Options

Vodafone Voice Codec

DangerMouseUKDangerMouseUK Posts: 12
Forum Member
Heya,

Has anyone noticed the voice codec clarity getting a lot better recently ?

Sounds like they are trialling wideband audio in London. (Or maybe launched it, I dunno)

Noticed it on a call to another Vodafone user, and on another call, can't remember where it was terminating.

Anyone got any info on that ?

Comments

• Options
    sethpetsethpet Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    Vodafone have launched HD Voice it seems, I was told this by CPW.

Others on here have had similar information.
  • Options
    paulkerpaulker Posts: 927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heya,

Sounds like they are trialling wideband audio in London. (Or maybe launched it, I dunno)

Noticed it on a call to another Vodafone user, and on another call, can't remember where it was terminating.

Hd voice on Vodafone has been mentioned recently. I haven't experienced it though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It definitely sounded like a wideband call the Voda 2 Voda call.

There was nothing on the internet.

Having said that I'm not entirely fussed would rather they sort out their backhaul, site congestion, etc etc.

But still, be nice if they get it working.

(I'm based in London btw)
  • Options
    paulkerpaulker Posts: 927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It definitely sounded like a wideband call the Voda 2 Voda call.

There was nothing on the internet.

Having said that I'm not entirely fussed would rather they sort out their backhaul, site congestion, etc etc.

But still, be nice if they get it working.

(I'm based in London btw)

I would have thought vodafones network in London would be upgraded with new equipment etc. A lot of Glasgow has but it's still ongoing. I'm on 4g but I also find 3G good too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well lets see if they start rolling it out to the rest of the UK or they were just trialling it around London.

Would make more sense for them to trial it up near Newbury if they were just doing a small trial. So maybe its part of a wider roll out.
  • Options
    mrMickmrMick Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now all we need is cross network HD Voice ;-)
  • Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    They've soft launched AMR-WB in selected areas based on what I've been told.
  • Options
    mrMickmrMick Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    They've soft launched AMR-WB in selected areas based on what I've been told.

I think that's compatible with GSM isn't it??
  • Options
    enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it can be done over 2G not sure if Vodafone are doing it over 2G though most networks do it only on 3G. Anyone who is curious about cross network HDVoice should be aware last year that Orange pledged to enable on there 2G networks and work out cross network support. Only problem is I'm not sure if this includes EE or not but EE have mentioned they are investing in calls so it likely is including EE.

Btw my useless information of the week first network to have HDVoice was actually Orange Moldova in September 09.
  • Options
    qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heya,

Existing thread on this subject already:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1948919