Options

Pick Of The Pops - Radio 2

Comments

• Options
    DUHODUHO Posts: 2,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ClareB wrote: »
    I did catch some of the 1980 chart live on Saturday and was waiting impatitently for Daytrip To Bangor. Totally gutted the trip was cancelled, though I know that Tony played it when doing charts from around this time. Phil does seem quite keen on charts from around this time, and I can't blame him as this was an excellent, but it means there's only two I've not already commented on.

January 12 1980

11 WITH YOU I'M BORN AGAIN - BILLY PRESTON AND SYREETA - Maybe a little surprising that this eventually climbed to no. 2, but its a nice ballad and their voices work well together.
    19 BLUE PETER - MIKE OLDFIELD - Love a TV theme and was definitely a Blue Peter viewer during this golden period with John Noakes and Shep the dog.

The 1986 chart will be great. I really hope he plays Russians, even though its going down the charts.

Maybe in the current climate Fiddlers dram wasn't played because Jack got a bit frisky on the way home from Bangor and we cant have that.....
  • Options
    Nick GNick G Posts: 1,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can any Roger Scott Capital Hitline fans remember where the parody daytrip was to? Jackie and the Commuters?
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ClareB wrote: »
    I did catch some of the 1980 chart live on Saturday and was waiting impatitently for Daytrip To Bangor. Totally gutted the trip was cancelled, though I know that Tony played it when doing charts from around this time. Phil does seem quite keen on charts from around this time, and I can't blame him as this was an excellent, but it means there's only two I've not already commented on.

January 12 1980

11 WITH YOU I'M BORN AGAIN - BILLY PRESTON AND SYREETA - Maybe a little surprising that this eventually climbed to no. 2, but its a nice ballad and their voices work well together.
    19 BLUE PETER - MIKE OLDFIELD - Love a TV theme and was definitely a Blue Peter viewer during this golden period with John Noakes and Shep the dog.

The 1986 chart will be great. I really hope he plays Russians, even though its going down the charts.
    With You I'm Born Again is one of my all time favourite ballads. I'd actually have preferred it to have been at No1 instead of The Pretenders who kept it off the top spot for two weeks.

Blue Peter, and I remember very well the item on the show with Simon Groom watching Mike Oldfield producing this new updated theme for the programme. I would have liked to hear it as it is the very best arrangement of the theme the show ever had.

Have just found the actual item from the show about the Blue Peter song - https://youtu.be/f4K6_8_Q0PQ

As for John Noakes and Shep, well they were long gone by January 1980, having left the show in the summer of '78. It was Simon and Goldie by the very start of the 80's.

Incidentally Shep passed away this very week 30 years ago - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shep_(British_dog)
  • Options
    Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nick G wrote: »
    Can any Roger Scott Capital Hitline fans remember where the parody daytrip was to? Jackie and the Commuters?
    'Daytrip From Barnhurst'! Apparently the parody song was inspired by the regular cancellation of the 8:14 train from Barnhurst to Blackfriars and its subsequent regular announcement on the Breakfast travel news. I've never heard the parody single but recently read about it at a music forum. It apparently made the Capital Hitline top 10 in 1980.
  • Options
    Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick G wrote: »

I think you mean when Mike Smith reported the 8.14 Barnehurst to Blackfriars train usually being cancelled?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSMHEleQ6mY

See post 31 here http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=74048646
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    'Daytrip From Barnhurst'! Apparently the parody song was inspired by the regular cancellation of the 8:14 train from Barnhurst to Blackfriars and its subsequent regular announcement on the Breakfast travel news. I've never heard the parody single but recently read about it at a music forum. It apparently made the Capital Hitline top 10 in 1980.
    You've heard it now Robbie, here it is;

Jackie & The Commuters - Day Trip From Barnehurst - https://youtu.be/TBPahAoVUyQ

EDIT; Sorry Multimedia I posted this before reading your above similar post.
  • Options
    Boz_LowdownlBoz_Lowdownl Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    With You I'm Born Again is one of my all time favourite ballads. I'd actually have preferred it to have been at No1 instead of The Pretenders who kept it off the top spot for two weeks.

Blue Peter, and I remember very well the item on the show with Simon Groom watching Mike Oldfield producing this new updated theme for the programme. I would have liked to hear it as it is the very best arrangement of the theme the show ever had.

Have just found the actual item from the show about the Blue Peter song - https://youtu.be/f4K6_8_Q0PQ

As for John Noakes and Shep, well they were long gone by January 1980, having left the show in the summer of '78. It was Simon and Goldie by the very start of the 80's.

Incidentally Shep passed away this very week 30 years ago - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shep_(British_dog)

I would have preferred ANY song to be Number 1 instead of Brass in Pocket. Dreadful song, although The Pretenders have had a few classics.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Today is our day on Pick Of The Pops with Gambo to hear the hits on this date back in 1971 and 1986. :)

Always lots of Saturday Love when we Hit That Perfect Beat each week. The Sun Always Shines On....Radio!
  • Options
    mr_popquizmr_popquiz Posts: 26,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Today is our day on Pick Of The Pops with Gambo to hear the hits on this date back in 1971 and 1986. :)

Always lots of Saturday Love when we Hit That Perfect Beat each week. The Sun Always Shines On....Radio!

Thank you for the reminder Mr Mister T!

Saturday Love reminds me of the Robbie Vincent Soul Show on Radio 1 FM Stereo on Sunday nights. I used to record the show every week onto a C120 cassette - I still have a few shows which I play every now and then. I had 2 requests played on the show in 1987 as a former work colleague and I had the same birthday and we both listened to Robbie Vincent.

There are a couple of great tracks on Alexander O'Neal's self titled album - If You Were Here Tonight and What's Missing - both were played a lot by Robbie Vincent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mr_popquiz wrote: »
    Thank you for the reminder Mr Mister T!

Saturday Love reminds me of the Robbie Vincent Soul Show on Radio 1 FM Stereo on Sunday nights. I used to record the show every week onto a C120 cassette - I still have a few shows which I play every now and then. I had 2 requests played on the show in 1987 as a former work colleague and I had the same birthday and we both listened to Robbie Vincent.

There are a couple of great tracks on Alexander O'Neal's self titled album - If You Were Here Tonight and What's Missing - both were played a lot by Robbie Vincent.
    I see what you did there. Did a double take for a millisecond thinking you'd made a mistake. :cool:

Robbie Vincent, whatever happened to him? He seemed okay. I never listened to that show you mention but he did seem to pop up doing some TV presentation I recall.

I bet the wrong 1986 chart gets played today. I bet the show plays the w/e 18th January 1986 instead of w/e 25th January 1986 which came out on this very day, this lunchtime, right at this moment on 21st January. "This day" is very important to Paul and we know he likes accuracy of facts. About to find out.
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hour 1 - http://www.officialcharts.com/charts/uk-top-40-singles-chart/19710117/750140/
    TOTP -
    21-1-71: Presenter: Tony Blackburn (Wiped)

(26) ASHTON, GARDNER & DYKE – Resurrection Shuffle
    (NEW) PETULA CLARK – The Song Of My Life * WATCH
    (39) BOBBY BLOOM – Heavy Makes You Happy (video)
    (7) GEORGE HARRISON – My Sweet Lord (danced to by Pan’s People)
    (5) THE KINKS – Apeman ®
    (14) NEIL DIAMOND – Cracklin’ Rosie * WATCH
    (ALBUM TRACK) NEIL DIAMOND – Brother Loves Travelling Salvation Show
    (ALBUM TRACK) NEIL DIAMOND – Sweet Caroline
    (22) DAWN – Candida (crowd dancing) (and charts)
    (NEW) RUFUS THOMAS – Do The Push And Pull
    (1) CLIVE DUNN – Grandad (video)
    (24) THE SUPREMES – Stoned Love (crowd dancing) (and credits)
  • Options
    FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,851
    Forum Member
    Paul makes up for missing Fiddlers Dram last week with this week's number 1

Nice one:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hour 2 - http://www.officialcharts.com/charts/uk-top-40-singles-chart/19860112/750140/
    TOTP -
    16/01/86 (Dixie Peach & Mike Read) (rpt UK Gold)
    Fine Young Cannibals – “Suspicious Minds” (17) WATCH
    Dire Straits – “Walk Of Life” (4) (video)
    Cherrelle & Alexander O’Neal – “Saturday Love” (6) WATCH
    A-ha – “The Sun Always Shines On TV” (2)
    This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by WMG
    Mr Mister – “Broken Wings” (8) WATCH
    Pet Shop Boys – “West End Girls” (1) (video)
    Bronski Beat – “Hit That Perfect Beat” (3) (audience dancing/credits)
  • Options
    Troy TateTroy Tate Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    Although it went up 5 places, the Equals - Black Skin Blue-Eyed Boy, wasn't played. I've been wondering for a while if certain records are quietly dropped from playlists, without any ban publicity.
    I asked the Beeb last year but, the reply was it was commercial internal information.

Any other candidates? Brother Louis by Hot Chocolate - Melting Pot by Blue Mink. Not heard in years.
  • Options
    Gerry1Gerry1 Posts: 4,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shock, Horror - they played the F-word at lunchtime !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Predictably playing the wrong chart week from "this day" in 1986.

Larry Steinbachek, the bespeckled one from Bronski Beat passed away in December.

http://www.nme.com/news/music/bronski-beat-keyboardist-larry-steinbachek-has-died-1943774
  • Options
    snukrsnukr Posts: 19,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Troy Tate wrote: »
    Although it went up 5 places, the Equals - Black Skin Blue-Eyed Boy, wasn't played. I've been wondering for a while if certain records are quietly dropped from playlists, without any ban publicity.
    I asked the Beeb last year but, the reply was it was commercial internal information.

Any other candidates? Brother Louis by Hot Chocolate - Melting Pot by Blue Mink. Not heard in years.
    Melting Pot was played on Radio 2 quite recently.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Let me correct you there Rich - today is our day on Pick of the Pops with Gambo to hear the hits on this date that Gambo, Swern and the BBC will allow us to hear.
    Troy Tate wrote: »

Gambo may be gay but he obviously doesn't like Black Skin Blue Eyed Boys.

Looked the lyrics up, absolutely no reason not to play the song. And it was one of the few songs actually going up this week. They even resorted to playing an over played song at NUMBER 37 in the chart FFS! >:(

And how can not playing a song be "commercial internal information"!! I really hate the arrogance of some people who work at the BBC.
  • Options
    Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^
    again I doubt Gambo has much, if any, say in what does get or doesn't get played. It surely must be a Phil Swern decision alone on what is chosen.
  • Options
    Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You've heard it now Robbie, here it is;

Jackie & The Commuters - Day Trip From Barnehurst - https://youtu.be/TBPahAoVUyQ

EDIT; Sorry Multimedia I posted this before reading your above similar post.

That's ok Rich, although just after my post I spotted that Robbie had also given some information. :blush:

About Daytrip to Bangor, and I heard it on Tameside Radio's Show that Time Forgot this lunchtime. :cool:
  • Options
    ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wow, was it really summer 1978 that John Nokes left POTP. I wasn't quite five then but I remember watching him and Shep on it. I remember how upset John Noakes was breaking the news that he'd died.

Getting back to POTP, I did actually hear the 1986 chart live this week and I'm just being lazy, as usual, in commenting even though there aren't that many songs I haven't commented on before.

14 RING OF ICE - JENNIFER RUSH - Great to hear this rather than the majorly over played Power Of Love. One I remember from the time but it seems like everyone else has pretty much forgotten. I may be wrong on this but I think the album version is different to the single version. I've certainly heard a different version of it that isn't as good.
    12 RUSSIANS - STING -So glad this was played, as I was hoping. Not particularly a fan of Sting but this is such a haunting piece of music with though provoking lyrics. There's only this and Spread A Little Happiness that I really like from Sting's solo catalogue.

Top 20 tracks skipped -

16 WRAP HER UP - ELTON JOHN - First off, I'm not sure if it was a contractual thing that George Michael isn't credited on this. If he had been it would've probably gone higher in the charts. It certainly wouldn't be as good without his inupt. I just love the way he echoes what Elton sings in his falsetto voice. Its always annoyed me how this song, featuring two such big artists is so cruelly ignored. Apart from retro charts you never hear it, which makes it being skipped so unforgiveable.
    15 LEAVING ME NOW - LEVEL 42 - A bit depressing, but I do like this, as I do most of Level's 42 hits. I do sometimes get this mixed up in my head with It's Over, though, which is on the same theme but from the other point of view.
    07 GIRLIE GIRLIE - SOPHIA GEORGE - One of those songs that will always make me smile when I hear it, probably because I remember I always used to think she sang "you're just a flash of Curly Wurly". I also used to be a bit confused as to why she was calling him "girlie" which to me means she's saying he's like a girl when that's obviously not what she means.

Really excited about a 1991 chart this week and hope I get to listen live again. I have a recording of the original chart countdown from the week before the one POTP should be featuring and its a real timepiece, with having Gulf War updates throughout it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Today is our day on Pick Of The Pops with Paul Gambaccini to hear the hits on this date back in 1966 and 1991.

Spanish Flea's are A Must To Avoid. Wiggle It and it's Gonna Make You Sweat. No Innuendo there. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hour 1 - http://www.officialcharts.com/charts/singles-chart/19660127/7501/
    TOTP -
    20-1-66: Presenter: David Jacobs (Wiped)

(20) CILLA BLACK – Love’s Just A Broken Heart
    (12) OTIS REDDING – My Girl (crowd dancing)
    (NEW) PAUL & BARRY RYAN – Have Pity On The Boy
    (16) DAVID & JONATHAN – Michelle
    (21) CRISPIAN ST. PETERS – You Were On My Mind
    (6) HERMAN’S HERMITS – A Must To Avoid ®
    (NEW) STEVIE WONDER – Uptight (Everything’s Alright) *
    (3) HERB ALPERT & THE TIJUANA BRASS – Spanish Flea (video)
    (1) SPENCER DAVIS GROUP – Keep On Running ®
    >> After 2 years, TOTP moves from Manchester to London.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What was the alternative Top 20 this week in 1966 then David?

When we get charts from '66 I always think of your alternative "real" charts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rick Astley's "Cry For Help" - crying for help for SAW to come and rescue him from this dreadful song.