Options

Is there still a stigma towards people from Northern Ireland?

Comments

• Options
    beanie.beanie. Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frillynix wrote: »
    Folks, I'm from Belfast and being in my 50's and seen it all here......can I make a point this is the Big Brother forum. Maybe this should now be moved to the politics or general discussion forums?

Either way it makes feckin deprseeing reading :(

Does it? Sorry.
    I think it's an interesting discussion (if you ignore the REALLY OBVIOUS TROLL).
  • Options
    peterstonepeterstone Posts: 5,160
    Forum Member
    No stigma from me. Other than finding the accent on women a bit if a turn on :D
  • Options
    Jungle CatsJungle Cats Posts: 765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rorybb wrote: »
    I hope one day Ireland finally will be united again and I think that it will happen sometime in the future.

forcing millions of people in NI to live under a foreign government against their wishes.

lovely.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    beanie. wrote: »
    But to be able to move on from it, both sides need to admit to wrong doing.
    Your post only mentioned wrong doing from one side, I wanted to add balance.

I get what you're saying but I thought it would go without saying that many actions of the IRA have been disgusting.

Terrorism from the british establishment (hand in hand with their loyalist paramilitary puppets) and the IRA drove a wedge between people on this island when the vast majority just want to live their lives in peace. I have always maintained that the island of Ireland should be re-united and EVERYONE on the island should live with respect and tolerance to the various cultures that make up Irish society AND relations between the island and Britain should be strong and healthy as our histories have intertwined for as long back as you can imagine - for good and bad. But we're two small islands on the edge of europe and the years of disharmony and conflict should be a thing of the past and everyone should move on to live together in peace.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    millions of people in NI
    Really?
    :D:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    beanie. wrote: »
    Really?
    :D:D:D:D:D

:D:D

It's like those millions of flag protestors in Belfast...........when the reality is there are about 5 of them :p:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ted_Bear wrote: »
    I get what you're saying but I thought it would go without saying that many actions of the IRA have been disgusting.

Terrorism from the british establishment (hand in hand with their loyalist paramilitary puppets) and the IRA drove a wedge between people on this island when the vast majority just want to live their lives in peace. I have always maintained that the island of Ireland should be re-united and EVERYONE on the island should live with respect and tolerance to the various cultures that make up Irish society AND relations between the island and Britain should be strong and healthy as our histories have intertwined for as long back as you can imagine - for good and bad. But we're two small islands on the edge of europe and the years of disharmony and conflict should be a thing of the past and everyone should move on to live together in peace.

Well said. Agree 100%
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Look at your passport again: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/e1/Ukpassport-cover.jpg/190px-Ukpassport-cover.jpg

United Kingdom of Great Britain AND Northern Ireland. ;-)

meaning that Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom, no matter what Ted Bear or any other nationalist says.

Thanks for confirming my point
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    incorrect. 'Derry' may have been the city's original name but it is no longer. As long as the city remains part of the UK it's name is Londonderry, no matter what Catholic/republicans wish it were called.

it is no business of the people of ROI what a place in Britain is named.

you lament the 'extemists' in this thread but your views also come across as pretty extreme. Hmmmm.....Are you a Sinn Fein supporter?

Protestants call it Derry too.

Stop making generalisations.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Many actions of the IRA were deplorable. Does that make British state sanctioned murder any less disgusting? Of course it doesn't.

A UVF supporter on a Big Brother forum - wow, for God and Rylan.

The Union is weakening. Only have to look at the latest polls regarding Scottish independence. Even if it doesn't occur it's a large percentage. Couple that with the north of Ireland and Sinn Feins increasing mandate and the also the fact that many in England and Wales would happily get shot of the 6 counties show that it is a withering ideology at best. Look at the flag protests in Belfast. Years ago all hell would have broke loose and tens of thousands would have continually been on the streets - despite an initial uproar it is now a small amount of flag waving lunatics who are akin to the monkeys in the zoo to the normal people in society. Everyone else watches on with a smirk and pity at their neanderthal actions.

The state of northern Ireland is not part of Britain. Never has been, never will be. You strive to be belong to an entity that doesn't even want you and you're not part of.

I shouldn't really warrant someone like you with a response considering your "UVF FTW" comment - an organisation that has killed and slaughtered thousands of innocent Catholics. Hopefully a moderator on this site recognises your support of a terrorist organisation and deals with it accordingly.

Scotland always has referendums..
  • Options
    peterstonepeterstone Posts: 5,160
    Forum Member
    emmetmcl wrote: »
    Oh God, can a mod please close this thread now.

I wear Ben Sherman, used to ride a Vespa when I was younger and I love The Who and The Small Faces.

Will I do?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rorybb wrote: »
    If Ashleigh considers herself Irish and has an Irish passport then she is Irish.

I hope one day Ireland finally will be united again and I think that it will happen sometime in the future.

Some people buy Irish passports because they are cheaper.
  • Options
    SAFC_DerrySAFC_Derry Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A troll is someone you disagree with.:p

I would also go as far to say that this person is WUM who probably doesn’t even live in NI. I've been unfortunate enough to have previous with this rather sad individual and although I've met and seen many a bigot at least (some) try and hide it under a cloak of various so called religious liberties/causes that have done nothing but divide this community and cost many lives over the years. Thankfully we are moving forward (slowly) and people like this certain poster is a dying breed. TBH I never thought I would see a poster support a terrorist group on a BB forum now that is a first.
  • Options
    Forum Member

My family never had any relations with the people down south in the first place.

Not sure what this wedge is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Frostyj wrote: »
    Scotland always has referendums..

:confused:

Scotland has had two referendums in the past in relation to devolution 1979 and 1997. This is a referendum for independence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Your passport says "Great Britain AND Northern Ireland"..............if it was the same thing you wouldn't need the "and" :D

And? We are still British citizens.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Some people buy Irish passports because they are cheaper.

Aye, so people determine their nationality legally because the passport is cheaper?!? :D:D C'mon ffs!! :)
    My family never had any relations with the people down south in the first place.

Not sure what this wedge is.

"Relations" in the sense of the people that you share the island with. You know the same people that until relatively recently (historically) were united and a division wasn't carved up by the British to ensure a minority became a majority!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And? We are still British citizens.

.....but northern Ireland is not part of Britain.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SAFC_Derry wrote: »
    I would also go as far to say that this person is WUM who probably doesn’t even live in NI. I've been unfortunate enough to have previous with this rather sad individual and although I've met and seen many a bigot at least (some) try and hide it under a cloak of various so called religious liberties/causes that have done nothing but divide this community and cost many lives over the years. Thankfully we are moving forward (slowly) and people like this certain poster is a dying breed. TBH I never thought I would see a poster support a terrorist group on a BB forum now that is a first.

I was showing my support for Hewanorra International Airport.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hewanorra_International_Airport

you believe the airport is a terrorist organisation? :confused:
  • Options
    emmetmclemmetmcl Posts: 2,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now I doubt Unionism is gasping for its last breath. Come on now.

Loyalism probably is, as is republicanism, but Unionism and Nationalism most certainly are not.
  • Options
    SAFC_DerrySAFC_Derry Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D:D

It's like those millions of flag protestors in Belfast...........when the reality is there are about 5 of them :p:D

Its FLEEG protestors not FLAG haven't you seen the LAD (Loyalist Against Democracy) page on Facebook? Get with the programme TED:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    .....but northern Ireland is not part of Britain.

anybody who holds a British passport is a British citizen
  • Options
    superbass88superbass88 Posts: 543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    strange, that's what it says on my passport.

who should I believe, an official government document, or some guy called Ted on an internet forum......? :kitty:

You can't have looked at it too hard because it says the "United Kingdom of Great Britain AND Northern Ireland".

http://www.britishsouthindians.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/British_passport.jpg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Aye, so people determine their nationality legally because the passport is cheaper?!? :D:D C'mon ffs!! :)

"Relations" in the sense of the people that you share the island with. You know the same people that until relatively recently (historically) were united and a division wasn't carved up by the British to ensure a minority became a majority!!

In terms of the Protestant community there was always a division. I don't think you are aware of that. There are certainly people who buy Irish passports because they are cheaper.. Ask anyone from NI.

You haven't really got a clue either. I went to a non denominational primary and secondary school - and I know all the ins/outs of each "community". Its not as blackand white as you think it is.
  • Options
    emmetmclemmetmcl Posts: 2,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I won't even bother pointing out the absurdity of this statement....

Nothern Ireland isnt and never was a part of Britain though. In fact, even Scotland isnt in Britain.

Britain is England and Wales, Great Britain is Britain and Scotland and the UK is GB + NI.