Options

Nigel Slater....

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 402
    Forum Member
    Prontopro wrote: »
    What I found annoying about last night's programme was that there was virtually no food in the kitchen yet the main ingredients for his recipes were all going off. It was so staged that it really annoyed me.
    He was just providing examples, each meal was supposed to represent a different day. One day you have left-over bacon, another you have cheese that's gone hard etc.
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I very rarely, if ever, have left over cheese:)

Mr Slater remains the best TV cook.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Roooty wrote: »
    I really like his cooking and the show, but I agree with the OP (to a point), that there is something about his screen presence. I wouldn't go so far as to say creepy though.
    I guess he could be described as eccentric, which isn't a bad thing - it just means he has more character than your average presenter.
  • Options
    mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont know what to think about him!, he fascinates me in a weird way!. i cant make out if he is just eccentric, if he is gay or what!.... i always watch his programme but spend the whole time trying to sus him out!, (in a strange way!)...:eek:

ps...and what about his pestal and mortar, (sp).... it's the biggest one i have ever seen!.......:eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MalUK wrote: »
    He was just providing examples, each meal was supposed to represent a different day. One day you have left-over bacon, another you have cheese that's gone hard etc.

I know that!

So there wasn't really any point in walking across the kitchen to a shelf to pick up a browned banana, or some stale bread off a kitchen table in the pretence that it was where he kept those items, was there? It would have been better to have just had the items close at hand on his worktop.
  • Options
    Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Nigel ... but he speaks..... too slowwwwly and it is all .... a bit toooo slowwww for ........ me
  • Options
    mouthalmightymouthalmighty Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like his kitchen very much.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frood wrote: »
    I very rarely, if ever, have left over cheese:)

Mr Slater remains the best TV cook.

His book "Appetite" (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Appetite-What-You-Want-Today/dp/1841154709) is my favourite cookbook. It isn't about exact scientific recipes but more about suggestions of "try a bit of this" or maybe "bung some of that in" - when making dinner the aim isn't to win some culinary award, it's just to make something nice to eat.
  • Options
    andallthatjazzandallthatjazz Posts: 6,413
    Forum Member
    I know that!

So there wasn't really any point in walking across the kitchen to a shelf to pick up a browned banana, or some stale bread off a kitchen table in the pretence that it was where he kept those items, was there? It would have been better to have just had the items close at hand on his worktop.

Such pointless complaints, I take it that since it annoys you so much you won't be watching again then?:rolleyes:

Also it's not just last night he did these things that annoy you...it's in every episode since it started inc Series 1 so why only criticised last night's ep??
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, I don't think he's creepy. His programme is quite good and his books are too.

He seems very normal - just very quiet, perhaps a little bit of a recluse. He's not a glitzy, showbizzy type.
  • Options
    minxymoominxymoo Posts: 26,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    he looks like an old lesbian

:eek::eek::D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I know that!

That just the style of the show, it's a bit old fashioned to simply have the ingredients sitting there. You get to have all these interesting shots, which aren't just pointing at a table top or cooker. Plus they can show him in a garden picking the plants and so forth.
  • Options
    minxymoominxymoo Posts: 26,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sloopy wrote: »
    No, I don't think he's creepy. His programme is quite good and his books are too.

He seems very normal - just very quiet, perhaps a little bit of a recluse. He's not a glitzy, showbizzy type.

I imagine he probably still lives with his Mother.;)
    i think hes probably asexual.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    minxymoo wrote: »
    I imagine he probably still lives with his Mother.;)
    i think hes probably asexual.

His mother passed away I think in the 60s, have to check my Toast book, great read.
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    His book "Appetite" (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Appetite-What-You-Want-Today/dp/1841154709) is my favourite cookbook. It isn't about exact scientific recipes but more about suggestions of "try a bit of this" or maybe "bung some of that in" - when making dinner the aim isn't to win some culinary award, it's just to make something nice to eat.

Indeed.

And turn the page and there are simple variations.

He understands that cooking rarely has to be 'precise' (only in cake baking and very few other recipies) and that you might not like one ingredient, or might like more of it.

I've said it before but he's the opposite of the evil Delia Smith.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Such pointless complaints, I take it that since it annoys you so much you won't be watching again then?:rolleyes:

Also it's not just last night he did these things that annoy you...it's in every episode since it started inc Series 1 so why only criticised last night's ep??

It's the first time I've watched him and yes I'm unlikely to watch again.

Trust that meets with your satisfaction your Holiness?:rolleyes:
  • Options
    avidreaderavidreader Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aw, I think he's lovely. Great chef too!
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Nigel Slater is an excellent cook and was a respected food writer when Jamie Oliver was still washing up at the River Cafe.

He is not really cut out for TV but if you can get past his awkwardness in front of the camera, he really understands ingredients and flavours and is clearly the best of the bunch if you are after a cook's cook rather than someone showing off Michelin-starred poncey food that the viewer is just never going to replicate.

Nigel's cookbooks are universally excellent; they concentrate on simple dishes made with good ingredients. No pages of arty-farty lifestyle shots, just packed with recipes and information.

Frankly, Nigel Slater is the only TV chef I have any interest these days since the others started making those embarrassing travelogues and ghastly reality shows (although Jamie Oliver has partially redeemed himself with the recent 30-minute menu series).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think he's great - I've got a few of his cookbooks and his memoir, 'Toast' which is an outstanding read.

He seems like such a lovely fellow - quite shy and retiring, which is a nice contrast to some of the other more in your face TV Cooks. He is a pleasure to watch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nigel Slater is an excellent cook and was a respected food writer when Jamie Oliver was still washing up at the River Cafe.

Stop exaggerating & stating lies.....why do you have to run down a chef in comparison to Nigel just because you don't like Jamie.

JO was never a washer up at River cafe, he worked there as a sous chef & a trusted chef by both Rose & Ruth to choose & buy the restaurant's olive oil from Italy.

Jamie himself is an admirer of Nigel and wrote a forefront message on Nigel's Appetite book claiming Nigel to be a a genius, I should know I have Nigel's book.

Nigel is indeed an excellent writer & cook but you don't have to stretch your admiration of him at the expense of Jamie.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Stop exaggerating & stating lies.....why do you have to run down a chef in comparison to Nigel just because you don't like Jamie.

JO was never a washer up at River cafe, he worked there as a sous chef & a trusted chef by both Rose & Ruth to choose & buy the restaurant's olive oil from Italy.

Jamie himself is an admirer of Nigel and wrote a forefront message on Nigel's Appetite book claiming Nigel to be a a genius, I should know I have Nigel's book.

Nigel is indeed an excellent writer & cook but you don't have to stretch your admiration of him at the expense of Jamie.

So I'm exaggerating AND stating lies? Oh dear, you really don't understand irony, do you?

As it happens, I very much admire Jamie Oliver. He has been hugely influential in popularising cooking, not to mention his attempts to improve school catering in this country.

I have 2 of Jamie Oliver's cookbooks and cook regularly from them. However, they can't compare to Nigel Slater's for breadth of content or technical knowhow. I was simply illustrating the fact that Slater has a heck of a lot more experience and knowledge than some of the other TV chefs around.

BTW how do you know that Jamie Oliver never helped out with the washing up? I've worked in kitchens and you all muck in to get the job done;).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    His book "Appetite" (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Appetite-What-You-Want-Today/dp/1841154709) is my favourite cookbook. It isn't about exact scientific recipes but more about suggestions of "try a bit of this" or maybe "bung some of that in" - when making dinner the aim isn't to win some culinary award, it's just to make something nice to eat.[/QUOTE

"Appetite" is a fantastic book. I love the way that you get the main recipe then on the next page you get several other variations you can try.

His "Kitchen Diaries" book is a fabulous read in itself even if you don't use the recipes.

As you can see I'm a fan. :)
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    For what it's worth I do agree with the people who say he has a strange presenting style. His speech pattern is really offputting.

I also agree with people about some of the recipies and ingredients used. I'm surprised that one of his dishes wasn't leftover lobster and caviar.

But I do watch his programs because he does have some nice and simple recipies. More recipies that you can cook rather than something that other chefs would cook and you'd like to eat at a restaurant.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have one of his books and am slowly coming round to him. His recipes are good, there's no denying that - and they make me want to try them - and that's the main thing.

Unfortunately though - and as shallow as it may seem, when I'm watching a TV cookery prog, I like to see someone who's aesthetically pleasing, like my fave Nigella. Also Rachel Allen, James Martin, Gino or Jamie....:o:o:o

So shoot me! :D

I don't think I'm alone in that though - but it does depend what you're looking for, or watching it for.
    I love to see Mary Berry on TV - and used to love to see Margeurite Patten too. That's for their great cooking and food knowledge - and because they are both very likeable personalities. :)
    Same with any of the Italian chefs that pop up like Antonio Carlucio or Ginaro Contaldo.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mklass wrote: »
    I dont know what to think about him!, he fascinates me in a weird way!. i cant make out if he is just eccentric, if he is gay or what!.... i always watch his programme but spend the whole time trying to sus him out!, (in a strange way!)...:eek:

ps...and what about his pestal and mortar, (sp).... it's the biggest one i have ever seen!.......:eek:

What a funny post. I feel a bit like that too. :p