Options

Disabled vs Parent & Child Parking

Comments

• Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    What I want to know is, how lazy and entitled do you have to be to get annoyed that somebody else has priority parking ten yards closer to the door?

I dont think entitled is the right word It's more about resentment about others having an entitlement to better treatment from what I can see of the thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    Some do. But that's part of the point I am making - just because there is nothing to stop you from doing something (be it parking in P&C spots when you don't have kids, holding up the express/self service tills by putting a weeks worth of stuff through, blocking the aisles with trolleys, etc.) doesn't mean you should do it, and doesn't stop you from being a bit of a selfish dick if you do.

Does that apply to parent using the parents and toddlers bay? After all just because the supermarkets decide to give them preferential treatment dies to mean they have to take advantage if it and be a selfish dick?
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I park as close to where the carts are. Pick one up , shop, and drop it back. Not bothered how far to the shop entrance .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    Perhaps if every step you took was agony or left you struggling for breath, you may want to park near to the entrance?

Disabled people who have difficulty in walking any distance - sometimes the reason isn't physically obvious - can apply for and be awarded a blue badge to enable them to park in places that others are not entitled, double yellow lines for example. Therefore it makes sense for supermarkets and the like to make spaces available for these badge holding customers that are close to their entrance, showing support for the scheme if nothing else.

'Little kids' will have to walk past lots of cars in situations other than a car park (the high street for example) and it is sensible to teach them road safety from a very early age.

I didn't intend for this to turn into a "who's right and who's wrong?" stuation, I just wondered why parents and their children NEED to park near to the entrance.

I wasnt referring to disabled spaces. The thread was started about parent parking spaces so why would I be questioning disabled spaces being close to the entrance. Of course they should be.

Maybe you weren't asking who is right or wrong but some comments seem to be very anti parent spaces being closest.
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But unlike parking there is nothing by the self checkouts to say its for "under so many items only", If it were then they would not direct people with trolleys to use them. Im not a dick, nor selfish and do not block anything up.

There are on some.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont think entitled is the right word It's more about resentment about others having an entitlement to better treatment from what I can see of the thread.

But why would something that doesn't affect you at all but might just make someone elses life just that little bit easier be a cause for resentment? I really don't begrudge anyone that may need a little bit of help a small gesture that does others no harm at all
  • Options
    Username_Username_ Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    I wonder if anyone can answer a query that I genuinely can't understand:

Why do Parent & Child/Toddler parking spaces need to be close to the shops' entrances? Our local Sainsbury's has them closer to the entrance than the Disabled bays. :confused:

Because people have to carry shopping plus look after their children. It's called safety.

I've got one, why do 'disabled' people park in disabled spots but walk off normally? I can understand a walking stick or wheelchair but most of the time they seem fine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does that apply to parent using the parents and toddlers bay? After all just because the supermarkets decide to give them preferential treatment dies to mean they have to take advantage if it and be a selfish dick?

Yeah if you like :confused:
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are on some.

I have never seen one and I have used them since they first came to supermarkets.

What about buggies and prams blocking? I expect they block far more than a trolley.
  • Options
    Username_Username_ Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    Perhaps if every step you took was agony or left you struggling for breath, you may want to park near to the entrance?

Disabled people who have difficulty in walking any distance - sometimes the reason isn't physically obvious - can apply for and be awarded a blue badge to enable them to park in places that others are not entitled, double yellow lines for example. Therefore it makes sense for supermarkets and the like to make spaces available for these badge holding customers that are close to their entrance, showing support for the scheme if nothing else.

'Little kids' will have to walk past lots of cars in situations other than a car park (the high street for example) and it is sensible to teach them road safety from a very early age.

I didn't intend for this to turn into a "who's right and who's wrong?" stuation, I just wondered why parents and their children NEED to park near to the entrance.

People who have difficulty walking any distance yet they're ok to walk around a supermarket??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are on some.

The ones in my Sainsburys state 'For baskets only'. Doesn't mean people with trolleys take the slightest bit of notice
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Username_ wrote: »
    People who have difficulty walking any distance yet they're ok to walk around a supermarket??

If I am having a very bad day I save my energy by parking in the disabled bay and having enough left to walk around the shop. If I use all of it before I even get inside, then I am in trouble.
    Most times I dont use the bays, I only use them if I really need them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    But why would something that doesn't affect you at all but might just make someone elses life just that little bit easier be a cause for resentment? I really don't begrudge anyone that may need a little bit of help a small gesture that does others no harm at all
    That's like asking why people were resentful about being told to sit at the back if the bus. It's treating two groups differently and whether it causes resentment or not depends on whether it is fair.

I think it is unfair but of to little importance to bother about, Other people especially those more inconvenienced by regularly seeing others privileged over them may be annoyed. If do that is his they feel and there does seem to be some cause.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never seen one and I have used them since they first came to supermarkets.

What about buggies and prams blocking? I expect they block far more than a trolley.

Its selfish as well.
  • Options
    riceutenriceuten Posts: 5,876
    Forum Member
    I get the impression that so many of these 'facilities' are for show and are never enforced, so what's the point ?
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The ones in my Sainsburys state 'For baskets only'. Doesn't mean people with trolleys take the slightest bit of notice

They do in my Sainsbury's and in the Waitrose as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its selfish as well.

So only people not encumbered with anything are allowed to use these lanes.
    So they have around 6 selfserve lanes and three basket only lanes while everyone has has to share the other 6 or 7 lanes. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's like asking why people were resentful about being told to sit at the back if the bus. It's treating two groups differently and whether it causes resentment or not depends on whether it is fair.

I think it is unfair but of to little importance to bother about, Other people especially those more inconvenienced by regularly seeing others privileged over them may be annoyed. If do that is his they feel and there does seem to be some cause.

I don't think I've ever seen P&C parking compared to segregation before.

Classic!

Are the 10 items or fewer tills the modern day version of the holocaust :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No, it really isn't
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So only people not encumbered with anything are allowed to use these lanes.
    So they have around 6 selfserve lanes and three basket only lanes while everyone has has to share the other 6 or 7 lanes. :D

Sorry, my misunderstanding - thought you were referring to my comment about people blocking the aisles with trolleys whilst they have a chat :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think I've ever seen P&C parking compared to segregation :o
    then stop and think about it before responding. That's a good idea when new concepts are introduced.

It's about a group being given privileged treatment. With the disabled that is to equalise their disadvantage and make shopping as easy for them as a well person. That's why it is government mandated.

The reason for parent toddler spaces however is to attract those who are likely to spend more by making their shop more comvenient. That's why supermarkets compete over them - and why they are closer than disabled spaces....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    then stop and think about it before responding. That's a good idea when new concepts are introduced.

It's about a group being given privileged treatment. With the disabled that is to equalise their disadvantage and make shopping as easy for them as a well person. That's why it is government mandated.

The reason for parent toddler spaces however is to attract those who are likely to spend more by making their shop more comvenient. That's why supermarkets compete over them - and why they are closer than disabled spaces....

So does that make Sainsbury's the Ku Klux Klan in your analogy?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, my misunderstanding - thought you were referring to my comment about people blocking the aisles with trolleys whilst they have a chat :)

Oh no.. Chatting is the biggest pain in supermarkets.

The other day there was one family ( mum dad and three grown up daughters) who all stood in a row ( along not across) a aisle discussing a pack of biscuits, they did this everywhere ( for different items) they stopped, and yes it was always where I was trying to get to. Very odd and selfish way to behave when others are trying to shop as well.
  • Options
    Hopper's mumHopper's mum Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Username_ wrote: »

Don't forget they have to get back to their car after doing their shopping. :)
  • Options
    MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The intolerance of others is incredible and a little ironic here. It sounds like what about me, me me me? People have become so up themselves about their rights and entitlements in such a superior manner.
    Some people are disabled and have kids too, some people have disabled kids along with siblings who are not disabled.
    If it bothers people so much don a reflective jacket, tape off p&C parking spaces and direct all people with kids to the furthest parking spaces, then blow raspberries at them and make dumb faces. Or, just park in them yourself and btw, sometimes these spaces are made wider too, so that car seats and buggies can be sorted without damaging your neighbour's car. I have had small kids at the shops and never even bothered about p&c parking, just went where it wasn't the busiest.
    It's shopping not apartheid.