Options

Those on benefit forced to clean streets....

Comments

• Options
    ImperialMintImperialMint Posts: 834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We can debate this for the next year, and it would be a waste of time. It is NOT going to happen.

My view is it should happen, but it's not. Never ever ever ever ever. Never.

The probability is zero.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well they should just leave us alone and concentrate on those who are claiming dole AND WORKING TOO.

get a job answering the phone at home.. or on the net, you seem pretty good at sitting on it for long periods
  • Options
    crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We can debate this for the next year, and it would be a waste of time. It is NOT going to happen.

In my view it should happen, but it's not. Never ever ever ever ever. Never.

The probability is zero.

Why do you say that? IB will be scrapped by 2013. So why do you think this is all talk when it's being announced today?
  • Options
    BradshawsbagBradshawsbag Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well they should just leave us alone and concentrate on those who are claiming dole AND WORKING TOO.

Don't you think they've tried?

There'll always be a black economy whoever's in power.
  • Options
    DinkyDooDinkyDoo Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But with doctors and government saying work is good for depression, you might find yourself up for assessment of your claim. Yes, I know you probably have good days and bad days, but if you're working serotonin kicks in and makes you feel better. Fact.

My son goes to the gym to keep active, as depression is part of his problem too and always says he feels better after exercise.

It depends on the job and how much you like it, I love my job, but I did have one job that made my depression far far worse and I ended up signed off sick .

Ive always said it should be 'The right job for the right person'

Just any old job can lead to depression getting worse, and depressed people just dont function well.
  • Options
    drumdrum Posts: 3,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rubbish. I've been on incapacity benefit exactly 20 years with depression and nerves. I have good days and bad days. What employerts want me when I may be able to go some days and not others?

:eek: 20 years? bloody hell!

Employers are more sympathetic then you think, you could still manage a couple fo hours a day . (IMO) I'm not having a go.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    that might be true for some people and situations but i`ve lost jobs because when i`m depressed i can`t leave the house.

But serotonin kicks in when you're active is a medical fact.

The government and doctors are saying this too. Yes, I know depression is dreadful, I've suffered with it. Medical intervention helps, but it's up to the patient to help themselves as well if possible.
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DinkyDoo wrote: »
    The way things are currently you can not do any kind of work paid or unpaid without if affecting your claim, this is something that needs addressing.

If someones been out of work for years then the best way to get experince at a job is to do it for free for a while to prove you can do it and get paid for it, but you are not allowed to do that right now.

Ive been back at work for over a year but on a low income so been getting housing benifit and ctax benifit but as my husband has now got full time work we are about to loose both benifits, and while we are getting enough to pay them the thought that we are now going to have to rely on us remembering to pay them is more than a little scary - so much so ive gone a bit OTT with making sure its the first thing paid and fretting if i cant get to the PO to make the payments on a certain day:o

Yes, I can see that would be scary. :(

I agree that not being able to get experience as a volunteer or whatever without losing benefits is crazy. A system needs to be devised whereby people can be provided with money to pay their bills whilst getting into work. A person might only be able to start a business, say, for a couple of days a week. Even an interest free loan or something for a transitional period.
  • Options
    pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But with doctors and government saying work is good for depression, you might find yourself up for assessment of your claim. Yes, I know you probably have good days and bad days, but if you're working serotonin kicks in and makes you feel better. Fact.
    Not fact, really. Do you know how many people are off with work-related stress and depression?

And if you're severely clinically depressed, you can't just go out and get a job and keep it. That advice sounds a bit similar to "just pull yourself together", and for your son's sake I hope that's not your general attitude to it :(
  • Options
    TelemekusTelemekus Posts: 220
    Forum Member
    Rubbish. I've been on incapacity benefit exactly 20 years with depression and nerves. I have good days and bad days. What employerts want me when I may be able to go some days and not others?

I think it is people like yourself who do need to be targeted with regards to the culture of long term benefits.

It is one thing to be depressed, but another thing entirely to shrug and simply accept that as a way of life, especially over a period of two decades.

Before you get uptight and start screaming that I don't know what I am talking about, I suffered depression myself about eight years ago. I recognised it, was treated for it, pulled myself together and made some changes to my life, and got through it.

And never claimed a penny incidentally.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kimindex wrote: »
    Yes, I can see that would be scary. :(

I agree that not being able to get experience as a volunteer or whatever without losing benefits is crazy. A system needs to be devised whereby people can be provided with money to pay their bills whilst getting into work. A person might only be able to start a business, say, for a couple of days a week. Even an interest free loan or something for a transitional period.

oh yes, give them more benefits!
    if i was starting a business, what would i get?
    stop labelling yourself.. the thought of having to pay the bils a bit depressing is it? best sign off sick again :mad:
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    drum wrote: »
    :eek: 20 years? bloody hell!

Employers are more sympathetic then you think, you could still manage a couple fo hours a day . (IMO) I'm not having a go.

Hmmm... I know a couple of people on IB who would love to get a proper job. They have lots of quals and experience and everytime they get interviewed it all goes well until the matter of their condition gets brought up and suddenly the employer isn't interested.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's ridiculous.

May as well make them wear uniforms with "LOSER" written in capitals on the back while they do it.

That's actually a good idea.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've known enough 'shirkers' in the past and I would welcome this. Able bodied lay abouts who are sponging off us make me sick.
    It makes my blood boil if when I have a day off work, I go for a lunchtime pint and see them drinking and smoking.

If I were to be made unemployed, I'd expect to have to work for my benefits, so why shouldn't those scrotes be made to?

If it upsets people, I don't care, I'm fed up working my backside off, paying more and more taxes on everything I do, whilst some people expect a free ride.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've known enough 'shirkers' in the past and I would welcome this. Able bodied lay abouts who are sponging off us make me sick.
    It makes my blood boil if when I have a day off work, I go for a lunchtime pint and see them drinking and smoking.

If I were to be made unemployed, I'd expect to have to work for my benefits, so why shouldn't those scrotes be made to?

If it upsets people, I don't care, I'm fed up working my backside off, paying more and more taxes on everything I do, whilst some people expect a free ride.

thank you, im 100% with you on this
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    Hmmm... I know a couple of people on IB who would love to get a proper job. They have lots of quals and experience and everytime they get interviewed it all goes well until the matter of their condition gets brought up and suddenly the employer isn't interested.

Employment advisors would help to find a suitable job.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pickwick wrote: »
    Not fact, really. Do you know how many people are off with work-related stress and depression?

And if you're severely clinically depressed, you can't just go out and get a job and keep it. That advice sounds a bit similar to "just pull yourself together", and for your son's sake I hope that's not your general attitude to it :(

The poster doesn't appear to have been out of work for 20 years with depression that's work related though.

Having had depression myself and with depression as a part of my son's Aspergers'/OCD, god forbid I should ever tell anyone to 'pull yourself together'. I know it's not that easy, but to fall into the trap of making one's depression a lifestyle choice is not a good thing.

And, yes, it is a medical fact.
  • Options
    ObiWanKenobiObiWanKenobi Posts: 171
    Forum Member

How do you know the guys drinking and smoking are benefit claimers?
  • Options
    ObiWanKenobiObiWanKenobi Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    That's actually a good idea.

I hope you're joking lol
  • Options
    pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What if they're on a day off too? And do you expect all people who are off on long-term sick to just stay in their houses and never go out?
  • Options
    crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My parents go sequence dancing every weekend. Their friend's been on IB with a bad back for about 25 years but can dance perfectly three evenings a week.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    But serotonin kicks in when you're active is a medical fact.

The government and doctors are saying this too. Yes, I know depression is dreadful, I've suffered with it. Medical intervention helps, but it's up to the patient to help themselves as well if possible.
    i see what you`re saying but it doesn`t work that way all the time for everyone. there`s not a cure all for depression.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because they will blatantly tell you so. I wouldn't begruge benefits to anyone with good reason, but when they're laughing at playing the system, it gets to you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My parents go sequence dancing every weekend. Their friend's been on IB with a bad back for about 25 years but can dance perfectly three evenings a week.

In that case, he shouldn't be on IB.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And there are genuine people with genuine disabilty who would benefit greatly from the money your parents friend is stealing.