Options

The Carry On Films And Carry On Television Series Appreciation Thread

Comments

• Options
    gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    myss wrote: »
    OMG are you sure it's her? I wouldn't have recognised her at all!

Edit: It's alright, I've got my answer! ;) Anyone know of any other now known actor/actress who had a small part in the Carry Ons when they were relatively unknown??

Penelope Keith was in Carry On Doctor, but her scenes were cut.

Jonny Briggs had a couple of minor roles in England and Matron before finding fame as Mike Baldwin in Corrie.

Patrick Mower was in England and is now a big name in Emmerdale (though I have a feeling he was already quite well-known when he was cast in England.

Also sticking with Emmerdale, Shirley Stelfox (Emmerdale's Edna) has a blink-and-you-miss-it cameo in At Your Convenience.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,568
    Forum Member
    Frankie Howerd: The Lost Tapes is just starting on Channel 4 (from 8.30 pm on Channel 4 +1).

Carry On star Frankie was in two Carry On films and he also appeared in one of the Carry On Christmas comedies - made by Thames Television for ITV.

For anyone who reads this after Frankie Howerd: The Lost Tapes has been shown it is on again on 4seven tomorrow (2.1.2013) from 7.25 pm to 9 pm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Carry On Dick - the 26th Carry On film - is on More 4 today (Monday 7.1.2013) from 11.40 am to 1.25 pm.

For any readers who do not know, Carry On Dick was the last Carry On film Sid James and Hattie Jacques appeared in.
  • Options
    BritFlicks1BritFlicks1 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love the Carry Ons and have been reading Liz Fraser's autobiography but I have to say the producer, Peter Rogers, does not come across well. Fraser herself was dropped after making comments about the way the films were distributed but what shocked me more was Rogers's treatment of Joan Sims.

Sims was one of the longest serving Carry On stars and one of the most loyal, however, years later when she found herself hard up and went to Rogers for help, he refused. I always considered it wrong that he never shared the profits with the others but that was lousy of him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Carry Ons on television in the coming days

Tuesday 8.1.2013

Carry On Spying, 11 am to 12.45 pm on Film 4
    Carry On Abroad, 11.40 am to 1.25 pm on More 4

Saturday 12.1.2013

That's Carry On, 2.35 am to 4.10 am on ITV 1
    Carry On Spying, 3.05 pm to 4.50 pm on Film 4

For any readers who do not know, Carry On Abroad - the 24th Carry On film - has most of the Carry On stars in it. Carry On Spying - the ninth Carry On film - is one of the best Carry On films ever made and is the first in which Barbara Windsor appeared.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Carry Ons on television in the coming days - update

Tuesday 8.1.2013

Carry On Spying, 11 am to 12.45 pm on Film 4
    Carry On Abroad, 11.40 am to 1.25 pm on More 4

Saturday 12.1.2013

That's Carry On, 2.35 am to 4.10 am on ITV 1
    Carry On Spying, 3.05 pm to 4.50 pm on Film 4

Monday 14.1.2013

Carry On Cabby, 2.55 pm to 4.45 pm on Film 4

For any readers who do not know, Carry On Abroad - the twenty-fourth Carry On film - has most of the Carry On stars in it. Carry On Spying - the ninth Carry On film - and Carry On Cabby - the seventh Carry On film - are two of the best Carry On films ever made. Barbara Windsor made her first appearance in Carry On Spying. Carry On Cabby was the last Carry On film Esma Cannon appeared in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Carry On Constable is on television on 17.1.2013

Carry On Constable is on More 4 today - 17.1.2013 - from 11.45 am to 1.25 pm.

Carry On Constable was the fourth Carry On film and the first Carry On film with Carry On legend Sid James in it.
  • Options
    BritFlicks1BritFlicks1 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just looked at my Carry On book and it says Frankie Howerd was paid £7,500 for Carry On Doctor and £9,000 for Carry On Up the Jungle.

For the last film, Carry On Emmannuelle, all the stars received pay increases, except Joan Sims, whose wage remained at £2,500.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Carry On Cabby is on television on Sunday 20.1.2013

Carry On Cabby - the seventh Carry On film and one of the best Carry On films ever made - is on Film 4 from 3 pm to 4.50 pm today (Sunday 20.1.2013).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Carry On Constable is on television today - Monday 21.1.2013

Carry On Constable is on More 4 today - 21.1.2013 - from 11.50 am to 1.30 pm.

Carry On Constable was the fourth Carry On film to be made. It was the first Carry On film with Carry On legend Sid James.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Carry On Dick - the 26th Carry On film - is on More 4 today (Monday 7.1.2013) from 11.40 am to 1.25 pm.

For any readers who do not know, Carry On Dick was the last Carry On film Sid James and Hattie Jacques appeared in.

Despite the fact it's not generally regarded as one of the better Carry Ons - I like Dick (pardon the expression...:o). There's good rapport between Sid and Babs, and Kenny W is brilliant.

Shame Charlie Hawtrey had been axed by this stage as he would have been good fun too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the Carry Ons and have been reading Liz Fraser's autobiography but I have to say the producer, Peter Rogers, does not come across well. Fraser herself was dropped after making comments about the way the films were distributed but what shocked me more was Rogers's treatment of Joan Sims.

Sims was one of the longest serving Carry On stars and one of the most loyal, however, years later when she found herself hard up and went to Rogers for help, he refused. I always considered it wrong that he never shared the profits with the others but that was lousy of him.

I'll never forgive him for axing Charlie Hawtrey - though to fair, Charlie pretty much got himself sacked :(.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gboy wrote: »
    There's good rapport between Sid and Babs, and Kenny W is brilliant. Shame Charlie Hawtrey had been axed by this stage as he would have been good fun too.

I like Carry On Dick too - and who can forget the ending? I thought this was one of Hattie's best films.

If Charlie had remained in the Carry Ons they might have gone on longer than they did.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    Peter Rogers was not a nice man. He paid his actors penny's when his films were making millions of pounds. He was the luckiest man alive to have the talent on board as he did.

Even in a box-set of the Carry Ons released not long before he died, he stuck to his guns about how the actors were dispensable, and rather it was the Carry On title itself that was the only attraction. He said this even after the disaster which was the last Carry On to be made.

He let his talent of actors pretty much die in poverty knowing full well that they would be typecast for ever. Joan Sims, a gifted actress, was flat out refused financial help from PR. When all along they should have received royalties, if not a decent wage for the films.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Carry On Sergeant is on television on Monday 22.1.2013

Carry On Sergeant - the first Carry On film - is on Channel 4 today from 1 pm to 2.40 pm (22.1.2013).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    Carry On Sergeant is on television on Monday 22.1.2013

Carry On Sergeant - the first Carry On film - is on Channel 4 today from 1 pm to 2.40 pm (22.1.2013).

Thanks Terry Telly for doing this. we really appreciate it! :) The Carry On films never fsil to make me smile.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jenkins123 wrote: »
    Thanks Terry Telly for doing this. we really appreciate it! :) The Carry On films never fail to make me smile.

Thanks for your thanks Jenkins :).

Yes - the Carry On films make me laugh and smile too. :D

I don't know if you have seen the Carry On Christmas specials made for television - but if you haven't they are well worth watching.

:cool:
  • Options
    bloodynorabloodynora Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Carry On Cabby is on television on Sunday 20.1.2013

Carry On Cabby - the seventh Carry On film and one of the best Carry On films ever made - is on Film 4 from 3 pm to 4.50 pm today (Sunday 20.1.2013).

Carry on Cabby and Carry on screaming are my 2 favourite Carry On films
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bloodynora wrote: »
    Carry on Cabby and Carry on Screaming are my 2 favourite Carry On films

They are both great films and are two of my favourites as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Carry On Matron is on television on Saturday 26.1.2013

Carry On Matron - the twenty-third Carry On film to be made - is on ITV 1/ITV 1 HD today (Saturday 26.1.2013) from 3 am to 4.30 am.

For any readers who do not know, most of the Carry On stars are in Carry On Matron.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Sunday 3.2.2013

Carry On Matron – ITV 3 from 12.45 pm to 2.30 pm.

Carry On Matron was the twenty-third Carry On film to be made.

Monday 4.2.2013

Carry On Regardless – Film 4 from 2.35 pm to 4.30 pm

Carry On Regardless was the fifth Carry On film to be made.

Wednesday 6.2.2013

Carry On Nurse – More 4 from 11.50 am to 1.30 pm

Carry On Nurse was the second Carry On film to be made.
  • Options
    emailsemails Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    when are they going to show carry on columbus? the 1989 film last one ever made
  • Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    emails wrote: »
    when are they going to show carry on columbus? the 1989 film last one ever made

Never hopefully. I dont even acknowledge it as a Carry On film.
  • Options
    guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm watching Carry On Matron...

Very funny!
  • Options
    Forum Member

Saturday 9.2.2013

Carry On Regardless, from 5.15 pm to 7 pm on Film 4.

Carry On Regardless was the fifth Carry On film.

Tuesday 12.2.2013

Carry On Nurse, from 11.50 am to 1.30 pm on More 4.

Carry On Nurse was the second Carry On film.

Wednesday 13.2.2013

Carry On Teacher, from 11.50 am to 1.30 pm on More 4.

Carry On Teacher was the third Carry On film.