Options

Does tying your jumper/jacket around your waist

Comments

• Options
    PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duckylucky wrote: »
    Its wonderful to reach a certain age and not give a damn what anyone thinks if you do whst makes you comfortable

I don't give a damn what anyone thinks but I do take pride in my appearance and I like to look good for myself, and from looking around when I'm outside it would appear that (luckily) the desire to look good is not something that necessarily diminishes with age.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elyan wrote: »
    Fold it and carry it over one arm.
    but then you cant do anything with that arm
  • Options
    PitmanPitman Posts: 28,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't need to as I am best mates with Dicky Bird, me and my pals just tie our jumpers around his neck :cool:
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    but then you cant do anything with that arm

I tie the sleeves of a not-needed jumper round my shoulder bag. It's out of the way and won't drop off.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DianaFire wrote: »
    I tie the sleeves of a not-needed jumper round my shoulder bag. It's out of the way and won't drop off.
    fair enough
  • Options
    Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Fashion!? I thought it was just being practical you get hot and don't have a bag to put it in.

Indeed. The last thing on my mind when I'm out with the dog is fashion. The wellies probably give that away...
  • Options
    CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah..I didn't start the thread to ask if it was in fashion or not. I don't keep up with fashion trends.

It is practical (unless I have a bag, then I tie it around that) so that is why I keep doing it.

the 90s thing was tongue in cheek
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sling it over a shoulder.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    OK. According to that infallible research data - my impression - in the 70s and 80s and apparently the 90s it was just what you did to carry a discarded layer if you were out walking and got too warm - particularly hill or mountain walking, where you might need your hands to clamber. It's completely balanced, behind you so doesn't flap about and get in your way, and secure. It's also to hand if you suddenly get chilly again.

However, a few years ago - very belatedly I am sure - I remember noticing that it wasn't really done anymore, presumably on aesthetic grounds because it isn't the best look, bulking up bits of you that you would rather looked slimmer (unlike the completely impractical around the shoulders thing). People, including me, would stuff the thing into a bag instead. But this spring when I was walking in Wales I found myself thinking what the hell, and it was strangely liberating and sort-of nostalgic to just tie it round my waist. Maybe I took part in a fashion moment without knowing.
  • Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I find myself in this situation, I usually take it off and fold it over my bag.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suspect that some of the people in this thread don't walk much. You might carry a sweater if you were walking 50 yards, but surely not if you were walking several miles. If you did, I would think you were ridiculously vain. Since I warm up quickly when walking, I am likely to spend the last 4 miles of a 5 mile walk with a sweater tied round my waist. If anyone wants to get their entertainment by looking at me and thinking - "dear, dear, how disgusting, there's a woman with her sweater tied round her waist", they are more than welcome.
  • Options
    PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect that some of the people in this thread don't walk much. You might carry a sweater if you were walking 50 yards, but surely not if you were walking several miles. If you did, I would think you were ridiculously vain. Since I warm up quickly when walking, I am likely to spend the last 4 miles of a 5 mile walk with a sweater tied round my waist. If anyone wants to get their entertainment by looking at me and thinking - "dear, dear, how disgusting, there's a woman with her sweater tied round her waist", they are more than welcome.

If I'm going out for a walk I don't wear a jumper or jacket when I leave the house. I tend not to feel the cold though, so much so that I very hardly even wear a coat in Winter.

On occasions when I do have a jumper or jacket on that needs to be taken off I just put it in my bag the very rare times that I end up tying it around my waist are the very rare times that I don't have a bag with me.

As much as I don't like having a jumper/jacket round my waist, I'm highly unlikely to notice if anyone else has theirs tied round them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    I can't imagine this being an issue anywhere other than on DS :D
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect that some of the people in this thread don't walk much. You might carry a sweater if you were walking 50 yards, but surely not if you were walking several miles. If you did, I would think you were ridiculously vain. Since I warm up quickly when walking, I am likely to spend the last 4 miles of a 5 mile walk with a sweater tied round my waist.
    Yup, me too. This time of year is particularly problematic. I can set out wanting a coat but within ten minutes I want to be down to my T-shirt. It's amazing how much you can warm up when you're walking at 4mph.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    I used to do this, I have wondered why/when I stopped doing this. I found it so convenient.
  • Options
    Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Andrue wrote: »
    Yup, me too. This time of year is particularly problematic. I can set out wanting a coat but within ten minutes I want to be down to my T-shirt. It's amazing how much you can warm up when you're walking at 4mph.

It's a pain! It's chilly when you first leave but before long you're roasting. I don't want to be carrying about a jacket/hoodie etc when I'm walking the dog for miles so round the waist it goes.
  • Options
    xorosetylerxoxorosetylerxo Posts: 6,674
    Forum Member
    I do it all the time as it's cold when I leave but then it warms up. I look like a right idiot when i put it over my arm so I just tie it round the waist
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    It reminds me of being young and at school so yeah late nineties for me :p
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    Is there anyone alive who still thinks that's a good look?! :o
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-SDUAIf7XU_Q/UG3899Bw9cI/AAAAAAAAAbs/pxxQbxor8nU/s1600/carlton-banks.jpg

If it's good enough for Carlton, it's good enough for me :D;)

*does the Carlton dance* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ims5H7-J9_4
  • Options
    gamzattiwoogamzattiwoo Posts: 3,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's funny to find this thread as I was walking the dog on Sunday and tied my jumper around my waist.Then I thought,do people still do this as I hadn't for some time.

However it was convenient so I left it then saw someone else do the same thing.So perhaps it's a fashion that's coming back.
  • Options
    An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    Well exactly. I can't believe some threads. You are walking somewhere, you get hot, so you either tie your jumper round your waist or have the aggravation of carrying it for the duration. Who on earth dithers about wondering if jumpers-round-the-waist are in or out this year?

Seventeen posts and at last a breath of sanity. :D Although I take Muggins point about stretching the sleeves so I personally go might for the Hooray Henry option depending on the garment in question.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    what else would you do with it?
  • Options
    acid rainacid rain Posts: 6,997
    Forum Member
    Yep, I think it looks good.

I've been doing it for twenty years so why would I stop now?

People who think it looks bad are shallow, vain idiots, I've no time for their ignorant judgements.

I can't stand people who follow fashion anyway. If you have a nice face then it doesn't matter what you wear. Some people will never be attractive no matter how much they spend on garments, lol.
  • Options
    howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do it for practical reasons, nothing to do with fashion for me. I consider it a sign of maturity when you don't hold yourself a slave to fitting in. I also live near the sea so I can walk out the door to a warm sunny day only to be greeted by a brisk wind some 20 minutes later, so taking an extra layer is just common sense, and tying it around my waist means less to carry.

It's unbelievable that folk on here can't understand plain common sense and want to make mountains out of sugar lumps.
    Up here we have four seasons in an hour in October and we have to be prepared for everything. And a pully wrapped round the waist stops my skirt billowing in the wind and showing everyone my arse. So there.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The first time we went to America when our son was young, an American asked him if he was English , when he said yes , she said she knew he was because he had his jumper tied round his waist and she had only seen English people do that.