Options

Disabled vs Parent & Child Parking

Comments

• Options
    Steve™Steve™ Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    I wonder if anyone can answer a query that I genuinely can't understand:

Why do Parent & Child/Toddler parking spaces need to be close to the shops' entrances? Our local Sainsbury's has them closer to the entrance than the Disabled bays. :confused:

Simple. Because there are children involved
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Theres nothing to stop them, but it shows a lack of manners
    There we go, got there in the end.
    Using disabled spaces when not disabled = lack of manners
    Using parent & child spaces when childless = lack of manners

You can dress it up however you want, but ultimately, parking in a space not specifically designed for your use is just selfish.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly! They freely chose to get pregnant. Just why should that be put above anything?
    Don't like it? Don't get pregnant then! Your choice!

It's very insulting to disabled people having these bandwagon freeloaders considering themselves deserving of the same rights as someone who didn't choose their condition.

TIL if you want a relatively hassle free food shop at Tesco, abort every baby you conceive so that you don't have to upset the childless by utilising parent and child parking. It's all about consideration guys!
  • Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Edit: Just cant be bothered
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly! They freely chose to get pregnant. Just why should that be put above anything?

It's very insulting to disabled people having these bandwagon freeloaders considering themselves deserving of the same rights as someone who didn't choose their condition.

Does anyone else have this image of Jesse smashing at his keyboard with his big, cumbersome fists as he posts another moronic rant, spittle flying out of his rage-contorted mouth??

No,....just me then :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Raquelos. wrote: »
    Edit: Just cant be bothered

I imagine it was along the lines of you trying to justify your selfishness so probably best you didn't bother after all.
  • Options
    missy83missy83 Posts: 14,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see that despite numerous attempts at making out there is something wrong with me, not one parent enabler has posted why they should have rights above everyone else on the grounds of their self-inflicted condition.

Smug parents with a misplace right to things just because they dropped one out.

FFS

I'll put this in simple terms.

The supermarket owns the car park.

The supermarket puts in the Parent and Child spaces.

If you don't like it, take it up with the supermarket.
  • Options
    missy83missy83 Posts: 14,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Who are you to speak for everyone with a disability?

I haven't exactly seen hoards of disabled people complaining about Parent and Child spaces so presumably they don't have a big issue with it.

And fyi disabled people can be parents and grandparents too.
  • Options
    CMCM Posts: 33,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These bays should only be on certain days maybe 5 days a week and maybe 9 to 12 then 2 to 9 again giving those of us who keep everyone else by actually working a 3 hour span to do our shopping and 2 days as well :cool:

Most of the time these bays are half empty what's the point of that ? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I imagine it was along the lines of you trying to justify your selfishness so probably best you didn't bother after all.

Your imagination seems as impressive as your logic.

I was going to express surprise that you seemed to be arguing that there was an equivalence between being disabled and having a child, that as a parent it was reasonable to expect the same consideration as someone who was unable to walk. Then I realised that such a massive sense of entitlement didn't surprise me at all so I didn't bother.
  • Options
    yourpointbeing?yourpointbeing? Posts: 3,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CM wrote: »
    These bays should only be on certain days maybe 5 days a week and maybe 9 to 12 then 2 to 9 again giving those of us who keep everyone else by actually working a 3 hour span to do our shopping and 2 days as well :cool:

Most of the time these bays are half empty what's the point of that ? :confused:

You could extend those rules to pensioners, clogging up shops at a weekend, how selfish can they be :D
  • Options
    DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone else have this image of Jesse smashing at his keyboard with his big, cumbersome fists as he posts another moronic rant, spittle flying out of his rage-contorted mouth??

No,....just me then :D

He's overdoing it a bit now. Sometimes a slightly more subtle, nuanced approach works better.
    Going to have to give him a 5 out of 10 now, after a very promising start.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I am amazed at how many people are angry about parent & child parking spaces.

I don't have children, and I don't have a problem with parent & child spaces. It would be easier for people with small children to unload them nearer the shop. Surely it is just the decent thing to do?

I don't understand the 'outrage' about this one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could extend those rules to pensioners, clogging up shops at a weekend, how selfish can they be :D

Well that's right they should stay at home Sunday at least and Saturday until after 2pm. :cool:
  • Options
    DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But you can do your shopping, surely? The proximity of P/C parking spaces to the store wouldn't actually prevent anyone from being able to shop. At worst, assuming they were all occupied (which could happen with non designated spaces anyway), you'd just have to walk a little further.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am amazed at how many people are angry about parent & child parking spaces.

I don't have children, and I don't have a problem with parent & child spaces. It would be easier for people with small children to unload them nearer the shop. Surely it is just the decent thing to do?

I don't understand the 'outrage' about this one.

There is no outrage but it's amazing how they want spaces close to supermarket entrance but then end up all the way up up Town in McDonalds and BK and such places :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DaisyBill wrote: »
    But you can do your shopping, surely? The proximity of P/C parking spaces to the store wouldn't actually prevent anyone from being able to shop. At worst, assuming they were all occupied (which could happen with non designated spaces anyway), you'd just have to walk a little further.

Indeed, with the exception of the disabled spaces it is all just a matter of convenience, for all parties!

Still this is DS, so it's good for 16 pages every 3 weeks apparently:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DaisyBill wrote: »

Which is what we do,

No one is actually answering why the disabled and those with kids seem to want to park close to supermarket entrance but amazingly they seem to get right up to top of Town in all the fast food restaurants and coffee houses. :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Deleted, Weird DS edit misfire Sorry
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see that despite numerous attempts at making out there is something wrong with me, not one parent enabler has posted why they should have rights above everyone else on the grounds of their self-inflicted condition.

Smug parents with a misplace right to things just because they dropped one out.

It's possibly because no ones taking you that seriously due to the comical phrases you're using to describe parents. But I'll humour you.

Yo bitch, here's a multiple choice question for you.

Why do you think Parent and Child spaces first came into existence?

A) Because there was a big movement among parents demanding them. They were marching around the streets carrying placards, stuff like that. The supermarkets tried to resist but cracked under the strain and had to give in.

B) Because the supermarkets thought it would be good for their business to extend a bit of courtesy to a certain group who's custom they value.

Think carefully before you answer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Raquelos. wrote: »
    Your imagination seems as impressive as your logic.

I was going to express surprise that you seemed to be arguing that there was an equivalence between being disabled and having a child, that as a parent it was reasonable to expect the same consideration as someone who was unable to walk. Then I realised that such a massive sense of entitlement didn't surprise me at all so I didn't bother.

1) I'm not finding an equivalence between being disabled and having a child. I'm responding to posts from HonestWeegie who stated that disabled shoppers needed disabled bays, parents with children didn't. The equivalence is in their need for the spaces.
    2) If someone is unable to walk, if they're 10m away from the entrance or on the other side of the car park, it's rather irrelevant as they're either not going to be able to enter the store due to the fact that they can't walk, or they're going to make their way there in a wheelchair, neither of which necessitate the *need* for a special disabled parking space. However, it's very nice to have one provided as it makes parking, getting out of the car and getting to the store that much easier, especially considering the likelihood of their disability being down to them is very slim, so why make things more difficult.

Ultimately, if I were to park in a disabled bay I'd be considered selfish (by some, possibly most people).
    If you were to park in a P&C space, you'd be considered selfish too (by some, but not as many people).
    If you were to park across two bays, you'd be considered selfish, (by most, but not all people).

Different degrees and categories of selfishness. You see what you do as acceptable, I see it as selfish. Hey ho, life goes on, people will keep parking, people will continue to be disabled, mothers will still churn out offspring and demand they have preferential parking (!), and you and I will still not agree on this topic.

But next time you're at the supermarket and there's an empty P&C space and also empty normal spaces, for me, just park in the normal one. You only need to do this once and the world will be a happier place :)
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely the reason p & c spaces are usually - but not always - near the entrance is because that's usually - but not always - where the trolleys are, and it makes sense for the supermarket to make it as easy as possible to get small children from car to trolley as quickly, easy and safely as possible? Hell, if I owned a supermarket and it was feasible, I'd put the p & c spaces in the supermarket.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is no outrage but it's amazing how they want spaces close to supermarket entrance but then end up all the way up up Town in McDonalds and BK and such places :D
    Which is what we do,

No one is actually answering why the disabled and those with kids seem to want to park close to supermarket entrance but amazingly they seem to get right up to top of Town in all the fast food restaurants and coffee houses. :cool:
    Wow, you asked the same question twice in six minutes. This obviously really bothers you. You use the word 'want' (twice) which implies you think that the disabled and parents asked for or even demanded 'priority' parking. Is that really what you think happened? Doesn't it make more sense to assume that the supermarkets thought 'What small courtesies can we offer our customers to make it as easy as reasonably possible to shop here and therefore ensure they keep coming back and spending money?' ? The reason no-one's answering your question is because you're asking the wrong question to the wrong people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    Wow, you asked the same question twice in six minutes. This obviously really bothers you. You use the word 'want' (twice) which implies you think that the disabled and parents asked for or even demanded 'priority' parking. Is that really what you think happened? Doesn't it make more sense to assume that the supermarkets thought 'What small courtesies can we offer our customers to make it as easy as reasonably possible to shop here and therefore ensure they keep coming back and spending money?' ? The reason no-one's answering your question is because you're asking the wrong question to the wrong people.

No it's because they know what I say is true, :cool:

I'll park at back of Tesco's again in morning walk up to McDonalds to find mums and toddlers will have managed the walk also. :cool:

Maybe McDonalds and Costa Coffee could have a few parking spaces just for them to save them the walk. :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    1) snip/
    But next time you're at the supermarket and there's an empty P&C space and also empty normal spaces, for me, just park in the normal one. You only need to do this once and the world will be a happier place :)

Lol it makes me chuckle that you seem to have this image of me driving round car parks looking for a c&p space to park in to make some kind of point :D I simply don't think that using them on occasion when I need to makes me a bad or selfish person. That said TrollHunter, for you, I will consider making the effort next time I shop :)