Options

E-cig cancer chemicals up to 15 times higher than tobacco say experts

Comments

• Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    I've come across a fair few attitudes on here that have differed from mine. Some are just disagreement, some are offensive, some are crazy. But that's by far the most dangerous.

It looked like an attempt to normalise ignorance.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Richard46 wrote: »
    Sorry never worked out cost but must be a lot less than that. The PG & VG which is the main ingredients by bulk cost pennies per ml. I get the VG from Boots.

http://www.boots.com/en/Value-Health-Glycerin-B-P-200ml_852418/

Big bottles of 72mg nic and PG from http://everythingliquid.co.uk/

Concentrate nic free flavours from Cloud9, TJuice; Flavourart and others.

Have a look at UKVapers esp the mixing forum

http://ukvapers.org/Thread-Buying-diy-supplies

Good Luck

Edit I use this simple mixing calculator there are better ones

http://www.todmuller.com/ejuice/ejuice.php

That all looks very interesting. I'll bookmark this thread. I've been using standard ilovevapour, eGo and Vivid kits, that is 10ml (18mg/24mg) bottles, atomizers, batteries and chargers and at the latest calculation is 66p a day, but it looks like it could be done even for less than that.
  • Options
    EvieJEvieJ Posts: 6,039
    Forum Member
    jclock66 wrote: »
    Your posts seem to be anti vaping yet you do it yourself, it's all rather bizarre.

You need to re read them in isolation from other posters suggestions.
  • Options
    jclock66jclock66 Posts: 2,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EvieJ wrote: »
    You need to re read them in isolation from other posters suggestions.

Do you vape yourself? You seem concerned by the effects of it.. Probably best to stop if you have doubts.
  • Options
    1manonthebog1manonthebog Posts: 3,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been vaping a couple of years now and to be honest what worried me is that in say 20 years time they will discover these things are deadly, Remember when they used to promote cigs then discovered they are deadly, I fear the same will happen here
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've been vaping a couple of years now and to be honest what worried me is that in say 20 years time they will discover these things are deadly, Remember when they used to promote cigs then discovered they are deadly, I fear the same will happen here

Probably best that you give them up then.
  • Options
    fastzombiefastzombie Posts: 10,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    There is a very obvious sub text here, that is almost transparent. The tobacco industry is terrified of losing customers.

I'm wonderin if it's the tobacco industry, who in the main seem to be getting on board with e cigs in many cases. Pharma and government might be the driving force.
  • Options
    SmithmanSmithman Posts: 6,184
    Forum Member
    Oh Richard, still overly selective with the information you supply I see. I will ask you not to use me for your agenda. If you want to promote vaping with such mis information and bias do it else where where you dont need to hear other opinions or stick to the points.

I don't think Richard46 is the one with an agenda here.
    When smoking first catch on tests for carcinogens and in fact what carcinogens were or that they caused cancer were not know at all.

Now we know and since learning that, they have been able to state categorically that smoking is bad for you.

E-cigs when used correctly and using a reputable liquid have been tested and found not to produce carcinogens,

You seem to relish playing devils advocate to the point of being an obvious wind-up merchant and play around with inventing grey scaremongering areas where there aren't any. 'We do know, so they could' we do know that when used correctly they don't produce carcinogens and ALL the other chemicals are found in other products such as tomatoes and toothpaste. But of course you know of this and are just playing games.

Personally I think you are an anti hiding and pretending to be basically for them but being subversive to get your little scaremongering agenda across.

When a new food product comes onto the market it is tested for chemicals that may harm us and if none are found then it can go on the market. But I don't see you popping up and saying 'Oh but this is a new food and so we don't know what the long term effects are like we didn't with smoking'. You just love to mix things with other things that are not connected in your game playing.

The fact that you only apply this concern to e-cigs and you are notorious on every single e-cig thread has exposed your gameplan.

Sometimes, just sometimes I wish there was a "Like" button on DS.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And based on my posts rather than others, what do you think my agenda is smithman?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And based on my posts rather than others, what do you think my agenda is smithman?

Personally I have no problem with people having an agenda so long as the say what it is. e.g. You say you want compromise but do not define what you mean by that.

BTW still waiting for you to identify the mis-information you say I have been using.

I think it is time to accept that you cannot find it. But I live in hope nontheless. :D
  • Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    jclock66 wrote: »
    Do you vape yourself? You seem concerned by the effects of it.. Probably best to stop if you have doubts.

I think they are waiting for someone else to tell them to stop. Sort of a submissive fetish. They can't do anything until someone in power commands them.

I mean come on what are they waiting for? Zero carcinogens and the chemicals that are used are already tried and tested in other products, including food for, decades.

How they go out for their front door when it's raining and they haven't had the direct OK from the Medical Council on what the raindrop may contain, I don't know.
  • Options
    Forum Member

BTW still waiting for you to identify the mis-information you say I have been using.

I think it is time to accept that you cannot find it. But I live in hope nontheless. :D

Despite this being unconstructive to the topic, and obviously more personal in nature than necessary, your continued requests call for a reply. We'll look at a recent example
    How strange from one of the most prolific posters on all the vaping threads. ( [indeed you have revived lagging ones so what is going on Evie)

You once asked me what my interest in vaping was[what is yours, and why are you trying to stop turnbull making his impartial point on here? Because it corrects a piece of misinformation about vaping? No then why not?

When have I revived lagging threads
    You asked what my interest was and I answered, before I asked you that question
    If you've read my post as trying to stop Turnbull, its your interpretation based on one post own it as such, Id say it was a suggestion
    Corrects misinformation, at best its a flawed study and not the only one I'm sure, we cant claim it proves anything

This is my reply to that post that you now so desperately need clarity on
    Oh Richard, still overly selective with the information you supply I see. I will ask you not to use me for your agenda. If you want to promote vaping with such mis information and bias do it else where where you dont need to hear other opinions or stick to the points.

Speculate on the subject by all means but if you need to publicly make some sort of inaccurate suggestion about me personally or my agenda, back it up. And dont embarrass either of us by providing half a quote taken out of context or by ignoring numerous others that contradict you.

And again, I respectfully ask that you NOT use me personally in an attempt to undermine an opposing opinion. Convince us with good points, not boring, time consuming underhand tactics.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Despite this being unconstructive to the topic, and obviously more personal in nature than necessary, your continued requests call for a reply. We'll look at a recent example

When have I revived lagging threads
    You asked what my interest was and I answered, before I asked you that question
    If you've read my post as trying to stop Turnbull, its your interpretation based on one post own it as such, Id say it was a suggestion
    Corrects misinformation, at best its a flawed study and not the only one I'm sure, we cant claim it proves anything

This is my reply to that post that you now so desperately need clarity on

Speculate on the subject by all means but if you need to publicly make some sort of inaccurate suggestion about me personally or my agenda, back it up. And dont embarrass either of us by providing half a quote taken out of context or by ignoring numerous others that contradict you.

And again, I respectfully ask that you NOT use me personally in an attempt to undermine an opposing opinion. Convince us with good points, not boring, time consuming underhand tactics.

Well I will stop asking you to identify where I have used mis-information to promote vaping as clearly you cannot; but at least you finally had a go at it.

May I ask if you are so concerned about the dangers of vaping do you plan to give it up? You have often said you regard it as preferable to smoking so I hope you are not tempted to start again.
  • Options
    PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    That all looks very interesting. I'll bookmark this thread. I've been using standard ilovevapour, eGo and Vivid kits, that is 10ml (18mg/24mg) bottles, atomizers, batteries and chargers and at the latest calculation is 66p a day, but it looks like it could be done even for less than that.

I bought their starter kit & can't wait to start making my own stuff.

http://www.thealchemistscupboard.co.uk/product/mixing%20kit

the forum he linked to is worthwhile joining too thousands of threads without the bitching this one seems to attract,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I bought their starter kit & can't wait to start making my own stuff.

the forum he linked to is worthwhile joining too thousands of threads without the bitching this one seems to attract,

They are a lovely load of people and can offer more advice than anyone could want.

It is the vaping makes them so calm. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nearly all my stuff arrived today, the mvp 2.0 with spare wicks & coils & the iclear 30 tank + my starter kit from the alchemists cupboard i got the tobacco flavouring to start with just because that's what i'm used to. just waiting for the natilus now.

thank so much for that info Richard, i'm really excited about doing this properly & ditching the stick battery things + making my own juice. really appreciate those links you posted.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tellystar wrote: »
    Why didn't the government start winding down the tobacco industry years ago, so people in the trade could leave retrain, grow other crops etc.
    There must be other things that could be done to make up for the loss of revenue from tobacco ?
    Now they don't want to clamp down on smoking, because they get so much in tax, yet the NHS is buckling under the weight of paying for smoking related diseases.
    A halt has to be called somewhere!

Eh? 2013 figures - £18.7bn tobacco tax revenue. £12.9bn cost of smoking related diseases to the NHS AND fire services etc. so I think you'll find, that far from buckling under the cost, smokers are propping themselves up (even more if you're a working PAYE smoker) and then some.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think they are waiting for someone else to tell them to stop. Sort of a submissive fetish. They can't do anything until someone in power commands them..

Because I'm notorious for buckling under pressure :p

Perhaps. And if the manufacturers are permitted to do what they did with tobacco its probable. But I think lessons have been learnt. :)

This is an eliquid supplier, its good that there are forums for people with similar interests and opinions where they can discuss, rant, advise and share unchallenged by others who may strongly disagree.

Perhaps an appreciation or even an anti thread on here would be less "bitchy". They too would attract people with common interest and similar opinion, less detractors, less defensiveness.

This thread of course isn't one of those, and as such is should be a place for all opinions. Posters approach to that is their personal responsibility. Quite enlightening though ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    nearly all my stuff arrived today, the mvp 2.0 with spare wicks & coils & the iclear 30 tank + my starter kit from the alchemists cupboard i got the tobacco flavouring to start with just because that's what i'm used to. just waiting for the natilus now.

thank so much for that info Richard, i'm really excited about doing this properly & ditching the stick battery things + making my own juice. really appreciate those links you posted.

Good Luck. I only vape tobacco flavours but I think I am in a minority on that. But then I really enjoyed smoking and never really wanted to give up. (Well to be honest I did and I didn't). Certainly many vapers choose flavours completely unrelated to smoking.

See you on UKVapers perhaps. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This is an eliquid supplier...

i know what it is.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 386
    Forum Member
    lets just say dont smoke now its all bad!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Good Luck. I only vape tobacco flavours but I think I am in a minority on that. But then I really enjoyed smoking and never really wanted to give up. (Well to be honest I did and I didn't). Certainly many vapers choose flavours completely unrelated to smoking.

See you on UKVapers perhaps. :)

I only vape tobacco flavours as well, but yes, we are a minority.

But I do this as a healthier alternative to smoking so I can't get my head around how sucking on apple favour all day caters for that. I hated menthol cigarettes as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    where they can discuss, rant, advise and share unchallenged by others who may strongly disagree.

They have nothing to disagree about, They have NOTHING!

But there you are again playing your silly little games slipping them in like they have something valid to say.

It's like the gay issue where the religious demand to be taken seriously and that they have something valid to bring to the bate and should be listened to. They also have nothing and more and more people are waking up to that fact and just ignoring them.

Idiots who say "I strongly disagree with [something that can't be disagreed with and/or they have nothing to support their position]", are in fact just that, idiots!

"WAAAAAAAAAA!!!!! I strongly disagree with e-cigs! WAAAAAAA"
    "Why is that?"
    "WAAAAAAAAAA cos I am and that's that!"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i know what it is.

Didn't mean to suggest you didn't know pencil. Just expanding on your point :-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They have nothing to disagree about, They have NOTHING!

But there you are again playing your silly little games slipping them in like they have something valid to say.

It's like the gay issue where the religious demand to be taken seriously and that they have something valid to bring to the bate and should be listened to. They also have nothing and more and more people are waking up to that fact and just ignoring them.

Idiots who say "I strongly disagree with [something that can't be disagreed with and/or they have nothing to support their position]", are in fact just that, idiots!

"WAAAAAAAAAA!!!!! I strongly disagree with e-cigs! WAAAAAAA"
    "Why is that?"
    "WAAAAAAAAAA cos I am and that's that!"
    On the other side of the argument we have medical experts who claim
    Two things are now clear. First, the advocates of e-cigarettes seem only willing to engage on their own terms. Second, anyone with the temerity to suggest that e-cigarettes are anything other than the game changing solution to the problem of tobacco will be subject to grossly offensive attacks, with growing evidence that these are being orchestrated
    http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736%2814%2962366-7/fulltext?rss=yes

It seems bizarre to me that so many posters on e-cig threads are so defensive of e-cigs as if they have a vested interest in claiiming they are pefectly safe and promoting their use, it is like watching what some call "Buyer's Stockholm Syndrome", or people who want to claim victimhood that they are some vulnerable minority group under attack, rather than as users of e-cigs a vested interest in e-cigs actually being safe or as safe as possilbe.

Talking the research that promoted this thread I do not see how say having the product voltage limited so the product does not produce the harmful chemicals would be a bad thing, afterall those cliaming to "debunk" the research claim no one uses the products at those higher voltages anyway.

To me the debunkers argument is like claiming an electric kettle does not need to have a automatic off in the event someone tries to use an empty electric kettle, because regardless of the adverse effects of doing so say a house fire, when people use a kettle they put water in it as they are trying to boil water not set their house on fire. So any criticism of the electic kettle with no safety cutoff is unfounded. When they should as users of the product want the product to be as safe as possible.