Options

Rachel Pleads For Votes

124»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,173
    Forum Member
    galena wrote: »
    As for Simon's comments to J&E - I think he is preparing the way for their eventual exit - perhaps they are getting a little too popular and he is trying to stop the bandwagon before he ends up with another Leon type act winning.

i dunno. i don't think so. he said he likes them as people, but still thinks they're dreadful singers. same thing he said to daniel evans and mcdonald brothers. it's not until he goes "ok, i give in. you're quite good at singing/performing" then we know he wants rid of them. and, if anything, cheryl's comment at the end of the results show will encourage people to vote for them more to annoy chery

also, they differ from daniel/same difference/mcdonalds/chico in that they really can't hold a tune. the 4 other "novelty" acts (as it were) can. so j&e are the perfect act to vote for to undermine all the x factor stands for. which is why the guardian and some others are getting behind them

i think it was mainly due to the so called "secret" memo saying they need to be nice to the twins that he said he likes them as people. that, and it's a bit much to just give 18 year old guys completely negative comments. ok, they were bad, but very funny and are genuinely nice people
  • Options
    galenagalena Posts: 7,277
    Forum Member
    Sib69 wrote: »
    i dunno. i don't think so. he said he likes them as people, but still thinks they're dreadful singers. same thing he said to daniel evans and mcdonald brothers. it's not until he goes "ok, i give in. you're quite good at singing/performing" then we know he wants rid of them. and, if anything, cheryl's comment at the end of the results show will encourage people to vote for them more to annoy chery

also, they differ from daniel/same difference/mcdonalds/chico in that they really can't hold a tune. the 4 other "novelty" acts (as it were) can. so j&e are the perfect act to vote for to undermine all the x factor stands for. which is why the guardian and some others are getting behind them

i think it was mainly due to the so called "secret" memo saying they need to be nice to the twins that he said he likes them as people. that, and it's a bit much to just give 18 year old guys completely negative comments. ok, they were bad, but very funny and are genuinely nice people

Hmm - my personal opinion is that Simon always has a reason for his comments. I always used to look forward to what he said, now I think he's becoming a bit fake. I think the bit I highlighted in your post actually supports my post - if people are voting for the twins to undermine the X Factor, they are more likely to vote for them if Simon is nasty to them surely?

(BTW I'm puzzled :confused: - Chico could hold a tune? Not as far as I can remember but I must admit he grew on me a little after I saw his stripper pictures - which revealed that his 'talent' was greater than I had realised ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,173
    Forum Member
    Hmm - my personal opinion is that Simon always has a reason for his comments. I always used to look forward to what he said, now I think he's becoming a bit fake. I think the bit I highlighted in your post actually supports my post - if people are voting for the twins to undermine the X Factor, they are more likely to vote for them if Simon is nasty to them surely?

(BTW I'm puzzled :confused: - Chico could hold a tune? Not as far as I can remember but I must admit he grew on me a little after I saw his stripper pictures - which revealed that his 'talent' was greater than I had realised ;)

yeah. simon was nasty about their performance, but nice to them as people. people won't care about the "i like you as people" bit because they know that j&e staying in will continue to annoy simon and cheryl (as proven with cheryls comment after rikki left. she said she wanted them to stay in to annoy simon, and then changed her mind). simon/cheryl are not gonna be nasty to them as people because of the backlash they will face. ok, i can see why the twins would annoy people, but they strike me as genuinely lovely people, so to attack them as people won't go down well

until they say something positive about the performance itself, then they'll continue to bring in the votes as a way of annoying simon and cheryl. we'll know when simon really wants rid of them as they'll go on first and/or be given a boring song to sing

also: ok, chico couldn't hold a tune very well. but marginally better than the twins
  • Options
    misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you are taking a bit of an extreme view here - I wasn't suggesting by any means that anything I've mentioned here alone could lead to the demise of a popular act. Going first/Simon's comments/bad styling/bad song choice isn't everything, but it does all add up - especially in the first week, especially for acts like Rachel who haven't gotten much publicity before the show and are pretty forgettable anyway.

Not that I am a Rachel fan in any way - I don't honestly think there is much to choose between Rachel and Lucie they are both mediocre.

As for Simon's comments to J&E - I think he is preparing the way for their eventual exit - perhaps they are getting a little too popular and he is trying to stop the bandwagon before he ends up with another Leon type act winning.

i was in no way taking an "extreme view", if i'm presented with points i think i can disprove i will.
  • Options
    lovecat86lovecat86 Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    Hackjaw wrote: »
    Personality in X Factor terms is a horribly staged Essex accent or living in a little village in the valleys or Scotland or getting emotional about a dead relative - Rachel is a good singer but is lacking the contrived narrative that X Factor likes to give its contestants, who are never judged simply on their singing ability.

Negative. I like Stacey when she's SINGING ONLY. I do not like Lucie at all. Do any of them have contrived narrative? Or does having a life before X Factor and a reason for wanting to do well just constitute the sympathy vote this year because no one actually has a sob story? Coming from a small village and being a single mum are hardly going to empty my tissue box.
    Sad to say but Rachel is doing badly because she is not conventionally good looking (in the generic X factor hair extensions, big teeth and fake tan way) and doesnt have the phony accent, sob story, small village appeal or the whole cliched "going on a journey" nonsense.

BS. I think she IS pretty. I liked her before the live performances, I just don't think she is very good.
    It doesnt matter what she does, she will never win. Danni (in reality, Simon) has hitched her bandwagon to Lucie (whos got the sweet innocent girl from a small village in Wales who is good looking in an unthreatening plain way appeal) and Stacey (whos got the dippy and amusingly stupid with a silly accent yet sympathetic working class single mum appeal) - regardless of how well she does, Rachel can't compete with the "stories" of the other two - and unlike Rhianna, the look they have given Rachel makes her look quite fierce which isnt a vote-getter. Shame really, but thems the breaks.

Ugh. No. I hate Lucie's 'I come from a small village in Wales' routine. Does her no favours with me, AND if you had a look in any thread about her you'd see that pretty much everyone finds that irritating. How is that going to get her more votes? Seriously, how? Did she gruel away every day of her young life to rebuild that village after a natural disaster destroyed it all? Nah, thought not. No one gives a monkey's where she lives.

Stacey's personality annoys as many people as it endears. Being a single mum is so commonplace in society, it's hardly newsworthy. If she was a single dad...

I actually think Stacey's personality will prevent her from winning.
    She came across as a little madam.

Its half jokey but there is underlying anonoyance to it. "How dare I be in the bottom two!" There is a touch of the brat there.

OK, she's been in the bottom two two weeks running. But she hasnt had the abuse J&E have had from the media or the criticism and bad song choices of Lloyd.

She comes across as petulant at not getting her own way and is taking things too personally.

Yeah. To me it sounded very

"Wah, wah, wah, I was in the bottom two twice in a row. Wah, wah, wah, the British public have it in for me! Wah, wah, wah, I get to live in a house and be pampered and have stylists and choreograhers and voice coaches and celebrity mentors and appear on live TV :( Life is so unfair! Nobody votes for me so I have to sing twice... but wait, I love singing so that's a good thing, right? Hmmmm... yeah, on second thoughts, don't vote for me because I'll get to sing twice."

Fair point about J&E, and Lloyd too. They're younger than her as well. She needs to calm down.
    Indigo_19 wrote: »
    I agree, in my opinion this video has done her no favours.

Ditto that. Before I disliked her singing, now I think she is a highly annoying person. Definitely up there with Stacey and Lucie as far as irritaing me goes.
    Natgar wrote: »
    I don't agree, she is attractive and there is nothing wrong with her looks she, In my opinion, can't sing very well and what she does sing sounds boring and forgettable.

Yes! Why is it that if people don't like an act they are accused of using everything under the sun as a reason for this, when the simple fact is we just don't like their singing? Unless, of course, it's Rikki in question and then people genuinely did have superficial reasons for their dislike.
    but simon also told the twins he was growing to like them/had changed his mind about them, and they still picked up the votes - because they're entertaining.

lucie was first last week, and she wasn't in the bottom two - because she has a better voice than rachel.

rachel just has nothing interesting about her, and that's why she's not getting votes. i don't believe it's anything to do with her image or the way she's styled, and even less to do with the judges' comments.

Yes on all counts. As usual.
    Mr Blonde wrote: »
    After reading how much she wants it I've decided to vote for her...but John and Edward will be getting more of my votes...

Fair play.

She's lost any votes I may have given her in subsequent weeks. I really hate people telling me what to do, especially when it's a matter of opinion. The programme asserts that you watch the performances, you decide on your favourite/favourites and then you pick up the phone and vote for those acts. If the programme entailed watching the video diaries pre-show and having a pre-conceived notion of who I should be voting for based on who had begged me the most via the internet, she may have a shot of getting me to part with my hard-earned cash.
  • Options
    DDRickyDDDDRickyDD Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    LoveBug. wrote: »
    Jesus Christ, she may just have a heartattack on sunday night when she goes home*

* i think she's heading straight home on sunday.

Oh arn't you lovely.

No way is she going home on Sunday she will pick up votes because people know she's in danger.

I think Miss Frank will go home worst act in the competition, they shouldn't be in the final 12. If your not good enough as a soloist you should get another chance as a group.
  • Options
    superstar111superstar111 Posts: 18,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She was chosen by Danni to be the "fall guy" of her group - she knows that Village Lucie and Essex Stace are where her bread is buttered this year so by throwing Rachel to the hounds it keeps them away from her chosen ones for a few more weeks.

WTF?
    Last week she had a really good, contemporary song. It should have been her week but she just simply didn't sing it in tune! She gets good styling, she looks gorgeous. It's her voice!

And her personality, Alisha handled the bottom two with grace and understood that she was there and that's why she got a reprieve IMO along with good performances, whereas Rachel seems to think the world owes her.
  • Options
    misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DDRickyDD wrote: »
    Oh arn't you lovely.

No way is she going home on Sunday she will pick up votes because people know she's in danger.

I think Miss Frank will go home worst act in the competition, they shouldn't be in the final 12. If your not good enough as a soloist you should get another chance as a group.

i wouldn't speak too soon.

but if the sympathy votes do happen, what an awful way to stay in the competition - knowing you're only there because people feel sorry for you.
  • Options
    GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WTF?
    Last week she had a really good, contemporary song. It should have been her week but she just simply didn't sing it in tune! She gets good styling, she looks gorgeous. It's her voice!

And her personality, Alisha handled the bottom two with grace and understood that she was there and that's why she got a reprieve IMO along with good performances, whereas Rachel seems to think the world owes her.

Her mother really should have taken this advice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDAJxazhZvM

:D:D
  • Options
    galenagalena Posts: 7,277
    Forum Member
    i wouldn't speak too soon.

but if the sympathy votes do happen, what an awful way to stay in the competition - knowing you're only there because people feel sorry for you.

Well if the sympathy vote does keep her in - and I'm not sure it will - it will not keep her in for much longer. And I think it works better if you say you are doing in memory of a friend/family member or raising money for their operation -self pity is never that attractive ...
  • Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I`ve know idea what happened to rachel. she was so hyper last night, i was worried she`d was having a breakdown. it was definitely weird.