Options

Doc Martin (Part 16 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    Not that there's anything wrong with that.

No! They are obviously great Seinfeld fans, but most of his humour is highlighting everyday events so I am not sure the DM writers are copying Seinfeld or just writing about everyday events.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, I don't know, to me in most glimpses in the trailers, he just looks like the Doc. He isn't grinning in any of the shots, but he isn't necessarily scowling either. Well, he may be in one. And in one he looks quite content. In some of the others he looks nervous and in another sad. In a couple others he seems to simply be concentrating or thinking. They gave us most of his expressions here and there throughout the trailers. He rarely smiles in the episodes so it's a big deal when it happens. If we get a smile or two in S6 I wouldn't expect them to put it in a trailer. It'll be a surprise we won't see until we watch the episode.

That's my take on it, anyway. I think it's going to be a thrilling and fun series. I've seen several things in the trailers that I like. I like the fact that we see a great deal of DM and LG and JH together, including several DM/JH scenes. I like the fact that he looks more or less terrified before the wedding. I like the fact that there are night-time scenes. I like seeing the Doc muddy and dirty. I like seeing that Louisa is able to drag him to some public events that he probably detests, but he goes anyway.

I really like the scene with DM & Louisa in which he does something (can't tell what) with a flourish while Louisa looks on fondly and afterwards the two gaze at each other.

I am going to take your positive attitude and run with it!
    Thank you.
    I do like the scene with AL, AR and JH at the table, when they all (including JH) look around at some commotion. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not a doctor (and I don't play one on TV either), but it does sound strange to remove one organ because another is infected.

I have heard of this being done because surgery is dangerous and the idea is, I think, that they do it to save another operation should the appendix ever get infected. Still don't understand if the gall bladder could just be treated with antibiotics why was any surgery considered?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    No! They are obviously great Seinfeld fans, but most of his humour is highlighting everyday events so I am not sure the DM writers are copying Seinfeld or just writing about everyday events.

I meant that particular line, "Not that there's anything wrong with that", was the entire theme of a Seinfeld episode about homosexuality. Doc used the same line when addressing Uncle Jimmy's bisexuality in S4.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    NewPark wrote: »
    Wasn't Poldark also filmed in Port Isaac? Very interesting, Patricia.

Yes, Poldark used many of the same outdoor background. I have not seen the entire series in years. (It is available on Acorn). I believe Nampara (Poldark's home) is the farm with the barn used for filming interior scenes for DM.
  • Options
    Eileen0103Eileen0103 Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    I have heard of this being done because surgery is dangerous and the idea is, I think, that they do it to save another operation should the appendix ever get infected. Still don't understand if the gall bladder could just be treated with antibiotics why was any surgery considered?

I know someone who had major cancer surgery and they removed his gall bladder as well. I never heard of an infected gall bladder before. We need our doctors for clarification. It is listed when you google it. I had that surgery and was very young, they calmed it down and then removed it. No options were ever discussed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Very interesting. Thanks for that. AcornTV is currently showing Poldark (but just through August, I think). I should watch it and watch for this kind of thing.

In Poldark, the Cornish accents of the locals are very strong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Friday May 10th 2013

Exciting news: New Poldark series. The BBC has announced that it is commissioning Mammoth Films to do a full scale remake of the Poldark novels to be shown on BBC1 starting in the autumn of 2015.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The podcast ladies see Seinfeld reproduced in just about every DM episode. Not sure if it is meant to be or if it s accidental.
    Not that there's anything wrong with that.

:D:D:D
  • Options
    whalewhale Posts: 616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    now we know how he lost all that weight, any comments from our medical people....

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/martin-clunes-plays-doc-martin-2168255
  • Options
    MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am going to take your positive attitude and run with it!
    Thank you.
    I do like the scene with AL, AR and JH at the table, when they all (including JH) look around at some commotion. :)
    Eileen0103 wrote: »
    I know someone who had major cancer surgery and they removed his gall bladder as well. I never heard of an infected gall bladder before. We need our doctors for clarification. It is listed when you google it. I had that surgery and was very young, they calmed it down and then removed it. No options were ever discussed.

I would figure that she was getting a laparoscopic gall bladder removal. They could have taken the appendix too just because she was anaesthetized and they were poking around in the peritoneal cavity and they could eliminate problems with that in the future. I bet she had the surgery.

I'm not a surgeon but the appendix and gall bladder are pretty far away from each other. I bet to get to the appendix they would have to give her another poke and scar down below. When they do laparoscopic surgery they pump you up with CO2 so you are full of gas so everything is easy to see and you have room to pick things up and muck about.

It doesn't have to be done but doing both kills 2 birds with one stone so to speak.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yes, I'm not a surgeon but I am a physician in case you wonder . I practiced Pediatrics for many years.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, link didn't work.
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whale wrote: »
    now we know how he lost all that weight, any comments from our medical people....

Rather disturbing info about the new series. Cc.cookie: don't read!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whale wrote: »

Well, I guess that explains Philippa's overly thin appearance and absence from the set. She is the ideal candidate for cholelithiasis. Forty, female, fertile but not fat. That's number 4 of the 4 F's. I 'm glad it's nothing worse. Hopefully she will start feeling better. I think this article is some distortion of the truth. What a surprise! (I'm being sarcastic)

Re: Martin. Yes he lost 14 lb when he was sick and looked a bit haggard but I think he put effort in an lost 50 or so with diet and hard work. A stone, 14 lbs. on a man his size is a spit in the bucket.
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mofromco wrote: »
    I would figure that she was getting a laparoscopic gall bladder removal. They could have taken the appendix too just because she was anaesthetized and they were poking around in the peritoneal cavity and they could eliminate problems with that in the future. I bet she had the surgery.

I'm not a surgeon but the appendix and gall bladder are pretty far away from each other. I bet to get to the appendix they would have to give her another poke and scar down below. When they do laparoscopic surgery they pump you up with CO2 so you are full of gas so everything is easy to see and you have room to pick things up and muck about.

It doesn't have to be done but doing both kills 2 birds with one stone so to speak.

Can you have an infected gall bladder and have it taken care of with antibiotics? Why would they be talking about taking out the appendix if they weren't already planning to take out the gall bladder? There's lots about this story that I don't understand, but unlike most who have commented on FB, I"m afraid I can't say, good for him. Actually, it rather sets my teeth on edge. Not least of it is the casual assumption that American medical shows just make stuff up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you have an infected gall bladder and have it taken care of with antibiotics? Why would they be talking about taking out the appendix if they weren't already planning to take out the gall bladder? There's lots about this story that I don't understand, but unlike most who have commented on FB, I"m afraid I can't say, good for him. Actually, it rather sets my teeth on edge. Not least of it is the casual assumption that American medical shows just make stuff up.

I'm with you New Park. It doesn't add up. You get an infected gall bladder because you have gall stones that block the bile duct. If you just use antibiotics the stones are still there and everything will just get infected again. So I think she had a cholecystectomy and they just opted not to take the appendix out. One less tiny scar and just a little less fuss. Something about the whole thing just makes the doctors look like buffoons. I don't watch much TV so I'm not sure if American shows stick to reality or not but it is an odd comment.

Any of you House or ER fans? What do you think
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I meant that particular line, "Not that there's anything wrong with that", was the entire theme of a Seinfeld episode about homosexuality. Doc used the same line when addressing Uncle Jimmy's bisexuality in S4.

Oh right! Sorry I am a bit slow. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rather disturbing info about the new series. Cc.cookie: don't read!

Too late! I am going into a decline which could lead to severe depression which can't be cured by a doctor apparently (not this season anyway!) :cry::cry::cry:
  • Options
    mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not a doctor (and I don't play one on TV either), but it does sound strange to remove one organ because another is infected.

Well, I'm not sure what was going on medically in that regard. It is within the differential diagnosis of appendicitis to include cholecystitis (gallbladder inflammation), but if you know it's the one it is mystifying to deliberately treat the other, by mistake! One wonders if he did not quite understand the situation as he is not, really, a physician. Nonetheless, it's good that BP recovered without serious mishap.

I have to say, I find it a little bit irritating that MC seems to have a similar disdain for American things as does DM. He's mentioned that he can't spend much time in America as our country starts to annoy him. To state that we just make things up medically all the time in American TV medical shows, while of course DM doesn't, is a little bit off-putting to me. (And, really--how many people really take so much Vitamin D they weaken their bones and cause fractures? That's not even listed as a potential consequence in actual hypervitaminosis D; but, I digress) This isn't the charming MC we tend to think he always is, but he comes off a bit patronizing and almost haughty in the article.

On the other hand, being my own devil's advocate and wanting to think good of MC, we all know how reporters type things up, tone and attitude can be greatly misunderstood. But, it's not really my favorite article on him!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I thought I was advocating in my previous post for some degree of happiness and affection in the new series. Maybe that was too high a bar: now I'm just hoping we don't lose the comedy!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    Well, I'm leaving tomorrow for England!! I'm so excited I can barely sit still!! :D:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    Well, I'm not sure what was going on medically in that regard. It is within the differential diagnosis of appendicitis to include cholecystitis (gallbladder inflammation), but if you know it's the one it is mystifying to deliberately treat the other, by mistake! One wonders if he did not quite understand the situation as he is not, really, a physician. Nonetheless, it's good that BP recovered without serious mishap.

I have to say, I find it a little bit irritating that MC seems to have a similar disdain for American things as does DM. He's mentioned that he can't spend much time in America as our country starts to annoy him. To state that we just make things up medically all the time in American TV medical shows, while of course DM doesn't, is a little bit off-putting to me. (And, really--how many people really take so much Vitamin D they weaken their bones and cause fractures? That's not even listed as a potential consequence in actual hypervitaminosis D; but, I digress) This isn't the charming MC we tend to think he always is, but he comes off a bit patronizing and almost haughty in the article.

On the other hand, being my own devil's advocate and wanting to think good of MC, we all know how reporters type things up, tone and attitude can be greatly misunderstood. But, it's not really my favorite article on him!

You're right Mona...I think that removal of the appendix is just eliminating a troublesome, unnecessary organ so she never has to undergo another surgery and dangerous painful ordeal...you know, oh, by the way when we're in there we can eliminate that in the future. It's kind of like having a c-section for your 19th child. Oh, by the way, would you like to come back later to get your tubes tied or should we do it while we're in there? Not quite the same though

And Mona, you're right. That hypervitaminosis D was a bit of a stretch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I'm leaving tomorrow for England!! I'm so excited I can barely sit still!! :D:D:D:D:D

Keep writing..take tons of pictures/video...and tell us all about it. Blow by blow! I am so excited for you!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »

There are a few articles where MC comes across as a bit of a prat and less than perfect. I wonder if he's not the one with delusions of grandeur as he only acts the part of a doctor?

I had an op to remove a large tumour in my abdomen (keyhole surgery) and they asked if I wanted my appendix removed as it might save a future operation. I agreed but they would have had to take it anyway as it was riddled with endometriosis. I don't think lay people should dictate to the medical profession. If they aren't sure maybe they should get a second opinion?

Doesn't DM get annoyed at people who second guess his diagnosis? Why didn't MC learn that from him? :rolleyes:

Generalising about US medical shows and US shows in general is stupid but I've stupidly done it. I think MC often shoots off at the mouth without thinking and PB later tells him to apologise or tone it down eg: his first wife, the Churchill sage, the run in with the police etc.

Sacreligious as it might be, on a DM forum, MC is just a guy, just an actor, he's not perfect or brilliant.
This discussion has been closed.