XB1/ PS4 review scores

191011121315»

Comments

• Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    That to me reads like the X1 is installing most the game first but the PS4 is installing very little and perhaps running part of the game from disc while installing the rest.
    I wondered how much was the fault of the XBox One and how much the game developers'. Presumably they have to partition their game and identify the minimum they will run with. Perhaps if they finished their games later for the XB1 than for the PS4, they had less time to spend on that part, and didn't pay it much attention because they thought it unimportant. If so, then future games should do better.

(I find it credible that they were more pushed for time on XB1 because of the rumours that the hardware and system software were stable later (which in turn fits with Microsoft's late announcement of hardware changes like clock speeds, and their having to spend time redoing code after their policy reversals), and because the PS4 architecture is so much simpler.)

If it's Microsoft's fault, I'd hope they'll be able to fix it with a software update.
  • Options
    Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brangdon wrote: »
    If it's Microsoft's fault, I'd hope they'll be able to fix it with a software update.

I don't think anything is broken to fix to be honest. It just seems both consoles are doing it two different ways. X1 is installing enough of the game so you can run it from the HD while it installs the rest. While the PS4 seems to be running the game from the disc while it installs it (as there is no way it can install enough of a game within 40sec to run from the HD in my view).

Does anyone know the overall times it takes to install if you start playing it the second it allows you? I would suspect the PS4 would be longer as the console is having to read the disc to play the game and install it.
  • Options
    gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do we know the speed of both blu ray drives ?