Options

Pakistan to hang paralysed man whilst he is in his wheelchair

Comments

• Options
    soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the title of this thread was the headline the daily fail used. I saw it and the pic of the man underneath and started reading it thinking they were killing him for being disabled.

when actually they are killing him for being a murderer.

kind of changes your perception.

If the punishement for murder is death then it should not matter if he is diabled or not
  • Options
    soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hazydayz wrote: »
    Does he need to be in his chair though?

well yes, its not like he can stand up and wait for them to pull the noose
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    If it's a shiny black chair it will double up as a hearse.
  • Options
    DangermooseDangermoose Posts: 67,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know but he is a vulnerable man now surely being stuck in a wheelchair and in prison for life is punishment enough. Why do they have to kill him? I bet they don't want to pay the costs of his care or have the hassle of caring for him.

Is there famous cases in the UK where disabled people have been punished to the full extent of the law or do they get lesser sentences as the judge is sympathetic to them? Not that I plan to commit a crime to find out.

Was he so vulnerable when he was committing MURDER?
    Was he sympathetic to his victim(s) and all those who would suffer from his selfish actions?

I'm not saying I'm for or against the death penalty but in the countries where it is still utilised, anyone committing a crime is fully aware of this when doing so. Why should he be immune?
    Should his disability still make him exempt had he raped a child or been found guilty of paedophilia?
  • Options
    David_HillDavid_Hill Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't really have sympathy for a murderer to be honest.
  • Options
    ScratchplateScratchplate Posts: 798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Baitometer© needs recalibrating.
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    klendathu wrote: »
    They could wire his wheelchair up to the mains and make a mobile Electric Chair .

Enough volts and they might get a Wheelie :D

I've a feeling that some of our members aren't viewing this tragedy with the seriousness it warrants. :cool:
  • Options
    Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    hang 'em high
  • Options
    Default_UserDefault_User Posts: 4,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To give lighter treatment simply because he is now disabled is effectively equating his disablement with punishment and saying he has already suffered justice and should get out of his dues. He hasn't. No one here knows if he is truly guilty, but we should be able to trust the court system and it says he is. Therefore, unless disabled people aren't worthy of being members of society, he has no grounds for complaint.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is as guilty as hell.

Those who want preferential treatment for him don't have a leg to stand on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLpUatutZDw
  • Options
    MudboxMudbox Posts: 10,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if you had a headache would they postpone the hanging?
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    They'll have the expense of installing a ramp now.
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They'll have the expense of installing a ramp now.

Two planks of wood and a steady hand is all that's needed.
  • Options
    MudboxMudbox Posts: 10,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    .....maybe they should just tickle him a bit instead.....I hate tickling.
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This doesn't surprise me
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's a murderer and the penalty in Pakistan is death. I don't agree with the death penalty but that's the punishment in Pakistan.
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can see your point and like I said I respect your opinion, but my mind could never be changed on this. To me the same violent crime is worse on some people than it is on others.

You wouldn't say that if the adult rape or murder victim was the person you loved most - mum, dad, brother, sister, grown up child..

So ultimately, you wouldn't have your current view if the worst happened.
  • Options
    liftmasterliftmaster Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or maybe they'll just put the rope around his neck and let his tyres down? :confused:

I calculate that if he has slick tyres the drop will be about an inch and if he's sporting a set of knobblies, an inch and a half....... either way he'll probably die of old age before suffocation.
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    I can see your point and like I said I respect your opinion, but my mind could never be changed on this. To me the same violent crime is worse on some people than it is on others.

Violent crime is violent crime. And by differentiating between victims you let people off the hook to a certain degree by effectively saying it's ok.
  • Options
    cas1977cas1977 Posts: 6,399
    Forum Member
    It has been interesting reading your comments and discussions about this. It just seems like something barbaric ISIS would do to me. There might be complications doing this punishment and it might take him longer to die.

Can you imagine if it happened here the European Commission for Human Rights would be up in arms.

I think due to the fact that he is actually a murderer and capital punishment exists in Pakistan, he should be punished like any other murderer, but I don't agree with hanging him from his wheelchair.

I'd imagine that capital punishment even in Pakistan will have rules and regulations and exemptions, and I don't see why he just can't be shot in the head or given a lethal injection.
  • Options
    fleabeefleabee Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems fair to me, he did the crime. Disability is no excuse.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    towers wrote: »
    You wouldn't say that if the adult rape or murder victim was the person you loved most - mum, dad, brother, sister, grown up child.

So ultimately, you wouldn't have your current view if the worst happened.

Of course I'd be more upset if a family member were killed or raped, compared to a stranger. However I still think I'd be more upset if my child were killed over a parent or sibling, so yes I still would have my current view.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Violent crime is violent crime. And by differentiating between victims you let people off the hook to a certain degree by effectively saying it's ok.

Saying it's worse to rape or beat a child, doesn't mean that it's saying its okay to do the same to an adult.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member

I don't think that is particularly true. The vulnerability of the victim is more likely to be an aggravating factor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    I don't think that is particularly true. The vulnerability of the victim is more likely to be an aggravating factor.

Agree, hence why it's not just an age thing. I would think it's worse if an 90 year old boy were mugged over myself.