Options

My husband was racially abused by my father this afternoon..

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    I agree, and would hope for this too. But if you read literature on sexual abuse, non reporting is not uncommon. I dont know the psychological reason as to why, but the literature is out there.

Would an abused person joke about rape?
  • Options
    lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HollyG wrote: »
    This whole thread is really quite uncomfortable to read.

From the opening post, which I feel sorry for the ops hubby.

To the shocking shocking posts about jade goody. That all past me by on here, I cant actually believe how nasty people were about someone, famous or not, dying of cancer. Truly vile comments in those threads. People should be utterly ashamed of themselves back then. How can anyone justify gloating about another human dying? How?

To the posts attacking each other regarding abuse and race.

To everything.

This thread is just naff.

Its a conflict of feelings regarding this. I think past posts should have nothing to do with present ones though.

Maybe this thread is all worn out now?
    I concur with the above. Although what the OP has written in the past has been incredibly repellent to say the least. The dissection of the OP's character by some on here, who have drudged up her old post is uncalled for. The two have no link what so ever. One is of her husband being racially abused and the other is her less than tasteful opinion of a reality tv star's illness. And the glee with which some of the posters seem to have in bringing up old threads about her is equally disturbing. And also time consuming... Says a lot about them than it does about the OP surely?

What is also ironic is how off topic some on this thread are... especially since I recognise some of them and they are usually the ones in a thread who are the first to reprimand a poster if they are going off topic!

The other irony is the matter of "truth". Who are they to talk when whatever they write on here cannot be proven as "truth" either.

Anyways, I suppose it is only a matter of time before the mods will come and delete this thread. It isn't going any where.
  • Options
    Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree, and would hope for this too. But if you read literature on sexual abuse, non reporting is not uncommon. I dont know the psychological reason as to why, but the literature is out there.

Isn't that usually in people who emotionally shut of from the abuse and can't even acknowledge that it happened?

I wasn't refering specifically to the sexual abuse either.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    Isn't that usually in people who emotionally shut of from the abuse and can't even acknowledge that it happened?

I wasn't refering specifically to the sexual abuse either.

there are probably lots of reasons/theories as to why.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    Would an abused person joke about rape?

potentially, I would say yes. Although very distasteful! :eek:
  • Options
    user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ardwark wrote: »
    I was very upset and shaking with rage when you were ecstatic about Jade Goody being diagnosed with cancer.

We are from different scales of what is offensive, as offensive as you might consider **** to be.

Frankly, your outrage is misplaced to say the least. delighting as you were of a young woman dying with cancer.

You must be proud.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=30577879&postcount=38
    I am in no way defending what the OP wrote but the time and the place to express your outrage was back then. The op made disgusting comments about Jade because she didn't like Jade. You went after the op because you don't like her and brought up something that was completely unrelated to this thread. Have you been waiting two years just for the right moment to use that post against the op? Maybe it's time you took your own advice and broke the circle?
    Am i the only one who can feel simultaneously sympathetic about the OPs harrowing experiences and disgusted about the OPs harrowing comments? Isnt it just as bad to say - you upset me really badly once by saying something about someone, therefore i deem your lifelong torment a joke? I wouldnt wish rape on my worst enemy, nevermind the concept of actually living in the proximity of my rapist and having him get his poison into my life again. I think no matter how unconscionable i find the OPs attitude to x y or z, i must still feel her pain on those counts.
    That thread was over 2 years ago now. Maybe the OP has changed, maybe they were going through a bad patch, maybe they had been drinking and should not have been near the internet.

If it was last week then fair dos but it was over two years ago. Dragging up old threads just to get a mob going at the OP is only going to result in this thread being closed.
    I agree with both of you. The op's comments were appalling but this whole thread has a nasty tone to it. "I'm OUTRAGED by something someone said two years ago that I wasn't aware of until today, so I'm going to gather the villagers and burn her at the stake".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why on earth do you live so close to someone that raped you as a child?!

Move house and ignore!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    potentially, I would say yes. Although very distasteful! :eek:

Seems very odd to me. I wouldn't joke about it myself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why on earth do you live so close to someone that raped you as a child?!

Move house and ignore!

Completely agree with this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Completely agree with this.

She did say 'why should she leave her home' because of the actions of someone else. I can understand that too....

We are just not going to agree on anything are we? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    She did say 'why should she leave her home' because of the actions of someone else. I can understand that too....

We are just not going to agree on anything are we? :D

Doesn't look like it!

See, for me, I would want to be far away from my abuser, and I would want my daughter to be far away from him also. I don't understand the "why should I leave my home because of the actions of someone else" bit. That would be the last thing on my mind.
  • Options
    lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

See, for me, I would want to be far away from my abuser, and I would want my daughter to be far away from him also. I don't understand the "why should I leave my home because of the actions of someone else" bit. That would be the lst thing on my mind.

Everybody's different.
  • Options
    FringoFringo Posts: 7,995
    Forum Member
    perhaps your abused past has made you quite negative and hold grudges? I prefer to seek answers, understand our behaviours, and move forwards.

You see that comment is very similar to the one you took offence to that Hobbit said.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lala wrote: »
    Everybody's different.
    That's why I said
    Doesn't look like it!

See, for me, I would want to be far away from my abuser, and I would want my daughter to be far away from him also. I don't understand the "why should I leave my home because of the actions of someone else" bit. That would be the last thing on my mind.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Fringo wrote: »
    You see that comment is very similar to the one you took offence to that Hobbit said.....

it was meant sarcastically, but Jane must have anticipated this and answered quite cleverly, epic fail on my part :D
  • Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am surprised this thread is still going IMO
This discussion has been closed.