Options

Tablet for children's Christmas present

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    Something additional you might consider is one of those Pong ipad electric security cases. Over the summer the grandparents who love to spoil the kids in the family purchased a few electric devices. The kids love them, and do well with the devices.

I was thinking for the holidays of buying a few Pong cases to go along with the devices. I learned about them here, toward the end of the article:

"My Healthy Holiday Gift Guide"

http://www.annlouise.com/blog/2012/12/14/my-healthy-holiday-gift-guide/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    Asda Direct were advertising Samsung Galaxy Tabs for £99 yesterday, that seems like a good buy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 from Asda for £99. :D

End of thread.
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zmiler7 wrote: »
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 from Asda for £99. :D

End of thread.
    Good news: 7" screen.
    Bad news: out of stock

Thread resumes :)
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP, Tesco are doing Clubcard Boost at the moment so if you have any vouchers you can double them up and use them to buy the hudl. I just saw it on the website for £119, so £60 in clubcard vouchers will pay for it.
  • Options
    TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    No advice op but interested in the thread as am looking to get a tablet for my son for Christmas, he has purloined nannies Ipad for what seems like forever and is time to give it back, he will be 6 in January, he can used it better than me and takes really good care of his things.

My step dad think the hudl maybe our best bet but still looking around, son wants a 3ds (and nannies ipad) but think this is the better option
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    I'm sure I will.

Just like my parents noticed the effect technology had on me when I was a teenager, and their parents before them.

I won't ask how old you are, but I'm 28 and there was no Internet when I was a child. Therefore my upbringing was very different to the screen-attached children I see nowadays.
    bazaar1 wrote: »
    I'd go iPod smaller and cheaper than iPads but great parental controls, large selection of apps and she can watch films etc on it easily.

And it's not too big to take places to keep her quite.

I spent my teen years reading consistently, not text books but trash like point horrors etc and I didn't do a levels at all. So can the written word be blamed? No.

Similarly I know boys that are football obsessed, age 7/8 they play until it's dark then go home and play fantasy football, or read footie comics.

It's boys (kids in general, but boys especially) - they get obsessions, be it games,tv, sports, - every parent of a teenager will say that they often talk to a brick wall because the kid is concentrating on something else.

I'd rather my boy was at home playing minecraft or similar hand anderingt he streets causing trouble. I know where he is, I know what he's doing, when he gets to teen years I'll know he's not drinking, smoking , etc (presuming he's tablet obsessed as presumed by some posters)

bazaar1, I must disagree with you on this occasion. A football-obsession cannot be compared to a PC/tablet/ipad-obsession. Team sports teach infinitely more positive skills than computers! Social interaction for one and I would prefer my kid to be playing sports outside than be stuck behind a screen at home.
    You don't know much about causality do you?

I do. My brother is quite intelligent and was predicted much higher grades than he obtained because he didn't study (some crazy online game was more important).
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Xela M wrote: »
    I'm 28 and there was no Internet when I was a child. Therefore my upbringing was very different to the screen-attached children I see nowadays.
    There were plenty of home computers and video games consoles available though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    I won't ask how old you are, but I'm 28 and there was no Internet when I was a child. Therefore my upbringing was very different to the screen-attached children I see nowadays.

bazaar1, I must disagree with you on this occasion. A football-obsession cannot be compared to a PC/tablet/ipad-obsession. Team sports teach infinitely more positive skills than computers! Social interaction for one and I would prefer my kid to be playing sports outside than be stuck behind a screen at home.

I do. My brother is quite intelligent and was predicted much higher grades than he obtained because he didn't study (some crazy online game was more important).

We can agree to disagree, I'm not saying football is bad but its just as obsessive as anything else, and unfortunately there is a yob culture around football in the UK that I'd not want my son involved in (More fans than anything). An obsession is an obsession, regardless of what its focus is.

Just look at the states and this culture of pushing sports stars through school, then getting them scholarships regardless of grades, its more important they score that winning touchdown/homerun/etc than get a b on maths.
    John259 wrote: »
    There were plenty of home computers and video games consoles available though.

yes quite, I'm 31 and I had sega mega drives, antari's etc - and tv was just as much of a distraction as computers are these days.
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There's nothing wrong in principle in children having tablets indeed it is very important that they do learn the new technology and become very proficient in it.

It only becomes a problem when they have too much of it and it is used as a baby sitter much like the TV can. Limit the kids to say an hour a day depending on age and it is a positive thing.
  • Options
    TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    I

I was predicted better grades than I got I didn't study as I went out smoking, drinking and chasing boys...either the kids will study or they wont.

My kids go swimming, play football,l go to the park and do kenpo karate that does not stop them from having games consoles and wanting to play them all evening but its my job to as a parent to moderate such things at a young age
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    bobcar wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong in principle in children having tablets indeed it is very important that they do learn the new technology and become very proficient in it.

It only becomes a problem when they have too much of it and it is used as a baby sitter much like the TV can. Limit the kids to say an hour a day depending on age and it is a positive thing.

I often see this "babysitter" thing said

In my experience my son needs help and supervision with computers tablets etc- it is possible for kids to use these things WITH their parents

The babysitter claim really annoys me!
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm 36 and had a Vic 20 in the early 80's, then a Nintendo, Sega Megadrive and Gameboy. I even remember the pong console you hooked up to the TV in the very early 80's.

I also had a Major Morgan and Speak'n'Spell when I was 5/6 as well.

The difference between my parents and yours seems to be that our use of these technologies were limited and monitored. Things like homework, chores, walking the dog, etc. had to be done before I was allowed to use them. I would never have been allowed to be holed up in my room on the Nintendo for hours on end like your brother was, nor would the vast majority of parents on this thread and in general allow it either.
  • Options
    Little NellLittle Nell Posts: 1,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in my sixties so can safely claim that the internet wasn't around when I was a child. And I think that children should use tablets etc - that was then and this is now.

You can't possibly KNOW that your brother underachieved because of technology. If it hadn't been that it might well have been something else. To take it to its logical conclusion, you'd have to say that if he'd been brought up when I was, with no internet to distract him, he'd have got his predicted grades.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm 36 and had a Vic 20 in the early 80's, then a Nintendo, Sega Megadrive and Gameboy. I even remember the pong console you hooked up to the TV in the very early 80's.

I also had a Major Morgan and Speak'n'Spell when I was 5/6 as well.

The difference between my parents and yours seems to be that our use of these technologies were limited and monitored. Things like homework, chores, walking the dog, etc. had to be done before I was allowed to use them. I would never have been allowed to be holed up in my room on the Nintendo for hours on end like your brother was, nor would the vast majority of parents on this thread and in general allow it either.

I don't think it's nice for you to criticise my parents, especially given the fact that you know nothing about them. Your assessment of their parenting could not be further from the truth.

Anyway, people are entitled to bring their children up anyway they want to. We don't have to agree just because I don't think a toddler should be given an ipad/tablet etc. If everyone on this thread thinks it's a great idea to hook their children to computer games early - good for them. I just disagree.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it's nice for you to criticise my parents, especially given the fact that you know nothing about them. Your assessment of their parenting could not be further from the truth.

Anyway, people are entitled to bring their children up anyway they want to. We don't have to agree just because I don't think a toddler should be given an ipad/tablet etc. If everyone on this thread thinks it's a great idea to hook their children to computer games early - good for them. I just disagree.

You brought your parents and brother into it by using them as an example of the 'evils' of letting kids use technology, and it is a fact that it is up to the parents to control and monitor how and when their children use it and ensure it doesn't impact on things like their schoolwork.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's a fair point though. The problem arises when parental control is not exerted. Used in the right environment, tablets are a great aid to children's education. However if they are allowed to use them for hours on end, at the cost of everything else due to lack of parental parameters (as it seems your brother was) this is when the problem occurs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good luck trying to impose parental controls on an 18-year-old!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Some didn't have any computer games until he turned18 then :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Little NellLittle Nell Posts: 1,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And your point is?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    my niece and nephew share an ipad and to be honest, the older one has learned to swear from using the ipad, simply by watching you tube videos of thomas the tank and peppa pig, they look like normal cartoons but people have dubbed over the sound with disgusting language, no warning at all that they are not suitable for children.

Im not saying they are bad for children but i was shocked how well they can work it and go in and out of all sorts and the youngest cant even hold a pencil correctly yet.

They need to be supervised closely.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tackomacko wrote: »
    my niece and nephew share an ipad and to be honest, the older one has learned to swear from using the ipad, simply by watching you tube videos of thomas the tank and peppa pig, they look like normal cartoons but people have dubbed over the sound with disgusting language, no warning at all that they are not suitable for children.

Im not saying they are bad for children but i was shocked how well they can work it and go in and out of all sorts and the youngest cant even hold a pencil correctly yet.

They need to be supervised closely.
    The simple remedy to that would be to turn off the internet access on the tablet and install a password that means the adult can connect and check any content before letting the kid use it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The simple remedy to that would be to turn off the internet access on the tablet and install a password that means the adult can connect and check any content before letting the kid use it.

which is why i said they need to be supervised .....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tackomacko wrote: »
    youtube doesnt work without the internet.

I know... So no chance of a kid being able to watch unsuitable content .
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,177
    Forum Member
    We got my eldest two innotabs... Absoutley Rubbish, replaced them with iPod touch and they are both as happy as larry with them :-)

They have Griffiths survivor cases on them
    Too! They are a must!

My son looked at this for about 5 minutes and put it down, never to be picked up again. :o

I gave him my old iPad and he looks after it very well. I'll upgrade it for him at some point probably not at Christmas but in the new year.

OP I echo the opinion of the Hudl, it looks very good, great reviews!