Options

The original 1969 Randall and Hopkirk; who remembers it?

Comments

• Options
    snotrageatersnotrageater Posts: 641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Edwin Astley was " the daddy" of the theme tunes

Apparently BBC2 showed a documentary about him around 2001 called Astleys Way and I never saw it.

BBC4 should give it a rerun although I fear the cost for ITC show clips could be a stumbling block.
    I've not seen it but I assume its filled with ITC clips
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I concur with your comments Canal also have got the rights to some of the carry on films that were not made by The Rank library (the films made by Anglo - Algamated)

I believe Anglo Amalgamated along with a host of other British studios like British Lion etc all ended up with Thorn EMI, and Canal+ basically ineherited a vast catalogue of films from many companies by buying EMI

The Man Who Haunted Himself , Twisted Nerve and a good amount of Hammer films to name just a few
  • Options
    essexpeteessexpete Posts: 9,210
    Forum Member
    Loved that Monty Python bit The Bishop think that was a sendup of ITC series
  • Options
    TabbythecatTabbythecat Posts: 33,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently BBC2 showed a documentary about him around 2001 called Astleys Way and I never saw it.

BBC4 should give it a rerun although I fear the cost for ITC show clips could be a stumbling block.

And if you didnt know Edwin Astley at one point was Pete "the Who" Townshend's father-in-law (bit of Tabby trivia)
  • Options
    TabbythecatTabbythecat Posts: 33,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    essexpete wrote: »
    Loved that Monty Python bit The Bishop think that was a sendup of ITC series

you mean this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDnE-5lD7w8
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What is the relevance to the cost of showing R&H?

A couple of clicks to see what forum members regular viewing is can be useful as to why they post such odd opinions.

As you can see this is generally an appreciation for the show which stands up better than any of todays modern rubbish ever will and now we know you don't like it anymore you can go and talk about Corrie

1) Take it in context of my original post. Read it again!!!:rolleyes:

2) Odd opinions?? How arrogant to say that people's opinions are odd just because they do not concur with your own!

3) Not your thread. You cannot tell anyone where they should or should not post. This comment only confirms your arrogance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    amysmum wrote: »
    1) Take it in context of my original post. Read it again!!!:rolleyes:

2) Odd opinions?? How arrogant to say that people's opinions are odd just because they do not concur with your own!

3) Not your thread. You cannot tell anyone where they should or should not post. This comment only confirms your arrogance.

I'm only arrogant when confronted with someone who posts such drivel.

It's a 41 year old series , it stands up today and its no cheaper to repeat than something that was made in 2009 so your comments are uninformed nonsense.
    You said it was repeated because it was cheap-which is utter rubbish.

You think it does not stand up - you are entitled to your opinion which clearly does not concur with the general consensus so why not go and worry about something you do like instead of wasting your time posting about something you don't like anymore.

You said it had not aged well - its aged as well as Spartacus.
    The show is old enough now to be viewed in its historical setting rather than being current
  • Options
    womer_ukwomer_uk Posts: 496
    Forum Member
    ironjade wrote: »
    I've never understood why the US retitled it. Did their broadcasters assume all their viewers were thick and not the least bit curious to find out the meaning of the title?
    If this were the case "Ironside" would've been "Fat Cripple Fights Crime".

I believe it's due to the fact American English doesn't use the word, "Deceased"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Talking about selling it to the Americans, I noticed an interesting little point when I was watching an episode. Two English characters were talking to each other about another character's telephone number, and one of them said, "It's ex-directory, unlisted". It only struck me then that someone must have been going through the scripts, checking them for terms unfamiliar to Americans, and making little changes, like adding the American term "unlisted".
  • Options
    Forum Member

yes thats it:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    womer_uk wrote: »
    I believe it's due to the fact American English doesn't use the word, "Deceased"

Mulder used that word in a season 4 episode of The X-Files that I watched this week
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flobadob wrote: »
    Talking about selling it to the Americans, I noticed an interesting little point when I was watching an episode. Two English characters were talking to each other about another character's telephone number, and one of them said, "It's ex-directory, unlisted". It only struck me then that someone must have been going through the scripts, checking them for terms unfamiliar to Americans, and making little changes, like adding the American term "unlisted".

All that trouble for nothing.
    The show never sold to the US initially and didn't appear there until 1972
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 315
    Forum Member
    Kenneth Cope's sons were in the popular 80s/90s band The Candyskins.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Little man wrote: »
    Kenneth Cope's sons were in the popular 80s/90s band The Candyskins.

never heard of them:D
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It was presented by Jools Holland (who normally makes me reach for the off switch) who rounded it off with a great performance of High Wire (Danger Man).:cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gideons Way definitely was repeated but I've not seen any listings for it after ITV went into colour.
    Even Bravo never showed it although it was aired in Australia ad infinitum like most other ITC shows which is where I got my recordings in the early 90's.

As a time capsule of the era in which it was made its possibly the most deserved of a repeat as the stories stand up today and when you think about what Dock Green and Z-Cars were doing at that time GW not being aired is criminal.

The production stands up and the only problem is being in B&W but even more than the B&W Saint I think a BBC4 airing for Gideons Way would open the eyes for a good many viewers .

I was certainly surprised when I first saw my recordings all those years ago.

The great John Gregson , interesting stories , a guest star list to die for and another fab Edwin Astley theme tune.

SNE When Granada+ screened Man In a Suitcase for the last time [about seven years ago], four of the episodes were ones intended for French TV as the intros and end credts were in French, [L'Homme a la Valise] and no episode titles. They mustn't have been able to get English tapes I have all the eps from that 2003 screening.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ironjade wrote: »
    It's a shame Gideon's Way didn't have the long shelf life of other ITC shows. This is probably down to it being in black and white and also using a realistic, then-contemporary setting, both of which make it look more dated than it really is.
    The stories and performances are excellent and the visual impression is more that of a documentary than a drama. The police techniques on show make me wonder how they ever caught anyone!
    It also features the seemingly obligatory appearance of Donald Sutherland.:)
    It has never been repeated to my knowledge and DVD is the only way to see it now.

It was a film orginally, starring Jack Hawkins and called Gideon's Day i believe
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You said it had not aged well - its aged as well as Spartacus.
    The show is old enough now to be viewed in its historical setting rather than being current

Spartacus???????:confused:

If you are refering to the Spartacus - Blood and Sand programme that was recently shown, and I have posted comments about, well ........er......... that was a remake, made in 2009, so I am not surprised that it has aged well!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Perhaps you are commenting on something you have not watched????:rolleyes::rolleyes:
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I believe Anglo Amalgamated along with a host of other British studios like British Lion etc all ended up with Thorn EMI, and Canal+ basically ineherited a vast catalogue of films from many companies by buying EMI

The Man Who Haunted Himself , Twisted Nerve and a good amount of Hammer films to name just a few
    The Man Who Haunted Himself was a great film, best thing Roger Moore has done.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SNE When Granada+ screened Man In a Suitcase for the last time [about seven years ago], four of the episodes were ones intended for French TV as the intros and end credts were in French, [L'Homme a la Valise] and no episode titles. They mustn't have been able to get English tapes I have all the eps from that 2003 screening.

Yes G+ had some odd prints for various ITC repeats.
    When they showed a handful of episodes from The Baron they even had the sponsor message left in so after the credits there was a voiceover saying "The Baron is brought to you by....." clearly aimed at US tv.
    Some even had the US ABC Presentation logo at the end .
    However , some of these oddities are also included on The Baron dvd boxset , so decent prints must be hard to come by.
    Spartacus???????:confused:

If you are refering to the Spartacus - Blood and Sand programme that was recently shown, and I have posted comments about, well ........er......... that was a remake, made in 2009, so I am not surprised that it has aged well!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Perhaps you are commenting on something you have not watched????:rolleyes::rolleyes:

If I had meant Spartacus Blood and Sand I would have said so.:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    I was referring to the film from 1960.:rolleyes:

Wouldn't be surprised if you were unaware of the Kirk Douglas classic
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    The Man Who Haunted Himself was a great film, best thing Roger Moore has done.

Not sure I would say its the best thing he's ever done but it was pretty good although I had difficulty accepting Moore as the bowler hatted brolly carrying City gent he plays .

I watched it on dvd only last week for the first time in years.
    Not sure if the UK dvd included it but the US disc has commentary from Moore and the uncredited screen writer Brian Forbes .
    The commentary has some grim trivia: the films director Basil Dearden was almost beheaded when he was killed in a car accident about 18 months later along the very same stretch of road where the Pelham crash was shot (A40 Westway IIRC) on his way home after a days filming on The Persuaders.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If I had meant Spartacus Blood and Sand I would have said so.:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    I was referring to the film from 1960.:rolleyes:

Wouldn't be surprised if you were unaware of the Kirk Douglas classic

Of course you were. :rolleyes: Bit of a coincidence then that you mentioned Spartacus, a programme I had commented on, on another thread, as you seem to have gone to the trouble to read my other posts through the profile page.

You previously asked me about the relevance of one of my posts - what is the relevance to Spartacus on this thread?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course you were. :rolleyes: Bit of a coincidence then that you mentioned Spartacus, a programme I had commented on, on another thread, as you seem to have gone to the trouble to read my other posts through the profile page.

You previously asked me about the relevance of one of my posts - what is the relevance to Spartacus on this thread?

You still here?
    I was not aware that you had made comments on the Spartacus tv show - I only looked through your first page of posts and it was enough to see you watch Corrie without going any further.

Why would I compare to the tv show that I've not seen anyway?:confused::rolleyes:

I picked Spartacus out of thin air as something that was set in a historical time to show that R&H has not aged at all unless you watch it in a contemporary context.

Although thats how it was made , it's now old enough to be viewed as simply being set in the 60's , rather like Heartbeat.

So Randall having to look for a phonebox all the time instead of using a mobile is now part and parcel of what it was like in 1969.

You've never actually explained why you think it's not aged well

Edit- thinking about it - had I actually been referring to the Spartacus tv show , my point remains valid.
    That is set in a historical setting but you can't say it's aged and I would say the same about R&H.

Or are you referring to production techniques and some of the limitations of the time in that area?
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    essexpete wrote: »
    It was a film orginally, starring Jack Hawkins and called Gideon's Day i believe

Gideon was the central character in a series of books by J. J. Marric, one of John Creasey's 28 pseudonyms. I haven't read many of them but I think the tv series used some of John Creasey's plots.
    The movie was directed by John Ford, one of his non-Western outings. Jack Hawkins makes a pretty good Gideon but John Gregson really made the part his own.
  • Options
    PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why not buy the episodes on proper dvd?
    The ITV4 versions are all missing between 3 and 4 minutes each .
    The dvd boxset also has 4 episodes with the original opening credits seen on the ITV broadcasts of the 70's but then lost until 2000.
    The dvd boxset also has a couple of nice documentaries.
    One reunites Annette Andre and Kenneth Cope and the other is a tribute to Mike Pratt who died in 1976 , so he was never able to see just how appreciated the series was despite ITV's best efforts to bury it when it was first on.

Production values were far higher than most British tv shows at the time simply by being made on 35mm film which is why it stands up today and why its suitable for a Bluray release.

It's not as glossy and colourful as The Champions or The Persuaders but then its not supposed to be .
    It's about a hard up downtrodden PI who can't afford to pay his bills.

R&H is my fave British series of all time.
    I finally got round to watching the first episode of the remake a few weeks ago but I've not watched anymore yet.
    The arrival of Tom Baker as someone from the world where Marty lives sounds really crap but I will give it another go soon.

The series is generally seen as the most popular of all the ITC shows of that era.
    ITV repeated it in the mid 80's and it was the first ITC show aired by the BBC after the Gerry Anderson series .
    But its been done to death on ITV4

Thanks for this info snot. Although I've recorded all the episodes from ITV4 I didn't know they lopped 3 to 4 mins off each episode so I'll definitely be buying the box set. I'm also recording all the episodes of the Saint and Minder from ITV4 so hope they haven't cut any time off these. But as you say ITV4 are now repeating them ad nauseaum.
    I must ask ITV4 if they will show the Black and White episodes of the Saint but maybe they're afraid many people won't watch Black and White today. I think most people would.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paace wrote: »
    Thanks for this info snot. Although I've recorded all the episodes from ITV4 I didn't know they lopped 3 to 4 mins off each episode so I'll definitely be buying the box set. I'm also recording all the episodes of the Saint and Minder from ITV4 so hope they haven't cut any time off these. But as you say ITV4 are now repeating them ad nauseaum.
    I must ask ITV4 if they will show the Black and White episodes of the Saint but maybe they're afraid many people won't watch Black and White today. I think most people would.
    B&W is a no no for drama on tv today although they don't seem to care when it comes to half hour comedy.

The B&W Saint are very much better than the colour ones because they are all based on stories by Leslie Charteris whereas most of the colour ones are written by the regular ITC hacks.

Very little chance of ITV showing them but there is a great dvd boxset with all 71 in - treat yourself.

It often pops up in sales for under £40.

Bad news about your other shows. They are all cut .
    I don't think you'll see an uncut ITC show on ITV4.
    Whats more annoying is their laziness.

They prepare an edit for their regular 1 hour slot that runs for between 45 and 46 minutes usually , but in the early morning slots they sometimes give a show 65 minutes , other times it can be 3 in the morning and no ads and yet they can't be bothered to change the tape and run the complete episode.
    Even the version on the ad free Virgin TV Catchup service is the edited one.

I've caught the end of some shows and the end credits have been removed in their entirety.

The Randall episodes I've seen have always had the end credits cut in half as they run for over a minute.

I think you'll find Minder is cut even more as are The Professionals and The Sweeney .

Most ITC shows run between 48 and 49 minutes but some are 50 minutes and other ITV series like The Sweeney and The Professionals and Minder also run to 50 minutes and longer so are even more cut than Randall or The Saint.