Options

The treatment of young actors on this forum

TLC1098TLC1098 Posts: 1,780
Forum Member
✭✭✭
One thing that bugs me about this place is when ever a young actors arrives on a soap they are slaughtered by the users here and their acting ability is critisized.

These kids are young and it takes TIME for things including ACTING to get better.

This forum should be about discussing soaps, character, storylines and many other things but people here should have no right to insult people they don't even know.

Comments

• Options
    ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,488
    Forum Member
    I often find that the comments about children come from younger members themselves.

I have read some really disgusting comments on here about some of the children and I'm surprised so much of it goes seemingly unnoticed by the mods.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I absolutely agree. I don't like Faye in CS, but slating an 11 year old child is vile.
  • Options
    Tom-Bennett.Tom-Bennett. Posts: 2,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I havent seen anyone here slate the child actors on here like. The character maybe, but nothing wrong with that
  • Options
    priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's there job the should be able to act they go to drama school to learn 'acting' you think the casting team will make sure the people they hire can do the job properly.
    I personally think it's fine to criticise the acting.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rossy22 wrote: »
    I absolutely agree. I don't like Faye in CS, but slating an 11 year old child is vile.

That word is beginning to lose a lot of meaning on these boards! :sleep:

I must say ive seen lots of posters laying into the CHARACTERS but i havnt seen anyone make personal remarks about the performers other than their acting skills!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I havent seen anyone here slate the child actors on here like. The character maybe, but nothing wrong with that

I think where very young children are concerned it doesn't matter if they are discussing the actor or the character it is extremely wrong. The lines can be blurry on this too.

What some people seem to forget is that very young children won't yet be able to strive off criticism and a lot of the time are only there because it's their parents wishes and not their own.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That word is beginning to lose a lot of meaning on these boards! :sleep:

I must say ive seen lots of posters laying into the CHARACTERS but i havnt seen anyone make personal remarks about the performers other than their acting skills!

I have seen plenty. And vile's not a word I use, but appropriate in this case.
    Scrabbler wrote: »
    I think where very young children are concerned it doesn't matter if they are discussing the actor or the character it is extremely wrong. The lines can be blurry on this too.

What some people seem to forget is that very young children won't yet be able to strive off criticism and a lot of the time are only there because it's their parents wishes and not their own.

Absolutely agree. This is exactly my point.
    priscilla wrote: »
    It's there job the should be able to act they go to drama school to learn 'acting' you think the casting team will make sure the people they hire can do the job properly.

But what qualifies you (us) to say whether someone is doing their job properly? We haven't read the scripts, we don't know how it's written. And besides that, in no other part of life is it fine to be personally critical of children, which is the OP's point.
  • Options
    Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1799046 Quite a few just here on the front page. Tip of the iceberg where this forum is concerned.
    It takes years for actors to hone their craft. These kids are learning on the job. I think the attitude that it's ok to criticise a child actor in the same way as you'd critique an adult is just nasty.
  • Options
    TLC1098TLC1098 Posts: 1,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wrong wrong wrong. If you think someones acting is bad that doesn't automaticaly mean that it is and that other people agree with you.

Everyone has different OPINIONS.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Going to drama school is a start, but it is different when you are acting in front of twenty other kids compared to acting in front of 8 millionish viewers. It's a lot more daunting and alot harder to deal with. Some people seem to expect oscar winning performances from these young children, which isn't going to happen.

The training the children will get will be mainly from the program and it will take time for them to develop their talents.
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It takes years for actors to hone their craft. These kids are learning on the job. I think the attitude that it's ok to criticise a child actor in the same way as you'd critique an adult is just nasty.

Sorry but learning how to deal with criticism is part of the job and if the child can't handle that then they obviously wrong for the job....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Sorry but learning how to deal with criticism is part of the job and if the child can't handle that then they obviously wrong for the job....

Are you being serious?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't want to be rude but what gives you the right to say that? If you have been acting for years and your skills don't improve them fine throw in the towel but these kids are young and only starting of so you can't expect the to give a bafta performance overnight.
  • Options
    Forum Member

But maybe there are certain ways to deliver criticism, sometimes it can be really fair and unjust.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1799046 Quite a few just here on the front page. Tip of the iceberg where this forum is concerned.

Well you'd would say I'm nasty because I've criticised the young actors (Liam EE I personally think his acting wooden and cringey). If noone criticised anyone because they were children how would you improve or try to get better.
    TLC1098 wrote: »
    Wrong wrong wrong. If you think someones acting is bad that doesn't automaticaly mean that it is and that other people agree with you.

Everyone has different OPINIONS.

I never said that they had to agree with me. Like you said everyone has different opinions I think its fine to criticise the acting.
  • Options
    AngelicPrincessAngelicPrincess Posts: 7,434
    Forum Member
    Depends how young. I dont like it when they go on about the way they look but that applies to older actors too. My eldest doesnt want to be an actor but when I go to see his school play and hes better than say Masie as Tiffany then I will complain. Over the age of 10 I think you can comment about their acting, as you can have same talent which I feel she is super aware of the camera and terrible. The writing doesnt help giving her a "turn" all the time like that scene with a adult male she barely knows in the darkened garage I mean seriously?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jimthepig wrote: »
    I don't want to be rude but what gives you the right to say that? If you have been acting for years and your skills don't improve them fine throw in the towel but these kids are young and only starting of so you can't expect the to give a bafta performance overnight.

I was giving my opinion on the topic thread thats why I said it. I never said they had to give Bafta performances I just think they should be able to act and if they can't then I don't see the problem in criticising them.
    Obviously all of us won't have the same opinion on who can act, but if I think someone can't act then I don't see what's wrong in saying that.
  • Options
    stick_of_rockstick_of_rock Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well you'd would say I'm nasty because I've criticised the young actors (Liam EE I personally think his acting wooden and cringey). If noone criticised anyone because they were children how would you improve or try to get better.

Your kind of criticism is hardly going to help any actor get better though. Calling someone's acting wooden or cringey offers no way for them to improve upon this and just isn't constructive at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your kind of criticism is hardly going to help any actor get better though. Calling someone's acting wooden or cringey offers no way for them to improve upon this and just isn't constructive at all.

You have to remember they're all experts in acting so their word is law...:sleep:
  • Options
    CatmittensCatmittens Posts: 1,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sorry, but that sounds like absolute tosh. Surely you have to agree that nurturing and encouragement helps a child to learn the acting craft better than being shouted at, criticised or slated all the time...? Or is there no difference between an 8 year old actor and a 28 year old actor?

I know much of the criticism on here is meant in jest, but sometimes posts on here make me despair. What annoys me is seeing all the vitriolic comments about Simon on Corrie. He's not my favourite in the soap at all... but surely all those comments should be directed towards the writers and not the little kid reading out their work?
  • Options
    rapunzel4rapunzel4 Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

just to defend my thread!!!!! i was asking what characters most annoying. that was all
    (and its overwhelmingly faye)
  • Options
    rory rrory r Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    I absolutely cannot stand Tyrone and Kirstys baby Ruby, a terrible actress who will never win an Oscar. Can't believe she got such a major roll.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ;) :d
  • Options
    rapunzel4rapunzel4 Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rory r wrote: »
    I absolutely cannot stand Tyrone and Kirstys baby Ruby, a terrible actress who will never win an Oscar. Can't believe she got such a major roll.

awwww, wee rooooooooobeh ;)
  • Options
    Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member
    rory r wrote: »

What about Kevins son Jack could you get any worse than him?