Options

EE Paul Coker

Comments

• Options
    NickJordanNickJordan Posts: 717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh wow I never realised how weird it would be seeing Jonny in this. He's so different from the guy I knew at school yet somehow the same.
  • Options
    SoapAddict101SoapAddict101 Posts: 5,294
    Forum Member
    Couldn't disagree more. Tonight's episode was written by the very perceptive and well researched Daran Little oneof the finest writers on the show and i thought, considering the position Ben is in his life, these were beautiful and well acted and written scenes :p:p

Well for a Daran Little episode it felt very lazily written - although he is still head and shoulders above some of the writers. I hate to be negative about EastEnders, but I don't see why Ben/Paul had to get together within minutes of meeting each other, would've been much more interesting if we seen more Pam/Les/Paul so we get an insight to who he actually is. :)
  • Options
    GeekInfectedGeekInfected Posts: 6,372
    Forum Member
    eejm wrote: »
    Yes! I can totally see that!

I have a question about the Les/Claudette/Pam triangle. Based on Pam's joke about carrying on an affair for years without Les noticing, I'm guessing Les and Claudette have been an item for some time. When Paul spied the two of them walking off, they weren't doing anything suspicious. It's been established that Claudette has also known Les and Pam for years, which Paul would likely know as well, and it wouldn't seem unusual to see them talking together. So does that mean that Paul knows that Les and Claudette have been an item for a long time? Instead of Paul being upset about Pam's role in his father's death, has he stayed away because he's angry about Les's affair?

I was wondering this as well. I guessed that Claudette might be the reason Paul went travelling and upon further research it seems I'm right. This is what is implied in Paul's character profile.
  • Options
    Adrian_Ward1Adrian_Ward1 Posts: 13,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NickJordan wrote: »
    Oh wow I never realised how weird it would be seeing Jonny in this. He's so different from the guy I knew at school yet somehow the same.

What was he like in school. He was good last night :)
  • Options
    demented yoyodemented yoyo Posts: 4,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, and I kind of like how Paul explained (a little sadly) that he tended to attract closeted and already committed guys. Sure, their meeting was a little contrived, but I didn't think it was too over the top.

I loved the scene with Paul and Pam. :) Good start for Paul, looking forward to seeing more of him, and I hope Ben will start to get a bit more comfortable with his sexuality soon.
    He used to be comfortable with his sexuality until TPTB decided to throw him back in the closet.
    Mine too! :cool: Preferably when there are ladies involved but I'll take what I can get. :p Give me anything even slightly LGBTQ+ and I'm there. Even when I don't want to be. *sigh*

I liked Paul more than I was expected to, there's something very endearing about him. I like how honest and straightforward he seems. I even liked Ben for once, seemed like he came alive! And his reaction to kissing Paul and his little 'what, am I a bad kisser?' was so adorable. Never thought I'd be calling [strike]murderer[/strike] Ben adorable!

I still can't for the life of me understand why Ben seems to have forgotten the fact he already came out and the fact he got Phil's (begrudging) acceptance already though. I can semi understand why he's still closeted after prison but why is he acting like his family has a problem with it?

Can't lie, a part of me wishes they'd made Paul bi so he could date Lola (I like Lola and she needs *something*) and still be a love interest for Ben (but with no cheating, PLEASE) but considering how EE writes Sonia, how the label bisexual seemingly doesn't exist in Walford and how Danny Pennant was a really trope-ridden example, maybe it's for the best that he's gay. Plus, I don't want to see Lola heartbroken.

bib 1 - It seems like every time Ben gets a new head or EastEnders gets a new boss we're gonna have Ben thrown back in the closet so the new boss can tell his/her own version of a coming out story.

bib 2 - I often wonder if there's a rule that says the word bisexual mustn't ever be used in Soaps, in an interview at the time even Gary Lucy described Danny Pennant's sexuality as 'complicated' rather than saying he was bisexual!
  • Options
    NickJordanNickJordan Posts: 717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What was he like in school. He was good last night :)

Very sure of himself, really into theatre and I seem to remember him being pretty good at sports too. I wouldn't say he was cocky but he definitely had a load of confidence.
  • Options
    Adrian_Ward1Adrian_Ward1 Posts: 13,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NickJordan wrote: »
    Very sure of himself, really into theatre and I seem to remember him being pretty good at sports too. I wouldn't say he was cocky but he definitely had a load of confidence.

Sounds good, first impression of the character is good.
  • Options
    tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds good, first impression of the character is good.

He went on to Bird College, a musical theatre school in Sidcup and graduated last July with my Son. He always had big parts in the Productions at Bird and went into paid work straight from graduation..
    He is an amazing dancer too.
    If you want to see a fun side to him look up " boogie in Bournemouth " on you tube. I'm not 100% sure it was Jonnys idea but I think he edited the video together. They did this in the first year at bird.
    If anyone wants I can see if I can find any dance things he is in......I'm thinking he might be in one on you tube with his top off and ripped!
  • Options
    Sun_BeamSun_Beam Posts: 11,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like him very much - cheeky, very fit & seems like good fun! And he's got such lovely teeth.... ;-)

Yep, I approve!
  • Options
    Aaron_SilverAaron_Silver Posts: 32,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    J-B wrote: »
    Please don't put words into my mouth, I didn't mention his sexuality :confused:

What else did we really know about him before the episode that could bring such hatred then enlighten me :D
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    So far, so good. I like Paul.
  • Options
    Bart_MitchellBart_Mitchell Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    Oswin wrote: »
    Gorgeous! I just wish he wasn't another promiscuous gay character.
    Hopefully he has more depth and stays for a while as I can see real potential.

Spot on , bravo!;-)
  • Options
    StubeStube Posts: 16,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just hope this won't be a rehash of the Chryed storyline i.e. secret gay love affair with one of them being too afraid of coming out (even if Ben has already come out). I also echo the other comments about wanting Lola and Paul to have a friendship as genuine and fun as Christian and Roxy's.

Lusting aside, I actually think Paul is a promising addition to the show. Johnny Labey is playing the part very naturally and his comment "Just in case you wanted to know, this tan is all over - no white bits" was hilarious along with Ben's facial expression after. :D
  • Options
    J-BJ-B Posts: 18,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What else did we really know about him before the episode that could bring such hatred then enlighten me :D

It's definitely not "because having a fourth gay character takes it up to 8% of the cast being in a same sex relationship, too many?", nor is it "a touch of homophobia".

Being involved with characters I don't like is probably closer to the mark.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's definitely not "because having a fourth gay character takes it up to 8% of the cast being in a same sex relationship, too many?", nor is it "a touch of homophobia".

Being involved with characters I don't like is probably closer to the mark.

Well J-B I wish you had made that clear then we could avoided these little disagreements, I hope to have constructive arguments with you in the future, with reasoned debate thank you :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well J-B I wish you had made that clear then we could avoided these little disagreements, I hope to have constructive arguments with you in the future, with reasoned debate thank you :)

I think it's because he's involved with Pam and Ben - two equally unhinged psychopaths going around murdering away all the time. It's a wonder Pam gets through the day. And now, to make it worse, they have an accomplice in Paul. As if that wasn't enough, he has a receding hairline and looks like Worf off of Star Trek and all.

I'm not normally wrong about these things, just ask anyone round here.
  • Options
    StubeStube Posts: 16,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's because he's involved with Pam and Ben - two equally unhinged psychopaths going around murdering away all the time. It's a wonder Pam gets through the day. And now, to make it worse, they have an accomplice in Paul. As if that wasn't enough, he has a receding hairline and looks like Worf off of Star Trek and all.

He doesn't have a receding hairline. ;-):D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Do you actually watch the program? or is this political bias? The Ben thing yes he could and is classed as a mirderer, however, it looked more of an accident to me than murder but I agree Phil's cover up was unforgivable. The Pam thing was something quite different and appears to be a mercy killing (better known at euthanasia these days, it's legal under controlled circumstances in some countries but not here). This is hardly the actions of a psychopath. I am a carer and know about these thing believe me until you see somebody suffer extreme and unrelenting pain you will never understand.And as for judging somebody on their looks thats just childish, you don't like his look that's fine but how would you like to be constantly criticised for something you can't help. All I'm asking from people on here is to be fair and judge people onsomething less shallow than looks. ;-):D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you actually watch the program? or is this political bias? The Ben thing yes he could and is classed as a mirderer, however, it looked more of an accident to me than murder but I agree Phil's cover up was unforgivable. The Pam thing was something quite different and appears to be a mercy killing (better known at euthanasia these days, it's legal under controlled circumstances in some countries but not here). This is hardly the actions of a psychopath. I am a carer and know about these thing believe me until you see somebody suffer extreme and unrelenting pain you will never understand.And as for judging somebody on their looks thats just childish, you don't like his look that's fine but how would you like to be constantly criticised for something you can't help. All I'm asking from people on here is to be fair and judge people onsomething less shallow than looks. ;-):D:D

I respect your opinions Aar, and would never judge someone on their looks, all I'm saying is that you might be able to park a 747 on Paul's forehead with some leeway each side. It's not definite, but I'm a gambling man.

Murder is murder. No two ways about that one. In Ben's defence, he's one of the few on Albert Square who has actually served his time without complaining. Stacey only managed a couple of weeks, Pam and Bobby still walk around murdering freely.
  • Options
    eejmeejm Posts: 1,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Aaron_Silver, J-B is known for his humor and rather odd-yet-lighthearted ribbing of the show. The only character with whom he's dead serious about is Lauren. You'll only feel his true, vicious wrath if you say anything bad about Lauren.

(Seriously, don't do it. He may put a hex on you or something.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aaron_Silver, J-B is known for his humor and rather odd-yet-lighthearted ribbing of the show. The only character with whom he's dead serious about is Lauren. You'll only feel his true, vicious wrath if you say anything bad about Lauren.

(Seriously, don't do it. He may put a hex on you or something.)

I can rib the show as well, but being vile and nasty is really not my thing and I have to say it as I see it, and luckily I like Lauren but I suspect I don't need Kleenex next to me while watching as he does :D:D
  • Options
    Ozboz3Ozboz3 Posts: 1,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also think it's nice that they've written in Pam and Les being accepting of his sexuality and not going for the cliché old people being homophobic
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reminds me of me at 20 young, gay, confident oh and insulin dependent (type 1) diabetic
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He used to be comfortable with his sexuality until TPTB decided to throw him back in the closet.

bib 1 - It seems like every time Ben gets a new head or EastEnders gets a new boss we're gonna have Ben thrown back in the closet so the new boss can tell his/her own version of a coming out story.

bib 2 - I often wonder if there's a rule that says the word bisexual mustn't ever be used in Soaps, in an interview at the time even Gary Lucy described Danny Pennant's sexuality as 'complicated' rather than saying he was bisexual!

Now that you say it, I realise it's true! It's a bit ridiculous and probably a sign they need more lgbtq+ characters because there's more than one story to tell and i'm so tired of the person is in closet, person gets fake girlfriend/boyfriend, person comes out, family struggles and then comes to terms with it and person is happy storyline tbh. Coming out is way more complicated than that anyway! :p

And it feels like there's a rule that bisexual shouldn't ever be used in life tbh!

Omg, tonight's episode got on my nerves. Abi is so irritating, I have no sympathy for her because she knows Ben's gay! He told her! Why doesn't she break up with him and find someone else fgs?
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's interesting that they've written him as being diabetic. Not a huge character thing but something that I'm sure will become a focus at some point.