Options

Bl**dy foreigner

Comments

• Options
    Stormwave UKStormwave UK Posts: 5,088
    Forum Member
    One time, in Paris me and my brother were looking for a specific train, but couldn't figure it out. We asked this man who had a young child with him, he went completely out of his way to walk us to exactly where the train was.

That would never, ever happen in London.

Yes, there are rude people everywhere. But I've never met ruder people than in our own capital city.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One time, in Paris me and my brother were looking for a specific train, but couldn't figure it out. We asked this man who had a young child with him, he went completely out of his way to walk us to exactly where the train was.

Yes, there are rude people everywhere. But I've never met ruder people than in our own capital city.

I disagree with this totally. The kindness of strangers is a fact of life. All over the world.
    I have met more kindness than rudeness by a mile.
    One elderly woman being rude in England is a spurious reason to start a thread on the entire dissolution of a countries behaviour and manners.
    I have met kindness and rudeness in many parts of the world.
    Parisiennes are not actually especially rude, more disinterested.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I actually helped a German sounding tourist out in London years ago. I walked him a good 5 minutes to Bond Street as the language barrier was simply too difficult to overcome.

That was offset a few years later by me being a nobber and deliberately sending some tourists the wrong way after they asked where Waterloo was.
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A few times when I was standing still looking at a map in the metro in Paris people stopped and asked me if I needed any help
  • Options
    CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sootysoo wrote: »
    I'm British born and I'm not ashamed to say I find the British to be a particularly racist bunch.

They seem to hate the French, the Germans, Americans, virtually any bloody nationality outside of their own. It also happens between regions too. The scouser's hate the Mancunians, the Scottish hate the English, the English hate the Welsh and Ireland is treated like it doesn't exist until St Patrick's day comes along and everyone loves the Irish then!

Ireland isn't, it's Northern Ireland that is treated as if it doesn't exist. This post just proves that ;-)
  • Options
    StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davor wrote: »
    Brits are rude. You either love them or hate them.

I would not do something like that in isolation

I do start to worry, those times i've been walking the high streets, and many people have been talking (not in English)

I have to pinch myself, to remind myself what country i'm in
  • Options
    Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vivelamour wrote: »
    I just came back from a long weekend in the UK.

On Friday I was looking around a shop with my 10 year old son and we were talking to each other in french when all of a sudden we hear a voice saying very loudly :"Bl**dy foreigners" !!!>:o

We turned around and saw this "lady" who was at least 70. I don' t know why she felt it necessary to talk to us like this but my son was really upset and frankly so was I.

I have never ever experienced something like this in the UK. Are people in the UK getting more intolerant ?

Welcome to my world Mme Belge, although I have to say, in their defence, not all les anglais are like that. I have to smile at the posts from English people about rude Parisiens, they should see how we northerners from Lille and Lens are treated!
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would not do something like that in isolation

I do start to worry, those times i've been walking the high streets, and many people have been talking (not in English)

I have to pinch myself, to remind myself what country i'm in

You didn't know England was multicultural? I guess it just crept up on some people
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    jonner101 wrote: »
    I have been to France countless times and have been called the equivalent by some old French guy and have dealt with one or two rude people over there on several occasions. Every country has idiots. Outside of Paris though they generally seem pretty friendly.

The problem with France now is It's got so expensive and the food is really so average and disappointing considering the supposed reputation that you need to get a small mortgage to eat out at somewhere decent there now.

Went to Belgium at the weekend and had a great time around the Flanders area. Seemed to have better food and beer at a much more reasonable cost than France. Even got a complimentary round of drinks from a pub in the middle of nowhere where they probably never see tourists

I've been to Copenhagen in Scandinavia and to be honest all I can really remember is how bitterly cold it was there.

True. Almost everything in France is ridiculously expensive except for booze and petrol. You usually end up paying through the nose for inferior quality goods. It is a massively over-rated country and, apart from the prices, 20 years behind England, Germany and Scandinavia. And yet the French have such an enormously high opinion of themselves.
  • Options
    Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I drove an extremely drunk Polish man home (about 8 miles) because he was trying to get a taxi, then said he would walk. I know where he wanted to go, it was pitch black, the road is awful(single track, high hedges), there's a couple of bridges he would have to cross and I doubt he would have made it if I hadn't.

Though the proviso was I did have my two adult children with me and I thought that in the state he was in, even if he turned out to be a mad axe murderer, we could take him down.:D
  • Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member

Bib is just bollocks, I know this because I have on numerous occasions gone out of my way to help puzzled tourists on the tube simply because I can. I like doing it because I know how confusing it can be and what a relief it is when someone helps you out.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

Rubbish, you struck lucky in Paris that's all..
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vivelamour wrote: »
    I just came back from a long weekend in the UK.

On Friday I was looking around a shop with my 10 year old son and we were talking to each other in french when all of a sudden we hear a voice saying very loudly :"Bl**dy foreigners" !!!>:o

We turned around and saw this "lady" who was at least 70. I don' t know why she felt it necessary to talk to us like this but my son was really upset and frankly so was I.

I have never ever experienced something like this in the UK. Are people in the UK getting more intolerant ?

No.

Don't take the ramblings of some dotty old woman, as representative of the population as a whole.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You didn't know England was multicultural? I guess it just crept up on some people

Even so, English does seem to have become an endangered language in some parts of the country.
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »
    Even so, English does seem to have become an endangered language in some parts of the country.

Riiiiiight. And yet still the predominant world language. Odd that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really.

Many people around the World can speak English, some as a primary language others as a secondary language, but not everybody does.

Language is a part of person's culture and heritage. If you are in a community of your own (ethnic) peers then the use of English may simply not be a given.

Problems are more likely to happen through a heavy accent, where English is being spoken but is not completely understandable.
  • Options
    R82n8R82n8 Posts: 3,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey OP there is a nearly 50% chance that in London you were called a "Bloody foreigner" by a white British Londoner.
    Maybe you were called a bloody foreigner by a bloody foreigner.:D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-20680565
  • Options
    vivelamourvivelamour Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    R82n8 wrote: »
    Hey OP there is a nearly 50% chance that in London you were called a "Bloody foreigner" by a white British Londoner.
    Maybe you were called a bloody foreigner by a bloody foreigner.:D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-20680565

Oh but this didn't happen in London but in Canterbury :)
  • Options
    davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    Only 50% withe British in London. That's because white Brits are escaping to the country :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With the Cathedral, University and proximity to Dover I wouldn't be at all surprised if Canterbury were continually swamped by foreign visitors and tourists. Probably has been for decades.

Go into the Cathedral shop and you'll most likely find the guidebook in English, French, German and several other languages.
  • Options
    3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Riiiiiight. And yet still the predominant world language. Odd that.

I don't think that that was the point being made.

There are parts of this country where you won't hear much English spoken at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With the Cathedral, University and proximity to Dover I wouldn't be at all surprised if Canterbury were continually swamped by foreign visitors and tourists. Probably has been for decades.

Go into the Cathedral shop and you'll most likely find the guidebook in English, French, German and several other languages.

Makes the old hag look even more ridiculous. Tourism is a nice little earner.
  • Options
    3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tubtui wrote: »

So nicely put.

I like it how the knives so easily come out for the old lady in this case.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tubtui wrote: »

I guess it is if tourists buy things rather than come in, browse around and then leave empty handed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess it is if tourists buy things rather than come in, browse around and then leave empty handed.

If I got such a reception, I'd not necessarily want to spend my money there either. Verbal abuse isn't a great marketing strategy.