* 05:00 - 817,000 (52.0%)
    * 05:20 - 838,200 (52.3%)
    * 05:55 - 854,000 (44.8%) - peak figure
    * 07:10 - 747,700 (17.7%)
    * won its slot from 05:00 to 06:30
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,690
    Forum Member
    MG notes the Lost simulcast was ahead of the normally dominant BBC One Breakfast between 6am and 6:30am which is a major achievement in itself.

I wonder why it lost viewers towards the end though? I'd have expected the opposite what with more people waking up.

Still very impressive. Well done Sky.
  • Options
    Dar WDar W Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It could of lost viewers because it finished about 7.15,not 7.30 as advertised.
    Thats if they were counting that last average from 7.10 to 7.30
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dar W wrote: »
    It could of lost viewers because it finished about 7.15,not 7.30 as advertised.
    Thats if they were counting that last average from 7.10 to 7.30

All the above figures are for 5 minute averages, i.e. 05:00 is for 05:00 to 05:05...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Broadcast also notes this:
    Usually, just over 4,000 people are watching Sky 1 between 5am and 7am on Monday mornings, where a repeat of The Bigger Loser US was scheduled to air before a last-minute opportunity saw distributor Disney offer a simulcast of Lost.

But a staggering 52% of viewers apparently set their alarms for the 5am start, with an audience of 817,900 watching during the first five minutes of the drama.

In other words, they had over 200 times their usual number of viewers at 5am. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interestingly, it doesn't make much difference to their all-day share, only 1.2% compared with 0.8% last Monday.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    From Broadcast, key bits:

Sky1
    05:00 - Lost: 643,000 (28.2%)
    * 05:00 - 817,000 (52.0%)
    * 05:20 - 838,200 (52.3%)
    * 05:55 - 854,000 (44.8%) - peak figure
    * 07:10 - 747,700 (17.7%)
    * won its slot from 05:00 to 06:30

That is fantastic ratings!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Presumably though the figures include recordings watched Monday evening, which does kind of take the shine off the figures a little bit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Presumably though the figures include recordings watched Monday evening, which does kind of take the shine of the figures a little bit.

Even so, the figure is in fact slightly higher than the Friday figures.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC claim 2.5m watched a repeat at 9pm - my only problem with that is that a repeat of House was scheduled, can anyone clarify?

If that is true, it'd put Sky1 second in the 9pm slot.
  • Options
    dave01dave01 Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With regards to the 5am Lost ratings on Sky1. There is a readers comment on the Media Guardian article saying only 69k watched it live between 5am - 7:15am, with the rest of the 566k viewers recording it to watch it later in the day. It sounds correct as he seems to have access to Live Barb data.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/may/25/lost-finale-tv-ratings?showallcomments=true#end-of-comments
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dave01 wrote: »
    With regards to the 5am Lost ratings on Sky1. There is a readers comment on the Media Guardian article saying only 69k watched it live between 5am - 7:15am, with the rest of the 566k viewers recording it to watch it later in the day. It sounds correct as he seems to have access to Live Barb data.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/may/25/lost-finale-tv-ratings?showallcomments=true#end-of-comments
    That's more like I was expecting.

So really these reports about Lost's early morning performance have been exaggerated by MG and Broadcast.

(It didn't win its slot for 90 minutes, for example)
  • Options
    MattJKRMattJKR Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    Interestingly, it doesn't make much difference to their all-day share, only 1.2% compared with 0.8% last Monday.

All day shares are not infact for all day - they only cover 6am - 2am and are weighted in a special way ensuring a share of 40% at 7am doesnt count as much as a 40% share at 7pm in the overall calulation...

Its worth noting that if the all day share covered 2am - 2am each day BBC One would get a boost (it often gets a 50% share with BBC News channel overnight) but ITV1 would see a reduction in its share (often only getting 5 - 6% in such slots)...
  • Options
    BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dan2008 wrote: »
    No and im going to avoid it as much as possible but it would have been nice for ITV to come up with some other shows aswell rather then filling the 7:30pm-10:00pm slot of the same 2 shows all week
    It's one week FFS. If you hate it that much you should be glad it's over sooner rather than later as if they'd played it weekly you'd have to put up with another six weeks of a programme you don't watch!

And it's about the only week of the year when ITV offer something different on weeknight evenings.
    dan2008 wrote: »
    Wonder what ITV would do without the Xfactor and BGT?
    At some point people will get bored Just take a look at Big Brother everyone was talking about it and it rated well but not anymore
    Move on, just as any other channel would. Channels have hits - some last a couple of years, some last nearly a decade and some last for decades. Don't worry - I'm sure when The X Factor and Britain's Got Talent finally reach their end they'll be another show you don't watch for you too complain about.
    Andy23 wrote: »
    Good for you. Personally I avoid EastEnders every week. In fact I think it should be axed or at least reduced to one episode per month, it's awful television, BBC1 should be forced to show something else at that time, rather than show this high rating popular programme. The entire schedule should be based on my own personal tastes... etc etc. ;)

Slamming a channel for poor ratings is one thing, slamming them for showing high rating popular programmes, in the ratings thread of all places, is another.
    Exactly.
    Charnham wrote: »
    I do like this take on BGT

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1281211/Has-Britain-Got-Talent-ITV-scraping-barrel.html

and lets skip past the "its in the Daily" and the "its written by Jan Moir" comments, I still liked the general tone of her article.
    The fact they still employ her says everything you need to know about both.
    Blakey29 wrote: »
    One thing that really annoyed me on MPD, was Davina's constant referencing to the time. We know it's live!
    That was very irritating - as if it was the first live programme in the history of TV.

Although some issues with the basics - trap doors, counting cash, clearing money etc. (a croupier style assistant would be handy) I didn't think it was bad. The biggest complaint has been the pacing - but despite only having eight questions there was zero filler - all discussion was directly related to the gameplay and the questions, and all questions had a one minute limit.

Certainly IMO felts a lot pacier than something like In it to Win It, which has 2-3 times as many questions but feels a heck of a lot slower due to contestants having to explain their thought processes when answering questions such as "What colour is the sky?".

Ratings - as expected really - 2,2m. I'd expect a drop to around 1.5m by the end of the week though. Would have performed better in the 9pm hour - but also less exposed at 10pm. A 2m average across the week at 10pm might get a recommission, but 2m at 9pm might not.
    MG notes the Lost simulcast was ahead of the normally dominant BBC One Breakfast between 6am and 6:30am which is a major achievement in itself.

I wonder why it lost viewers towards the end though? I'd have expected the opposite what with more people waking up.
    If you were a fan though you wouldn't wake up and watch the last 15 minutes, having missed the two hours before hand.
    BBC claim 2.5m watched a repeat at 9pm - my only problem with that is that a repeat of House was scheduled, can anyone clarify?

If that is true, it'd put Sky1 second in the 9pm slot.
    The press release last week said they'd air it on Tuesday and Friday night.
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's more like I was expecting.

So really these reports about Lost's early morning performance have been exaggerated by MG and Broadcast.

(It didn't win its slot for 90 minutes, for example)

MG have admitted their error and are going to update their story (according to a comment by JasonDeans).

K
  • Options
    Forum Member
    KennyT wrote: »
    MG have admitted their error and are going to update their story (according to a comment by JasonDeans).

K
    That's good.

It's interesting though isn't it? Obviously this is an exceptional case with the very early transmission time, but I wonder what other shows have been benefitting to this degree in recent weeks from same day timeshift viewing?

Doctor Who perhaps?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's good.

It's interesting though isn't it? Obviously this is an exceptional case with the very early transmission time, but I wonder what other shows have been benefitting to this degree in recent weeks from same day timeshift viewing?

Doctor Who perhaps?
    Perhaps, but I'd venture to suggest...not the most recent episode!!!!

K
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KennyT wrote: »

K
    As they promised...
    MG wrote:
    More than 600,000 Lost fans watched the last ever episodes on Sky1 yesterday, Monday 24 May - but only 68,000 got up at 5am to watch it live.

Lost had an average live audience of 68,000 viewers between 5am and 7.15am on Sky1. However, when timeshifted viewing – on video recorders and personal video recorders such as Sky+ – between then and 2am this morning is added, this average audience rises to 635,000.

The early morning start for Lost accounts for the unusually high proportion of timeshift viewing - nearly 90% of the total.
    K
  • Options
    rztrzt Posts: 21,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great rating for Lost. Okay, 90% of the audience didn't watch it as 'live' but it's still a hefty number and I imagine the two other repeats later this week will also rate well. Million Pound Drop on C4 did as well as expected really, but the figures will drop all week and it probably won't rate much higher than 1m come Saturday.

Corrie is a tad bit low IMO as Emmerdale did almost as well last week in the same slot (share-wise). The football rated okay - it's a couple of million down from the pre-World Cup friendly from four years ago which was broadcast on BBC1, but yesterday's pre/post match analysis was much longer which would've dented the average.

EastEnders held up alright, but I think we'll definitely be seeing ~5m ratings next week when it faces BGT. This next week or two is really going to be one of its worst ratings patches ever, and having the disruption of the World Cup the following week won't help matters. High Street Dreams really struggled, even worse than how ITV does on Tuesday nights on a bad day! If you'd told me a couple of months ago, even a month ago, that BBC1 would be getting sub 2m two days a week at 9pm I'd have said you're mad! Fortunately, BBC1 has only scheduled four episodes of HSD for the current slot instead of the full eight which was commissioned - the last four will probably end up airing later in the year after the news where it could fall to the low 1's but be more in line with the slot average than how it's doing at the moment.

The Chelsea Flower Show and Celebrity Come Dine with Me did good numbers against the football. FlashForward was predictably dented by the footy but I don't think we'll see much of a recovery next week for its final episode. According to C4Sales, Glee fell to its lowest rating in nearly three months: about 30% of the E4 audience has abandoned the show since it returned from hiatus and the C4 repeat audience has fallen from "as high as 1.8m" a few months ago to just 0.5m in recent weeks. Looks like a significant portion of the show's audience is finally realising that it's total rubbish!
  • Options
    BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EE will probably be hit hard on Monday, but I can see it doing OK on Tuesday/Thursday out of habit if nothing else - and any EE fans not interested in Corrie may opt to start recording BGT and watch from 8-9.30pm, before the results live on Tuesday and Thursday at least - though could do the same with EE I guess - though I think people tend to watch the BBC live and record the commercial channels so you can skip the ads.

That Lost figure is interesting because although of course the later in the evening you get the less significant those watching on time-shift would be, doesn't it basically screw up all the shares.
  • Options
    Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,769
    Forum Member
    dubsj wrote: »
    The Chase 1.2m / 11.4%
    Corrie 6.5m / 35.0%
    Football 7.2m peaked 8.7m / 31.6%
    Eastenders 6.5m / 28.5%
    High Street Dreams 1.9m / 7.8%
    OK for Coronation Street in an earlier slot, but really not much higher than what Emmerdale would be getting.
    You have to ask the question why was Emmerdale just left there at 7pm when it would have gone practically the same rating? It would have made more sense to leave Emmerdale on last night and show the two Corrie episodes on tonight or Wednesday and bumping whatever flops they would have shown then.
    Not sure what to think of the football rating so close to the World Cup.
    It wasn't the huge ratings you or even I was expecting. The last England game got 7.6m in the overnights so to be this close to the World Cup and get lower than that last figure is pretty poor.
    Brekkie wrote: »
    EE will probably be hit hard on Monday, but I can see it doing OK on Tuesday/Thursday out of habit if nothing else - and any EE fans not interested in Corrie may opt to start recording BGT and watch from 8-9.30pm, before the results live on Tuesday and Thursday at least - though could do the same with EE I guess - though I think people tend to watch the BBC live and record the commercial channels so you can skip the ads.

I would say that people tend to record BBC shows more. The higher timeshifts seem to be for BBC shows such as Ashes To Ashes, Doctor Who and Outnumbered. I really cant see people recording BGT too much next week, the live shows will be watched real-time so viewers can find out the results there and then and they will want to have watched the performances before. BBC overnights will be hit badly but should get some good timeshifts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Georged123 wrote: »
    It wasn't the huge ratings you or even I was expecting. The last England game got 7.6m in the overnights so to be this close to the World Cup and get lower than that last figure is pretty poor.
    The last England Friendly didn't face EastEnders for most of the first half, nor did it air on a hot baking evening. According to Broadcast, yesterday's share of the coverage was better than the last friendly which itself actually rated higher than expected. I don't think yesterday's was a 'poor' rating - just slightly underwhelming.
  • Options
    newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    Is there another friendly before WC? If so against who and when, thanks :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    newkid30 wrote: »
    Yep, there is. England vs. Japan this Sunday at 1:15pm BST.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    newkid30 wrote: »

Japan. Away. Sunday afternoon.

http://www.radiotimes.com/ListingsServlet?event=10&channelId=26&programmeId=116123076&jspLocation=/jsp/prog_details_fullpage.jsp

K
This discussion has been closed.