Petition against immigration will be debated on 19 October

1235»

Comments

• Options
    DarthGoreDarthGore Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    Probably so, but I don't think Cameron cares anyway. We are moving to a point where giant fracture lines are appearing in the EU.

and I hope someone manages to widen those fractures to the point where the whole pointless exercise falls apart permanently!
  • Options
    SoomacdooSoomacdoo Posts: 6,645
    Forum Member
    It might be badly worded but people are still signing it.

183,319 and still going up.
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oxygenated wrote: »
    I take it you are hard left then :D

far from it but I actually understand what 'hard left' means...and it doesn't mean the Guardian.
  • Options
    deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2015/09/why-is-parliament-debating-a-petition-written-by-total-bigots/

Why is Parliament debating a petition written by ‘total bigots’?

Shortly after MPs return from the conference recess, they will debate a petition that orders the government to ‘close all borders and prevent more immigrants from entering Britain’ because ‘foreign citizens are taking all our benefits’ and ‘many of them are trying to change UK into a Muslim country’. It then adds that ‘there is footage of foreigners destroying British soldiers [sic] graves, which is a huge disrespect to us’. The petition has sailed past the 100,000 signature threshold and has over 185,000 names on it, which means it must be considered for debate in Parliament. MPs on the Petitions Committee have given it a Westminster Hall debate on 19 October.

My lobby colleague Jon Walker of the Birmingham Mail covers this petition here, with an angry quote from Labour’s Steve McCabe, who thinks that Parliament should not ‘dignify the views of total bigots with a Commons debate’.

People are entitled to worry about the islamification of Europe. If the politicians managed immigration properly there would not be so much anxiety. If their response is just to label people bigots it only makes them more convinced they are right.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    186,134 now. It should be over 200,000 before its discussed in parliament.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,601
    Forum Member
    http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2015/09/why-is-parliament-debating-a-petition-written-by-total-bigots/

People are entitled to worry about the islamification of Europe. If the politicians managed immigration properly there would not be so much anxiety. If their response is just to label people bigots it only makes them more convinced they are right.

Labelling people as bigots is perfectly understandable if they actually are bigots, as the author of this petition certainly appears to be. And if a petition contains untruths, as this one does, it should be rejected rather than given the dignity of a debate.