Options

The Great British Bake Off - Series 5 - Starts 6th August 2014

Comments

• Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    I like them all so much now that it is really sad to see anyone go.

They are all lovely with each other too which is one of the fab things about GBBO.

I love this programme so much - the series is going too quickly.
    Agree with all of that ^ ^

This series is galloping past, I can't believe the final is in sight. I'm off to the Brittany borders today (only about 30 minutes away) so I will find myself a nice boulangerie and see if I can find a kouign amann. I'll be really disappointed if I can't!

I was surprised several of the bakers decided to do the second prove of their kouign amann in the fridge - I do sometimes use the fridge for dough but only if I want to retard a prove... like brioche dough overnight for baking at 6am. With the schedule they had, proving in the fridge didn't seem a logical thing to do. But logic may go fluttering off out of the tent when under that sort of pressure - to prepare and bake something you have never seen.

I wanted ALL of those pasties last night... I was totally in sympathy with Mel - greasy, soggy pockets be damned... jackets can be replaced... :D

Chetna will definitely be in the final, I think - and may win... she seems to consistently score on her spice and flavourings - right from day one.
  • Options
    JT EffectJT Effect Posts: 5,177
    Forum Member
    I like Kate. Anybody else think she looks just like Lamb Chop?

Ha-ha - good spot!

Aww, I loved Lamb Chop as a little girl.
  • Options
    nyannienyannie Posts: 8,536
    Forum Member
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    I agree with that, or at least that a criticism is always followed up with definite praise.
    Paul in particular does treat her differently than he does someone like, say, Nancy.

It's nowhere near like last year's unbearable humouring of Ruby though, which made me want to punch the screen.

I really like all remaining contestants.... and in fact all the contestants from the beginning.
    They all deserve to be there at this stage and I don't really mind who wins now.

I do agree with you about Martha. Every time she has the least criticism the tears well up.

Compared with the others I didn't think her beef wellingtons were as ambitious or as creative as the others. I like all the other contestants except for her - and I really hope she goes next week. I am really surprised that she isn't as creative as the others.

I am really hoping Richard and Chechna get to the final.

Paul and Mary were right though - the standard is very high this year.
  • Options
    nyannienyannie Posts: 8,536
    Forum Member
    I like Kate. Anybody else think she looks just like Lamb Chop?

She does!:):) I had been trying to think of it all these weeks!
  • Options
    VientreVientre Posts: 1,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right choices made last night even though it was sad to see Kate go, I think next week it could come down to Louis or Martha as to who goes, I like Martha and even if the judges are a tad less critical of her its hardly her fault so don't understand people not liking her on that basis, I really hope she goes the whole hog but sadly think that her inexperience will finally catch up with her, great to see the bond between Martha and Chetna, and also Richard pitching in with Chetna to help Martha out, Go Martha :)
  • Options
    cikacika Posts: 3,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I ought to have been rooting for Kate as she's local to me but I couldn't warm to her. Richard seems on track for winning - Jo took a very similar path in her year, coming very close to going out in a couple of rounds, I seem to remember, and the best bread makers always seem to do well. (And no, there's no veiled hint at favouritism from Paul towards his speciality in that comment - I don't for one second think that Mary would stand for it.)

From their comments though most weeks it's Chetna's I'd like to eat most!
  • Options
    MarkBluemelMarkBluemel Posts: 1,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vixyvic wrote: »
    I was shuddering slightly at the idea of lavender.

Slightly?

My views on Lavendar have been discussed earlier in this thread. Suffice it to say that Richard's name is now on my list and he's in for an uncomfortable time come the revolution...
  • Options
    ValentineValentine Posts: 3,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a bit late coming to this show, this year's is the only one I've watched religiously and I watched last year occasionally.

What I like about this is the judging is done fairly, with just straightforward praise and constructive criticism, given in a manner the baker can take something from and learn. There's no agenda to it, unlike those ghastly judges on X Factor etc and Paul and Mary work so well together and they select the right person to go every week. it's such a lovely change..

Mel and Sue I can do without and generally FF their bits (especially the cringing 'bake' shout!).

I am finding Martha's tears a little irritating - I know she's only 17 but she applied to go on the show, so should get a grip.
  • Options
    mimi dlcmimi dlc Posts: 13,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slightly?

My views on Lavendar have been discussed earlier in this thread. Suffice it to say that Richard's name is now on my list and he's in for an uncomfortable time come the revolution...

I hate peanut butter with a vengence- Matha and Luis have got an X beside their name on my list for using it.

I didn't like the look of Luis' eclairs- far too bright and lairy. But they said they were meant to be American, I got the Diner style look. They *were* very neat and matchy, so I can see they would score well.

Luis and Nancy were amazing at piping- they were storming along the line of their eclairs. Richard needs to imporve his decoration- his eclairs were only really saved by him getting the tricky flavour right withouit the soapiness.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RE- Martha's 8000 word dissertation on choux.
    She didn't mention that 4000 of those words were YUM, NOMNOM and MORE
  • Options
    Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    Valentine wrote: »
    I'm a bit late coming to this show, this year's is the only one I've watched religiously and I watched last year occasionally.

What I like about this is the judging is done fairly, with just straightforward praise and constructive criticism, given in a manner the baker can take something from and learn. There's no agenda to it, unlike those ghastly judges on X Factor etc and Paul and Mary work so well together and they select the right person to go every week. it's such a lovely change..

Mel and Sue I can do without and generally FF their bits (especially the cringing 'bake' shout!).

I am finding Martha's tears a little irritating - I know she's only 17 but she applied to go on the show, so should get a grip.
    Having worked a lot with teenagers, it's possible she might not be able to "get a grip". Many around that age (some a bit before, some a bit after) have a few tears about all sorts of things and get over it as quickly as it comes on. It doesn't mean a lot as it would with the older contestants - she's still got all sorts of changes happening both physically and mentally.

Even at my advanced age, I don't always keep my emotions under control - I can shed tears in both happy and sad situations, but they're not actually crying; just a release. I think that's all Martha is doing, while the older contestants (including the men) are obviously on the verge of weeping a bit sometimes, but have the maturity to keep it under control (unlike me and Martha).
  • Options
    Eittol96Eittol96 Posts: 670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting interview with Martha here. Sounds very grounded.

http://www.christiantoday.com/article/martha.collison.bake.off.faith.and.the.future/40501.htm
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd not touch Luis's Stars and Stripes eclairs with a ten-foot barge pole. Choux pastry and peanut butter together is just wrong. So wrong.

Sorry for repeating myself, but Chetna really does look like Ally Sheedy, especially when she smiles.

Evidence #1: Chetna
    Evidence #2: Ally Sheedy [biography at Wikipedia]

She did say she was surprised at how emotional she could get over a bake. She also did get a grip by downplaying her tears when the others sympathised. I think she'll handle it better from now on. Maybe. ^_^
  • Options
    RFSRFS Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member

I am finding Martha's tears a little irritating - I know she's only 17 but she applied to go on the show, so should get a grip

But Ian actually threw his away and then flounced out the tent altogether, and I sooooo wish we'd seen footage of whatever production lackey sent to calm him down and bring him back. That would have been TV gold in itself!

Unless you have been a contestant in the GBBO and know what the pressure is like in the tent, then how can you determine how she should get a grip?

In fairness to her, she did say to camera that crying over eclairs or pasties or whatever was a first for her ... so to be honest if she can reason that her actions were a tad extreme in the tent, surely she can be given the benefit of the doubt?

Mind you that said, I thought she was a goner this week... think she dodged a bullet and I was so sad to see Kate go, but two dodgy weeks in a row did for her, poor love!
  • Options
    ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimi dlc wrote: »
    I didn't like the look of Luis' eclairs- far too bright and lairy. But they said they were meant to be American, I got the Diner style look. They *were* very neat and matchy, so I can see they would score well.

I didn't like the look either for the same reasons. Brightly coloured icing always looks cheap and nasty on 'grown-up' bakes. Children's party. IMO.

Takae wrote: »
    I'd not touch Luis's Stars and Stripes eclairs with a ten-foot barge pole. Choux pastry and peanut butter together is just wrong. So wrong.

Neither would I. I'd be worried about all that colouring!
  • Options
    kazzieconkazziecon Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    According to my newspaper this morning, there was apparently a bit of a confrontation between Richard and Nancy - she accused him of copying her technique during the Kouign-Amman technical challenge. Has anyone else read/seen/noticed this? Don't know if it was during or after the show.

All the contestants tend to look around at what everyone else is doing during this part of the show (I know I would) ... it's natural - so what is she getting her knickers in a twist about? Sorry, but I just can't warm to her. She is too smug!!!
  • Options
    ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Janet43 wrote: »
    Having worked a lot with teenagers, it's possible she might not be able to "get a grip". Many around that age (some a bit before, some a bit after) have a few tears about all sorts of things and get over it as quickly as it comes on. It doesn't mean a lot as it would with the older contestants - she's still got all sorts of changes happening both physically and mentally.

Even at my advanced age, I don't always keep my emotions under control - I can shed tears in both happy and sad situations, but they're not actually crying; just a release. I think that's all Martha is doing, while the older contestants (including the men) are obviously on the verge of weeping a bit sometimes, but have the maturity to keep it under control (unlike me and Martha).

Exactly. She's come across as a lovely girl throughout the prog. Many people on bake off have had a few tears now and again. It's the bakers who continually whinge, grimace, cry etc who get on my wick.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm interested to see how Monkseal's blog handles Luis' solid 6 inches.
    His innuendo meter might explode!

(if you've never read it, I heartily recommend it, but be advised it often contains strong language. And Side splitting humour)
  • Options
    Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    kazziecon wrote: »
    According to my newspaper this morning, there was apparently a bit of a confrontation between Richard and Nancy - she accused him of copying her technique during the Kouign-Amman technical challenge. Has anyone else read/seen/noticed this? Don't know if it was during or after the show.

All the contestants tend to look around at what everyone else is doing during this part of the show (I know I would) ... it's natural - so what is she getting her knickers in a twist about? Sorry, but I just can't warm to her. She is too smug!!!
    I read that too. Perhaps we'll see it in Extra Slice.
  • Options
    BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My comment about Martha and the judges were carefully couched to show I don't think she is any less talented than the other bakers. As others in their replies to my post have said, the tone of Paul and Mary's comments are probably down to her youthful tendency to be unable to stop getting tearful. It's a problem I still have and I'm long out of my youth and can be so annoying!
  • Options
    seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    I hate peanut butter with a vengence- Matha and Luis have got an X beside their name on my list for using it.

I used to hate peanut butter, but quite like it now, but only the one you get in health food shops which is only peanuts - no added sugar or salt. Delicious :D

They were very off-putting. They looked like something you'd get in a cheap cafe.
    Luis and Nancy were amazing at piping- they were storming along the line of their eclairs. Richard needs to imporve his decoration- his eclairs were only really saved by him getting the tricky flavour right withouit the soapiness.

I wish I could pipe. I've tried, but I really struggle. All the icing ends up coming out at the top :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Janet43 wrote: »

I agree. I'm 51, but I still remember how difficult my teens were. I'd find myself bursting into tears for absolutely no reason whatsoever. Hormones play a huge part I'm sure. I really like Martha, she comes across as a lovely girl.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Also, it may just be the editing, but sometimes we see one celeb pulled up for something Martha has also done, but it's not mentioned.

Celeb? :confused:
  • Options
    SweetiecatSweetiecat Posts: 1,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed the show last night.
    Richard made a remarkable comeback after a couple if dodgy weeks and was rightly awarded star baker.
    Martha did really well in the first two challenges but fell apart a bit in the third. It was lovely to see Richard and Chetna rally round to help her at the end and Luis' gesture to her after she'd been criticised. Did enough to stay another week and I hope she has a good week next week.
    Luis showed that he doesn't always get it spot on but pulled it back with his eclairs although I have to agree with others who said they looked hideous. I know it was meant to be a USA themed presentation but that blue icing was just :o. Deserved to stay another week.
    Chetna did well in two of the challenges and I don't think her dodgy technical challenge put her in any real danger if leaving even if Paul hinted that she was. Her flavour combinations always sound really delicious to me and I'd like her to stay a bit longer.
    Nancy was a bit dodgy in the first challenge but OK in the second and like Luis pulled it back with her eclairs. Paul and Mary seem to really like her though and didn't put her in danger of leaving last night when I actually thought she should have been. I liked her in the beginning but she's starting to annoy me now and vines across as a bit if a know it all. I would like her to be next to leave.
    Kate had a really bad weekend and just didn't really get anything right so it was inevitable that she should go last night. Shame really as I liked her a lot.

I only noticed the Sheriff's badge for the first time last night. I'm tempted to go back and see if I can spot it on any if the earlier shows.

The technical challenge seemed liked an awful lot of time and effort to me for what basically looked like a puff pastry cake with a sugar topping. I can't really see many people making that at home.
  • Options
    OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,511
    Forum Member
    Slightly?

Lavender always reminds me of old ladies on geriatric hospital wards as a nursing student - it has no place anywhere near food!