KFC gravy

2»

Comments

• Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    phill363 wrote: »
    They showed the process of making it, they had a mix too which they added to the sludge and chicken bits

The procedure must have changed since I worked there. Either that or it was put on for the camera. The sludge from the fryer is as black as your boot, smells disgusting and a carcinogenic health hazard. I still eat there and the gravy tastes exactly the same as it did when I cooked it.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    The procedure must have changed since I worked there. Either that or it was put on for the camera. The sludge from the fryer is as black as your boot, smells disgusting and a carcinogenic health hazard. I still eat there and the gravy tastes exactly the same as it did when I cooked it.

The stuff on camera was brown and looked more sludge like than burnt.

Whether it was for the camera or not I couldn't tell.
  • Options
    Daisy BennybootsDaisy Bennyboots Posts: 18,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    My mam used to have a frying pan that was hardly ever cleaned out. It had a white layer of fat in it always. And the fat could be from anything. Sausages, bacon, steak, lamb, fish...

My friends mams have the same.

I do similar but I tend to pour off the fat into a cup at the side of the cooker and add a drop or two when needed.

Yeah my mum and nan both used to do that too. They both died of intestinal cancers at 58.

I deglase the roasting pan to make gravy....however reheating and cooling the burnt and flotsam bits of meat...how can that be good for you. It's horribly unappetizing too!
  • Options
    Bernard_Doyle1Bernard_Doyle1 Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    I emailed KFC and this was the reply

Dear Bernard,

Thank you for taking the time to get in touch with us here at KFC. We love
    to hear from our customers as it helps us to focus on the things that
    matter most.

When it comes to making gravy, most people these days use granules to get
    their flavour and to bulk up the recipe. At KFC, we use the products left
    over from cooking our chicken as the main flavouring, which gives us a
    natural yet maximum flavouring and this is something that we are very
    proud of as so many people love it. In the documentary it shows the left
    overs (crackling) being scraped, the flavouring is extracted by
    concentrating it, just like you would at home. The crackling is mixed with
    other ingredients to make the stock, and it tastes delicious.

We really hope that in the meantime you'll give us the opportunity to
    serve you something from our tasty menu again!

Best wishes on behalf of all of us at KFC,

Bradley
    emailed KFC and asked them how they make their gravy and this was the reply:
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,966
    Forum Member
    So it's made exactly the way gravy is made. What a shock.
  • Options
    Daisy BennybootsDaisy Bennyboots Posts: 18,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So it's made exactly the way gravy is made. What a shock.

Gravy is made by using the natural fats from the cut of meat ..not by fishing out the continually reheated crusty bits out of the bottom of a deep fat fryer after a few days.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gravy is made by using the natural fats from the cut of meat ..not by fishing out the continually reheated crusty bits out of the bottom of a deep fat fryer after a few days.

Correct, this is how we made it at home, used the juices and other bits from the meat tin on the same day for the gravy, I would not like to keep it longer.

These days I do not cook joints, so I do not get the bits, but I use gravy pot, which is far better than granules.
  • Options
    Forum Member

How do you think gravy is made in huge quantities?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do you think gravy is made in huge quantities?

Hopefully not that way.

When i worked in a Hotel, the gravy was mad from the meat juices, veg water and other bits from the meat, but it was made on the same day, not from bits at the bottom of a fryer, left there for days on end.
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like KFC gravy. It tastes weird and cloggy to me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    Hopefully not that way.

When i worked in a Hotel, the gravy was mad from the meat juices, veg water and other bits from the meat, but it was made on the same day, not from bits at the bottom of a fryer, left there for days on end.

To be fair, KFC get through a bit more gravy than your hotel though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair, KFC get through a bit more gravy than your hotel though.

As a company maybe, as a single store, maybe not.
    KFC was not here then, but we went though a lot of gravy, not that it was my job to make it, I made the pies.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    I saw it too, and was taken a back by it. Only because I thought it was - as some have said - a pre made powder, its nice to see gravy being made properly. I love the stuff. KFC is the only fast food I will eat really. My best friend only tried it a few years ago and he was so hooked that one Sunday he decided to go down the road and buy a couple of pots to pour over his Sunday dinner! not even kidding.:D