Options

Disabled vs Parent & Child Parking

Comments

• Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Perhaps if every step you took was agony or left you struggling for breath, you may want to park near to the entrance?

Disabled people who have difficulty in walking any distance - sometimes the reason isn't physically obvious - can apply for and be awarded a blue badge to enable them to park in places that others are not entitled, double yellow lines for example. Therefore it makes sense for supermarkets and the like to make spaces available for these badge holding customers that are close to their entrance, showing support for the scheme if nothing else.

'Little kids' will have to walk past lots of cars in situations other than a car park (the high street for example) and it is sensible to teach them road safety from a very early age.

I didn't intend for this to turn into a "who's right and who's wrong?" stuation, I just wondered why parents and their children NEED to park near to the entrance.

As someone's already pointed out, it's the supermarkets who decide which space goes where. Parent's didn't march & wave placards, demanding special parking places. Take it up with the supermarkets concerned.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I want to know is, how lazy and entitled do you have to be to get annoyed that somebody else has priority parking ten yards closer to the door?
  • Options
    Hopper's mumHopper's mum Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shmisk wrote: »
    For people who get stressed out by supermarket car park arrangements, may I suggest online shopping?

Then you wouldn't need to worry about who parks where

We do most of our shopping online but occasionally it's nice to take mum out for a visit. :)

I'm not getting stressed or annoyed as some seem to think and I am going to ask the supermarkets the same question.

Genuinely I was interested in finding out why parent and child places NEED to be close to the entrance.

As I've previously stated a child's safety is the responsibility of the parent, if they are walking through a car park (or along a road) with their parent they should be closely supervised.
  • Options
    Richard_TRichard_T Posts: 5,167
    Forum Member
    Disabled bays are for those who have a genuine need to use them, and should only be used by those with a genuine need.

Parent and toddler/child bays are nothing but a gimmick, and should be treated with all the respect that gimmicks deserve.
    If the car park is busy, or it would be difficult to park elsewhere park in parent and child bays they are meaningless. There's nothing that the supermarkets can do to stop you.
  • Options
    incy wincyincy wincy Posts: 839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shmisk wrote: »
    For people who get stressed out by supermarket car park arrangements, may I suggest online shopping?

Then you wouldn't need to worry about who parks where

But what happens when the delivery van pulls up? They have to park somewhere. It might block the neighbours or the road. You've opened a whole new can of worms now. :p
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    Yay, my DS bingo card for March is a full house! A 'parent and child parking' thread!
  • Options
    yourpointbeing?yourpointbeing? Posts: 3,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kippeh wrote: »
    Yay, my DS bingo card for March is a full house! A 'parent and child parking' thread!

Yes we have had abortion as well this week. It must be nearly time for RFL:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about the poor buggers without cars? They have to walk all the way from their homes or the bus stop to the supermarket, with or without kids or disability. Won't someone think of the walkers? :(:p
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard_T wrote: »
    Disabled bays are for those who have a genuine need to use them, and should only be used by those with a genuine need.

Parent and toddler/child bays are nothing but a gimmick, and should be treated with all the respect that gimmicks deserve.
    If the car park is busy, or it would be difficult to park elsewhere park in parent and child bays they are meaningless. There's nothing that the supermarkets can do to stop you.

Just like there is nothing to stop people with a whole trolleys full of stuff clogging up the self-service tills to save them having to wait in a queue for a till.

Doing so would make you a bit of a dick though.
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    Just like there is nothing to stop people with a whole trolleys full of stuff clogging up the self-service tills to save them having to wait in a queue for a till.

I use the self service line with a trolley and always have done. I get directed to them by supermarket staff, so not sure what the problem is with that.
  • Options
    MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    I wonder how many threads we need about this:confused:

Supermarkets can do what they want. If you don't like it complain to them.

Exactly, it's not the customers who decide on the building plans.Don't blame the 'people who breed.'

You can bet that if people with kids are parked a bit further away, people would be complaining that there are kids all over the car park, that they are annoyingly in the way and parents should keep them under control, or park closer to the entrance, so as the non breeders can ignore the existence of children in their world.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use the self service line with a trolley and always have done. I get directed to them by supermarket staff, so not sure what the problem is with that.

As have I when directed to do so. Although it can be a bit of a FAFF as you have to keep getting the assistant over when you remove a full bag to make space which triggers the 'place item in bagging area' message.

In the main though they are there for people only picking up a few bits/basketfull to save them having to wait behind people with trolley fulls of shopping.
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, as someone with a disabled child (now an adult) I noticed this too. Our local Morrisons has Parent and Child along the shop wall, and disabled a little way out...

I suspect the bottom line is, as ever, £s. A disabled pensioner is not going to be as spendy as some harassed parent with their whiney kids with them nagging for stuff. A family is probably going to spend more than one or two disabled folk.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As have I when directed to do so. Although it can be a bit of a FAFF as you have to keep getting the assistant over when you remove a full bag to make space which triggers the 'place item in bagging area' message.

In the main though they are there for people only picking up a few bits/basketfull to save them having to wait behind people with trolley fulls of shopping.

Nowhere does it say that though, I think that is just what people think. There are way to many just to be for people with a few bits and they have the basket only lanes.

Take the bag off when the lighting strips go from red to green.
  • Options
    spotty_catspotty_cat Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Honestly, some people on here (the childless I should imagine) think they can slag off families without a response. Comments like "they shouldn't breed" or "should keep their legs closed". Disgusting people. Go away.>:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nowhere does it say that though, I think that is just what people think. There are way to many just to be for people with a few bits and they have the basket only lanes.

Take the bag off when the lighting strips go from red to green.

Some do. But that's part of the point I am making - just because there is nothing to stop you from doing something (be it parking in P&C spots when you don't have kids, holding up the express/self service tills by putting a weeks worth of stuff through, blocking the aisles with trolleys, etc.) doesn't mean you should do it, and doesn't stop you from being a bit of a selfish dick if you do.
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As predicted, the thread is already full of the usual pathetic "Oh noes, parents are getting preferential treatment over me, woe is me, woe is me" type comments.

Take it up with the supermarket if you're that bothered about them

Or just park in the damn spaces regardless. It's not a crime.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    Or just park in the damn spaces regardless. It's not a crime.

I don't think that was the OP's point, but yeah you could do that if you're a real cool dude. :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If someone has terrible pain walking etc, therefore needs to be as close to the supermarket as possible, how on earth are they actually going to manage walking round a whole supermarket to do their shop? :confused:

Personally, I don't see the need for P&C spaces. ALL parking spaces need to be made bigger. I have parked in P&C or disabled spaces occasionally, and I neither have children, nor am I disabled, but spaces just aren't big enough for some large modern cars nowadays. That, along with some seriously crappy parking attitudes makes it's nigh on impossible to get into a regular space with my car.
  • Options
    Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member

Only yesterday I saw a woman with a trolley in the SELF-service tills, making out she didn't know how to use it and having the assistant scanning all her items for her. >:(

Go to a bloody normal till then!
  • Options
    floogfloog Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To make those who spend the most money feel special so they are more likely to come back and spend some more.
  • Options
    Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    spotty_cat wrote: »
    Honestly, some people on here (the childless I should imagine) think they can slag off families without a response. Comments like "they shouldn't breed" or "should keep their legs closed". Disgusting people. Go away.>:(

As equally disgusting as the people who drop out kids, pick up the extra benefits and think that their children should be a burden to everyone else who should put up with annoying uncontrolled kids because the parent doesn't think that parenting is for them.

Just what is this attitude this generation of parents have where you do sod all and if someone dares correct you, then it's something wrong with them.

Look after your kids yourself and correct them if they go more than two feet away from you. That is YOUR job not as you think everyone else's.

Even your post sounds like an arrogant right to do as just you see fit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some do. But that's part of the point I am making - just because there is nothing to stop you from doing something (be it parking in P&C spots when you don't have kids, holding up the express/self service tills by putting a weeks worth of stuff through, blocking the aisles with trolleys, etc.) doesn't mean you should do it, and doesn't stop you from being a bit of a selfish dick if you do.

But unlike parking there is nothing by the self checkouts to say its for "under so many items only", If it were then they would not direct people with trolleys to use them. Im not a dick, nor selfish and do not block anything up.
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    What on earth gave you that impression. I have already said I have no problem with the disabled spaces being at the front of the store, the parent and child ones I have a problem with as those people are just as able bodied as the rest of us and don't deserve to have all their spaces right at the front, it is totally unfair.

I don't mind a few at the front, some in the middle and some at the back, but these extra wide space wasting things all at the front are a cause of frustration as you guys and girls can walk just as well as we can and have no right to a reserved front row space.

Safety is not an issue if the middle and back spaces are in the area of the pathway that normally leads down the middle and to the store, or around the edges where there are normally paths too.

It entirely depends on the supermarket. At the Waitrose and the Sainsbury's in my town the disabled parking is directly outside the front of the store, the parent & child parking is not. It's also the same at the Morrison's up the road. None of them have P&C parking closer to the store entrance than their disabled bays.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They would need to be wondering about on their own for a car-park to be that dangerous for a child.

I'd get rid of the lot and use them for extra disabled bays.

80% of my local supermarket's disabled bays go unused. You have one or two that are used a lot and the markings are appropriately worn, but the rest look like that were painted on yesterday. The parent and child spaces on the other hand are well used.