Options

London buses are officially cash free today

Comments

• Options
    spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blgsmrss wrote: »
    Not everyone has a contactless debit card - I don't.

Then get a taxi and get cash out.

If you find yourself in a situation where you're stuck as you've only got no means of payment for anything other than just enough cash for a bus then you only have yourself to blame: What if the bus doesn't come due to an accident on the route or strike action, etc.
  • Options
    cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
    Forum Member
    Not surprised really. Despite the publicity, you'll almost invariably get a few people who won't have a clue what's going on. Bus passengers in general tend to have their collective heads in the clouds most of the time :)

The people had suitcases and were heading for the tube station.

They probably would have to get a cab

I think everyone really felt sorry for the couple.
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    can you pay with your phone assuming it's got nfc?

If you've got a contactless sticker from your bank then yes.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    can you pay with your phone assuming it's got nfc?

Yep. System went live 2 years ago .. although ..
    Fares are the same £1.35 you have to cough up with Oyster; but unlike Oyster, there's no daily "cap" and you can't put Travelcards on your contactless payment thing. So, this is more of a oh-shit-I-forgot-my-Oyster-card solution, not something to replace the Oyster card weighing down your back pocket

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2012/12/nfc-is-here-for-londons-buses/
    cantos wrote: »
    The people had suitcases and were heading for the tube station.

They probably would have to get a cab

I think everyone really felt sorry for the couple.

It's unfortunate, but my sympathy for them wouldn't be that great since they've likely used public transport in some form or another in the past few weeks anyway, so would have very highly likely heard at least one announcement about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's unfortunate, but my sympathy for them wouldn't be that great since they've likely used public transport in some form or another in the past few weeks anyway, so would have very highly likely heard at least one announcement about it.[/QUOTE]

That is an assumption that they have used public transport, not everyone does.
  • Options
    CrazyLoopCrazyLoop Posts: 31,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In fact, why not just have a national travel card that allows you to hop on and off buses anywhere? Top up like the Oyster or online and each time you use the card it recognises the bus company used for that journey so they get the money.

I guess the argument against is the cost of setting up etc

Now that would be AMAZING! Especially as a lot of routes around me are served by more than one company so least you could hop on whichever one arrives first saving yourself so much hassle if you're on a bus pass for one company only like I am
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is an assumption that they have used public transport, not everyone does.

True, but the very fact they were packed and heading for a tube station on a bus suggests they're fully aware of the transport system. The changeover has been advertised on the tube as well as the bus so while I concede that it's possible they may have missed any of the promotional announcements, I personally think it's unlikely.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    NII 88 wrote: »
    There may be an issue with using contactless debit cards, taken from a London bus forum:

"looking at the terms and conditions on my card it says you may still have to use the pin occasionally, how does that work on a bus?"

http://www.tangytango.*********.com/thread/8394/using-contactless-on-buses

AFAIK, all contact-less payments are limited to £20 per day/card, whether you are paying for bus journeys, beer, **** or for any other card transaction.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jra wrote: »
    AFAIK, all contact-less payments are limited to £20 per day/card, whether you are paying for bus journeys, beer, **** or for any other card transaction.

Just read on the bus forum that if your card needs to have a PIN entered then you have to get off and purchase something else from a shop so that you can enter a pin.

So contactless cards are a failure already.
  • Options
    dslrocksdslrocks Posts: 7,207
    Forum Member
    Haven't paid for a cash fare on the bus for years.

I've never got why they don't just have a load of parking meter style Oyster top up machines in the street that take cards only so that people can top up their Oyster cards and load seasons.

I think that accepting contactless cards on buses is a great invention, especially for infrequent bus users like me. There's no need for me to find a newsagent etc, I can just hop on, touch my card and be away.
    Also not everyone wants to use their credit card and not everyone has them. (also there has been issues with ppl being overcharged or charged by accident with contactless cards)
    People won't have any choice under this new system; although i don't get where the attitude comes from of being afraid to use a card to purchase small items. Maybe it stems from back in the day when we had ancient dial up machines that took ages, but the technology has improved a lot since then.

There will always be teething problems with the new system, and all such 'accidental' overcharges are more often than not, user error - such as presenting a wallet full of cards and the reader picking out one of them to charge from, rather than following the advice of touching the specific card you want to pay with on the reader.
    Although I do remember on the day of launch of contactless on buses my car broke down and I had to get the bus home, the bus driver thought I was crazy for wanting to pay with a bank card; poor staff training?!?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was reading on the Bus Forum that most cash payments on buses were traditionally late at night with people coming back from a night out.

The drivers are worried that puts them in a vulnerable position where they have decline to accept a fare to people that are fuelled with alcohol.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's not correct. It's a £20 per transaction limit on the card. Not per day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just read on the bus forum that if your card needs to have a PIN entered then you have to get off and purchase something else from a shop so that you can enter a pin.

A typically British Negative attitude. Everyday when I am on the bus, I see loads of people use these cards and I have not seen one who cannot use it. Anyway, the intention of TFL is for these cards to able to hold season tickets and other passes eventually.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Your post doesn't make sense.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your post doesn't make sense.

The poster is talking about the fact that every so often after a certain number of contactless transactions, you have to enter your pin in a shop as a security check. This is so that if a thief picks up your card, they can't get away with a huge amount on money. The vast majority of people will not use their cards contactlessy that much to make it happen when using a bus.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    That's not correct. It's a £20 per transaction limit on the card. Not per day.

Yeah, you're right. If you lose your card, then it's going to be a major fraud issue, as apparently you are only going to be asked periodically for your PIN, so you are relying on the bank giving you a refund for all transactions since your card was lost or stolen. I'm not comfortable with the fact that people can use my lost or stolen card to make purchases without requiring a PIN. We need a more secure system.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, you're right. If you lose your card, then it's going to be a major fraud issue, as apparently you are only going to be asked periodically for your PIN, so you are relying on the bank giving you a refund for all transactions since your card was lost or stolen. I'm not comfortable with the fact that people can use my lost or stolen card to make purchases without requiring a PIN. We need a more secure system.

Don't worry about that. It's fine. Most theives are not looking for these cards with a £20 limit each time they want a card where you use it fully. And you're fully protected with these cards just like you would be with any transaction. Visa, MasterCard and Amex have made sure of it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    Don't worry about that. It's fine. Most theives are not looking for these cards with a £20 limit each time they want a card where you use it fully. And you're fully protected with these cards just like you would be with any transaction. Visa, MasterCard and Amex have made sure of it.

I don't share your confidence tbh and I guess I'll only find out (just like with an insurance policy) how good or bad the refund system is when I need to make a claim.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was reading on the Bus Forum that most cash payments on buses were traditionally late at night with people coming back from a night out.

The drivers are worried that puts them in a vulnerable position where they have decline to accept a fare to people that are fuelled with alcohol.

Now I do sympathise with the drivers in that respect. It can't be very nice driving the night buses at the best of times, but being put in that position of having to turf off a number of drunken yobs who don't have oyster cards would be extremely worrying.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't share your confidence tbh and I guess I'll only find out (just like with an insurance policy) how good or bad the refund system is when I need to make a claim.

As I said Visa, MasterCard and Amex have mandated to banks to give customers the same protection as any other trasaction using Contactless.
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally don't have a problem with it as I have an auto top up Oyster. But I don't think it is good for a public service to refuse to accept legal tender.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally don't have a problem with it as I have an auto top up Oyster. But I don't think it is good for a public service to refuse to accept legal tender.

It's a myth that cash has to be accepted because it's Legal tender. You could pay someone in lemons if you like as long as both parties agree.
  • Options
    One UnitedOne United Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see this causing problems, which is why I voted against it when I was asked to vote a few months ago. I'm a frequent bus user and using an Oyster card is a lot faster, so I do like this idea but I can see people who don't use the bus that often being against it because not everyone is going to have an Oyster card on them.

They really need to have machines near the bus stops that allow you to purchase Oyster cards and top up credit onto them. I think that would end any argument for those who are against this idea.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    After 20 odd years of living in London and using the buses, I'm gagging for an Oystercard style system to come to my city.
    It takes an age to board 3 or 4 people on buses by me. When I had my Oystercard, we'd get 20 people boarded and be off within 30 seconds.
  • Options
    Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    It's a great idea for TfL.

Tourist wants a £3 fare, has to buy a £5 Oyster card - never to be used again.

Quids in.