Options

Woman subjected to 108 catcalls during 10 hour walk through NYC

Comments

• Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Eh??? :confused::confused:

You must have been viewing an entirely different video clip. She prattled away like a machine gun and at times i could barely understand a word she was saying and i was wondering when she was going to surface for air.

I think you're the one that needs looking again.

She starts with 'Oh, I live this life every day'. at around 1:08, and he comes in with 'Nice, nice'.

Not only interrupting but condescending too, as for her it obviously isn't nice.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She starts with 'Oh, I live this life every day'. at around 1:08, and he comes in with 'Nice, nice'.

Not only interrupting but condescending too, as for her it obviously isn't nice.

I'm not sure it's worth reasoning with anyone who can watch that clip and not come away from it thinking the guy's an utter douche.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    I'm not sure it's worth reasoning with anyone who can watch that clip and not come away from it thinking the guy's an utter douche.

True, stoatie, thanks.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ahh........i see. When you mentioned in your previous post about 'barely uttered two words' i assumed (wrongly as it turns out) you were referring to her.

Now i see you meant the guy uttering two words, "nice nice".

Thanks for clearing that up.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you realise how ludicrously daft the bib makes you?

Of course I do, since I was using your logic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ahh........i see. When you mentioned in your previous post about 'barely uttered two words' i assumed (wrongly as it turns out) you were referring to her.

Now i see you meant the guy uttering two words, "nice nice".

Thanks for clearing that up.

Don't play word games. I think anyone else (who wasn't trying to bait) would know exactly what my post meant.

Anyway, I'm taking stoatie's good advice - one of the few decent men on this thread - and am out of here to find better company.
  • Options
    Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    some men in this thread are real liars, take it from me a real man like me that if a guy says hello to women on the street its because they want to fvck them. notice how they dont say it to women they find unnatractive or to other men. women dont let these men fool you they after 1 thing only :kitty:

saying hello to women who just want to get about their normal business is harrassment and they have a right to ignore you, if your egos can take it
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    Do you realise how daft that makes you sound? By your logic, no one had ever been in a plane crash because it never happened to you.

And even if she had experienced that scenario, why would she share it with her father-in-law when she probably knows he'd either ridicule her, call her a liar, or tell her to act like a real woman and take the attention as a compliment.
  • Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dr. Claw wrote: »
    some men in this thread are real liars, take it from me a real man like me that if a guy says hello to women on the street its because they want to fvck them. notice how they dont say it to women they find unnatractive or to other men. women dont let these men fool you they after 1 thing only :kitty:

saying hello to women who just want to get about their normal business is harrassment and they have a right to ignore you, if your egos can take it

We've covered that dumb argument many times and you're still wrong. You aren't the spokesperson for 'real men' either.
  • Options
    DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He finished by inferring that the guys in the video weren't raised properly. What a ridiculous man.

Also i'm not sure that the desire to live in a metropolitan city and wanting to be isolated from society whilst walking down the street is possible.
  • Options
    boniverboniver Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He finished by inferring that the guys in the video weren't raised properly. What a ridiculous man.

That's not such a ridiculous comment is it? If the problem is that they don't respect women and are treating women like objects then maybe they weren't raised properly.

I did think he was a bit ridiculous though when he said the solution was for women to get a gun! Maybe he was joking there, I'm not sure...
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boniver wrote: »
    That's not such a ridiculous comment is it? If the problem is that they don't respect women and are treating women like objects then maybe they weren't raised properly.

I did think he was a bit ridiculous though when he said the solution was for women to get a gun! Maybe he was joking there, I'm not sure...

Sadly, I don't think he was.
  • Options
    DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boniver wrote: »

Seems like a reasonable suggestion for someone who is worried they will get murdered.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    Sadly, I don't think he was.
    Epi.....seeing as you are around. Serious question here with you being American. Is the 'dayums' 'whats up' 'what you doing' etc etc an American thing?

The reason i ask is simple because as i'm sure you will know by now, British use none of those phrases (i gather 'dayum' is some kind of slang for damn?). I've never been to America but have a cousin who has lived there some time (Texas) and says there are cultural differences between British and American.

Secondly i posted some pages back with regard to my ex-wife who is Swiss. When we married she had never been to the UK before (big mistake on my part) so noticed differences immediately. These were things which i'd not bothered about before as for me i'd grown up here and lived here.

However she pointed out "you never seem to speak/greet people in the street when passing by....all of you lower your heads and don't look at the other person.....why?" She saw is it as ignorant, rude and 'not very friendly' behaviour.

Having spent time in Switzerland i could understand what she meant. Everyone speaks to people, strangers in the street walking by, whoever......they always greet with a "good morning/afternoon/evening" etc and eye contact is expected. That's irrespective of age or appearance too.

So i'm wondering if we are looking at a cultural thing here which is probably common to Americans but even more so particularly in large cities such as NY. Take another State and some small town or country area and i think you would get an entirely different response. In fact possibly zero response!
  • Options
    jclock66jclock66 Posts: 2,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Epi.....seeing as you are around. Serious question here with you being American. Is the 'dayums' 'whats up' 'what you doing' etc etc an American thing?

The reason i ask is simple because as i'm sure you will know by now, British use none of those phrases (i gather 'dayum' is some kind of slang for damn?). I've never been to America but have a cousin who has lived there some time (Texas) and says there are cultural differences between British and American.

Secondly i posted some pages back with regard to my ex-wife who is Swiss. When we married she had never been to the UK before (big mistake on my part) so noticed differences immediately. These were things which i'd not bothered about before as for me i'd grown up here and lived here.

However she pointed out "you never seem to speak/greet people in the street when passing by....all of you lower your heads and don't look at the other person.....why?" She saw is it as ignorant, rude and 'not very friendly' behaviour.

Having spent time in Switzerland i could understand what she meant. Everyone speaks to people, strangers in the street walking by, whoever......they always greet with a "good morning/afternoon/evening" etc and eye contact is expected. That's irrespective of age or appearance too.

So i'm wondering if we are looking at a cultural thing here which is probably common to Americans but even more so particularly in large cities such as NY. Take another State and some small town or country area and i think you would get an entirely different response. In fact possibly zero response!

Good post Bulletguy, like I said before a lot of these men seem to African American, it may be part of their culture to do this. Of course I was called a racist, but that's par for the course on Digital Spy.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,562
    Forum Member
    Christa wrote: »
    There are plenty of intelligent men who get it d@ve, if you don't, that's your problem.

At this point, because you have again descended to making unwarranted personal remarks, I have lost interest in whatever points you were trying to make. Suffice it to say that you are not helping your cause by making that kind of remark.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jclock66 wrote: »
    Good post Bulletguy, like I said before a lot of these men seem to African American, it may be part of their culture to do this. Of course I was called a racist, but that's par for the course on Digital Spy.
    Yes it's funny how that's exclusive to skin colour and nothing else! I always used to tell my 'ex' she was 'racist' because of her views about German people as she openly disliked anyone who confused her with German national rather than Swiss!

I know a little about Black American history from the 60's through the years of segregation and Civil Rights movement etc as White America seemed (to me anyhow) to hold draconian and archaic ideology over Black Americans. As for cultural differences, that's what i'd be interested in knowing more about....irrespective of skin colour.
  • Options
    jclock66jclock66 Posts: 2,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it's funny how that's exclusive to skin colour and nothing else! I always used to tell my 'ex' she was 'racist' because of her views about German people as she openly disliked anyone who confused her with German national rather than Swiss!

I know a little about Black American history from the 60's through the years of segregation and Civil Rights movement etc as White America seemed (to me anyhow) to hold draconian and archaic ideology over Black Americans. As for cultural differences, that's what i'd be interested in knowing more about....irrespective of skin colour.

it depends on what you define culture and race as I suppose.
  • Options
    malaikahmalaikah Posts: 20,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've covered that dumb argument many times and you're still wrong. You aren't the spokesperson for 'real men' either.

:D

lol

What this actually translates to as is as follows:
    I've covered that opinion I don't like by simply repeating myself and refusing to even take on board anything anyone else is saying they feel by simply telling them their feelings are irrelevant to me and what I choose to do and that they don't speak for all womankind. Also, I've made sure I've forced my opinion across by repeatedly telling any people disagreeing with me that the world doesn't revolve around how they feel about anything impacting on their lives"

Hehehe. :D Très amusant!!
  • Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    malaikah wrote: »
    :D

lol

What this actually translates to as is as follows:

Hehehe. :D Très amusant!!

Your reading comprehension is as poor as your translation skills. The burden of proof is then on you to demonstrate that saying a friendly hello would be harassment.
  • Options
    ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member

That guy is talking rubbish.
    Christa wrote: »
    What an arse.

Have you seen this?

Funny, as compared to some of your posts, that guy seems sane.
  • Options
    Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,196
    Forum Member
    The parodies of the original video are pretty funny.

Sorry if it's already been posted, but here's one in LA:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X9QbXbNZ-g
  • Options
    wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jeremy Vine will be doing a phone in on this video on his show on Radio 2, today at midday.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why don't these men who shout at how lovely I look or comment on parts of my body or give me unsought for advice on smiling more ever do it when I am out with a male friend? If they are just doing it to be friendly and pay me a complement what difference would it make to them? Why do they only ever do it when I am alone and more likely to feel very uncomfortable or even threatened by it?