Options

£5,000 nose job on the NHS (which won't fund cancer care for a five-year-old girl)

Comments

• Options
    NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    skp20040 wrote: »
    Is it the same area that has funded this idiots op and refused the little girls treatment ? , the article states they live in the same area.

In which case I would say the board that approved this mans op has a lot to answer for.

Even if it's the same area, they'll be from different parts of the NHS budget for the region.

In much the same way that your local police service will have different departmental budgets for everything from traffic policing, crime prevention, robbery and murder, so if you get pulled for not having a working brake light it won't affect the investigation into a murder.

Whilst I don't really agree with plastic surgery on the NHS there are a couple of things to remember, one is that someone's self image can affect their mental state a lot which can result in depression etc (although surgery in such cases is usually very carefully thought about before it's approved), so if it works it can save the NHS a fortune in it's mental health bill.
    The other is that, and this may sound nuts, some elective "plastic" surgeries actually help the medical services in training and keeping staff trained for emergency surgeries.
    For example the U.S. military used to offer free or very heavily discounted plastic surgeries for it's members/dependants because it was a very effective way of keeping their medical staff trained, by letting them do operations that they could plan well in advance so when an emergency case came in they were still up to scratch and better able to do it without the luxury of time to plan it out in detail*.
    So a straight forward, planned bit of plastic surgery could help keep (or train) staff in readiness for cases where it's more complicated, or they might have to do it with no advance notice.

I'm going to hazard a guess and say that the chances are the young girl had little or no chance of further treatment helping at all, as the doctors in such cases tend to try everything they can, but sometimes the chances of the treatment being effective are so tiny that the effects of the treatment upon the patient mean that it would be cruel to try it.

It's basically a fairly low tactic by a paper to compare two completely different situations, one that has an emotional "why can't we do more" which almost anyone can feel, and one that a lot of people won't understand why.
    Thankfully such things aren't done as a "if we do this, we can't do that" by the people that actually make the decisions on the ground, and those people will tend to be far more knowledgeable on the subject than the general public.

*IIRC it made headlines in some US papers/TV news etc along the lines of "Military waste money on boob jobs" (yet the experience let the surgical teams learn/get used to thinking of how to not just save someone's life in the event of an accident/attack but also minimise the aesthetic damage, and amount of separate re-constructive work needed later).
  • Options
    scotchscotch Posts: 10,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh Jeez, that's a picture of him AFTER the nose job
  • Options
    nomad2kingnomad2king Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    justatech wrote: »
    Of course you then realise that the NHS has to pay for treatment for depressive illness that the person may suffer, keep them on benefits until they are unable to find work and generally pay out even more than they would need to for the sake of six hours in hospital, Nice way of saving money. NOT!
    Did you read the article?
    ‘Getting the NHS to pay was the easiest thing I have ever done,’ he said. ‘If you say it is ruining your life and you are a good actor it is easy. I can be very manipulative.
    ‘I said that all my friends are celebrities or glamour models and really beautiful and I am the only ugly one in my group of friends. If you don’t know what to say, just cry.’
    Mr Barton, who works part-time in a bar and a supermarket, already had his nose straightened two years ago. He claims he could have had that on the NHS as well, but having it privately was quicker.
    He says he has spent £20,000 for dental work, including full porcelain veneers, and friends and family have paid for Botox, eyebrow threading, tanning injections, body waxing and hair extensions.
  • Options
    BunionsBunions Posts: 15,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wait just a bloody minute! How dare we victimize this man, he has paid into the system its NOT HIS FAULT N.I.C.E. have decided not to fund certain drugs for a girl he has never met.

SHAME ON ALL OF YOU.
    Don't be so bloody ridiculous.

He's gone to the paper bragging about how he conned his GP into giving him a referral in order to obtain surgery he doesn't need ffs.

He's admitted he's going to do it again because he's still not happy.

He wanted surgery so he could live 'a showbiz life'

SHAME ON HIM!

I'd be ashamed if I raised a selfish, self-absorbed little prick like that.
  • Options
    Mr_X_123Mr_X_123 Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The particular cancer the little girl has is rare. And it is very rare for anyone to survive it. She has had two bouts and survived both. Now, the problem is that treatment for relapses is very expensive and relapses are rare.

The NHS will only authorise treatments that are approved in the UK and have gone through the various stages of trials with success measures evaluated against cost by NICE.

Because this is very rare there isn't an NHS treatment plan for relapses and as I understand it the little girl hasn't yet relapsed they are just raising half a million in case she does.

However, the thing is that the NHS probably would have to send her to Germany or the USA at a cost of £500,000.

It is a very different amount and very different problem to the £5000 cosmetic job the man had.

I don't think it is right him having such treatment on the NHS, BUT it may be that it was authorised due to budget underspend. Budget goes from CCG's at the end of the year and you don't get it back. You spend it or lose it.

I think that it is a complicated matter and certainly can't be simiplified in the way this article tries to. Many people suffer severe psychological conditions as a result of physical disfigurements or perceived imperfections. I'd not want those people denied treatment necessarily. It should be on a case by case basis.

The new system where GPs themselves make commissioning decisions is a problem here because do they really have the time to scrutinise these cases to the same degree that managers in the old PCTs would have done?
  • Options
    nomad2kingnomad2king Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    This story is not so much about a particular cancer case, but about other things being funded that should not be.
  • Options
    tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will say time and time again that operations like this nose job should be half-funded by the person.
  • Options
    MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How are these two things related?

Oh, they're not. It's the Daily Mail trolling as usual.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nomad2king wrote: »
    This story is not so much about a particular cancer case, but about other things being funded that should not be.
    The article title seems to give the opposite impression.

I don't agree with undeserving people receiving NHS nose jobs but if the little girl's operation would have cost £500,000 and not ahieved very much then you can understand the hospital trust's decision.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moggio wrote: »
    How are these two things related?

Oh, they're not. It's the Daily Mail trolling as usual.

They are related, as the NHS is forever bleating about how poverty stricken it is, yet can find funds for ludicrous frippery like this.

I've been waiting 8 weeks for an appointment at the Diabetes clinic, after being diagnosed, but am told they can't give me any idea how long it will be before I am seen as they are "overwhelmed and underfunded".

I might see if I can find out how many cosmetic operations have been carried out by the Health Trust.

Yet another reason why the NHS should be scrapped, and a social insurance scheme started.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Wait just a bloody minute! How dare we victimize this man, he has paid into the system its NOT HIS FAULT N.I.C.E. have decided not to fund certain drugs for a girl he has never met.

SHAME ON ALL OF YOU.

Well, that's not how it works, is it? The NHS isn't some kind of personal piggy bank that each person contributes towards in order to become entitled to draw medical services at will. Treatment is based on need.

Obviously this bloke is a complete cock with a sense of entitlement who has played the system.

Nothing to do with the decision on the girl's cancer treatment, of course.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

SHAME ON ALL OF YOU.

I think the only shame should be on this man

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2644317/Is-Britains-vainest-person-Barman-wants-look-like-perfect-man-gets-5-000-nose-job-NHS-wont-fund-cancer-care-five-year-old-girl.html

Sam Barton, 22, has boasted about how easy it was to get the £5,000 procedure and admits he only wanted it so he could look like ‘the perfect man’

Mr Barton, who lives close to Kelli’s family in Sutton Coldfield, admits he secured the cosmetic surgery by pretending to cry in front of his local GP

‘Getting the NHS to pay was the easiest thing I have ever done,’ he said. ‘If you say it is ruining your life and you are a good actor it is easy. I can be very manipulative.

‘I said that all my friends are celebrities or glamour models and really beautiful and I am the only ugly one in my group of friends. If you don’t know what to say, just cry.’

None of his surgery has been to do with genuine mental health and he has openly admitted conning the NHS , the little girl to one side this man has admitted basically obtaining the treatment fraudulently and has now boasted of it to the media, to my mind he should receive a hefty bill on his doormat very soon, if it was me I would send him one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    My only question, having seen his face is, when is he actually having the surgery done?

That... can't be it.... Surely?!
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sootysoo wrote: »
    My only question, having seen his face is, when is he actually having the surgery done?

That... can't be it.... Surely?!

Considering he wants to be the perfect man it made me wonder too, no disrespect to the NHS I suppose they only have so much to work with but he looks like he has had a session with Edward Scissorhands.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    skp20040 wrote: »
    Considering he wants to be the perfect man it made me wonder too, no disrespect to the NHS I suppose they only have so much to work with but he looks like he has had a session with Edward Scissorhands.

I guess the old saying "you get what you pay for" never rang so true. :D
  • Options
    GibsonGirlGibsonGirl Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would ban cosmetic surgery on the NHS (as long as it wasn't required to repair damage after an accident or whatever) and I would also do away with IVF (for those that can't have naturally there is always adoption). I'd also charge for treating injuries sustained while being under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs. Those measures would save millions.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    Yet another reason why the NHS should be scrapped, and a social insurance scheme started.
    The trouble with this is that people have already paid into the present scheme and wouldn't be happy to start from scratch again.
    GibsonGirl wrote: »
    I would ban cosmetic surgery on the NHS (as long as it wasn't required to repair damage after an accident or whatever) and I would also do away with IVF (for those that can't have naturally there is always adoption). I'd also charge for treating injuries sustained while being under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs. Those measures would save millions.
    Not for the people who have to pay out twice because they were injured coming back from the pub.
  • Options
    Vicky.Vicky. Posts: 5,948
    Forum Member
    justatech wrote: »
    Of course you then realise that the NHS has to pay for treatment for depressive illness that the person may suffer, keep them on benefits until they are unable to find work and generally pay out even more than they would need to for the sake of six hours in hospital, Nice way of saving money. NOT!

I don't believe people suffer from depression because they dislike their nose to be honest. They may suffer from depression AND dislike their nose, but a nose job isnt going to fix that, the problems run deeper.

Also this man clearly does not suffer from depression anyway, so arguing this is a bit moot. Its the same as that idiot josie cunningham tbh
  • Options
    Vicky.Vicky. Posts: 5,948
    Forum Member
    GibsonGirl wrote: »

Completely disagree with this. If I go out for a quiet drink and get glassed, I don't believe I should be penalized for drinking considering its legal and it wasn't my fault the attack happened...
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He wants to look like "the perfect man"? He's got a long way to go...

Of course, it's not his fault that this little girl (and many others) are not getting their treatment on the NHS but he certainly shouldn't be boasting about "how easy it was to get the procedure" (if true). That is just callous and an utter kick in the face to those who aren't getting their non-cosmetic treatments funded by the NHS.
    And shame on him for "pretending to cry" in front of his GP.

This article makes him sound (and look) like a complete and utter prick.
  • Options
    scotchscotch Posts: 10,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope he doesn't appear on Big Brother...
  • Options
    david_kenndavid_kenn Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People are dying from starvation in underdeveloped countries and people who live in luxury lifestyle waste away with nose job and breast implant. Its very sad :(
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,996
    Forum Member
    david_kenn wrote: »
    People are dying from starvation in underdeveloped countries and people who live in luxury lifestyle waste away with nose job and breast implant. Its very sad :(

Would the NHS have donated the £5,000 to starving people if he didn't have the surgery?

It obviously isn't a nice situation for the young girl but he hasn't taken her funding away. Article does make him sound like an idiot though
  • Options
    claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do wonder if in reality it was cheaper for them to give the surgery than it was to either supply the counselling services or face the potential lawsuit. Which is a sad state of affairs really.
  • Options
    david_kenndavid_kenn Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NHS should not fund for something insignificant, why not fund on cancer patients or seriously ill person, this is making a mockery out the institutions itself. It won't be long when the entire country becomes busted and bankrupt.