Options

'The Lost Honour of Christopher Jefferies' -ITV drama about Joanna Yeates

Comments

• Options
    Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    Well I thought it was powerful , and well acted. Deserves a few awards.

Agree Benji, it was damn good and thought provoking. We rarely see the personal side of someone accused and lambasted in the press before even before being charged and then subsequently not charged.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs Teapot wrote: »
    Agree Benji, it was damn good and thought provoking. We rarely see the personal side of someone accused and lambasted in the press before even before being charged and then subsequently not charged.

I see from the article posted above that he feels fortunate. He perhaps feels vindicated when he was given a voice to speak out about the terrible injustice he suffered. I suppose many never get that sort of closure. And I'm sure there are many victims out there who are unheard. It was thought provoking. And makes me even more cynical about stories in the press.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Espresso wrote: »
    Christopher Jefferies was involved in the making of this programme, so if he didn't kick about that aspect of the portrayal, then it's not for anyone else to, really.
    He's the one who should know best after all.

Pretty sure there's a link early in the thread where he had something to say about that.
    I've seen very, very little of the real man on camera, so can't say.

I suspect some of the mannerisms are overdone, if so they're not required.
    Obviously there's enough there, without adding anything to it.
  • Options
    blackcat1blackcat1 Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    An absolutely superb , moving drama . Just watched both episodes back to back , that poor man was hung out to dry by the media .
  • Options
    jtnorthjtnorth Posts: 5,081
    Forum Member
    I thought it was excellent - terribly upsetting events though. I thought they did a great job of bringing home what a nightmare it would be to have the press after you, how wrong, and not forgetting the girl who died either. I thought Jason Watkins was wonderful - very touching. I also thought his lawyers and his friend were very good.
  • Options
    Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Espresso wrote: »
    Christopher Jefferies was involved in the making of this programme, so if he didn't kick about that aspect of the portrayal, then it's not for anyone else to, really.
    He's the one who should know best after all.

Whether he was happy with the performance is not the point, this is my opinion. And I base that on the extensive media coverage and interviews with the man himself, and that is clearly NOT how Jeffries was.

Secondly, why do you assume he was happy with the way he was portrayed? When such programmes are made there are contracts, agreements, clauses and stipulations made by the programme makers to ensure they have the freedom to make it the way they want. And there will always be changes and compromises with such 'factual' dramas.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    hansue wrote: »
    I realised that. It was Terry45 I was getting at.

I just wanted to make that clear, as somehow the quote got mixed up and I wanted to disassociate myself from it.. I read papers myself and I know I'm not scum.
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://youtu.be/AsZnfi5oM5o

Here's the real Christopher Jefferies speaking to ITV News, if you watch this you can see the portrayal is almost spot on.
  • Options
    ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems almost wrong to say it because it's real lives but a fantastic, thought provoking programme.

Deserves all of the praise it has received, Jason Watkins was brilliant. Shame its viewing figures aren't great though. I just hope the press are never allowed to do that to someone in the future.

I didn't think the viewing figures would be particularly good. Not because the mainstream press haven't exactly hyped it, but because for some reason these illuminating, piercing dramas often tend to get higher critical acclaim than ratings. I remember when ITV showed a riveting drama about the tragic Jean Claude de Menezes shooting at Stockwell, the ratings were disappointing. Seems soap and fiction sells better, people just don't want to take the red pill.
  • Options
    Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »

Here's the real Christopher Jefferies speaking to ITV News, if you watch this you can see the portrayal is almost spot on.

You're kidding, right?
  • Options
    owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    Kat1985 wrote: »

Thanks for the link. I found it very interesting. I lived two doors away from Quentin Crisp in London. He was different, eccentric, gentle and courageous in the face of ridicule. He had his own quiet dignity.

As did and does Mr Jefferies.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Excellently portrayed by Jason Watkins. Striking resemblence.
  • Options
    sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    This is the best drama I've seen on TV all year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    I see from the article posted above that he feels fortunate. He perhaps feels vindicated when he was given a voice to speak out about the terrible injustice he suffered. I suppose many never get that sort of closure. And I'm sure there are many victims out there who are unheard. It was thought provoking. And makes me even more cynical about stories in the press.

I am always very cynical about the papers Benji, I will not buy them and have not done for years. I believe he had the brains to fight them, a light bulb moment and well done to him.

I noted on the credits that he is still involved with justice against the press.
  • Options
    davie1924davie1924 Posts: 2,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the most powerful things I've seen on tv in years. Hats off to all involved, including the family of poor girl for allowing the programme to be made.
  • Options
    victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think his voice intonations and tone are very well done. But feel looking at news reports and interviews the real Christopher is much more direct and steely than portrayed in the drama.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Shine Andy, that is so spot on and unbelievable to coin a phrase.
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My what a damn good portrayal of him.
  • Options
    researchshirleyresearchshirley Posts: 2,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was incredibly affecting, brilliantly acted and a wonderful script. Great stuff. Jason Watkins really should win awards for this.
  • Options
    researchshirleyresearchshirley Posts: 2,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    victor mel wrote: »
    I think his voice intonations and tone are very well done. But feel looking at news reports and interviews the real Christopher is much more direct and steely than portrayed in the drama.

Yes but remember that by the time of that interview he will have become much more familiar and comfortable with being in the public eye. He probably would have had some media training too.
  • Options
    academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    was it ever explained why his car was turned around ? did the neighbor get it wrong ?

Tabac lied about that to shift the blame to Christopher.
  • Options
    butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Enjoyed the first episode, but the second one is well off the boil, I'm afraid...
  • Options
    owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    My what a damn good portrayal of him.

Right down to the flexible fingers which were shown from the beginning.

I don't think he's on the Autistic Spectrum whatsoever. I do think as a poster upthread said, he may be an ascetic. He's entitled and until this literally was dumped on his doorstep he was living a calm and fulfilled life.

I loved the brief scene where the press lined up and declared themselves guilty.

I despise them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kat1985 wrote: »

Reading the comments on the review, it's obvious that our reviewer was in a minority and in fact sounded like a journalist with an axe to grind.
This discussion has been closed.