Good games spoiled by annoying or impossible bosses

2»

Comments

• Options
    ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The final boss of Metal Gear Rising.

This was a pretty average game rather than a great one overall, but I agree.

I stuck with it right until the end and gave up on this boss.

I understand difficulty curves, but the problem with this boss was that the game couldn't decide whether it was a genuine fight or an interactive cutscene. At the beginning of the fight you get the shit kicked out of you and lose a lot of health but you're rewarded with cutscenes that back this up, so it's meant to happen. But the game never tells you when you're into proper boss fight mode. So by the time I figured out when that had happened, I'd already used all my medipacks and it was an exercise in pointlessness. Was never going to defeat the boss then.

This was on Easy mode and I consider myself pretty good at hack n' slash, having completed all God of War games on the highest difficulty level. That actually ties in nicely to this thread topic - Ares in the original God of War was a nightmare to face.
  • Options
    PyramidbreadPyramidbread Posts: 10,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The only true awnswer :D
  • Options
    trayhop123trayhop123 Posts: 886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i simply cant see how to pass a certain mission on the hulk for ps3 ,,,,,,

you have to protect a building from collapsing , by hitting the guys around it with machine guns and rocket launchers , then jump on top of the building to despatch more guys , then back down , rinse and repeat etc,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

ive tried everything , just concentrating on the guys with the launchers first etc ,,,,,,,,,, but the building always collapses .

help
  • Options
    pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The last boss in DMC was pretty annoying, and also (and i cant remember his name) the main boss in Skyward sword (who looked like the singer Robyn)
  • Options
    geemonkeegeemonkee Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The especially frustrating thing in these games is the huge step-up in difficulty relevant to rest of the game.

You're going along quite nicely, getting there, then whamo...and it's like wtf...
  • Options
    Diceroll_81Diceroll_81 Posts: 904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wizpig on Diddy Kong Racing (the second time you race him)

I still have nightmares about clipping my plane's wings on the side of the wall just before the finish line and having him over take me >:(>:(>:(
  • Options
    WillbertWillbert Posts: 1,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The last boss in DMC was pretty annoying, and also (and i cant remember his name) the main boss in Skyward sword (who looked like the singer Robyn)

I quit DMC at that battle and watched the end of the game on Youtube.
  • Options
    LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not quite a boss but there is a level in Mafia that they had to patch because it was basically impossible. It was a racing level but the other cars were basically too fast. It was stupid.
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TommyNooka wrote: »
    The Heavenly Sword final boss is one of the few times I've given up on a game, infuriating!

I remember that driving me mad back in the day. I reached the boss about 10pm and thought "I'll have the game finished before I go to bed." 12.30 came around and I had to give up because of work the next day. Drove me insane.

The following day I discovered you could block the boss's firebolts with the sword and bounce them back at him. After I worked that out he went from infuriatingly impossible to dead within a few minutes. Madness!
  • Options
    hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dandem wrote: »
    Resident Evil 5.

The fight in the volcano was just...baffling.

is that the last bit? i remember i had to leave the very last mission because i just didn't have enough ammo to complete it. game wasn't very good anyway though.
  • Options
    Yoshi FanYoshi Fan Posts: 13,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Right now, it's Deathstroke on Arkham Origins. Don't even come CLOSE to finishing him off.:o

I'd also add Canary Mary in the Cloud Cuckooland level of Banjo Tooie. She's not a boss, nor neccessary for finishing the main story, but good GRIEF that bitch is impossible to race against!>:(
  • Options
    MsLurkerMsLurker Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I could only win that game on easy mode and even then the final boss was a pain :(
    Matt D wrote: »
    Gears of War 1, General Raam.

Raam was horrible until I realised all I had to do was blind fire at him and keep jumping over the barrier. :D

Not actually a boss fight but No Fighting in the War Room near the end of CoD4 on veteran took me ages.
  • Options
    Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    Dandem wrote: »
    Resident Evil 5.

The fight in the volcano was just...baffling.

That did feel really out of place. If the volcano had featured in the background at any point, you could wave it away.

I found the last few fights towards the end of the first Assassins Creed difficult. Another game that prodded you to go stealthy then forced you to go Rambo at the end.

Dragon Age: Origins seemed to have difficulty spikes galore and not necessary with bosses.
  • Options
    mojobrewmojobrew Posts: 1,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guacamelee is pissing me off at the moment with the boss fight.

Classic example of the general gameplay being pretty easy then the bosses being way, way harder. The final boss guy I haven't beaten yet, I can barely get past the first section, yet the rest of the game I breezed through.

Really spoiling a game I thoroughly enjoyed up to now.
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm also going to say Mz Ruby in Sly Cooper: Thievius Raccoonus

The whole rhythm thing just didn't work at all. I felt it was somewhat unfair too, I failed a couple of times when I was convinced that I had pressed the button in time.
  • Options
    IzakIzak Posts: 3,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any game boss that requires you to do little more than constantly shoot at it for half an hour is really boring, that was usually the case in Borderlands. I think bosses are better when a bit of puzzle work is required, a bit like in Zelda games.
  • Options
    JordanDSJordanDS Posts: 1,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rubrical wrote: »
    Dead Space 2 - horrendous last chapter leading up to one of the most frustrating bosses I've ever encountered!

This. Got so frustrated that after about 4 hours failed attempts to beat it, I ripped the disc from my PS3 and smashed it. Was only worth a bronze trophy too. >:(
  • Options
    JordanDSJordanDS Posts: 1,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yeah, any of the Psychopath battles in Dead Rising 2. They're ALL rubbish and tend to start without any warning, so you don't have the opportunity to save your game. One even starts when you go to a restroom, which is exactly where you would go to save your game, which is just demented.
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JordanDS wrote: »
    Oh yeah, any of the Psychopath battles in Dead Rising 2. They're ALL rubbish and tend to start without any warning, so you don't have the opportunity to save your game. One even starts when you go to a restroom, which is exactly where you would go to save your game, which is just demented.

That, and the majority of them were absolutely rock solid. There wasn't much of a tactic to defeating most of them, other than possibly the mascot with the flamethrower, and the 'groom' with the chainsaw.
  • Options
    kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The devil at the end of Dantes Inferno, I had to lower the difficulty to the lowest to beat him.
  • Options
    Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Izak wrote: »
    Any game boss that requires you to do little more than constantly shoot at it for half an hour is really boring, that was usually the case in Borderlands. I think bosses are better when a bit of puzzle work is required, a bit like in Zelda games.
    Are you on about any boss's in particular ?. I think the mini bosses on that game were pretty pointless. But I enjoyed the rakk hive (not too challenging ) and I also enjoyed beating Sledge (to me he was very tough but tat added to the satisfaction when you beat him )
  • Options
    SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kendoguk wrote: »
    The devil at the end of Dantes Inferno, I had to lower the difficulty to the lowest to beat him.

I never got past the giant topless woman. I stopped playing and just played other games so never went back.
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    I remember there were bosses in Dragon Quest IX that were impossible to beat until I figured out all the quirks of the game and spent a ton of time farming xp from metal slimes :p Then, they were only insanely difficult instead of impossible :p
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,486
    Forum Member
    Batman: Arkham City...god I hated that last level.

And Tekken 5 way back on the PS2 as well... Jinpachi was such a cheap villain in an otherwise impressive game. Azazel was another cheap boss in Tekken 6, but the game itself wasn't much to talk about either in my opinion...I was far more impressed by the non-canon Tekken Tag 2.