Another speed increase

Comments

• Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick_2005 wrote: »
    Might be a bit late into the game with this info
    but got my e mail yesterday. saying hit the big red button to upgrade etc., Went onto the virgin page and did it.

Speed gone up from 60 to 100 this morning.

area
    North London.

I'm not sure when my speed was increased but I have just done a speed check today (Cambridge area) and I'm getting 105 Mbps. Whooo. Only 6 Mpbs up which is slightly annoying but I can live with it.
  • Options
    shoestring25shoestring25 Posts: 4,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so no rebilling as im a bit worried about loosing my 18 month loyalty discount i have at the moment?
  • Options
    dallardicedallardice Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    My 152 upgrade now shows Jan-Jun 2015 on the website... Previously had been advised Jul-Dec 2014. N1 so fairly central in. London...
  • Options
    cmq2cmq2 Posts: 2,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BenMcr77 wrote: »
    No, it's not to tie people into new contracts.

It's because that for some people new kit is required so they need a delivery. To make it as simple a message as possible, the process is the same for everyone i.e. go to My VM and confirm you want the upgrade.

The system then sorts out if you need new kit or not.
    I received the upgrade to 50Mbps email and I clicked through. It says I need a Superhub and its £16 for delivery and enabling. The money is not burning a hole in my pocket and 20Mbps is currently more than enough.

What happens if I ignore? Do I get automatically upgraded and accept limitations of existing kit, or do I remain on 20Mb indefinitely?
  • Options
    Marti SMarti S Posts: 5,802
    Forum Member
    cmq2 wrote: »
    I received the upgrade to 50Mbps email and I clicked through. It says I need a Superhub and its £16 for delivery and enabling. The money is not burning a hole in my pocket and 20Mbps is currently more than enough.

What happens if I ignore? Do I get automatically upgraded and accept limitations of existing kit, or do I remain on 20Mb indefinitely?

You will remain on 20Mb until you get a superhub, if your current modem developed a fault they will replace it free of charge with a superhub
  • Options
    cmq2cmq2 Posts: 2,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for clarifying.
  • Options
    ChrissywisChrissywis Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    Just upgraded to the Big Kahuna bundle as it gives me XL TV for the same price as I was paying for M+. I was offered an SH 2, even though I already have SH 1, for a £20 delivery charge. New 12 month contract, although as I'm not going anywhere it doesn't bother me.
  • Options
    ScottishwhiteScottishwhite Posts: 1,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    152mb now available in G73 (Glasgow) speedtest reported 160Mb speed
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    Clicked the 30>50mb upgrade button on Friday, got an order reference via email, said it would be done in 3 working days but it's still not done and the 'track your orders' says there's no open order.

How long did it take people to get upgraded after clicking through?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    Sorry for double posting, just called them and their system had no idea I asked for the upgrade, even with the order reference from the email. Immediately upgraded me to 50mb with no reference to new contracts or anything.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    Clicked the 30>50mb upgrade button on Friday, got an order reference via email, said it would be done in 3 working days but it's still not done and the 'track your orders' says there's no open order.

How long did it take people to get upgraded after clicking through?

I had exactly the same experience this week, clicked the upgrade on Monday and waited patiently for an E-mail notifying me of the when it would happen.

Yesterday afternoon I decided to phone them, pleasant enough Lady advised that the request hadn't been processed due to some glitch at their end, said she'd do it while I waited .. minute or two later she said it was done, reboot the Router in 20 minutes time, anything else I can help you with etc.

Got off the phone and noticed my broadband had gone down, came back up a minute later without needing to reboot, and voila, 30>50GB upgrade for free.

So my suggestion is ignore the online upgrade, just phone them and ask to be upgraded.
  • Options
    camajcamaj Posts: 817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Odd. I've been using the postcode checker for a while and it keeps saying check back at the end of may for a date for my area. I check today expecting to find that I'll either have to check again at the end of this month or that the upgrade will be happening on a specific date in the near future. Surprisingly it appears to be live right now and I could order a self-install Superhub 2 for next week! Now I'm wishing that I'd checked sooner but after previous upgrades I had no expectations.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just had the 152Mb/s with Superhub 2 installed. Now showing 160 Mb/s on an ethernet connection and the wi-fi signal is better too.
  • Options
    razorramonrazorramon Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    i had email yesterday to upgrade from 30 to 50 meg, but will phone them and ask them to do it rather then send an email..:D
  • Options
    razorramonrazorramon Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    well just goes to show how cluless these virgin cutomers services are, i rang today, said i hadnt recieved my free upgrade, some indian chap, said you will get it in july...i said ive recieved an email to fill in and my upgrade should have been in a few days....no sorry sir ! you will get in july....so i hung up, rang again later spoke to a very nice english speaking lady, told her the problem she done it staright away 50meg, she did however said i need to upgrade to a new contract..no way i said mine expires in septemebr 2014 and i may leave...she checked and said ok thats fine then...so on 50 meg, but may leave in september 2014 , no doubt theyll try and keep me with a better offer..
  • Options
    donna255donna255 Posts: 10,200
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got an email on Monday evening about my upgrade to 50mg, so after reading decided I could self install. Phoned up yesterday and got a confused Indian guy who wanted to help me get my Windows 8.1 WiFi installed on super hub, which I hadn't got yet. There are no online instructions on 8.1 for some reason.

Got put through to a Scottish guy who insisted I could not get a Superhub 2 free, explained email said yes I would. He went away spoke to supervisor who said yes, and its arriving on Friday.:D
  • Options
    Vertigo1Vertigo1 Posts: 439
    Forum Member
    razorramon wrote: »
    she did however said i need to upgrade to a new contract..no way i said mine expires in septemebr 2014 and i may leave...she checked and said ok thats fine then...so on 50 meg, but may leave in september 2014 , no doubt theyll try and keep me with a better offer..

I'm still not 100% clear on this contract business - it's not at all clear whether availing yourself of the upgrade ties you into a new 12/18 month contract or not.

The upgrade is finally available to me according to the VM website but I've yet to actually click the order button.
  • Options
    donna255donna255 Posts: 10,200
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got a new contract in the post yesterday, terms and conditions and telling me I only had to pay the £5.99 for the SuperHub 2 delivery. It did ask me to sign or return the product in 7 days.
  • Options
    Satellite JohnSatellite John Posts: 1,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I seem to have been given the bump from 30 to 50 without even requesting it! Is this normal? I just tested my speed and I am on 50, logged into My Virgin Media and it says I have been supercharged to 50. Will they have sneakily extended my contract? Or are Virgin just giving the upgrade to anybody already with a Superhub automatically? Many thanks.
  • Options
    Vertigo1Vertigo1 Posts: 439
    Forum Member
    Well FWIW, I went through with the upgrade and am now at 100/6.

There was no mention at any point about a contract extension.
  • Options
    DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cmq2 wrote: »

I am also on 20 Mbps. I don't know whether you were put off by the £16 charge - the e-mail I have just received asks for £5.99 for P&P and self-install, or £49.95 for a technician to do it. However, on closer reading I see that it says from those prices.

I doubt that I need the extra speed, but if it is indeed only £5.99 may go for it, even though it sometimes turns out that self install is a pain.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I got the free 20 to 50 upgrade. It did cost £5.99 for delivery and free install. Actually I was slightly miffed at that because from earlier emails last year it said it would be free so I thought that actually meant 'free'. Ah well though.

The self install is easy. Infact it's simpler than the setup guide says. In it it says something about having to have an account number and other details to give over the phone but when I phoned it (automated/prerecorded reply) just said to turn off the router whilst they sent a signal to the router (using virgin land line here) and within seconds it was activated.

Maybe the other method is if you're not a virgin phone customer.

The only problem is that my router died after three weeks. The tech came out (free) and swapped it and said it was an older Superhub2 and probably a faulty batch.

Not had any problems with the new Superhub (fingers crossed).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I got the free 20 to 50 upgrade. It did cost £5.99 for delivery and free install. Actually I was slightly miffed at that because from earlier emails last year it said it would be free so I thought that actually meant 'free'. Ah well though.

The self install is easy. Infact it's simpler than the setup guide says. In it it says something about having to have an account number and other details to give over the phone but when I phoned it (automated/prerecorded reply) just said to turn off the router whilst they sent a signal to the router (using virgin land line here) and within seconds it was activated.

Maybe the other method is if you're not a virgin phone customer.

The only problem is that my router died after three weeks. The tech came out (free) and swapped it and said it was an older Superhub2 and probably a faulty batch.

Not had any problems with the new Superhub (fingers crossed).

Did it take long to get up to speed? I was reading the instructions and they mention an hour to complete the process. I put it all together, made the call, was told it was activated and now my speed has gone down from 20 mbs to 1.95 mbs - not the increase to 50 mbs I was expecting! Perhaps I need to be patient? I am using a wired connection.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    No, it was instant.
    The modem/router takes a few minutes to boot up. Longer than my previous setup but when all the lights were on I was getting hits of 54Mbps.

I've tested other 'sources' and am getting greats download speeds off them as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    No, it was instant.
    The modem/router takes a few minutes to boot up. Longer than my previous setup but when all the lights were on I was getting hits of 54Mbps.

I've tested other 'sources' and am getting greats download speeds off them as well.

After an hour or so it went up to 25 Mbps at around 7pm. This morning it is 31.31 Mpbs, so a long way off the 50 I had hoped for (although obviously it is within the "up to 50" promised by the e-mail).

Were you asked to return your previous router? All I saw was a sticker on one bag about recycling and directing me to recycle-more.co.uk which is a far from helpful site. My router had been replaced not so very long ago by a Netgear VMDG280.