Radio 2 playing Radio 1 music

13»

Comments

• Options
    RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soundbox wrote: »
    Whilst the Radio 2 playlist may include some new music it is often fleeting and many times the artist name and track are not given so I miss out again..

If you have a smartphone use the Shazam app, if near a Pc or tablet or phone when the song is on look at the now playing info on the website or later look up that shows playlist on the website.
  • Options
    Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    Whilst the Radio 2 playlist may include some new music it is often fleeting and many times the artist name and track are not given so I miss out again..
    Can't say i've ever heard Radio 2 play a new song and not say who it is.

If you do need this information it's all in the Radio 2 website.
  • Options
    SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,247
    Forum Member
    Station ID wrote: »
    Can't say i've ever heard Radio 2 play a new song and not say who it is.

If you do need this information it's all in the Radio 2 website.

Steve Wright is the worst culprit. Yes there is the website but I listen at work and by the time I get home I struggle to match what I remember to the playlist. I know it's not impossible, just that it's not as straightforward as a well stocked shelf or the John Peel show.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    6 Music doesn't play chart music. Alot of the recent stuff on Radio 2 isn't chart music either. New or recent music doesn't necessarily equal chart music.

When I look at the top 20 I reckon about a third of the tracks are on or have been on the R2 playlist though it's also true that chart hits are a fraction of the station's playlist in any one week.

In answer to another poster the odd 50's track does get played in daytime though not many. R2 doesn't totally avoid heavy rock with both AC/DC + the Black Star Riders currently on the playlist

Personally I think the station has a decent match.
  • Options
    merrim01merrim01 Posts: 2,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yea overall it's doing well I think, like I say I'm not ready for it yet but if I had to listen for a few hours it wouldn't bother me especially knowing I'd still hear quite a bit of new stuff. My Mum & Dad are in their 50s, if I'm ever in the car with them they will happily listen to Radio 1. I think my Dad has listened to it all his life and never switched off. We both miss Dave Pearce though :) Nice that Jo Whiley got a show on Radio 2 after her Radio 1 departure, she will always be a big supporter of new music and whilst you might say she think's she's still on Radio 1 because of that, it's something you can't take away from her as she is passionate about what she plays.
  • Options
    RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amara wrote: »
    Johnnie Walker does Sounds of the 70's which doesn't feature new stuff off the playlist.

Sorry but I really aren't interested in the new music nowadays I have heard some of them on other stations but find they have little appeal.

By new music I am assuming you mean pop, but there is new music in other musical genres too such as jazz, folk, country, blues which Radio 2 plays.

As to the playlist it is a good variety of artists. Which other radio station has AC/DC, Neil Diamond on the playlist alongside George Ezra and Ellie Goulding?
    Steve Wright is the worst culprit. Yes there is the website but I listen at work and by the time I get home I struggle to match what I remember to the playlist. I know it's not impossible, just that it's not as straightforward as a well stocked shelf or the John Peel show.

The music for Steve's show is listed for each day and in the order played, so surely it can't be that difficult to find the song you need as you can eliminate the old songs you know and have a rough idea of where in the list (timewise) it should be.
    I agree that Steve Wright is bad at giving song/artist details though. He tends to say when it's a well known song and artist but not for less well known stuff. "Yes Steve I know that is "Happy" " by Pharrell. I'd have had to have been living under a rock for the last year to not know that. :D
  • Options
    merrim01merrim01 Posts: 2,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve Wright does tend to talk all over the music too I think to fit everything in, I do like his show but I don't like songs being cut off by chat.
  • Options
    simonk243simonk243 Posts: 3,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    merrim01 wrote: »
    Steve Wright does tend to talk all over the music too I think to fit everything in, I do like his show but I don't like songs being cut off by chat.

Steve Wright is still stuck in the 80s with his show it sounds the same now it did 25+ years ago on radio1 😠 I cannot stand him he isn't funny and talks far too much