Options

Nicholas Briggs Sux at Dalek voices!

2»

Comments

• Options
    davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    Why, because he is knowledgable and talented? As much as I prefer Roy Skelton to Nick Briggs, I must admit I've not heard a more versatile range of Dalek voices, From Crazy Caan to Bold, Posh Supreme, Angry Emperor and of course the ordinary soldiers!
  • Options
    NewbieCanuckNewbieCanuck Posts: 6,698
    Forum Member
    Why, because he is knowledgable and talented? As much as I prefer Roy Skelton to Nick Briggs, I must admit I've not heard a more versatile range of Dalek voices, From Crazy Caan to Bold, Posh Supreme, Angry Emperor and of course the ordinary soldiers!

Wait a sec - did he voice the Spice Girls as well?
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HisMaj wrote: »
    Quite right!! Nick Briggs is rubbish and cleary so far up his own backside, is in danger of turning inside out.:mad::mad::mad:

Funny joke. Wait, you are joking right? Or are you mixing him up with Katie Price....easy mistake to make I'm sure....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,836
    Forum Member
    It isn't actually grammatically incorrect to begin a sentence with 'and', despite popular opinion on the subject.

It actually is because it confuses the structure of the sentence regarding the verb of the clause, and its relation to the subject and the object.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Filiman wrote: »
    It actually is because it confuses the structure of the sentence regarding the verb of the clause, and its relation to the subject and the object.

Clearly you take that very seriously:
    Really! Ugh, can't stand him.... in fact, he point me off buying any further Dalek Big Finish Audios after I bought my first one. I think he is dreadful..... I was so dissapointed to learn that he was doing the Dalek voices back in 2005. And am just as dissapointed to learn he is still going to do them. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sorry mate but there's no excuse for spelling sucks with an x :D

On topic, I think Nick Briggs (didn't know his name before this thread, but saw him on a confidential once doing the German Daleks which deserves a medal by itself) does a great job on the Dalek voices. But I wouldn't be averse to more than one person doing the job.

I was being deliberately obtuse.... of course sucks is not spelt with an x! I mean, come on!

But I would support the idea of bringing someone else in to do the voices in conjunction with Mr Briggs, at least to provide some tonal variety to the Daleks.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind him doing the Daleks but I'm not a fan of him doing every other voice going, Cybermen, Judoon etc. Surely there's more than one decent voiceover guy?? I would like to hear different Dalek intonations. They should have done this for the cult of Skaro, had different peopl for the other 3 Daleks, would have made them feel more unique.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    Clearly you take that very seriously:

But I'm not picking up others on their grammar, as I do not use formal grammar in informal mediums; I was pointing out that if you were so concerned with grammatical matters as to pick up others on it, you would not begin your sentences with "and". Hence, also the reason why you will find many a spelling error in my posts - because I consider this an informal medium and use grammar accordingly; similarly I do not pick up others on their grammar because it is an informal medium.
  • Options
    outsideoutside Posts: 5,610
    Forum Member
    I don't mind him doing the Daleks but I'm not a fan of him doing every other voice going, Cybermen, Judoon etc. Surely there's more than one decent voiceover guy?? I would like to hear different Dalek intonations. They should have done this for the cult of Skaro, had different peopl for the other 3 Daleks, would have made them feel more unique.

The irrational Fan side of me agrees with you furiously - and I've seen real hate for Briggs' vocal monopoly on other forums - but the bigger part of me shrugs and thinks "what does it matter?"!

I do think he's an awful scriptwriter, though. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    outside wrote: »
    The irrational Fan side of me agrees with you furiously - and I've seen real hate for Briggs' vocal monopoly on other forums - but the bigger part of me shrugs and thinks "what does it matter?"!

I do think he's an awful scriptwriter, though. :D

What has he written?
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind Nicholas Briggs. The way he puts himself over in Big Finish does verge on the ridiculous but given he's executive producer there I suppose that is his prerogative. I really liked The Nowhere Place, an 6th Doctor audio play he wrote.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What has he written?

He's executive producer at Big Finish. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Doctor_Who_audio_plays_by_Big_Finish
  • Options
    poppycodpoppycod Posts: 1,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't they get someone else to do it; he's dreadful. So is his ring modulator that they use (it just sounds like he's speaking into a fan).... for god's sake just fork out for a proper one.

Roy Skelton is still alive (last time I checked) - they should get him back.

I was hoping when RTD left that they'd give Nick Briggs the boot. Sadly that is not the case.

Totally agree.
    Not a patch on Skelton (even if he does sound like a manic Zippy!)
  • Options
    davros's chairdavros's chair Posts: 280
    Forum Member
    Never had a problem with Briggs doing the Dalek voices but it may be nice to have a few others in there just for variety.

Not sure where this hate comes from though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never had a problem with Briggs doing the Dalek voices but it may be nice to have a few others in there just for variety.

He does put himself over a lot at Big Finish- eg commissioning a series of Sherlock Holmes plays with him as the lead. It doesn't bother me though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Don't think there has been any hatred in this thread. :confused:

So often this board confuses disagreement with outright hatred. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    See the comment by HisMaj at the top of the page. Looks like hatred to me ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See the comment by HisMaj at the top of the page. Looks like hatred to me ;)

So you can't make strong criticisms without showing hatred? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    put it this way, I would not describe somebody like that if I liked them :)
  • Options
    mandyxxxxmandyxxxx Posts: 1,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    poppycod wrote: »
    So you can't make strong criticisms without showing hatred? :confused:

I think there is a considerable difference between strong criticism and apparent hatred. I think the post referred to could be classed as insulting rather than critical!

Anyway, as to whether Nick Briggs should stay or go...I vote with those who agree he should stay. I think his Dalek voice works very well.
    I wonder if some of the dislike (I deliberately avoid the word hatred) for him stems from dislike of the other things he's done and his TV interviews etc, which colours some people's view of how he performs as a Dalek.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best thing he's ever done is the voice in 'Dalek'. He managed to do a great Dalek voice flecked with emotion in that episode, which is what was required. Also the Dalek Emperor at the end of that series, top work. Especially delivery of lines like 'what does that make you, Doctor? Coward or killer??'

When they bring back the Cybermen I hope they don't use Nick's voice throughout. I would like them all to have different voices, to reflect the person they once were, that would be better than them all having the same robotic voice. Robocop still has Murphy's voice, and the Cybermen should be played in that way IMO.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Nick does quite a good job although watching the Dalek 'rant' at the end of Genises the other day reminded me how good Roy and the others actually where.

Roy seemed to inject the added bit of evil madness that I personally think is missing from Nicks version. But that is only a minor quibble.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 194
    Forum Member

Posh Supreme?
    Isn't that Victoria Beckham in a creamy sauce?

Blimey, that's an image I need to get out of my head now.