Options

Tap water versus bottled water

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nuartey1 wrote: »
    At the risk of sounding like a snob, I just can't bring myself to drink tap water, it's vile.

And I can actually TASTE it! lol You shouldn't be able to TASTE water! Even if you boil it before hand, it doesn't make a difference, as the heat kills anything that's good in the water.

I dare anyone to go from drinking fresh Evian everyday then switch to tap and you'll see what I mean.

Anyone else?

You sound pretty concerned about the TASTE to me. Not sure how they missed THAT.
  • Options
    cudzndripscudzndrips Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    I hardly ever drink bottled water it's just so artificial. It was also proved by scientists a few years ago that fresh tap water was better for you than bottled and tap water helps fight bacteria and other diseases because of the various microbes.
  • Options
    HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tap water can be shown to be healthier than bottled water. However if people want to waste money it is their choice.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It never ceases to amaze me the people who spend loads of money on bottled water and fail to realise that it is actually more expensive than petrol.
    In my work the only people who buy bottled water are the ones who are up from London!
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cost of tap water per bottle something like 0.00000001p
    Cost of bottled water per bottle around £1

There can be more bacteria in bottled water, and 25% of bottled water is just bottled filtered tap water taken from the water main in the factory!

Bottled water is the cause of many people being ill each year as bottles can contain high levels of bacteria.
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    Tap water will taste different in different parts of the country, due to the different minerals.

Maybe the OP's tap water has a high mineral content (hard water) that makes it slightly unpleasant for them to drink? No big deal if they want to buy bottled water instead.

The soft water from our taps tastes fine, so I would need to be a complete idiot to buy bottled water.

I doubt anyone could tell the difference between our tap water and bottled water in a blind taste test.
  • Options
    BagpipesBagpipes Posts: 5,443
    Forum Member
    fickrick wrote: »
    It never ceases to amaze me the people who spend loads of money on bottled water and fail to realise that it is actually more expensive than petrol.
    In my work the only people who buy bottled water are the ones who are up from London!

Tesco sparkling water is £1.40 for 8 litres. Anyway I'm sure people who spend money on bottled water can easily afford it, so whether or not some of it is more expensive than petrol doesn't matter to them.
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still, some people are happy drinking something that has been:

bottled abroad where 3 times as much water is wasted in the process of bottling (that's a fact by the way)
    where oil has been used in the manufacture of plastic bottles
    where it's only filtered tap water anyway in 1/4 of cases
    where it's had to go on a tanker, then a lorry, then a van across 1000s of miles, if you're lucky just 100s
    so you can pay your £1 to drink your bottled water
    then in a lot of cases the bottles will go into landfill and won't degrade for millions of years

No wonder the planet is f**ked if people think this is acceptable when there is a bloody tap in every house with a plentiful local supply.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member
    Yeah, I must admit that I think about how I have safe clean drinking water on tap in my own home, as opposed to going out and paying money for a bottle of the stuff that could just be tap water anway, who's to know? :D

I've never bought into it, my tap water is good enough for me.
  • Options
    BagpipesBagpipes Posts: 5,443
    Forum Member
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    Still, some people are happy drinking something that has been:

bottled abroad where 3 times as much water is wasted in the process of bottling (that's a fact by the way) Don't care
    where oil has been used in the manufacture of plastic bottles Don't care
    where it's only filtered tap water anyway in 1/4 of cases Don't care
    where it's had to go on a tanker, then a lorry, then a van across 1000s of miles, if you're lucky just 100s Don't care
    so you can pay your £1 to drink your bottled water
    then in a lot of cases the bottles will go into landfill and won't degrade for millions of years Don't care

My feelings on it.
  • Options
    PunkchickPunkchick Posts: 2,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Generally at home I drink tap water as our water tastes ok. However I prefer sparkling water with dinner so buy San Pellegrino for dinner. At work I always like to have water with me so I usually have a bottle of flavoured vitamin water and a bottle of Fiji Water.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TeaCosy wrote: »
    Have you read this thread? It's only a coupla pages. We've already covered filtration.
    Why the snarky response? Just trying to help.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If your tap water tastes fine, why not fill a bottle with it and take it to work?
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tap water is fine is most places for me. I'm certainly not going to pay the rip-off prices charged for bottled water. Our office is a converted barn in a village and we do filter that for boiling. It's okay drunk cold out of the tap but for some reason it develops a nasty taste when boiled.
  • Options
    trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tap water at home, bottled water everywhere else. If I remember, I will fill a couple of bottles from home to take to work.
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer tap water cos of the flouride.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    How does tap water even stay clean during its transit to your home from a water pump station think of all the leaks on the pipes along the way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    crazyjohn wrote: »
    How does tap water stay clean during its transit to your home from a water pump station think of all the leaks on the pipes on its way.

Leaks from a pressurised vessel are likely to go out rather than in, surely?
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    I prefer tap water cos of the flouride.

Can of worms... opened :D
  • Options
    kizziekizzie Posts: 5,756
    Forum Member
    abarthman wrote: »
    Tap water will taste different in different parts of the country, due to the different minerals.

Maybe the OP's tap water has a high mineral content (hard water) that makes it slightly unpleasant for them to drink? No big deal if they want to buy bottled water instead.

The soft water from our taps tastes fine, so I would need to be a complete idiot to buy bottled water.

I doubt anyone could tell the difference between our tap water and bottled water in a blind taste test.

Its all about preference also what you are used to, isn't it,. I personally much prefer the taste of hard water to soft.
  • Options
    HeartacheHeartache Posts: 4,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tap water + filter jug = happy bunnies :)

Yes me too, l can taste the difference without filtering it, lots of flouride smell and taste. Filtering does work.
  • Options
    alboyalboy Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    Our local water company was at a local fair recently on a 'Taste the Difference" stall. They had bottled English, bottled French and local Tap water. I (amongst others) picked the Tap water one instantly as it is quite harsh. I was a boiling hot day (don't laugh) so I was glad of a drink!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heartache wrote: »
    Yes me too, l can taste the difference without filtering it, lots of flouride smell and taste. Filtering does work.

Wouldn't that be chlorine (swimming pool kind of smell) rather than fluoride?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't drink tap water. I drink boiled water because I need hot water to make my cup of coffee – my first drink in a day. I used to bring my own water bottle for hiking, but when I am still short of water, buy bottled water then.
  • Options
    .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    Empirical wrote: »
    Pen & Teller spring to mind.

For reals.

Water is supposed to taste FYI. Bottled water is a total waste of money that is actually worse for you than tap water. I can only understans botrtled water if you're travelling or in a place with bad drinking water. A filter will cure that though.