Vegan Christmas food

2»

Comments

• Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    Vegan turkey, gravy, cream, butter, cheese, milk. All the normal ingredients of everyone else's Christmas dinner.
    Persuade me.

The vegan "turkey" or whatever is just a separate item that you stick in the oven while it's on, that's zero hassle, vegan gravy can be just a bought powder/granules and is what a lot of people use anyway without knowing its vegan. The others are just stock items that you don't need to prepare.

It's really simple if you aren't trying hard to find problems, we manage fine all the time whether visiting or having visitors and it's no real hassle. The OP was after simple solutions to her problem with Christmas dinner etc and I don't think she will have any difficulty.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    Vegan turkey, gravy, cream, butter, cheese, milk. All the normal ingredients of everyone else's Christmas dinner.
    Persuade me.

I don't think anyone wants to convert you, just to have their own choices respected too. I am wondering what a vegan turkey looks like though you have me puzzled.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sven945 wrote: »
    I've had a fair few Christmas dinners in my time and I've never had milk as part of it. But if you insist on it, you can easily get milk alternatives (soya, almond, oat milk) that require no cooking whatsoever.

Yes and if you decide to make custard with it then usually people don't know the difference or sometimes even prefer it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    I don't think anyone wants to convert you, just to have their own choices respected too. I am wondering what a vegan turkey looks like though you have me puzzled.

In the US they actually have something called a tofurkey that looks like a turkey and even has a "wishbone". Seems totally pointless to me but each to their own.
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muze wrote: »
    There are all manner of vegan nut roasts in supermarkets or health food shops, which are very tasty :)

And as said, easy enough to do vegan stuffing, roast and steamed veg.

You may not take her veganism seriously but she will respect your effort... why not ask her to help choose and a cook and vegan menu?

In what way am I not taking her veganism seriously? Ive done all sorts of meals for her when she visits but as these were summery salads they're not very useful for Christmas, also its more about all the other meals, nibbles, snacks etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why not just ask her? That way she gets exactly what she wants and you don't have to worry about it. If I was Vegan I'd be delighted to be asked.:)

Why didnt I think of that?!

Of course Ive asked her and she said, oh just get me loads of veggies, but I cant feed her on just veggies for breakfasts lunches and dinners.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    For the main course just get a vegan "roast" as a replacement for her turkey and don't use butter etc for the veggies and potatoes. We wrap vegan "bacon" strips round vegan sausages as well.

Some commercial Christmas puddings are vegan though you have to read the ingredients to know, we always make our own well before Christmas, if you make your own the vegan puds will be just as good as non vegan and other guests won't care or know. You can make custard perfectly well with soya or other non dairy milks, try it before Christmas as you might find the rest of your family prefers this to custard made with cow's milk or you can buy vegan custard, cream, ice cream etc.

For snacks that shouldn't be a problems as there are nuts etc. Most crisps except cheese flavoured are probably vegan - the reason I say "probably" is that I haven't looked in a few years as I don't like them but most (all?) smoky bacon, prawn cocktail etc flavour crisps certainly used to be vegan.

Mince pies can be a problem if you don't make your own, there are a few cheap value packs from Sainsbury and Waitrose that are vegan but most have milk powder or butter in.

We are vegans and most of the year don't go for meat substitutes etc but for Christmas at first glance our dinner doesn't look much different to a "standard" Christmas dinner, this would probably be the easiest for you. If you do it right it should be very little extra work.

Have you ever managed vegan yorkshire puds? I tried to make some last time she was down but they turned out horriblly, we used soya milk and 'no egg' egg substitute. She loves her yorkshires so would like to get this right if poss.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    Have you ever managed vegan yorkshire puds? I tried to make some last time she was down but they turned out horriblly, we used soya milk and 'no egg' egg substitute. She loves her yorkshires so would like to get this right if poss.

You could try this though it seems similar to what you've done before, it worked for us though my wife who made them is experienced at this sort of thing. http://veganrecipeclub.org.uk/vegetarian-recipe/little-vegan-yorkshire-puddings I think the key is to make sure the oven and and tray is preheated and is hot enough or they go soggy. (Actually I prefer them soggy but that's a failure for her :D).
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Of course Ive asked her and she said, oh just get me loads of veggies, but I cant feed her on just veggies for breakfasts lunches and dinners.

There are some nice looking recipes here http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/vegan-christmas
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can buy prepared Yorkshire pudding mixes http://www.alternativestores.com/vegan-vegetarian-shopping/vegan-yorkshire-pudding-mix I've never tried them.
  • Options
    Me-CheetahMe-Cheetah Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

She has made the moral choice to become a vegan, and really she should offer more advice/support than 'just give me loads of veggies.' (And she needs more than veggies to have a healthy, balanced vegan diet whether it's Christmas or not.) She should perhaps be a bit more forthcoming with her dietry requirements .

Why don't you suggest doing the shopping together, so she can point out things she likes and can eat, and then do the cooking together, make it a family thing. That way you can show support for her veganism without have the stress of trying provide something you don't seem confident in providing.

Or, if she likes Yorkshires, why doesn't she make some vegan ones for everybody?

These things work both ways, the onus isn't solely on the meat eaters to be accommodating/ understanding towards non-meat eaters ( or vice versa)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me-Cheetah wrote: »
    She has made the moral choice to become a vegan, and really she should offer more advice/support than 'just give me loads of veggies.' (And she needs more than veggies to have a healthy, balanced vegan diet whether it's Christmas or not.) She should perhaps be a bit more forthcoming with her dietry requirements .

Why don't you suggest doing the shopping together, so she can point out things she likes and can eat, and then do the cooking together, make it a family thing. That way you can show support for her veganism without have the stress of trying provide something you don't seem confident in providing.

Or, if she likes Yorkshires, why doesn't she make some vegan ones for everybody?

These things work both ways, the onus isn't solely on the meat eaters to be accommodating/ understanding towards non-meat eaters ( or vice versa)

She doesnt want me to go to too much trouble but equally I dont want her to have to provide her own food, she's a guest. We live a long way from her and she is working long hours so we cant do the shopping together. Plus I dont like people doing things in my kitchen, I like to be in charge.

In any other circumstances I would be cooking lots of different dishes but I havent been well recently and really would prefer to just buy a load of stuff that she can eat rather than make my own. The main dinner is fine, I make a lovely nut and lentil loaf, but its things like mince pies, chocolates, snacks other dinners and breakfasts.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Sven945 wrote: »
    I've had a fair few Christmas dinners in my time and I've never had milk as part of it. But if you insist on it, you can easily get milk alternatives (soya, almond, oat milk) that require no cooking whatsoever.

We have bread sauce and onion sauce and sometimes hollandaise. So i can see how easy it is to have milk in the meal.
  • Options
    jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you have a Hotel Chocolate shop near you they do Vegan Chocolate. My son drinks hot chocolate made with soya milk - the chocolate comes in a bar which he buys in his local health shop, will look up the name.
    Look in the "free from " aisle in your local supermarket for biscuits and snacks.

This is the Asda Free From page -- http://groceries.asda.com/asda-webstore/landing/home.shtml?cmpid=ahc-_-ghs-d1-_-asdacom-dsk-_-hp#/search/Free%20from

Edit - the chocolate is Hasslachers Solid Bar Colombian Drinking Chocolate and is available in Supermarkets and M & S.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Me-Cheetah wrote: »

Couldn't agree more.
    She doesnt want me to go to too much trouble but equally I dont want her to have to provide her own food, she's a guest. We live a long way from her and she is working long hours so we cant do the shopping together. Plus I dont like people doing things in my kitchen, I like to be in charge.

In any other circumstances I would be cooking lots of different dishes but I havent been well recently and really would prefer to just buy a load of stuff that she can eat rather than make my own. The main dinner is fine, I make a lovely nut and lentil loaf, but its things like mince pies, chocolates, snacks other dinners and breakfasts.
    She may be a guest but she's family so wouldn't or shouldn't be put out for asking to bring her own food.
    She has specific dietry requirements that you are finding difficult to provide.
    She eats like this everyday so has vast knowledge and probably a load of stuff in the fridge and cupboards already.
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member

Our fridge and freezer are heaving with vegan 'meats' turkey, beef, patés,sausage rolls, pastys, duck,ham, gammon, all 100% cruelty free , you could visit your local Holland Barrett and pick up all of the same, be quick tough, the demand is very high, vbites are a great company and produce some nice things for xmas :) bisto gravy granules are vegan, you can easily make yorkies with egg replacer and soya milk as replacements.They dont rise as much but taste the same.Paxo is vegan, use trex or white flora for roasties.

It is just normal to me as all of my family apart from hubby are veggie, he is the odd one out here ;)
  • Options
    jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think OP is finding it difficult to provide for her - she asked for suggestions from people who are vegan, cater for vegans or who know what they like to eat as she wants to provide for her relative but as the OP has recently been ill wants an easier way to do this by buying instead of home made as she usually would.
  • Options
    rufusrainrufusrain Posts: 923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have tried this before at Christmas: Vbites Celebration Roast 445g

Roast, rashers & sausages:

http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-local/frameset/detail/412619_Vbites_Celebration_Roast_445g.html

Very easy for you to cook just put in oven and comes with gravy as well.