Options

Second MP ready to quit Leave campaign amid racism concerns

2»

Comments

• Options
    AliceyAlicey Posts: 5,294
    Forum Member
    I'm not buying it. Maybe he and Wollaston are giving reasons to leave the campaign but to switch sides over such a fundamental issue because you don't like the tone some people are using is absurd. Are they really that vapid? Can't imagine Major or Eagle or someone saying they don't like the tone of the remain campaign and have now decided they want to leave the EU in complete contradiction to everything they have said thus far.
  • Options
    CarlLewisCarlLewis Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    Alicey wrote: »
    I'm not buying it. Maybe he and Wollaston are giving reasons to leave the campaign but to switch sides over such a fundamental issue because you don't like the tone some people are using is absurd. Are they really that vapid? Can't imagine Major or Eagle or someone saying they don't like the tone of the remain campaign and have now decided they want to leave the EU.

No, something stinks about these sudden defections.
  • Options
    duncannduncann Posts: 11,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Two high profile Labour MPs have joined Brexit tonight. Dennis Skinner on the Left and John Mann on the Right. He was the one who superbly tackled Ken Livingstone on his Nazi comments.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While a person might well distance themselves from certain aspects of a campaign, that would never be a reason to "change sides".

Imagine if during the General Election campaign last year a Conservative MP being unhappy with how Ed Miliband was being portrayed quit the Tories and joined Labour...

It would be bizarre to say the least, and obviously a lie.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's see if Dennis Skinner gets 24 hours of media coverage including an item on the BBC Six O'Clock news and name dropped every 5 minutes in debates.
  • Options
    allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James2001 wrote: »
    The Brexiters think there is! I'm having a good laugh at the thread on the ITV debate where they think their side's coming across brilliantly and the Remain side are awful, when really both sides are being just as bad.

Bearing in mind your remain bias, that means Brexit are winning hands down.
  • Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    Let's see if Dennis Skinner gets 24 hours of media coverage including an item on the BBC Six O'Clock news and name dropped every 5 minutes in debates.

Why would he? He hasn't changed sides I don't think he's just declared
  • Options
    RRLRRL Posts: 1,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would he? He hasn't changed sides I don't think he's just declared

Well according to this he has only just declared his position

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/06/beast-bolsover-backs-brexit/
  • Options
    voteoutvoteout Posts: 7,227
    Forum Member
    RRL wrote: »
    Meanwhile Andy Burham has said Brexit will win the referendum and Owen Smith conceded it was on a knife edge.

Both on Newsnight 9/6/2016

It wouldn't surprise me if these were intended to sure up the remain vote.

There is no better way of getting any vote out than fear that the other lot will win.
  • Options
    RadlestortRadlestort Posts: 9,523
    Forum Member
    'Mr Mahmood said he was "disappointed" by Boris Johnson's comments about Barack Obama's father being from Kenya and by the focus on Turkish accession'.

Wow is that all it took, just shows how committed he was.

(if at all)
    That, and the other things he mentioned. Try to read the whole before jumping up to denounce his integrity:

“When Boris Johnson talks about where Obama's father comes from, what's that got to do with anyone? Why do we need to talk about who his parents are? That disappointed a lot of people.

"Then there was the advert about passports and the campaign saying Turkey could join the EU - that 76million people are coming to the UK and there have been a number of other things they used in a fairly racist context.

"I find that fairly offensive.

"My motivation originally was looking at the economy and the Commonwealth."
  • Options
    hufflestuffhufflestuff Posts: 2,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allaorta wrote: »

James has been having a good laugh at a lot of the posters on here he doesn't agree with too. I saw the the thread where he and some of the other hardcore remainers tried so hard to get the brexiters to take the bait.
  • Options
    paralaxparalax Posts: 12,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't they know controlling our borders would be discussed as one reason to leave before they joined?

If these people actually went out and spoke to the public as Farage and Johnson have they would understand that it is a big concern.
  • Options
    SteganStegan Posts: 5,039
    Forum Member
    CarlLewis wrote: »
    In this case though, they seem to be joining a sinking ship.

I think you could well be right. Remain had a really bad night last night. Why would anyone want to be on the same side as vindictive Angela Eagle or crazy Eddie Izzard? Wheeling out toxic Tony Blair wasn't a good move either - a man who is hated by so many.

It does make you wonder if some of these 'defections' to remain in particular are genuine? Were these people remainers all along? Some of the reasons given for changing their minds seem flimsy and highly dubious. Are they really plants, being triggered now because the remain campaign is stuttering? As I say, makes you wonder.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    RRL wrote: »
    Well according to this he has only just declared his position

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/06/beast-bolsover-backs-brexit/

Erm that's what I said....
  • Options
    SteganStegan Posts: 5,039
    Forum Member

I very much doubt it. The bias towards remain is beginning to show as we get ever closer to the vote.

The ITV debate with Farage and Cameron was also fixed in favour of Cameron. The producer of that show turns out to be a self avowed hater of Nigel Farage and UKIP, hence the overly aggressive questioning. Don't think it had too much effect on Farage though - he even noted himself they just weren't listening. Viewers at home will easily have sussed it.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I said we'll get one of these a day up to the 23rd it was in jest but it seems I was wrong.

The excuses for switching by the two MPs are implausible if they were genuine Leave supporters.
  • Options
    MisterEMisterE Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stegan wrote: »
    It does make you wonder if some of these 'defections' to remain in particular are genuine? Were these people remainers all along? Some of the reasons given for changing their minds seem flimsy and highly dubious. Are they really plants, being triggered now because the remain campaign is stuttering? As I say, makes you wonder.

Of course they aren't genuine defections. The idea that someone has fundamentally changed their mind on the future direction of the UK - on the important issues of immigration, the economy, trade, sovereignty, and our position on the world stage - purely because they don't like the tone of some comments made by one of their fellow campaigners, is complete nonsense.

I'm sure it's just a coincidence that these defections have only started to take place once the leave campaign has started to close the gap/pull ahead in the polls, and they're not in any way timed by the remain campaign to try and seize back the lead.

Is anyone actually suckered in by this? These idiots must think we're mugs.
  • Options
    Hacker HarrierHacker Harrier Posts: 1,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should be more worried about John Mann joining them. Bit of a loose cannon.

He was good value for this though.
  • Options
    Hacker HarrierHacker Harrier Posts: 1,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allaorta wrote: »

Tarring those thinking of voting to leave the European Union as racists is a sure-fire *winning* tactic.
  • Options
    OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fizzbin wrote: »
    And Gove.

And most gratifyingly IDS.

and there is the very real possibility that it will be the end of Cameron too, sweeeeet.
  • Options
    DaccoDacco Posts: 3,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Plants to deflect attention from remain?
  • Options
    OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should be more worried about John Mann joining them. Bit of a loose cannon.

NOT the words I would have (and do) used to describe him, but then they are very strict about swearing here. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Im not at all surprised that theres racism concerns regarding this campaign but it was really predictable given Farages past form.

As Suzanne Evans whom hes alleged to have bullied out of the party said only the other day his language is a little inflammatory.