Options

The Voice Series 3 is a huge ratings success

2»

Comments

• Options
    DalwhatDalwhat Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    BBC rescheduled it precisely for this reason. The auditions aren't the problem. It's the battle rounds and beyond that the interest wanes unless they've done something about the format.
  • Options
    Gail forceGail force Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    gillypanda wrote: »
    I think a lot of it was to do with a certain Miss Minogue. I hope people stick around after the initial novelty of seeing her :)

I think it would be more realistic to ask. how many people actually switched off or changed channels because of Kylie's boring look at me acting like a 14 year old act. If some of the comments in the DM are to be believd i would suspect at least a couple of million were struggling with her behavior on saturday night.
  • Options
    SlojoSlojo Posts: 4,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gail force wrote: »
    I think it would be more realistic to ask. how many people actually switched off or changed channels because of Kylie's boring look at me acting like a 14 year old act. If some of the comments in the DM are to be believd i would suspect at least a couple of million were struggling with her behavior on saturday night.

Here is your answer -- The show gained viewers throughout the 90 minutes so any that switched off were more than replaced by people tuning in and staying with the show.

The Voice UK - Breakdown
    19:00 - 5.75m (25.88%)
    19:05 - 6.35m (27.57%)
    19:10 - 6.87m (29.32%)
    19:15 - 7.17m (30.97%)
    19:20 - 7.34m (31.00%)
    19:25 - 7.75m (32.38%)
    19:30 - 7.89m (33.17%)
    19:35 - 8.35m (34.91%)
    19:40 - 8.43m (34.62%)
    19:45 - 8.51m (35.50%)
    19:50 - 8.62m (35.35%)
    19:55 - 8.84m (36.09%)
    20:00 - 9.54m (38.95%)
    20:05 - 9.49m (38.30%)
    20:10 - 9.65m (38.80%)
    20:15 - 9.79m (39.44%)
    20:20 - 9.82m (38.92%)
    20:25 - 10.57m (42.59%)
  • Options
    twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm glad its done well. IMO it's a far better format than tired old X Factor, better judges, better singers, better song choices. Also not contrived and manipulated.

You would be surprised. It is a formatted show and it has to attract viewers so yes there is a script and manipulation. We all saw Sally's VT about her husband dying and she had to give up music to look after her family. We now know that this is not strictly true re her career. Oh no one lied just the way the VT implied :o
  • Options
    playitagainplayitagain Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    of course there is going to be some producer led slant on things but the tone of the show is markedly different to that of x-factor ,i like the voice and am glad of the good start to the ratings
  • Options
    fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member
    twingle wrote: »
    [/B]

You would be surprised. It is a formatted show and it has to attract viewers so yes there is a script and manipulation. We all saw Sally's VT about her husband dying and she had to give up music to look after her family. We now know that this is not strictly true re her career. Oh no one lied just the way the VT implied :o

This is what I can't seem to grasp, people talk of sob stories on the XF and not being about the singing! When the Voice is just as guilty of it! There are plenty of sob stories/crying/drama/scripted moments/manipulation on the Voice too! Also the producers select who gets through to the blinds (hence by invitation) so technically it's not really a blind audition (obviously there is another round of auditions which brings the 1000s to 80 or so people).

Anyway happy for the Voice - genuinely amazing first episode!
  • Options
    fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member
    Dalwhat wrote: »
    BBC rescheduled it precisely for this reason. The auditions aren't the problem. It's the battle rounds and beyond that the interest wanes unless they've done something about the format.

I don't think it's the battle rounds at all! That's probably the most exciting bit of the format. Anyway when interest declines it tends to happen after the episode which was bad rather than during the episode (eg a person can't predict the episode will be bad and switch off, they'll see what they saw and go I can't be bothered/I'm less keen to watch the next episode). So I think the last rounds of the auditions are responsible for the fall in the ratings of the battle rounds - not the battle rounds itself.
  • Options
    Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slojo wrote: »
    Here is your answer -- The show gained viewers throughout the 90 minutes so any that switched off were more than replaced by people tuning in and staying with the show.

The Voice UK - Breakdown
    19:00 - 5.75m (25.88%)
    19:05 - 6.35m (27.57%)
    19:10 - 6.87m (29.32%)
    19:15 - 7.17m (30.97%)
    19:20 - 7.34m (31.00%)
    19:25 - 7.75m (32.38%)
    19:30 - 7.89m (33.17%)
    19:35 - 8.35m (34.91%)
    19:40 - 8.43m (34.62%)
    19:45 - 8.51m (35.50%)
    19:50 - 8.62m (35.35%)
    19:55 - 8.84m (36.09%)
    20:00 - 9.54m (38.95%)
    20:05 - 9.49m (38.30%)
    20:10 - 9.65m (38.80%)
    20:15 - 9.79m (39.44%)
    20:20 - 9.82m (38.92%)
    20:25 - 10.57m (42.59%)

Great brake down there. If it wasn't for the low start, the ratings would have been higher.
  • Options
    BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone got episode 2 ratings?
  • Options
    tobitobi Posts: 2,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BRITLAND wrote: »
    Anyone got episode 2 ratings?
    I think it was down to around 7.6 million and the peak was down by over a million.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tobi wrote: »
    I think it was down to around 7.6 million and the peak was down by over a million.

Well it's still good I guess, it'll depend on how it goes this Saturday, I mean last Saturday's episode was more dull compared to the opening one but got better towards the end
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Very disappointed with the quality of the contestants this series and programme three doesn't sound any better judging by the clips on the app. Can't see the show going much beyond this series, maybe we've exhausted the talent pool of Great Britain?

One thing I've noticed however are the poor decisions made by the coaches based purely on the voice. It makes me start to believe that maybe this is not the best way to judge talent. How many times have we seen the judges regret ignoring a contestant when they turn out to be far younger than they believed, or that instead of being a professional as their voice would sound they are in fact complete rank amateurs? So many contestants have been overlooked because the coaches can't compare the voice with the potential.

Maybe the coaches should be given a crib sheet detailing the contestant's age and experience in order to gauge just how much they can develop?

Whatever the answer is, and maybe there isn't one, I feel there are a number of people ushered through to the next round that either can't hold a tune or else have no musicality to the point they can only sing a karaoke version of the original song. The entire format of the show has now made me begin to believe that it is fundamentally flawed and that maybe BGT is the better vehicle if it was restricted to singing.

Such a shame as I really enjoyed the first series, or at least the early stage.
  • Options
    tobitobi Posts: 2,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually thought the contestants last year weren't too bad. For me, not one person has stood out in the first two episodes. The X factor quality of contestants was also very bad with a Leanne type winner. I think we need to rest singing competitions for about 3 years
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually thought the contestants last year weren't too bad. For me, not one person has stood out in the first two episodes. The X factor quality of contestants was also very bad with a Leanne type winner. I think we need to rest singing competitions for about 3 years

TXF really should of took a break this year for five years instead of signing up for at least another three
  • Options
    Forum Member

To be fair I think there is probably plenty of untapped talent in the UK but the bona fide musicians are put off by the Big Brother brouhaha surrounding TXF or being upstaged by a dancing dog or a snivelling child in BGT.

The trouble with The Voice is that far too many good contestants fall through the cracks and entirely average ones desperately snapped up depending on the luck of where in the audition schedule they appear. Don't even get me started on the iniquities of the "battle round".

Kylie seems hell bent on turning around for anyone able to sing in time with the band (whether or not it's in tune is irrelevant) and Will I am sure is just wanting to be the last coach standing with available slots again. That said I do feel if I was there I wouldn't have turned around for anyone so far this series with the possible exception of Bob Blakeley. His failure to get a single coach to turn, for me, just goes to show the programme is not unearthing vocal essence but rather falls into the same trap of political machinations between coaches as any other comparable show.