Options

Supersize vs Superskinny CH4 8pm

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    IHow can you sail past 20 stone and then 25 stone and not realise what's going on?

Exactly. It shows a complete and utter lack of self respect and self discipline. It's her fault and her fault alone that's she's fat. What she's done to herself is a disgrace.

It annoys me the way some (not all) fat folk blab on about how they've tried everything going but can't lose weights. They've obvioulsy not tried eating and drinking less to be in a calorie deficit because that's how you drop the fat.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    RuthStar wrote: »
    II know most of it was self inflicted

It's ALL self inflicted but yes, it's sad to see the state some people let themselves get into.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DevilGirl wrote: »
    I only eat the meat what i eat as i was told by the doctor to eat more red meat.

the only meat i like is chicken and mice, sauages and burgers. I dont really like beef or lamb or pork but i eat it i dont even eat the fatty bits of the meat i pick them all of

You win the award for TYPO OF THE YEAR! :D:D:D
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find it very hard to drum up understanding/sympathy of/for the larger girl. IIRC she was barely 20 years old and nearly thirty stone ... that's seriously heavy for one so young ! A BMI of 60 for goodness sake's. She must have been eating 24/7/365 for years !

How can you sail past 20 stone and then 25 stone and not realise what's going on ?!? Couldn't a third party (her mother) not have said something at some point ?

The thing is she was large from a very early age, you have to be to get that big by the time you're 20. Weight gain isn't over night.. you don't go to bed one night and wake up 1 stone heavier and go 'Golly, that McDonalds was a bad idea!'. It's a very slow progression and if she was large from her young childhood, it's perhaps a 'normal' state for her.

And you're quite right, her mother should have done something, but her mother was large too and it came out during the show that her mother was perhaps comfort feeding herself and her daughter due to the collapse of her relationship.

It's not the first time a large mother has been on TV with her large daughter and there has been a relationship break up in the past that has left them both alone. I think that then encourages bad habits and it just snow balls from there. But it's a slow progression.

And for some people change is very very difficult to implement in their lives. They may want to change their ways but for some it's a very real struggle. I know some people think dieting is the easiest thing in the world and losing weight is the easiest thing in the world but when you do something as a habit, it's quite often very difficult to break the cycle over a long period of time.

I guess what i'm saying is go easy on the girl. I'm sure she quite knows what her issues are and she doesn't need us condemning her.
  • Options
    HDCriticalFanHDCriticalFan Posts: 1,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anybody there ?

The "cheese monster" versus the "yo-yo" girl was the most disturbing episode of the show yet - with the most mentally disturbed people we've seen so far. These people seriously need help ! You know it's serious when the Dr. refers someone to an anorexia expert after the conclusion of the programme :eek:

Once again, for a young feller who has reached nearly 30 stone to only lose 1.5 of them in three months is inexcusable. What on earth is his problem !!! He has a fairly attractive partner who, we are told, has recently lost 5 stone herself. They used to go mountain biking and she is doing it again ... but he doesn't go along with her !

What could be easier than to join with your partner doing something you both like ? And with her already being "on the wagon" food-wise it would surely be a piece of cake (OK, bad wording) for him to join in and lose bucket loads of weight .

The girl shocked me when she revealed that she used to weight 17 stone, then dropped to (a sensible) 10 stone or so ... and has she has shrunk to below 8 stone and is "frightened to eat" in case she balloons again :eek:

Once more, putting on only 2lbs in three months is worrying. That's the weight of two pints of water (which she could have scoffed in the car park before the final weigh-in).
  • Options
    guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone else ready to watch...I missed last week..:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yup i'm watching. Hope it's another successful change week. It's always a shame when they come back and don't seem to have embraced change.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear Danni's diet is appalling....:(
  • Options
    BillyBattyBillyBatty Posts: 7,009
    Forum Member
    Why do they think overweight people always have psychological problems. Maybe they just enjoy food a bit too much
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BillyBatty wrote: »
    Why do they think overweight people always have psychological problems. Maybe they just enjoy food a bit too much

Well considering the larger lady goes into a forest just to secretly stuff her face with food.. I'd suggest theres an underlying issue there somewhere. But good for her that she is being so honest.. she could have easily held back that detail.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    I'm enjoying the sections featuring people with eating disorder this series. As someone who is recovering (almost recovered!) from anorexia with a binge/purge subtype its nice to see us represented for once. I hope Erin is starting to get better now she has realised the extent of her disorder, she seems like such a lovely girl who deserves so much better than the illness.
  • Options
    peach45peach45 Posts: 9,426
    Forum Member
    The interesting thing about Erin is that inspite of her illness she always seemed to be the most together of the three. She seemed to be the most confident and always seem to say the right thing, but i did wonder how much of that was just a front. I hope she manages to get herself together soon, I hope they all do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The American lady's story is very sad...she so needs to take control of her eating..:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Angel was very brave I thought, I certainly wouldn't have been able to expose myself to that extent.
  • Options
    BillyBattyBillyBatty Posts: 7,009
    Forum Member
    The American lady's story is very sad...she so needs to take control of her eating..:(

Shes been eating too much of that deep fried plaintain and Aunt Jemima's sweet potato pie
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How old is Vicky, she looks prematurely aged?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    peach45 wrote: »
    How old is Vicky, she looks prematurely aged?

Think she said early twenties.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    Vicky to me seemed naturally thin, I believe she really did change her eating habits and it didn't seem so much difference. I mean 4lbs could easily be TOM fluctuation, or chugging down some water before the weigh in.

I wonder if they'll do a recap at the end at how the ed girls are doing now?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i love this show, but was actually thinking last night, do you think there might be a US version!? Could you imagine the extremities of the diets in that!? :O
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to know what the people with easting disorders from last year are at? Have they gone back to the eating disorder, are they currently on the mend?

This series sad to see Erin so ill. bUT now she's out of the rest of the series we will never know if she is cured. Saying that we won't know about the ones who are on it either I don'tt hink
  • Options
    HDCriticalFanHDCriticalFan Posts: 1,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well considering the larger lady goes into a forest just to secretly stuff her face with food.. I'd suggest theres an underlying issue there somewhere. But good for her that she is being so honest.. she could have easily held back that detail.

True.

But she's another one who only managed to lose a little over a stone in what I believe is three months. I can't see how you can be massively overweight (24 stone), have a daily calorific intake of almost 2x the recommended for your age, height and gender and "fully embrace" a good diet/exercise regime ... and then only lose a stone :confused:

When I was barely just over a stone overweight I took a look at my diet and cut back on my excessive sugar intake. I added a little more exercise to my life and lost almost all of that stone in five months. I've just checked my diary - in the first three months I lost ten pounds. That's the best part of a stone ... from a person that was barely "overweight" ... without a "major change" to my diet or lifestyle. It makes me wonder how many of these people really fully embrace the Doctor's instructions.
  • Options
    solaresolare Posts: 11,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't really understand what the week of swapping diets is supposed to achieve. Both the underweight and the overweight people usually have revolting diets so swapping just substitutes their usual diet with something equally revolting (just in a diifferent quantity).

I would have thought after one day of swapping diets (to illustrate how bad they are), it would be more useful to to give them both really healthy balanced meals and normal portions for the rest of the week. It would still be a struggle for both of them to eat "normal" portions but at least they would have something delicious to eat and hopefuly be more tempted to change their eating habits.
  • Options
    Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    solare wrote: »
    I don't really understand what the week of swapping diets is supposed to achieve. Both the underweight and the overweight people usually have revolting diets so swapping just substitutes their usual diet with something equally revolting (just in a diifferent quantity).

I would have thought after one day of swapping diets (to illustrate how bad they are), it would be more useful to to give them both really healthy balanced meals and normal portions for the rest of the week. It would still be a struggle for both of them to eat "normal" portions but at least they would have something delicious to eat and hopefuly be more tempted to change their eating habits.

I agree. It's not as if the skinny ones generally eat smaller portions of good food. It's just smaller portions of the crap the larger person would eat. I'm sure it would be more beneficial to introduce them to the benefits of a balanced diet and exercise while they still in the feeding clinic.

Although last night the larger lady did seem genuinely horrified by the quantity and type of food she was eating, so maybe there is some benefit.
  • Options
    ShizukuShizuku Posts: 2,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solare wrote: »

I think it is for the shock value, because these people have developed extreme eating habits without realising it, the only thing I think that will shock them enough to bring them to their senses is to show them and make them experience a diet at the other end of the extreme, one that they find shocking.

Also, regarding the loss/gain of weight, it's Dr Christian who gives them the diet plan and I imagine he designs it so that it's gradual, so it's not too hard for them to stick to and so that they can appreciate the hard work it takes to mend their problem hopefully putting them off ever reverting back to their old ways. If it was more extreme I think there would be a risk of yo-yo dieting happening.