Options

You've had our feedbback

Comments

• Options
    turquoiseblueturquoiseblue Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How am I supposed to embrace the changes when I can't use the site on my ipad anymore (and I know about the mobile site -it's not nearly as good as using the desktop site) <angry red smiley>

I'm on my iPad what's the problem? Are you on the mobile site? What I don't get is how many of you are still managing to post???
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    I'm on my iPad what's the problem? Are you on the mobile site? What I don't get is how many of you are still managing to post???

i dunno about anyone else but i`m using one of the user-provided skins via stylethingy, which makes it more readable.
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Silly little thing, but I wonder who decided that a full-stop after DigitalSpy was a good idea :D
  • Options
    MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't share your difficulties. People don't like change, that's the problem.

That old chestnut... "people don't like change".
    I've spent the last 20 years in 'change management', on staff and as a consultant project manager.

It's true that many find change uncomfortable, but rigid outlooks can also be found in those who defend all aspects of the change, even when parts are not functioning well.

A common issue is those who dismiss significant problems because it doesn't affect them (in old or newly adopted working practices), even if there is extensive evidence of a need for change and flexibility, such as in this case.
  • Options
    Scarlet O'HaraScarlet O'Hara Posts: 6,933
    Forum Member
    I really don't share your difficulties. People don't like change, that's the problem.

You clearly haven't read the feedback thread. This isn't 'we don't like it because it's different'. My issue isn't a few lost smilies and the white colour scheme with small typeface (although it does give me a headache within 10 mins of use, which is utterly bizarre). IT DOES NOT FUNCTION CORRECTLY in many fundamental ways. I'm having to use the more basic Mobile view just to read a post, and even that has errors, like "submit reply" disappearing, requiring you to hit 'back' and redo several times, as I've had to do with this post.

But hey, if YOU'RE alright, then people should just accept the mistakes, right?
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    I totally agree, but they obviously didn't and now they know they've fecked up, so all the more reason for us to 'allow' those involved to fix things properly. The worst thing anyone involved could do is read the responses and yell "Back it out, back it out now !".

It would seem sensible to go back to the old one and fix the new one before reintroducing it. Ideally they would then leave the old one as an option or give users more choice about colours etc for the new style.

P.S. I had Stylesheet set to make the site slightly better but that has now stopped working - it may be me or maybe they've found the time to stop Stylesheet working. Is Stylesheet still working for anyone out there?
  • Options
    Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've witnessed enough changes in my life to know the difference between 'This is brilliant. A real improvement' or 'I expect I'll get used to it' or 'this doesn't even work, and it hurts my eyes so much I will need glasses if I look at this site every day for 6 months'

You see, it's not just 'It looks different'

If that is all it was I'd be more willing to give it a chance.

Took me 2 minutes to type this- and I'm a one finger typist.

It's not unreasonable to expect one of them to spend 2 minutes putting up some official response to the feedback.
  • Options
    O-JO-J Posts: 18,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    im on the verge of going!
  • Options
    jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I genuinely don't believe any FM will actually quit because of the new design. Obviously we have no way of quantfying that, but I can't see why anyone would (barring any sort of cognitive 'disorder' that literally makes it un-comfortable on the eyes). BBC, Facebook, Twitter, Play, EBay etc etc have all changed their layouts, or how to use them, over the years. Never did them any harm. Users get used to them. Like I say, it won't take long for the owners to get a sense of whether traffic is falling greatly enough to concern them. My guess is it won't. If DS is gone within six months, we'll know I was wrong.

Have you heard of Irlen Syndrome? It's when people can't cope with very white backgrounds and (usually) black print on top of that (but can also include blue print). My daughter has it. Futhermore, I work in Learning Support as a teacher - it may surprise you to know that 20% of the population has Irlen Syndrome. That's 1 in 5 - hardly an insignificant number (when you consider only 10% have dyslexia, and that's EVERYWHERE).

So, actually, there are going to be thousands of users affected by this - potentially 1 in 5 of DS's total membership. Not 'a few'. And it's got nothing to do with not liking change - that's insulting to those with genuine problems.
    I don't agree that just because the - seemingly entire - user base is voicing despair at the new style, that the owners should feel compelled to revert back. I've been using DS for over ten years. Back in the day it was basically a forum dedicated soley to technical subjects (hence the 'what services do you have' and relevance of the post count) and was entirely blue and white. A few years ago, it changed to the way it looked previously. People got used to the new styles and people will get used to this one. If 'we' don't and all move to 4Chan, then Hearst will realise it was an awful mistake, but it's way to soon to judge.

Nope, sorry - you don't 'get used' to anything like this when you have Irlens. It's a permanent, life-long condition causing headaches, blurred vision, jumping print, rivers of white between words, and several other unpleasant symptoms. Did DS consider any of this? Clearly not. And therefore complaints are fully justified, as is instant feedback, because it's not just 'kneejerk reaction'.

Oh yeah. I had the OP in mind, but didn't quote him. In that case, it was a comment to the group, taking into account the responses on the hundred other similar threads, not aimed at any FM in particular.
    There's nothing wrong with the changes. Embrace the changes and get on with it.

Please refer to what I've already posted in reply to the previous poster - there are lots of things wrong with the changes.
    Specs Savers?

How arrogant, rude and selfish. "I'm all right Jack", is that it? Just moaning, are they, the ones (the 20% - more if you include other vision problems, probably more like 30%) who aren't moaning about change for change's sake, but about the fact that it literally hurts their eyes. God help anyone in your personal life who needs your empathy - actually, I hope there isn't anyone.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    Have you heard of Irlen Syndrome? It's when people can't cope with very white backgrounds and (usually) black print on top of that (but can also include blue print). My daughter has it. Futhermore, I work in Learning Support as a teacher - it may surprise you to know that 20% of the population has Irlen Syndrome. That's 1 in 5 - hardly an insignificant number (when you consider only 10% have dyslexia, and that's EVERYWHERE).

So, actually, there are going to be thousands of users affected by this - potentially 1 in 5 of DS's total membership. Not 'a few'. And it's got nothing to do with not liking change - that's insulting to those with genuine problems.

Please refer to what I've already posted in reply to the previous poster - there are lots of things wrong with the changes.

How arrogant, rude and selfish. "I'm all right Jack", is that it? Just moaning, are they, the ones (the 20% - more if you include other vision problems, probably more like 30%) who aren't moaning about change for change's sake, but about the fact that it literally hurts their eyes. God help anyone in your personal life who needs your empathy - actually, I hope there isn't anyone.

word.
  • Options
    sertonserton Posts: 730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually have to close one eye to see this otherwise I go cross eyed looking at it. IT's odd, because I don't have any vision problems as far as I am aware, but this is odd.

Maybe I am tired but yeah, if I close one eye the site is easier for me to read.
  • Options
    Sharon69erSharon69er Posts: 496
    Forum Member
    Give them a chance, Rome wasn't built in a day.
  • Options
    Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member
    There's nothing wrong with the changes. Embrace the changes and get on with it.

Thank you for speaking for everyone including me who has glaucoma.

Maybe you could share your knowledge of vision problems and make a complete fool of yourself.
  • Options
    SideshowMarkSideshowMark Posts: 492
    Forum Member
    Sharon69er wrote: »
    Give them a chance, Rome wasn't built in a day.

Rome wasn't, but I reckon this update was.
  • Options
    MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thank you so much for this. It explains why so many of us cannot read the medium type on the screen.
    I did wonder if the people who tested the site did by chance have an 'eyesight type' that meant they could not see what was happening to a lot of us - all suddenly reporting the same visual problem.
    Add those who say they have trouble reading it after cataract ops and it's easier to understand the 'snow blindness' issue.
  • Options
    NortherlyNortherly Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks ok on my ZX81
  • Options
    Sharon69erSharon69er Posts: 496
    Forum Member
    Rome wasn't, but I reckon this update was.

You're not wrong there :D
  • Options
    ricardoyluciaricardoylucia Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They have us by the short and curlies. Nobody listens anymore. Typical of today's problems, throughtout the world - arrogant, deaf, rude and bad mannered.

No forum member will leave, as they know there is no other similar forum website out there in cyberland.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They have us by the short and curlies. Nobody listens anymore. Typical of today's problems, throughtout the world - arrogant, deaf, rude and bad mannered.

No forum member will leave, as they know there is no other similar forum website out there in cyberland.

I think it will be fairly easy to tell if fewer people are posting.

For instance, I am normally to be found on the Broadcasting section of the site. If I click on 'Broadcasting' at 8 in the morning (having looked for the last time at 10pm the previous night) nearly every thread on the front page (about 30) will have had a new post since I last looked at 10pm. Typically, the last thread still on page 1 will have had its last post at about 9.30pm (so in other words no post for 10 and a half hours. And ofcourse, every time someone starts a new thread it will send the bottom thread off to page 2.

So- if by Friday I am logging in at 8am and there are still threads on page 1 that haven't had a post for 12 hours that will tell me there have been fewer posts (well fewer new threads started)

So, infact it will be fairly easy for me to work out if fewer people are posting.
  • Options
    adamc01adamc01 Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    I like the new website and forum, they could add more colour to the website but its a modern website and I like what they did with the links at the top that white box was way too big but give it time people its not as bad as all the youtube layouts.
  • Options
    jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MargMck wrote: »
    Thank you so much for this. It explains why so many of us cannot read the medium type on the screen.
    I did wonder if the people who tested the site did by chance have an 'eyesight type' that meant they could not see what was happening to a lot of us - all suddenly reporting the same visual problem.
    Add those who say they have trouble reading it after cataract ops and it's easier to understand the 'snow blindness' issue.

My pleasure. I have contacted DS about it (after all, they have asked for our feedback...) but so far no reply. What a surprise....

I also clicked on a thread which gave advice on how to change the 'skin' (if that's the right word - I'm not very tech-savvy on these terms!). It allowed those on Google Chrome to make the screen more blue - much more like the original colouring. I've done it, and it's brilliant for my daughter (and even for me - with so-called 'normal' vision I was getting headaches after 5 minutes, and now no headaches at all). However, when I went back to the thread (literally 3 minutes later) to thank the person who posted the link the thread had gone! So much for DS appreciating feedback - they just shut down anyone who tells people who to do away with the new version.

Which is why I'm not holding my breath with regard to hearing back from DS with my comments about Irlens and other sight problems such as you mention :mad:
  • Options
    turquoiseblueturquoiseblue Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You clearly haven't read the feedback thread. This isn't 'we don't like it because it's different'. My issue isn't a few lost smilies and the white colour scheme with small typeface (although it does give me a headache within 10 mins of use, which is utterly bizarre). IT DOES NOT FUNCTION CORRECTLY in many fundamental ways. I'm having to use the more basic Mobile view just to read a post, and even that has errors, like "submit reply" disappearing, requiring you to hit 'back' and redo several times, as I've had to do with this post.

But hey, if YOU'RE alright, then people should just accept the mistakes, right?

No need to shout, it's not my fault.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No need to shout, it's not my fault.

It might be. We've only got your word for it!

:cool:

At least I've got a pair of sunglasses.
  • Options
    Dirty RoosterDirty Rooster Posts: 1,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a feedback thread?
    Good.
    This thing is hard to read. It's as if there's some internet-global advice that has made many forum the world over suddely go to shite with crappy wavy text that's too small and too pale.
    Next we'll feel hundreds of scripts running in the background slowing everything to a crawl.
    Muppets.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite like it now. Its a lot more stylish than the old one. Still a couple of things like the gaps on either side of the page and the cheap smileys, but other than that, its fine. Looks great on my smart phone.

But I do think someone should reply to our feedback. Its just rude not to.