Options

"What would have done before the internet was invented" and other nonsense people say

2»

Comments

• Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't mind when people say things like that in general but it does amuse me when you get people saying things like 'well back in my day I didn't have the luxury of this or that'. But they are talking to people who are the same age as them, or older.

There is someone on here who does it a lot, talking as if they are the only one but so many DS posters are older than them :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Before the internet you wouldn't have been able to post that on a forum.

Your mind = blown.
  • Options
    and101and101 Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Life' is not any easier with the Internet just differently difficult.

But I do find it a great cure for boredom or for procrastination.

My life would be more difficult without the internet. I make websites for a living. :D
  • Options
    spotty_catspotty_cat Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    I don't mind when people say things like that in general but it does amuse me when you get people saying things like 'well back in my day I didn't have the luxury of this or that'. But they are talking to people who are the same age as them, or older.

There is someone on here who does it a lot, talking as if they are the only one but so many DS posters are older than them :D

Maybe they are lying about their age?:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    I lost a good job due to the arrival of internet
  • Options
    The FinisherThe Finisher Posts: 10,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bex_123 wrote: »

Ah, the only OAP in the village syndrome :D
  • Options
    Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Life' is not any easier with the Internet just differently difficult.

But I do find it a great cure for boredom or for procrastination.

No, it is easier. There's a whole host of things it makes easier. I can do my entire christmas shopping without having to leave the house and put up with idiots and dawdlers in shops. Before the internet I really struggled to find any clothes I liked in regular shops and had to travel miles to different shops to even stand a vague chance of seeing something I liked. Now with the internet, there's entire sites and shops dedicated to what I like at just the click of a button.

Life's a lot easier when you don't have to sit and wait for Ceefax pages to load to see the footy scores too.

Life's a lot easier without having to get road maps out to try and work out directions somewhere.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    InMyArms wrote: »
    Does anyone find this infuriating?

When people say things to me like "Well what would you have done before the internet was invented" I always feel like saying "WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE DONE IF YOU HADN'T HAD A NICE HOME AND HAD TO LIVE IN THE AGES OF CAVEMEN?". Society develops, stop living in the past. *rant over*
    Have you considered that maybe `people` are tired of other people ranting about the internet:)
  • Options
    Seth1Seth1 Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    been none the wiser about the knobs I was about to encounter
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I well remember before we had DVD's, video recorders, TV, Washing machines, Refrigerator's, and hot running water.

We listened to the wireless, sitting in front of a roaring fire toasting crumpet's. :p

Did this last night, as there was a power cut:p
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seth1 wrote: »
    been none the wiser about the knobs I was about to encounter

Literally:o:p:confused:
  • Options
    HoffmisterHoffmister Posts: 12,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My first mobile was analogue.

I built my first PC with 28k modem

Used AOL,DIDNT we all?

Played Doom direct to dial up server not internet

The sold servers for a living so got a life and went sailing alot without even a tv onboard.

Now most theque is unusable to me re poor eye sight not that I care