Options

What's up with Halle Berry? Accusations of 'racism' thrown at her daughter's father.

13»

Comments

• Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely , it's not a question of having to pick a side, it's about identity.

Not really. I am mixed race. I am 50/50. I could certainly be which ever side I wanted to be, but I would be denying part of my heritage. It's really irritating when people insist that you should and must take sides. It's as if people want to say that being mixed is impossible.
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    I always remember the time both her and Hugh Jackman were doing an interview to promote an X Men film on Chris Moyles show and he said something completely innocent which she then insisted was a racist remark.

That incident put me off her for life. Has she ever objected to Eddie Murphy doing hilarious stereotypical impressions of white people in front of mainly black theatre audiences?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No it isn't and it's none of your business how I define myself either.

Of course it is a diachotomy. Of course you can define yourself however you want, but the facts are, you are 50% White and 50% Black if you have one white and one black parent. If you define yourself as Black, you are basically saying you're not mixed race when you are.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CFCJM1 wrote: »
    I'm white so can't even pretend to understand how a mixed race person would feel. However maybe many mixed race people just feel more black than white. Our identity is who we are and who we feel we are - and no one can make us feel different.

Also - if I was mixed race and had lived in apartheid South Africa would I not have been regarded as more black than white?

The mixed race people that define themselves as one over the other, are pigeonholing themselves into what they think society wants them to be. Why can they not stand up and say to people, I am not one or the other, I am both. If people don't accept that, then they are ignorant.

I remember Morgan Freeman got a lot of stick for saying America has yet to have its first Black President as Barack Obama is mixed. He is of course 100% right, but he got an incredible amount of vitriol for saying it.
  • Options
    DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    Of course it is a diachotomy. Of course you can define yourself however you want, but the facts are, you are 50% White and 50% Black if you have one white and one black parent. If you define yourself as Black, you are basically saying you're not mixed race when you are.

No I'm not saying that. It seems to trouble you how other people define themselves...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I'm not saying that. It seems to trouble you how other people define themselves...

Personally, I don't care. I just find it dissapointing when people think they have to fit into societies pre conceived ideas. And what are you saying then?
  • Options
    ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member
    kellygirl wrote: »
    I read the article, I don't think Halle is in the wrong, the child is too young to have her hair straightened with chemicals, if that is what is happening, whatever her heritage. I often think Katie Price would have her daughter's hair straight permanently if she could.
    I have mixed race in my family and I understand where the mother of HB is coming from. Its not denying your white heritage, just acknowledging that the wider world will invariably see you as black.

I agree. The child is way too young to have highlights and her hair straightened. I think it's justified that she's questioning his motives, it's not normal that a parent is so set on changing a small child's appearance so radically. Katie Price is a a great example.

I also have relatives of mixed race, and again I agree with you, people have to be realistic the world about how the world will perceive you. And it goes beyond skin colour, I have a cousin that is pale white, whiter than a lot of caucasian people, but you can see she has some black features and hair. And still people do perceive her as black. It would be impossible to deny her white heritage since the all our family is caucasian and she does not have family on her mixed race father side. But you cannot simply pick and choose what you want to be, society will challenge you and you have to be prepared.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Viridiana wrote: »
    I agree. The child is way too young to have highlights and her hair straightened. I think it's justified that she's questioning his motives, it's not normal that a parent is so set on changing a small child's appearance so radically. Katie Price is a a great example.

I also have relatives of mixed race, and again I agree with you, people have to be realistic the world about how the world will perceive you. And it goes beyond skin colour, I have a cousin that is pale white, whiter than a lot of caucasian people, but you can see she has some black features and hair. And still people do perceive her as black. It would be impossible to deny her white heritage since the all our family is caucasian and she does not have family on her mixed race father side. But you cannot simply pick and choose what you want to be, society will challenge you and you have to be prepared.

Who cares if society challenges you? Us people of mixed race have to be more comfortable with telling people they're wrong rather than falling into line with people's incorrect assumptions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Who cares if society challenges you? Us people of mixed race have to be more comfortable with telling people they're wrong rather than falling into line with people's incorrect assumptions.

You do not live in an ideal world. People cannot put their heads in the sand and pretend that everyone is colourblind. The problems and struggles a mixed race (black/white) person will encounter are the same problems a black person will encounter. Pretending this is not the case because half of your heritage is white is delusional. To be be able to stand up for yourself and change things you have to be able to see the reality.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You do not live in an ideal world. People cannot put their heads in the sand and pretend that everyone is colourblind. The problems and struggles a mixed race (black/white) person will encounter are the same problems a black person will encounter. Pretending this is not the case because half of your heritage is white is delusional. To be be able to stand up for yourself and change things you have to be able to see the reality.

You do realize that mixed race doesn't just mean black and white? And I am afraid you're putting the onus on what some (not all) people in society think you should be which is wrong. You should be strong enough to correct any incorrect assumptions. I mean why should someone who is mixed have to choose?
  • Options
    Suzy_CatSuzy_Cat Posts: 1,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This. Nobody's going to take your latent whiteness into account when they shoot you for looking suspicious and Halle, along with every other non-white person in a country like the US where race relations are deeply damaged and black people experience significant prejudice, knows this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Suzy_Cat wrote: »
    This. Nobody's going to take your latent whiteness into account when they shoot you for looking suspicious and Halle, along with every other non-white person in a country like the US where race relations are deeply damaged and black people experience significant prejudice, knows this.

You're another person who seems to think that mixed race only equals black and white. And what the hell is latent whiteness? It sounds rather offensive to me as a mixed person.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You're another person who seems to think that mixed race only equals black and white. And what the hell is latent whiteness? It sounds rather offensive to me as a mixed person.

Don't be silly, I only mentioned black and white to make it clear that's the type of mixed race we are talking here, or the rest of my sentence would not make sense. Don't create issue were it does not exist.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't be silly, I only mentioned black and white to make it clear that's the type of mixed race we are talking here, or the rest of my sentence would not make sense. Don't create issue were it does not exist.

I am not being silly. Interesting to note you've not answered my question though.

Edit. I just realized it wasn't you that mentioned look latent whiteness. My points still stand though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I am not being silly. Interesting to note you've not answered my question though.

What question? You did not ask me any question.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What question?

There isn't actaully one for you. Only just realized that the last post you quoted of mine was a response to a different poster. I think you thought I was talking to you.