Options

Got To Dance (Sky 1)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cornchips wrote: »
    Loved this. Only thing I know Adam Garcia for is being in Coyote Ugly - and he was in Mr Eleven on ITV just before christmas. Didn't know about his dancing ability.

Was that him? I had no idea! Just remember the guy was cute :o

The only time I could remember seeing him was when he was on 'An Audience with Kylie Minogue' and did 'Better the Devil You Know' with Kylie in a tap/jazzy sort of way.

As long as we've Adam and Ashley on the panel, that's enough talent for me!! :cool:
  • Options
    trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adam Garcia is a WEST END star, so more multi-talented all-rounder (singing, dancing, acting). His dancing is probably his strongest attribute, though.

GTD was brilliant, and crapped on the BBC's effort from a great height. Fresh, interesting and relevant judging panel (major points to Kimberley for being very fair and firm but not nasty.)

Great dancing, Jukebox Juniors were immense!
  • Options
    lea27lea27 Posts: 11,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched both shows and thought this was by far the better show, was surprised it did so bad in the ratings. Hopefully people will catch the reruns and see for themselves that its better than the rubbish that they put on the bbc the night before! Agree with above Jukebox Juniors were the best!
  • Options
    SickPuppy21SickPuppy21 Posts: 4,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lea27 wrote: »
    I watched both shows and thought this was by far the better show, was surprised it did so bad in the ratings. Hopefully people will catch the reruns and see for themselves that its better than the rubbish that they put on the bbc the night before! Agree with above Jukebox Juniors were the best!

Did bad? for Sky 1 its VERY successful.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    So far I've only seen the first show.

That woman who was showing her boobs to the judge was really funny. She knew what had happened but couldn't cover up. Even funnier was the bemused expression on her partner's face who had no idea what had happened. :p

I liked Status. I don't think they are extraordinary but they looked like they could improve as the competition goes on.

James was very good. I liked the costume he wore it made him stand out every bit as much as his dance did. I'm not sure he can win though.

The Hot Toe Tappers must have been having a laugh. They're just not of competition standard.

Enrapture were adorable. There's going to be a tidal wave of tears when they leave the contest though.:(

The Jukebox Juniors were a lot of fun and could do really well in the competition. One of the things that goes in their favour is they don't try and be older than they are.

Matthew Koon was IMO the best dancer of the first show and is a serious contender if a solo dancer is going to win the competition.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -Jade" wrote: »
    God I'm glad I wasn't the only one :o

Another one for Ashley's fan club, I think he is absolutely gorgeous!
  • Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    I stumbled across this on Sky Anytime last night. For somebody who avoids dance shows I was very impressed. It's brilliantly produced. Far better than the snippets I caught of SYTYCD which looked very dry in comparison. Davina is the perfect host for this and I like the judging panel (and the way they decide individually without conferring - a subtle twist on a familiar format).

They've definitely borrowed a lot of the production techniques from The X Factor/BGT but that's no bad thing as both shows do what they do well.

And the dancing was great too!

Very good show.
  • Options
    matt888ukmatt888uk Posts: 601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Such a shame that Sky1 is still ignored by so many people - Got to Dance was a thousand times more interesting, fun and well-produced than SYTYCD, yet 5 million more people choose the BBC cack.

(Although after the horrific first ep of SYTYCD, I wouldn't be surprised if Sky's 1 million for GTD way eclipses it for the second ep!!)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    The second show.

Karen Small (40 year old Street dancer)
    Embarassing to watch. It's hard to believe she is a former professional and choreographer. Gobby and a bad attitude.
    So what if you're 40? I'm glad Davina got her off the stage.

Parallel
    They did nothing for me. They were too much like a Michael Jackson tribute act to start with which IMO shows lack of originality.

Girl groups D.N.A, Kayzar Reloaded, Taboo, Unity Youth all started to blend into one. I think that was more down to the editing of them one afer the other in quick succession did them favours. From what I saw none really caught my eye as "ones to watch."

Emily (aged 11)
    She needs to decide if she's a dancer or a contortionist. For me she came across as a novelty act and the contortions took away from what an obviouslt talented dancer she is.

Jack Bradshaw
    Here comes the sob story.:yawn:
    He left me cold and uninterested. It's sad what his family and him have been through but he wasn't that good compared to others in the competition so shouldn't go through.

Flo Motion
    If it's comedy it should be funny. It wasn't! I'm surprised they managed to get one star originally.

The Cherriettes
    I've never got the whole cheerleading thing. I think it was right not to put them through. How many times can you see a cheerleading routine before it gets old?

Kane
    What's the point of having a tap dancer if you're going to keep showing him from the waist up and cutting away to other people. Was he good? I'm not sure but he is doing something nobody else is doing so I was glad to see him put through.

Ashley is going to get on my nerves if he's going to keep changing his mind.
  • Options
    kayceekaycee Posts: 12,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the show showed shades of BGT - maybe because it includes all ages, I'm not sure.

It was ok, and some of the acts were pretty good, but I prefer SYTYCD which is far more serious, and for serious dancers, as I'm fed up seeing dance treated as just a bit of light entertainment (i.e. SCD etc.).
  • Options
    rhodrhod Posts: 3,995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agent F wrote: »
    I stumbled across this on Sky Anytime last night. For somebody who avoids dance shows I was very impressed. It's brilliantly produced.

I enjoyed it as well - they don't dwell too much on the awful competitors, like Cowell's shows do
    (and they must get quite a few), and they haven't dwelled too much on the background sob-stories - which I think detract from the competitive performance element.

The judges are good too - never too harsh, but always fair. This show proves that you don't need to ramp up the artifical "feuds" and quirks of the judges, in order to produce an entertaining show - the acts should be entertainment enough - and in this show they are (Go Jukebox Juniors!!)
  • Options
    WinsomeWinsome Posts: 12,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't see the two programmes in competition, tbh. I watched both, and enjoyed both, so will continue to follow them. Although dance is the common theme, I think they are very different in style, so take each as they come and just sit back and enjoy.
    I was undecided as to whether to even give GTD a chance to begin with, the pushing of the Ms McCall was a little offputting, and she still might spoil the show for me, but that's just a personal preference (or lack of :D), but thought despite this the show was enjoyable.
  • Options
    SickPuppy21SickPuppy21 Posts: 4,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well on again in less than an hour, it goes Live on Jan 24th according to Ashley on twitter.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is anyone watching tonight's show?

OMG - the guy using his Ventolin inhaler in the middle of his performance :eek: Eat your heart out Peter Kay...

Actually I'm glad he got through - I kind of liked him

Absolutely loved the Bhangra Heads, probably my favourites of the series so far. Great fun :cool:
  • Options
    MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm watching.

I'm also glad Silk (have I remembered right?) got through. I'd like to see what he can do when he can actually breathe.:eek:

Bhangra Heads are one of my favourites too. There's something joyous about them.

Those identical twins seemed a bit basic to me, but their synchronicity was uncanny.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muggsy wrote: »
    Those identical twins seemed a bit basic to me, but their synchronicity was uncanny.

Agreed. Can't say I liked that kid at the end that much either, he's obviously amazingly talented for his age but the moves were the same old same old...

Cracking show again though, Sky have done a fantastic production job on this so far.
  • Options
    MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Little Akai had got me before he danced a step. Guess I'm just a softie for little lads with cheeky faces.:o

I didn't think much of any of the groups put in by that dance teacher. Run of the mill dance school stuff from the kids groups, and same old, same old from the teacher's group.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muggsy wrote: »
    I'm watching.

I'm also glad Silk (have I remembered right?) got through. I'd like to see what he can do when he can actually breathe.:eek:

Bhangra Heads are one of my favourites too. There's something joyous about them.

Agree with you, I love this show. I was expecting the twins to get three red stars, didn't rate them at all. Love the Bhangra Heads and that 10 year old kid :eek: AMAZING.

Haven't made my mind up about the Liverpool invasion yet.
  • Options
    LibitinaLibitina Posts: 2,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hate, hate, hate the fact that they feel the need to reiterate who they all are and what they all do after every ad break. We are not Americans and have an attention span longer than....ooooh a cup of tea.......
  • Options
    Mr_TartMr_Tart Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me too, and the fact its on sky1 HD which we are reminded of every 10 mins.

Are people with Sky HD retards?

How many gold stars do they need again? They could use the time to show more of the acts.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,700
    Forum Member
    If this had been the BBC show it would have been a smash hit. I think that one is going to struggle amd once clips of this pop up on Youtube people will get into this one.

I totally agree. And no Simon Cowell in sight (Thank you God). And no huge ego's involved between the judges aka X Factor, who attempt to make the show all about themselves i.e. be the winning judge and nothing is below them re nasty remarks and inuendo to make sure this happens, or use the show to get their own solo career off the ground. :yawn: THIS show on Sky1 is bl**dy great. The talent is pheonominal and the judges are professional and not up themselves with self importance. It makes such a refreshing change.

I wasn't going to watch this show when I heard that Davina was presenting it, but am SO glad I did, it's fantastic. And Davina is quite understated, giving the attention over to the contestants. Just hope she doesn't go into 'Big brother' mode, but I don't think she will somehow because this is a different kind of show. Can't wait for the next round. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    I've been watching the warm up show on Anytime.
    This looks like it could be a better show than "So you think you can dance" because it's not just solo competitors but groups as well.

It also looks like the judges aren't going to try and out do each other and steal the limelight.
    If anyone does though it looks like it's going to be West End star Adam Garcia. In the warm up show he said he isn't a fan of ballroom dancing because of all the weird face pulling they do when they dance.

This could actually turn out to be the best dance show even if it isn't as big and glossy as the BBC1 show.

Love the show , got to dance there are some amazing kids, seen the warm up and first two shows, the little welsh kids in pink Eruption were amazing also loved mathew.

Both could go long way in competition can't wait .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Adam Garcia is a WEST END star, so more multi-talented all-rounder (singing, dancing, acting). His dancing is probably his strongest attribute, though.

GTD was brilliant, and crapped on the BBC's effort from a great height. Fresh, interesting and relevant judging panel (major points to Kimberley for being very fair and firm but not nasty.)

Great dancing, Jukebox Juniors were immense!

Really enjoyed the show loved all the children the cute kids eruption ......James brown loved it their reactions great tv , mathew was amazing hope both are in finals
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mr_Tart wrote: »
    Me too, and the fact its on sky1 HD which we are reminded of every 10 mins.

Are people with Sky HD retards?

How many gold stars do they need again? They could use the time to show more of the acts.

Totaly agree we know who the judges are, some brillant groups big fan of eruption school kids and mathew, tonight show was great but the first two were the best, to much drama tonight with guy collapsing plz no more sob stories just talent
  • Options
    muppeteermuppeteer Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be a huge fan of dance acts or dance reality shows in general, but after watching this show earlier, I have to say it's pretty entertaining.

I like the judges, they are constructive and the show is not all about their own egos, like on some reality shows. There's a nice mix there with those 3 judges, and all of them know what they are talking about.

There were a couple of sob stories but no overload. I hope this show gets some recognition. Haven't seen SYTYCD yet but it sounds poor by what people are saying on here, I will give it a chance though.

Oh... and I'm in love with Adam Garcia. He is just. So. Sexy.:D Appreciation thread time maybe???? Anyone else adore him?