Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching and that Nicholas Lyndhurst comedy with Janet Dibley
  • Options
    ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,114
    Forum Member
    sw2963 wrote: »

I was going to say Watching. I think ITV moved Watching to Sunday nights for the last series or two. I loved Watching! And the other comedy you mentioned was The Two of Us. I used to like that too.
  • Options
    zippydoodahzippydoodah Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The Two Of Us. I use to love that show.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7xOrzrbytw
  • Options
    ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,114
    Forum Member
    Great thread. Quite touching to see who had that Sunday night dread as kids. I loved school so Sunday nights were ok but hate them now as an adult. The ominous beginning of the working week looms...

Sundays were Hart to Hart then years later boring dramas (to me as a kid) such as Heartbeat. I remember the Muppet show on Sundays.

Yes I get "the dread" now but I don't really remember getting it when I was at school except I wasn't too keen on it by the time I got to Sixth Form! But I'd rather be young again :D
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pete137 wrote: »
    The theme tune to "Thats Life" still fills me with dread to this day. Im instantly transported back to being a little boy having tea and toast before I went to bed with that feeling of monday dread ever present.

Yes I know what you mean, but I loved That's Life so it was when I knew it was in its last 10 minutes (Esther, Cyril and co doing some daft filmed piece) that I knew time was slipping away and the dread fully took form as that totally crap feeling many of us will have known before school or work (or still do maybe). Personally Im not looking forward to tomorrow-which is pretty sad as Im approaching 50.

I do also remember Ray Moore doing a radio show from 11.00 Sunday nights (late seventies) which was supposed to ease everyone into Monday-can still remember listening to the theme music to that and the first few songs trying to mask the fact that I would awake tired and with double maths ahead of me.
  • Options
    miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah yes That's Life and Watching. Remember them also The Two of Us as well. Definitely remember having tea or hot choc while watching That's Life.
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clara28 wrote: »
    The Last of the Summer wine theme tune is the most utterly depressing sound ever. I bet they use that as the lift music when sending people down to the fiery bowels of hell.

:D I did actually laugh out loud!
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still get Sunday night dread NOW! :-(
  • Options
    kezokezo Posts: 11,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Goodnight Sweetheart???
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    Always used to be Heartbeat. That was the signal for "get a wash, get ready for bed soon, you've got school tomorrow". Saying that, I can listen to that theme tune with glee now.
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HEARTBEAT

It's almost like Claude Greengrass and that stern bloke who played the police chief were subliminal reminders that you had to be back in class the following morning.
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 1986 vocal version of the Howards' Way theme filled me with dread.
  • Options
    Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    Sorry, after seeing the Saturday night listings thread I had to start this one!

Calling all 90's kids. Do you remember the buzz around Saturday night TV (blind date gladiators etc) and knowing you still had the next day off.

But on Sunday as soon as Antiques Roadshow and Songs of Praise came on you knew it was officially Sunday evening and that feeling of dread kicked in you were back to school next morning!

Its funny how you assosiate a certain feeling with a TV show.

For the rest of you what shows do you assosiate with good memories and what shows do you assosiate with bad memories?

Yep! for me Saturdays consisted of Live & Kicking or SMTV, Gazetta Football Italia then later on it was Blind Date, Gladiators, You Bet or if I was at my grandad's it was The Generation Game and Dads Army. Sundays were so boring! Corrie and Heartbeat at night with the only saving grace being Father Ted on CH4. I hated Antiques Roadshow and it would bore me to tears as I didnt have my own TV in my room back then and the parents insisted on watching it and that theme tune always reminded me of having to go up to bed in a few hours because I had dreaded school in the morning.
  • Options
    James_MonnellyJames_Monnelly Posts: 883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The depressing one was Howards way, now I'm older it tends to be the 4pm Sky football kickoff so it's getting worse!
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IzzyS wrote: »
    'Watch out, Beadles about. You better watch ouuuttt 'cause Beadle's aboouuuutttt' :D

Stop scaremongering, he isn't.....anymore! :p .... :(
  • Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Stop scaremongering, he isn't.....anymore! :p .... :(

Maybe he is, maybe he's watching us all from above :o

If memory serves me right, it was Beadle's About that introduced me (or made me especially aware of) the bleeper to disguise swear words. I can picture it now - some poor guys car being trampled on by a tank or a factory worker being locked inside a below freezing chiller room (or whatever their called) and left for a while etc. what a larf! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe he is, maybe he's watching us all from above :o
    Nice thought. He's one of those people I actually forget has passed away and every now and again I re-remember he isn't among us anymore. Not since January 2008. Although Game For A Laugh began on Saturday nights back in 1981 with him, I seem to recall it on Sunday evenings by about 1985 or so. At the time I thought there was nothing funnier on TV. There's not enough to make viewers laugh on Sunday night TV nowadays. Clearly there needs to be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice thought. He's one of those people I actually forget has passed away and every now and again I re-remember he isn't among us anymore. Not since January 2008. Although Game For A Laugh began on Saturday nights back in 1981 with him, I seem to recall it on Sunday evenings by about 1985 or so. At the time I thought there was nothing funnier on TV. There's not enough to make viewers laugh on Sunday night TV nowadays. Clearly there needs to be.

I was thinking the other week, that the only kind of general variety/entertainment show on Saturday evening, on a main channel, that isn't a talent/reality show or a quiz/panel show is Ant & Decs Saturday Night Takeaway. I used to like Noel's House Party - they should bring something like that back to BBC1 (IMO).

Recently, there's been Fool Britannia on ITV1 and before then Harry Hill's TV Burp but they were both on Saturday nights, not Sunday. Sunday has had Dancing on Ice and All Star Family Fortunes. I can't think of much on BBC then, I don't tend to watch it then I suppose...there tends to be period dramas on then I think and shows like Countryfile and Antiques Roadshow, which are a bit plain.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was thinking the other week, that the only kind of general variety/entertainment show on Saturday evening, on a main channel, that isn't a talent/reality show or a quiz/panel show is Ant & Decs Saturday Night Takeaway. I used to like Noel's House Party - they should bring something like that back to BBC1 (IMO).

Recently, there's been Fool Britannia on ITV1 and before then Harry Hill's TV Burp but they were both on Saturday nights, not Sunday. Sunday has had Dancing on Ice and All Star Family Fortunes. I can't think of much on BBC then, I don't tend to watch it then I suppose...there tends to be period dramas on then I think and shows like Countryfile and Antiques Roadshow, which are a bit plain.
    I've often been fascinated by "Sunday Night Programmes" that simply would never be considered any other night. Antiques Roadshow is a good example. Why must it be on Sunday night and no other, ever since the 70's. They're quite happy to show antiques on all other days of the week if it's in the daytime hours. The way the main terrestrial channels treat Sunday night with the type of shows does not really seem to have changed in decades. But at least I don't any longer have to get up and be on a freezing mucky playing field on a Monday morning just after 9am followed by a lukewarm shared shower! Infact I should have had a Tuesday night feeling too, as my Wednesday's began the exact same way as my Monday mornings. :(
  • Options
    davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definetly Heartbeat. My parents would let me watch it before going to bed at 9, and watching it made me dread school again the next day!
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Ballykissangel, gah!

Heartbeat, wah!

LOTSW, nah!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've often been fascinated by "Sunday Night Programmes" that simply would never be considered any other night. Antiques Roadshow is a good example. Why must it be on Sunday night and no other, ever since the 70's. They're quite happy to show antiques on all other days of the week if it's in the daytime hours. The way the main terrestrial channels treat Sunday night with the type of shows does not really seem to have changed in decades. But at least I don't any longer have to get up and be on a freezing mucky playing field on a Monday morning just after 9am followed by a lukewarm shared shower! Infact I should have had a Tuesday night feeling too, as my Wednesday's began the exact same way as my Monday mornings. :(

Nature shows are another staple of Sunday evening programming, although I've noticed that I think such shows are also shown on Wednesday or Thursdays, 8 or 9pm (BBC1 or BBC2).
  • Options
    Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    Sunday night dread for me started after Spitting Image, The New Statesmen and Hot Metal finished. There used to be some comedy sitcom on Sunday night and after that it was bedtime! :(

Was the same for me, & i'll add Hale & Pace when the end credits came on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was Little & Large too, wasn't there? not sure when they were on TV though, that was when I was really young.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was Little & Large too, wasn't there? not sure when they were on TV though, that was when I was really young.
    Supersonic!

Only relate to that being on Saturdays myself. I bet that has dated horribly. Syd wasn't even that funny at their peak was he? Seemed a nice guy though.