Options

LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 25)

Comments

• Options
    Charlie DrakeCharlie Drake Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You didn't know there was such a thing? How could you not? Every region and city has accents. I find the idea that you can't hear an accent because you live there quite bizarre. Of course you'd notice, no matter how long you've lived here. How do the people sounds in shops, on buses, in the street, in pubs, on Eastenders? Those are London accents. Record yourself speaking, that's a London accent.

Thank you, Fireball XL5 - that is precisely what I was pointing out.
  • Options
    HappyTreeHappyTree Posts: 4,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thatcher was only a grocers daughter.
    but she knew where to stick the apostrophe
    but her melons were rarely on display
    but she knew how to stack her peaches
    but she was no stranger to peeling bananas
    but she knew how to blow a monkey
    but she knew how to take a leek
    but she really knew her onions

but she rose to high office and destroyed British society.

Maybe the last one needs a bit of work :D
  • Options
    MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe i either typed something incorrect? Worked for

Global? Nope...Or is this is sarcasm? :confused:

You said
    I do find it interesting that LBC have not made an effort to find one person of colour in 2013

How would you know that unless you worked for Global?

Please do not make sweeping statements unless you can back them up.
  • Options
    TomWhittonTomWhitton Posts: 1,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HappyTree wrote: »
    but she knew where to stick the apostrophe
    but her melons were rarely on display
    but she knew how to stack her peaches
    but she was no stranger to peeling bananas
    but she knew how to blow a monkey
    but she knew how to take a leek
    but she really knew her onions

but she rose to high office and destroyed British society.

Maybe the last one needs a bit of work :D

But she knew how to shut down a coalmine.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You said

How would you know that unless you worked for Global?

Please do not make sweeping statements unless you can back them up.

Sweeping statements? Oh dear,it seems i have touched a

rawnerve.I am sure 'sweeping statements' are made by

most people at some point. But that does get away from

my central point,why no black/persons of colour presenting

on LBC? I guess Nigel Farage will have his own slot soon
  • Options
    clitheroe1clitheroe1 Posts: 4,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sweeping statements? Oh dear,it seems i have touched a

rawnerve.I am sure 'sweeping statements' are made by

most people at some point. But that does get away from

my central point,why no black/persons of colour presenting

on LBC?
    I guess Nigel Farage will have his own slot soon

It's a fair question to ask considering that approximately 30% of the London population is Asian, black, mixed or Arab. That's not to say that there should be more black and Asian presenters but isn't it natural to wonder why considering the significant number of people of colour there are in London? People from different backgrounds have a different perspective on issues and it might make for different and better discussions on LBC.
  • Options
    gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clitheroe1 wrote: »
    It's a fair question to ask considering that approximately 30% of the London population is Asian, black, mixed or Arab. That's not to say that there should be more black and Asian presenters but isn't it natural to wonder why considering the significant number of people of colour there are in London? People from different backgrounds have a different perspective on issues and it might make for different and better discussions on LBC.

Are you suggesting that LBC have a policy of apartheid?

Morning all. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you suggesting that LBC have a policy of apartheid?

Morning all. :)

I'm suggesting nothing, I was saying it's a fair and reasonable question to ask why LBC has no black, mixed, Arab or Asian presenters when they make up 30% of the local population.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clitheroe1 wrote: »
    I'm suggesting nothing, I was saying it's a fair and reasonable question to ask why LBC has no black, mixed, Arab or Asian presenters when they make up 30% of the local population.

Ah, right. Perhaps they haven't had an application from anybody from that demography who meets their requirements. It is a very overcrowded profession. What's your theory?
  • Options
    makeba72makeba72 Posts: 5,723
    Forum Member
    Ah, right. Perhaps they haven't had an application from anybody from that demography who meets their requirements. It is a very overcrowded profession. What's your theory?

Do you think that high-profile radio stations get applications, or do you think they head-hunt and make approaches themselves?
  • Options
    ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member
    TomWhitton wrote: »
    But she knew how to shut down a coalmine.

With more than a little help from Arthur Scargill. ;)

Nick Abbot just couldn't help himself, come midnight and it was back to bankers ... again. The first two hours of his programme were wonderful, lighthearted and funny, especially the woman who rang in with her myriad of barking mad conspiracy theories.

I hope Amanda's feeling better this morning, she certainly brought out the hypochondria in Nick.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    makeba72 wrote: »
    Do you think that high-profile radio stations get applications, or do you think they head-hunt and make approaches themselves?

I have no idea but I honestly don't think any mainstream radio station would operate a system of choosing employees by any method other than by their competence. I don't know how it works but I believe it's possible to start as a phone-jockey/tea maker/whatever and work your way up through the system. Isn't that how Steve Allen started?

I imagine head-hunting goes on if they hear somebody on Yokel FM who might suit them. But they wouldn't be given their own show immediately; they'd be tried out doing guest spots and relief work.

Perhaps somebody who's worked in radio could enlighten us as to how recruitment procedure works.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no idea but I honestly don't think any mainstream radio station would operate a system of choosing employees by any method other than by their competence. I don't know how it works but I believe it's possible to start as a phone-jockey/tea maker/whatever and work your way up through the system. Isn't that how Steve Allen started?

I imagine head-hunting goes on if they hear somebody on Yokel FM who might suit them. But they wouldn't be given their own show immediately; they'd be tried out doing guest spots and relief work.

Perhaps somebody who's worked in radio could enlighten us as to how recruitment procedure works.

I think certain people get into radio via a reality tv show

such as JM who follows this forum or is told about it as he

was a bit miffed what i said about him on here yesterday

and commented on Twitter. So for some it's personality led

and if the public like you i guess a slot might be

given.Kelvin McKenzie is well known but failed probably

due to being a walking talking Sun broadcast and upsetting

the public who tired of him. I take it someone might

disagree? I good presenter needs a certain amount of

time and can benefit from being part of a duo,some are

naturals and others not cut out for it long term as some

voices have a boredom factor. But my original thought

was just London is a goldfish bowl and should have and be

proud of a worthwhile person of colour on LBC..No hidden

agenda..and no...i don't think Lee Jasper is suitable!:mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have no idea but I honestly don't think any mainstream radio station would operate a system of choosing employees by any method other than by their competence.

I need to just answer this and I hope you'll give my answer some consideration. Also, I cast no aspersions on LBC in particular - I just don't know.

I think your answer is naive. And I think it's how racism and other -isms are allowed to proliferate, because good people don't or refuse to believe that it can happen on the scale that is does happen. This leaves the victims feeling unheard or even treated as liars, or being accused of having a chip on their shoulder. Frankly, unless you've been on the receiving end of this stuff, you have no clue, no clue at all, about how often it happens and how it makes you feel.

Sadly, as we see in all kinds of business, prejudice exists, although it has become more subtle and insidious. Competence alone is not enough. As for LBC... as I said, I have no idea. But on the general principle, you're very wrong - even in 2013.

If I may say so, your earlier use of the term 'ethnic vibe', was part of a patchwork quilt of throw-away remarks that add to a bigger picture. You may (or may not) have meant no ill by it, but it all adds up in a way you cannot possibly understand. And I hope this goes some way to changing how you view things. Firstly, it's factually wrong - we are all 'ethnic' - it's a meaningless term. Did you mean 'ethnic minority'? In which case, which one? In any case, you'd be wrong again. That's not about race, but about class and age and geography.

And it's boring, and it's insidious and it hurts... it hurts... to have all that cr*p all the time. People shouldn't have to keep explaining this stuff, or be accused of having a chip on their shoulder, or no sense of humour all the blo*dy time when they say how they feel. It's horrible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sweeping statements? Oh dear,it seems i have touched a raw nerve.I am sure 'sweeping statements' are made by most people at some point. But that does get away from my central point,why no black/persons of colour presenting on LBC? I guess Nigel Farage will have his own slot soon

Not specifically a raw nerve, but it was your comment that annoyed me. What do you suggest is the reason there are no 'people of colour' presenting on LBC?

I think G-S summed it up very well, by suggesting it maybe a combination of application and head-hunting.

I read that Capital FM have just hired someone from Radio 1 to work on their breakfast programme. I feel sure he didn't apply for the job, but someone at Global must have heard his potential and 'made him an offer he couldn't refuse'.

BTW Jonnie can you not alter your software to not create a blank line space after every line? It is making your posts very difficult to read.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not specifically a raw nerve, but it was your comment that annoyed me. What do you suggest is the reason there are no 'people of colour' presenting on LBC?

I think G-S summed it up very well, by suggesting it maybe a combination of application and head-hunting.

Please read my post about yours.

Also, why do you keep putting '' around the phrase 'people of colour'?
  • Options
    NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I need to just answer this and I hope you'll give my answer some consideration. Also, I cast no aspersions on LBC in particular - I just don't know.

I think your answer is naive. And I think it's how racism and other -isms are allowed to proliferate, because good people don't or refuse to believe that it can happen on the scale that is does happen. This leaves the victims feeling unheard or even treated as liars, or being accused of having a chip on their shoulder. Frankly, unless you've been on the receiving end of this stuff, you have no clue, no clue at all, about how often it happens and how it makes you feel.

Sadly, as we see in all kinds of business, prejudice exists, although it has become more subtle and insidious. Competence alone is not enough. As for LBC... as I said, I have no idea. But on the general principle, you're very wrong - even in 2013.

If I may say so, your earlier use of the term 'ethnic vibe', was part of a patchwork quilt of throw-away remarks that add to a bigger picture. You may (or may not) have meant no ill by it, but it all adds up in a way you cannot possibly understand. And I hope this goes some way to changing how you view things. Firstly, it's factually wrong - we are all 'ethnic' - it's a meaningless term. Did you mean 'ethnic minority'? In which case, which one? In any case, you'd be wrong again. That's not about race, but about class and age and geography.

And it's boring, and it's insidious and it hurts... it hurts... to have all that cr*p all the time. People shouldn't have to keep explaining this stuff, or be accused of having a chip on their shoulder, or no sense of humour all the blo*dy time when they say how they feel. It's horrible.

Yes, I have lately thought that the term ethnic was rather meaningless, even when it's used in a racial context. In effect, we all are ethnic in some way or other, so you'll have to qualify it in some way. Whose or which ethnicity do you refer to, for instance? Even then, qualifying one's comments to "white", "black", "Asian" etc ethnicities is erroneous because even within these there is no common consensus among these groups. Many Polish people would regard themselves as "white" and yet the phone-in shows suggest that "white" Britons consider them as different from themselves. In addition, using the term "ethnic minority", there is an underlying tone in racial debates that suggests that no matter you were born and grew up in the UK, you'll still be a minority and an ethnic one first and foremost before you'll be considered British.

Tbh, I thought that "ethnic vibe" comment was really rather crass, and mitigating its crassness with a ;) or a:D smilie just makes it worse IMO. It wasn't clever or funny. But like a lot of things to do with anything with the racial debate (and its associations), I couldn't be bothered to comment at the time it was posted. It's like smashing your head against a brick wall most of the time, not to say it's extremely boring having to say anything at all.

Even now, I'm thinking twice about posting this. (I have to wrap certain words round quotes, for goodness sake *sighs*). But in any event, I thought I should if only to prevent you feeling like "smashing your head against the wall" or feeling bored and tired with having to say anything in the first place!
  • Options
    Virgin QueenVirgin Queen Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What is 'people of colour' supposed to mean? Which colour?

Most people who are generally called 'black' are not black at all. More like brown. Many asians, sometimes called 'brown', are the same colour as white people. The chinese who I see aren't yellow at all.
    If there needs to be a distinction, how about dark and light?
    Or perhaps we should stick to African, Asian, European etc.
    Then we'd know what we were talking about. (Or, at least, I would.)
  • Options
    tommy2teetommy2tee Posts: 345
    Forum Member

This is one of those phrases that JOB uses frequently and seems to be used a lot these days. I personally don't like it or the way it is often used but then I am from the distant past.:D

Jog on is another one JOB uses and seems to have caught on with other people.

Can't say I have ever seen or heard of a job as a presenter on LBC being advertised, I believe they are a bit like footballers recruited through agents or head hunted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My theory is that LBC management are not interested in having their presenting staff reflecting the diversity of the London. The fact that only about 20-30% of their presenters are women is futher evidence of this. If they are not getting applications from people of colour when they make up 30% of the local population why are they not asking the question why that is?

Having worked as a manager in both public and private sector and involved in recruiting hundreds of members of staff, we used to record the ethnic and gender make up of all candidates at every step of the recruitment process (applications, interview short lists, first stage interviews, second stage interviews and successful candidate) so we could identify if there was something we were doing, or not doing, in our recruitment process that was a potential obstacle for certain people getting jobs. So for example, if about 20% of candidates being shortlisted for interviews were Asian but only 5% of people being recruited were Asian, we would be asking the question what is it about our interview process that is hindering the recruitment of Asians because statistically you would expect a similar percentage to be successful at each stage. If we were not getting many Asians applying we would be asking ourselves why are our processes not attracting sufficient Asians.

There was no good reason why the workforce of a company shouldn't reflect the diversity of our local population and frankly I would have thought LBC management would be asking themselves the question why do they not have more women or any black/Asian/mixed presenters and what they could be doing to improve that situation. This is not about filling quotas or being politically correct, it's about good management and being responsible and caring about the community in which they operate.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »
    With more than a little help from Arthur Scargill. ;)

Nick Abbot just couldn't help himself, come midnight and it was back to bankers ... again. The first two hours of his programme were wonderful, lighthearted and funny, especially the woman who rang in with her myriad of barking mad conspiracy theories.

I don't mind Nick's banker-bashing as it's often funny (as well as being right).

I'd like to see Nick co-host a slot occasionally with James Max - similar to Ken and David's show. I can't imagine it would be the kind of gentle ribbing that Ken and Dave tend to give each other.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is 'people of colour' supposed to mean? Which colour?

Most people who are generally called 'black' are not black at all. More like brown. Many asians, sometimes called 'brown', are the same colour as white people. The chinese who I see aren't yellow at all.
    If there needs to be a distinction, how about dark and light?
    Or perhaps we should stick to African, Asian, European etc.
    Then we'd know what we were talking about. (Or, at least, I would.)

My understanding is that the term "people of colour" was introduced to replace the previously used "non-white" which gave the impression that white was the accepted standard with which everything should be compared. "People of colour" is not an ideal phrase but I believe an improvement on "non-white" as a collective term used to describe people who are racially of black, Asian or Arab descent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Because it is not a phrase I would use myself, but I am quoting from JfB.
  • Options
    RedunitedRedunited Posts: 1,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Petrie Hoskens callers are so stupid and arrogant 1 caller barry I'm paying to much tax barry also said its unfair.TOUGH life's UNFAIR, get over yourself you stupid thick fool.Dont want to pay tax then leave the country you stupid idiot.
  • Options
    TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Redunited wrote: »
    Petrie Hoskens callers are so stupid and arrogant 1 caller barry I'm paying to much tax barry also said its unfair.TOUGH life's UNFAIR, get over yourself you stupid thick fool.Dont want to pay tax then leave the country you stupid idiot.

I tuned in a while ago and Petrie was throwing her toys out of the pram about having to avoid roadworks (how dare they close Regent Street for long enough to put a new water main in and make sure it holds this time) and how everyone has 'utter contempt' for the motorist, and when I went back it's all about paying too much tax. Like anyone really wants to pay it?
    Isn't there anything else to talk about for a change?
This discussion has been closed.