Options

LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 30)

Comments

• Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well having seen all the excitement this week about "Call me dave" i will defend Iain Dale.

He is a publisher of books simple as that his company published this one no doubt because they thought it would be entertaining and sell lots of copies.

Now i doubt he believes it will have a lasting effect on David Cameron most people will just move on,and i think it shows Lord Ashcroft in a far worse light as somebody who nakedly was expecting a position high in the cabinet for his cash.

All in all i think its provided some entertainment as well as hours worth of calls to LBC job done without any real damage.

And Iain Dale even took calls on it i do not agree with everything Iain Dale says but on this fair dos . :)
  • Options
    CayceCayce Posts: 9,845
    Forum Member
    You took the words right out of my mouth.

Quite right too!

Don't let the political hardliners on this forum get the better of you.;-). They love to indoctrinate.
  • Options
    BirdyboyBirdyboy Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    BurlyBeaR wrote: »
    I don't know who Kate Smurfitt is (a comedienne apparently) but La Hopkins is running rings round her on Olly Mann's show tonight.

Here she is ..a walking mouth..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uly0gZny2IY
  • Options
    Hey_HoHey_Ho Posts: 2,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pedro wrote: »
    Dunno really ................. probably something to do with the "useless eaters" thing.

I don't think pensioners are useless eaters. I put that because there was a remark about Hitler's thinking and that's what his lot called people they thought didn't contribute to society. I think I should stick to slagging off Fanny Allen and Gobber, no-one gets the wrong end of the stick then. :D
  • Options
    clitheroe1clitheroe1 Posts: 4,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cayce wrote: »
    I feel your pain. That Vodaphone ad is top of my hit list at the moment for the most annoying. Aarghh !!!!!

Is that the as with the Douglas Cameron sound-alike voice artist?
  • Options
    clitheroe1clitheroe1 Posts: 4,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cayce wrote: »
    Hard left political views effectively transpose to those on the far right. Best to ignore the hardliners is what I say. Stay healthy!! :D

I thought the discussion was about the relative contribution that old and young people make to society and public services, not a left or right issue that you are trying to turn it into.
  • Options
    NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    Oscar_ wrote: »
    There may have been a Nick from Brentwood who called in, but if you folks are making reference to the call made to Brian by The Award-Winning Nick Margerrison it was from the Talk2Me Radio studio complex which is in BrentFORD.

You're right Oscar it was BrentFORD and that Nick, I stand corrected. Thank you for picking up on it. I heard a clip and I liked the way he dissected the tactics used on phone ins and how he tried to counter them.
  • Options
    redvers36redvers36 Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. I normally love Ferrari's show but the way he said "Nigel Farrage invited me along" sounded like they were close personal friends!

I don't think James O'Brien is "a bad example" of the phone-in genre at all. I think that when a person calls O'Brien's show they need to prepare themselves for the fact that he might be a bit abrupt with them but he is usually only like this when the caller is talking rubbish. O'Brien is a master of arguing and some callers just can't cope with the way he runs his show. You have to make your point quickly and, if you don't agree with James, be prepared to have your opinion picked apart, so callers with opinions contrary to James' should be very sure of themselves before calling in.

James O'Brien's show is different and certainly not the friendliest on the station but once you listen to him for a while you get the measure of the man and as callers and listeners we just have to accept that that's the way he does things. As long as it makes a good show (which it usually does) then I have no issue with it.

The problem with that is James O'Brien's habit of saying "thanks caller" and cutting people off when he has been bested. If you have not spotted that then you have not spotted a major reason why his show is on a downwards spiral as the list of people he has done that to grows and grows.
  • Options
    PedroPedro Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    Hey_Ho wrote: »
    I don't think pensioners are useless eaters. I put that because there was a remark about Hitler's thinking and that's what his lot called people they thought didn't contribute to society. I think I should stick to slagging off Fanny Allen and Gobber, no-one gets the wrong end of the stick then. :D
    No worries ole mate .................. it was a general question anyway not particularly directed at you. I just tagged it onto the last relevant post. :)
  • Options
    BurlyBeaRBurlyBeaR Posts: 5,696
    Forum Member
    radio lady wrote: »
    What is even more interesting than the blog are the comments at the end. Two pages of them and as far as I could see only one positive comment. There's a lot of well-deserved anger directed at him. He can't be a happy bunny at the moment.
    Couldn't happen to a nicer man.

I'm afraid Iain is becoming more and more up himself. That blog oozes pomposity and isn't dissimilar to the one he published the day after OAP-gate which he had to hastily retract.
    I find I don't listen to drive as often or for as long these days, because he's turning into a bit of a nob.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Old scrawny-ass "Mildred" Pierce seems to attract a very particular kind of female caller. Hyacinth Bucket types, I have them in my minds eye as.
    They probably think he's a nice polite boy and wonder why he hasn't found MissRight yet :D

Do they realise he's walking around with that ridiculous syrup on his head, and a set of Rylan Clark style veneers in a face that's like a crumpled up paper bag? The very worst kind of ageing homosexual, still thinks he's 29.

Dreadful.

http://tinypic.com/r/11jb4b8/8
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Birdyboy wrote: »
    Here she is ..a walking mouth..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uly0gZny2IY

She has mega hairy armpits. :o
  • Options
    HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    Old scrawny-ass "Mildred" Pierce seems to attract a very particular kind of female caller. Hyacinth Bucket types, I have them in my minds eye as.
    They probably think he's a nice polite boy and wonder why he hasn't found MissRight yet :D

Do they realise he's walking around with that ridiculous syrup on his head, and a set of Rylan Clark style veneers in a face that's like a crumpled up paper bag? The very worst kind of ageing homosexual, still thinks he's 29.

Dreadful.

http://tinypic.com/r/11jb4b8/8

Hmmm, it's a pity that you cannot post a picture of yourself on this site. I bet you're no Gleb Savchenko!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    HHGTTG wrote: »
    Hmmm, it's a pity that you cannot post a picture of yourself on this site. I bet you're no Gleb Savchenko!

I can assure you I am hot stuff! :p

I am not however mutton trying to be lamb, like Mildred is.
  • Options
    Forum Member

You didn't mention the dyed hair and some bonus points for you then.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Andrew Pierce sounds a right dreary Mary.

Is this really Leading Britain's Conversation?
  • Options
    Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clitheroe1 wrote: »
    Because 18 year olds have to pay for their own tuition and maintenance fees and are unable to claim most benefits, they largely pay for themselves.

On the other hand, older people would have had their education and social security paid for by previous generations. Older people are also largely reliant on younger people to fund their state old age pensions, pay for their health care and contribute to their social care whereas recent legislations means that in the future young people will have to make a bigger contribution to these areas themselves. Today's young people, in effect, will be paying twice whereas today's older generation will only have paid once. So if you're asking who will make the bigger contribution to public services over their lifetime, the answer is young people of today.

A 58 year old starting work in 1975 would have paid basic rate income tax of 35%. A graduate getting a job will only pay 29% even with the student loan repayment included, and that rate only comes in over £21,000.
  • Options
    Oscar_Oscar_ Posts: 3,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've googled but failed to find this award Nick Margerrison had bestowed on him. Could you elaborate?
    Now look here my lad, when he was doing programmes on LBC he made it quite clear that he is award-winning. When Talk2Me Radio gets going I expect he will be one of the presenters on the schedule (along with The Award-Winning Jon Gaunt) so if you require any further clarification you will be able to phone him up and ask him directly. It is after all going to be "The Home Of Free Speech" unlike the heavily restricted LBC.
  • Options
    Virgin QueenVirgin Queen Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HHGTTG wrote: »

I didn't have you down as a Strictly fan, Hitch.
    I watch bits of it occasionally but have never felt strongly enough about any of the dancers to research their full names.
    What a pity we can't post photos here. I'd bet that our very own BB would compare very favourably to your Gleb.
  • Options
    Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a gentleman Sir Anthony Seldon comes across as. An author interested in facts and not third hand uncorroborated hearsay.
  • Options
    JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    I watch bits of it occasionally but have never felt strongly enough about any of the dancers to research their full names.
    What a pity we can't post photos here. I'd bet that our very own BB would compare very favourably to your Gleb.

I'm no fan either, but I have just seen the pics of the new South African female dancer and my interest in dance has rocketed. I may just be found sitting with my wife watching it for the first time ever.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I've watched all series of SCD as I was once a keen ballroom and Ice dancer in my younger years - anything with an artistic bent.
    Many of my dislikes about SCD include the often inappropriate chosen music and that almost all, are accompanied by screeching singers.
  • Options
    connor the judgconnor the judg Posts: 8,961
    Forum Member
    Oscar_ wrote: »
    Now look here my lad, when he was doing programmes on LBC he made it quite clear that he is award-winning. When Talk2Me Radio gets going I expect he will be one of the presenters on the schedule (along with The Award-Winning Jon Gaunt) so if you require any further clarification you will be able to phone him up and ask him directly. It is after all going to be "The Home Of Free Speech" unlike the heavily restricted LBC.
    Maybe Nick could take the role of the presenter and Jon can be the producer. It was the BBC 3 Counties Radio breakfast show that won the award (which he was the presenter of) so, he didn't win the awards.

It won't be "The Home Of Free Speech" because only those who agree with Jon will be on. That's not free speech.
  • Options
    Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I was right - you are female .Minxy take note ;-)
  • Options
    coulsdon59coulsdon59 Posts: 2,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, he isn't. I get the impression he'll be doing occasional pieces, which he can no doubt fit in with his LBC show and Newsnight gigs. He seems to be operating on the sensible freelance principle of get the work when you can, while you can,.

Ahh, the James Max and Paul Ross principle: "Yes, I'll do it!".
This discussion has been closed.