Options

Non-smokers who flap their hands around when you walk past them

Comments

• Options
    candyfloss2000candyfloss2000 Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dare Devil wrote: »
    and I think it's rude to blow your secondary smoke into other people's faces - smokers or non smokers. And the fact that people's disgust makes you want to do it even more makes you even ruder.

muhahahaha. You have no sense of irony.:D:D
  • Options
    biggle2000biggle2000 Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The worst one is having to walk past loads of smokers at the entrance to a hospital. Especially if you arent feeling well:mad:
  • Options
    Dare DevilDare Devil Posts: 118,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    muhahahaha. You have no sense of irony.:D:D

yes, I understand that the hand flap thing is rude, but you are doing something rude (blowing smoke in someone's face) to get that reaction.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chris1978 wrote: »
    My friend not only waves the hands violently, but also starts false coughing and choking very loudly so whoever is near knows what's going on. My other half is a smoker and she does it at him as well. It gets very annoying and embarrassing.

It IS embarrassing when a person does that.

I was in a lift with a woman when one guy, whose smell made it clear he just had a smoke, stepped into the lift. The woman suddenly flapped her hand dramatically and coughed violently. The man looked embarrassed and apologised as he took a step away from her, but she kept coughing and made a big show with the hand-flapping.

She kept it up so much that I snapped "Don't be so ****ing rude!" without thinking. I just felt she had no right to humiliate him like that. It wasn't as if he was blowing the smoke into her face.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnny-br wrote: »
    The funniest one of these I ever saw was coming out of South Kensington tube station on a warm summer's day.

I lit up just by the flower stall and there was a small gaggle of Japanese girls, some of whom were wearing those white masks that make them look like they fear an anthrax attack :D

One of the girls in the masks smelt my cigarette, turned round, gave me angry evil eyes over her mask and... (how to describe it) held her arm completely horizontally in front of her face and, holding her arm perfectly still, flapped her hand, from the wrist, as fast as it could possibly go in front of her face :D

it was such a shame no one I knew was there at the time, as I've never been able to convey how funny this was at the time :D

Funny and weird. :D Japan has loads of smokers and places that allow smoking. Much more than here in England.
  • Options
    BumblingBeeBumblingBee Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    There are some serious scumbags in this thread, wishing death and PAINFUL death at that on people just for smoking!? What the f*ck... "You have an addiction/like a cigarette? You absolute monsters, I can't wait til you all burn to death :D "

That's some f*cked up shit right there :O
  • Options
    cressida100cressida100 Posts: 3,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    biggle2000 wrote: »
    The worst one is having to walk past loads of smokers at the entrance to a hospital. Especially if you arent feeling well:mad:

I work in a hospital and it's hard to believe how people are so addicted that they drag their drips and god knows what else down to the main entrance for a ****. Many of them have had heart operations, oh the irony ;)

What smokers don't seem to get is that that they do not have to blow smoke into somebody's face to be offensive as they normally stink of smoke anyway.

The other annoying thing smoker's do is hold their **** out and if you are passing by you have to dodge the lit end :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What smokers don't seem to get is that that they do not have to blow smoke into somebody's face to be offensive as they normally stink of smoke anyway.

I think they get it, but what they - and even though I don't smoke, I - don't get is why do some people have to be so rude about it?

There are non-smokers who stink. Of perfume, food, strong body odour, body lotion, etc. We don't flap hands and hack violently when people get a whiff of those smells, do we?
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FilliA wrote: »
    Smokers stink. Sometimes on the bus I find myself near someone who smells like they have slept in a really full ashtray and then filled their coat pockets with old butts and it makes me heave. It stinks if you are stuck walking behind someone smoking, in a way that car fumes don't smell. People who smoke in bus shelters should be burned . Why are some people so inconsiderate?

I dread to think how precious and delicate little flowers like you would have coped at all even 30 years ago, let alone 40 years ago.
  • Options
    LeeahLeeah Posts: 20,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    I think they get it, but what they - and even though I don't smoke, I - don't get is why do some people have to be so rude about it?

There are non-smokers who stink. Of perfume, food, strong body odour, body lotion, etc. We don't flap hands and hack violently when people get a whiff of those smells, do we?

But even if they smell bad, its not bad for you (healthwise), breathing their smoke in is.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    I dread to think how precious and delicate little flowers like you would have coped at all even 30 years ago, let alone 40 years ago.

Problem is most none smokers just want smokers to show a bit of consideration and I suspect most smokers do show consideration.

Try and minimise the impact of your smoke on other people and in turn they will probably not be overly bothered about a waft of smoke every now and again.

Of course on both sides, you will always get arrogant gits that think they own the world but that is the same in any walk of life.

My experiences in the majority of cases, fall on a level of compromise from both sides. It is only in internet fantasy land, things are so black and white.
  • Options
    FilliAFilliA Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    30 years ago I lived in a house where both parents smoked and didn't mind the smell then. 20 years ago I didn't smoke but boyf did and I didn't mind the smell. Ten years ago I smoked and obviously didn't notice the smell. Since giving up I find the smell noticeable and disgusting. Times have changed, it used to be usual to have people smoking round you in restaurants and it was something you hardly noticed. Imagine the uproar now if someone sparked up next to you while you we're eating.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Speaking as an ex smoker a smoker will never ever understand how offensive they smell unless they are in a position of having given it up.

We ex smokers are the most sensitive to the smell :D
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Speaking as an ex smoker a smoker will never ever understand how offensive they smell unless they are in a position of having given it up.

All of us were non-smokers to start with.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DianaFire wrote: »
    All of us were non-smokers to start with.

Yes of course but you get used to the smell and don't notice it when you start smoking. You won't understand unless you stop.

Personally I think there should be better provision for smoker's and that would maybe stop everyone from lighting up the minute they went outside. Even back when I was a smoker in the 70s that was pretty common ;):D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leeah wrote: »
    But even if they smell bad, its not bad for you (healthwise), breathing their smoke in is.

A strong perfume smell tends to give me a bad headache, but that's not the point.

I just think it's extremely rude to cough violently and wave hands around like a silly little drama queen whenever a smoker walks past. In my books, those drama queens are as offensive and idiotic as inconsiderate smokers.
  • Options
    John146John146 Posts: 12,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am trying desperately to think of a thread title that involves:

1. Smokers versus non smokers
    2. Old folks driving cars
    3. Pensioners having bus passes
    4. Driving in general
    5. Parking spaces at Supermarkets

If I could 'we' could have a thread that would go on forever.:D:D
  • Options
    candyfloss2000candyfloss2000 Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dare Devil wrote: »
    yes, I understand that the hand flap thing is rude, but you are doing something rude (blowing smoke in someone's face) to get that reaction.

fgs please read what i said properly. I NEVER do that. It simply MAKES me want to when they instigate the rudeness. In reality i dont blow smoke in peoples faces i avoid it in fact. Please, read properly or dont respond to someone's thread til you have.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

We ex smokers are the most sensitive to the smell :D

:D I can understand that but surely, you would agree that making a drama out of someone's smoking is silly? Rather passive aggressive, too.
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes of course but you get used to the smell and don't notice it when you start smoking. You won't understand unless you stop.

Your argument makes no sense. Sorry. We all started as non-smokers, you say we got used to it and that's why we couldn't smell it as non-smokers. You're an ex-smoker who can now smell it but couldn't during or before. There are plenty of never-smokers on here who say they can so therefore didn't get used to it like you claim.

I can certainly whiff some porkies here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D I can understand that but surely, you would agree that making a drama out of someone's smoking is silly? Rather passive aggressive, too.

There are ignorant smokers and ignorant non smokers.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    with a cigarette - and that expression of disgust on their face as in 'eww you horrible smoker dont invade my space'
    VERY rude behaviour - get a life....please....get a life. It's very offensive and you are automatically an old fogey if you do this. :rolleyes::D:D

(P.S - it only makes me blow more smoke in your face - Just saying).

I always do that as why should dirty smokers invade my space and not ask my permission first.

There is nothing worse than polluting the air with more chemicals than a Nazi gas chamber.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funny and weird. :D Japan has loads of smokers and places that allow smoking. Much more than here in England.

Yes and furthermore she was wearing a MASK that covered her NOSE! I wasn't that close to her either. I dread to think how offended the poor flower must have been the entire time she was out of her hotel.

What is with those masks anyway? Is it an illness thing or a pollution thing? I only noticed it starting with the SARS virus but they seem to be more widespread in summer... :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always do that as why should dirty smokers invade my space and not ask my permission first.

There is nothing worse than polluting the air with more chemicals than a Nazi gas chamber.

Ladies and gentlemen, Godwin's Law invoked and we're only on page 5!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DianaFire wrote: »
    Your argument makes no sense. Sorry. We all started as non-smokers, you say we got used to it and that's why we couldn't smell it as non-smokers. You're an ex-smoker who can now smell it but couldn't during or before. There are plenty of never-smokers on here who say they can so therefore didn't get used to it like you claim.

I can certainly whiff some porkies here.

Lol do you think I am 'proud' of being an ex smoker! My son never lets me live it down:o. There is no need to call me a liar either.

The fact is that an awful lot of ex smoker's find the smell extremely offensive. Hopefully another ex smoker will understand. For information this is not my argument just my point of view. :)