Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 8) (Merged)

Comments

• Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,690
    Forum Member
    Charnham wrote: »
    The Wright Stuff reminds me alot of Five Live discussion shows, I remeber one week listening to Richard Bacon on Five Live, discussing the papers, and waking up in the morning seeing him discussing the same papers on Five.

Im not knocking The Wright Stuff, im almost suggesting Richard Bacon take over.

Kaye Adams has sat in for both Richard Bacon & Matthew Wright, I know she is ex Loose Women, but she done well, she is another option.

Heck im wondering how well Bacon & Adams would get on, as hosts of a revamped Live from Studio Five.
    So many possibilities. It seems Chiles' BBC departure could trigger a whole load of TV personalities "switching sides" in the coming weeks and months.

But let's hope broadcasters don't forget about Ben Shephard. First he didn't get The X Factor gig despite his sterling work on The Xtra Factor, and now this. He's actually by far one of the more likeable ITV presenters. I would rate him a lot higher than Vernon Kay and Chris Tarrant.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    So many possibilities. It seems Chiles' BBC departure could trigger a whole load of TV personalities "switching sides" in the coming weeks and months.
    there are certianly people out there who could fill Chiles slot, and those peoples jobs can be filled as well.

I dont know if Bacon is right for The One Show, but he could replace Matthew Wright on The Wright Stuff with ease.

Stephen Nolan, could fit in on The One Show as well.
  • Options
    CentCent Posts: 26,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wright Stuff reminds me alot of Five Live discussion shows, I remeber one week listening to Richard Bacon on Five Live, discussing the papers, and waking up in the morning seeing him discussing the same papers on Five.

Im not knocking The Wright Stuff, im almost suggesting Richard Bacon take over.

Kaye Adams has sat in for both Richard Bacon & Matthew Wright, I know she is ex Loose Women, but she done well, she is another option.

Heck im wondering how well Bacon & Adams would get on, as hosts of a revamped Live from Studio Five.
    Kaye Adams has her own morning radio show on BBC Radio Scotland now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cent wrote: »
    Kaye Adams has her own morning radio show on BBC Radio Scotland now.
    but it isnt TV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but it isnt TV.
    But it is a contract and it is in her home town.
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What Sky bids for will be interesting because their two top rating shows, Lost and 24, will be ending in the next few weeks. They are obviously going to try and find something to replace them long term.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But it is a contract and it is in her home town.
    fair point about it being in her home town, and yeah contracts can be tricky to get out of.
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stephen Nolan, could fit in on The One Show as well.

I somehow doubt that. Unless they want to take it down the Jeremy Kyle route?
  • Options
    newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    I really hope Ben Shepherd doesn't get the One Show gig, He's AWFUL on Krypton Factor, and has zero personality. Chiles was good as he had the whole grumpy thing going on, you need someone who has opinions and a personality, Shepherd while easy on the eye is a bit of a wet fish.
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    But let's hope broadcasters don't forget about Ben Shephard. First he didn't get The X Factor gig despite his sterling work on The Xtra Factor, and now this. He's actually by far one of the more likeable ITV presenters. I would rate him a lot higher than Vernon Kay and Chris Tarrant.

Personality of a wet lettuce. The Krypton Factor, Dancing On Ice Friday, that karaoke show, they all tanked.
  • Options
    gottagogottago Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    satman5000 wrote: »
    Yes, you can read about it in a book called 'Channel 4 A Licence to be Different' it's by Maggy Brown a contributor to the Guardian
    That's the book! It really is a superb read.
  • Options
    Arthur CucumberArthur Cucumber Posts: 491
    Forum Member
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    Personality of a wet lettuce. The Krypton Factor, Dancing On Ice Friday, that karaoke show, they all tanked.

I concur. Let's not forget Dance X. :D
  • Options
    The Unknown OneThe Unknown One Posts: 21,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With reference to previous discussions over coverage of the Commonwealth Games later this year (and any implications it might have for TV ratings), Ofcom has received a request from the BBC for consent to broadcast the games - http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/commonwealth/
  • Options
    soupnazisoupnazi Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »

Agreed. Ben has no track record to suggest that viewers even like him. And on the Xtra Factor he took it way too seriously. Everyone whose hosted it since him has done a better job.

He was good on Entertainment Today. But he's been out of his depth ever since he replaced Eamonn on the main sofa. Clearly the new GMTV bosses agree.
  • Options
    BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes he would be a good choice, ive always liked The Wright Stuff, he is the right kinda guy as well.
    I'm not sure he'd quit though. Yes, it's probably 5 times the number of viewers, but The Wright Stuff is his show and is critically fairly well received too - and he can probably get more cash out of Five than the BBC.
    Glee could slow the timeline down.

I think That 70s Show slowed theirs down to almost 1 episode covering a few days just to keep them within the 1970s after 8 seasons.

It starts getting complicated when you do that though.
    Well hasn't Heartbeat been in 1969 for about a decade. Yeah, I guess they could slow the timeline down (something I think Skins should have done to have each generation span three series rather than two). I think too some of the cast, like Finn, are supposed to be "seniors", whilst Rachel is in her freshman year. Obviously they'll keep failing Finn to keep him in, but ultimately I think it'll either wrap up after around 4 series (as many FOX series tend to do) or go on and on just getting worse and worse.
    With reference to previous discussions over coverage of the Commonwealth Games later this year (and any implications it might have for TV ratings), Ofcom has received a request from the BBC for consent to broadcast the games - http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/commonwealth/
    Thank god for that. Roger Mosey let slip on his blog this week he was heading out for a "Commonwealth broadcasters conference", so I suspected we'd get news soon.

Delhi is 4 and a half hours ahead, so most events will be afternoon our time. I suspect then highlights will be on BBC2 around 7pm, so not really impacting on primetime.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve Rider , ruthlessly replaced yesterday by Adrian Chiles as the football face of ITV, is understood to be considering legal action.

Rider, who joined ITV in 2005, seems to have a strong case as it is believed his £500,000-a-year contract states that he will be the No 1 football presenter for ITV at the World Cup. Now he won't be going to South Africa and the £1m-a-year Chiles will front the tournament coverage as well as their England, Champions League and FA Cup games.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1267337/CHARLES-SALE-Carlo-Ancelotti-finds-good-talk.html#ixzz0leHAweoO
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brekkie wrote: »

Well hasn't Heartbeat been in 1969 for about a decade. Yeah, I guess they could slow the timeline down (something I think Skins should have done to have each generation span three series rather than two). I think too some of the cast, like Finn, are supposed to be "seniors", whilst Rachel is in her freshman year. Obviously they'll keep failing Finn to keep him in, but ultimately I think it'll either wrap up after around 4 series (as many FOX series tend to do) or go on and on just getting worse and worse.

I suppose it's possible and luckily the kids in the show do look like High School kids with some exceptions but I do think doing a 'Skins' could work if they keep the adults.

I do wish that they would showcase more of Matthew Morrison/Schu as he's clearly very talented in singing, acting, dancing but understandly it's the kids who get the most exposure.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:D

Good news!
  • Options
    gottagogottago Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soupnazi wrote: »
    Agreed. Ben has no track record to suggest that viewers even like him. And on the Xtra Factor he took it way too seriously.
    Oh yes, he was awful on the Xtra Factor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jonwo wrote: »
    I suppose it's possible and luckily the kids in the show do look like High School kids with some exceptions but I do think doing a 'Skins' could work if they keep the adults.

I do wish that they would showcase more of Matthew Morrison/Schu as he's clearly very talented in singing, acting, dancing but understandly it's the kids who get the most exposure.

He's talented, but I cringe at most of the R'n'B stuff they've done with him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking at last night's ratings Ladies of Letters got 327,000 on ITV3 at 10pm - wasn't it getting double that for the first series?

Also according to Media Guardian Five will air an updated version of the National Geographic documentary about the 1982 plane that flew into Volcanic Ash tomorrow night - but IMO rather foolishly they're putting it at 10pm instead of a CSI:NY repeat rather than earlier in primetime where I think it would attract a better audience.
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also according to Media Guardian Five will air an updated version of the National Geographic documentary about the 1982 plane that flew into Volcanic Ash tomorrow night - but IMO rather foolishly they're putting it at 10pm instead of a CSI:NY repeat rather than earlier in primetime where I think it would attract a better audience.

They would normally show it 8pm but they have a documentary about the Ipswich Murders which is good timing considering Five Daughters airs a few days later and they don't want to push it back a week and it will air after NCIS which will provide a good lead in.

I'm sure that documentary's been on before because I remember watching it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nat Geo itself was due to air a documentary about this tonight:
    Air Crash Investigation
    10:00pm on Nat Geo

All Engines Failed!: In 1982, a British Airways jet plunged toward the ocean after flying through volcanic ash from an eruption. Could the crew restart the engines and avert a catastrophe?

But it now looks like they will air a different episode:
    DOCUMENTARY: Air Crash Investigation
    On: National Geographic
    Date: Tuesday 20th April 2010 (starting in 5 hours and 19 minutes)
    Time: 22:00 to 23:00 (1 hour long)

Beach Crash.
    While cruising at 35,000 feet, the third engine of a Northwest flight separated from the plane, forcing the 145 passengers and crew to prepare for an emergency landing.
    (Stereo, New Episode, Widescreen)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=87587

Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monday 19th April 2010 - Multichannel Ratings
    BBC Three
    19:00 - Total Wipeout: 0.34m (1.6%)
    20:00 - The Real Hustle on Holiday: 0.23m (1.0%)
    20:30 - Snog Marry Avoid?: 0.35m (1.5%)
    21:00 - Gavin and Stacey : 0.60m (2.5%)
    21:30 - Russell Howard's Good News: 0.37m (1.6%)
    22:00 - EastEnders: 0.77m (3.9%)

BBC Four
    19:30 - Ian Hislop's Scouting for Boys: 0.15m (0.7%)
    21:00 - The Beauty of Maps: 0.45m (1.9%)
    22:00 - Goldsmiths: But Is it Art?: 0.14m (0.6%)

ITV2
    20:00 - You've Been Framed Extreme!: 0.45m (1.9%)
    21:00 - Hell's Kitchen USA: 0.48m (2.0%)

ITV3
    22:00 - Ladies of Letters: 0.33m (1.6%)

ITV4
    15:15 - Cricket: Indian Premier League Live: 0.17m (1.3%)
    21:00 - The Prisoner: 0.17m (0.7%)

E4
    19:00 - Hollyoaks: 0.34m (1.7%)
    19:30 - My Name Is Earl: 0.16m (0.8%)
    20:00 - Friends: 0.30m (1.3%)
    20:30 - Friends: 0.47m (2.0%)
    21:00 - Glee: 1.60m (6.5%)
    * +1: 0.35m (1.9%)
    22:00 - The Cleveland Show: 0.53m (2.6%)
    22:30 - King of the Hill: 0.14m (0.9%)

Fiver
    18:30 - Home and Away: 0.57m (3%)
    19:00 - Neighbours: 0.17m (0.8%)

Sky1
    19:00 - The Simpsons: 0.47m (2.4%)
    19:30 - The Simpsons: 0.51m (2.4%)
    20:00 - UK Border Force: 0.17m (0.7%)
    21:00 - Steve Jones in The Jones Boys'...: 0.12m (0.5%)
    22:00 - NCIS: Los Angeles: 0.28m (1.5%)

Sky Sports 1
    19:30 - Live Football League: 0.29m (1.3%)

Sky Movies Premiere
    21:00 - The Pacific: 0.37m

Dave
    20:00 - Top Gear: 0.10m (0.4%)
    21:00 - QI XL: 0.31m (1.3%)

Virgin 1
    22:00 - Trauma: 0.20m (1.1%)

Comedy Central
    22:00 - 30 Rock: 0.06m (0.3%)
    22:30 - 30 Rock: 0.04m (0.3%)

Living
    20:00 - Australia's Next Top Model: 0.04m (0.02%)
    21:00 - Four Weddings: 0.31m (1.3%)

And two more for Channel 4...

23:05 - Comedy Lab: iCandy: 0.27m (2.7%)
    * +1: 38,000 (0.7%)
    23:40 - Comedy Lab: Happy Finish: 0.17m (2.4%)
    * +1: 26,000 (0.8%)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    E4 have let go of Friends too soon.

What other repeats could they put there that would average nearly 400k across the hour? Earl can't even manage half that at 7.30.

Maybe The Big Bang Theory but they need to build up a bigger stack of episodes first otherwise it will be too repetitive a cycle.
This discussion has been closed.