What a dreadful series this is - 2011

Comments

• Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Servalan wrote: »
    We agree again! :D;)

'Come On Eileen' was just beyond ridiculous. No wonder Anita was stomping around - that track is about as far away from a samba as you can get.

I noticed on last night's ITT that Craig did not refer to the music when commenting on the lack of hip action in Robbie and Harry's salsas. Clearly it wouldn't be the 'done thing' to criticise the music choices, even though they must be in part responsible ... :rolleyes:

Have you ever heard a judge criticise a music choice?

The show's producers are responsible for the music choices. It has been said by the BBC that the pros and the dancers choose the music, but what they don't say it's likely to be from a short list provided for them. No judge is going to step out of line and criticise the BBC.

This is the reason that in my opinion this has been the worst series for music choices.
  • Options
    puddytatpuddytat Posts: 6,351
    Forum Member
    This series has been one of the BEST so far. I've loved it each week, not so much the Wembley episode, but this whole series has been so enjoyable, I've loved it.
  • Options
    HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    puddytat wrote: »
    This series has been one of the BEST so far. I've loved it each week, not so much the Wembley episode, but this whole series has been so enjoyable, I've loved it.

With that reply, I'd guess you're very yound and female :D However, that aside, my view is that I am on the horns of a dilemma. Should I stick this series out to the bitter end, as I don't care a fig as to whom the winner might be.
    Whether I watch it in the future in now very doubtful, taking into consideration the dumbed down show now on (appealing more to the masses or larger audience, apparently). No, I think that it is time to draw a line under SCD and free up time next Autumn to do something more constructive with my time.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    millie3millie3 Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HHGTTG wrote: »
    With that reply, I'd guess you're very yound and female :D However, that aside, my view is that I am on the horns of a dilemma. Should I stick this series out to the bitter end, as I don't care a fig as to whom the winner might be.
    Whether I watch it in the future in now very doubtful, taking into consideration the dumbed down show now on (appealing more to the masses or larger audience, apparently). No, I think that it is time to draw a line under SCD and free up time next Autumn to do something more constructive with my time.:rolleyes:

Every year people say that but every year they come back ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    katmobile wrote: »
    I'm sort of in the middle on this one - I think SCD has lost something I miss the days where everyone started off doing one of two dances until about halfway through the competition and it was obvious what those dances were. I don't mind the props per see but it's the 'faffing 'abart' that gets to me. The contestants this year are not the best bunch we've ever seen (I think that was series five) but they are not the worst (stand up series seven) although I grant you they're not the most charismatic bunch - Russell (no pun intended) and Nancy (who was certainly a unique to SCD) excepted. Alex at the top of the leaderboard has also proved that someone from the middle ranks can rise to the top (even if it is in a week where the dancing on the whole was a bit underwelming).

I agree that the music choices are uninspired (and I'm willing to take the word of the less rhymically challenged than myself that they are just plain wrong in a lot of cases - not that that's new even I could tell that Zoe Lucker was disadvantated by being allocated the Flo and the Machine version of 'You've Got the Love' for her paso) - there have been a lot of tracks we've heard before used (surely there are more British artists worth dancing to than Elt) and I had to watch Alex's tango twice because the incongruity of someone dancing to 'when you want to suck it to' on a family entertainment show was distracting me from watching the actual dance the first time around. I too miss some old pros and think Alesha as a judge is an abomination.

However - my favourite series was five and I remember a lot of grumbling at the time about gimmicks like the Jordan/Logan wife swap, soap opera elements taking over the show, the dance-off, Arlene's foot in mouth comments about to Ola being a pole being used as a pole and other things so complaining that the show has lost its way is nothing new. At least people we now have contestants doing two dances before they're kicked off and no chance for the judges to keep their pets on matter what the majority of the voting public think. Things get better, things get worse and hopefully if we keep hoping then the bad things will be phased out. Moria Ross has gone so some things might get better.

Well said.
    And we mustn't start blaming Dave Arch and his band. They play what they're told to play, at very short notice. There are some pretty good musicians in that band (not so sure about the singers !!!) but this senseless choice of music, for the Latin dances in particular, is what's leading to the dances being poor. Get the right music i.e. traditional stuff, and you'll stand a much better chance of getting the right dance !

Well said.
    edy10 wrote: »
    This forum is full of a bunch of moaners:(:(:mad::mad::mad:! If this serie is that dreadful why do you still watch it:mad::mad::mad:?

Not well said at all. Go and look up the word 'forum' and then read Buddy's reply about having an investment in the series.
    I think they (whoever "they" are) made a deliberate decision to "dumb down" the show. Of course "dumb down" would not be in their lexicon, it's just making SCD more attractive to a wider audience.
    In some ways, I can see the sense in doing that. If they can attract more viewers without alienating the existing core of fans of the show, they have an even bigger success on their hands.
    So now we have the little squabbles between Craig and Len pushed up a notch to rival the X-Factor judges. Bruno, who used to be funny and entertaining, has now gone completely off the richter scale and probably needs a straightjacket..and his remarks are often quite smutty (and believe me. I'm no prude)
    The over-marking, again reminiscent of X-Factor, everything has to be "bigged-up", with the marks corresponding to the hyperbole.
    Then we have the absurd VT's, they wouldn't be out of place on CBeebies. The props, the music, and the guest singers. The dances, I've lost count of the number of times my wife has asked..what are they supposed to be doing ?..and (unlike me) she does know a thing or two about dancing.
    Unlike many others, I don't blame this year's celebrity contestants. They may not be the best we've ever had, but they're certainly not the worst either.
    There was potential there from week 1. Jason, Harry and Holly (not so much Chelsee in the beginning) all looked sure to improve, but they haven't..much. Jason and Harry have remained pretty much the same for weeks now. Holly has been hit and miss..mostly miss. Even Chelsee (the biggest success story of the series) seems to have peaked.
    Something has changed, the emphasis on showboating over technique ?..could be, but I'll leave that to those with the expertise to comment.

Well said again.
    Exactly and I know that every time a couple get on that dance floor they might WOW me and that makes it worth watching! I've got 7 years invested in this show! :D

And finally, well said.

Lots of intelligent comment here that rather sums up my frustrations too. The contagion of dumbing down, relaxed rules, idiot VTs, persisting with Forsyth, f#@*$%g props - and yet, every now and again it really hits the spot (usually for me when Aliona or Holly are on screen - not sure why).

Wouldn't it be nice to have a producer brave enough to take a real chance? To insist on proper rules, no lifts, no props, appropriate music, camerawork that actually showed footwork and judging on merit rather than effort. It could still be sparkly and funny, it wouldn't have to be dry and we could even dispense with the ancien regime of cheesy, self indulgent presenters. I could write a blog about a show like that. Even my hamster would be interested.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,449
    Forum Member
    regardless of the dancers (composition of which is pretty much the same as other years - some terrible dancers, some ok dancers that can do latin or ballroom but not both, a few with real potential) this year has really been ruined by the lack of training footage and stupid VTs. That footage allows you to really look at the relationship between pro and celeb and it's often been my favourite bit. That's how we knew how the really strong relationships affected the dance - Jill and Darren, Ramps and Karen, Alesha and Matt - and I feel that's really missing this year.

I also think they've 'glazzmatazzed' the dances - samba/salsa are totally interchangeable, often don't recognise what dance someone is doing and they all do different things every week. What was wrong with one latin/ballroom dance each week, it allowed you to compare! How can you compare Holly's QS on Saturday with Chelsee's from four weeks ago?

Get rid of: Salsa, Charleston, VTs, use of props, random breaking of the rules, use of 10 paddles before the quarter finals, James Jordan, people booing in the audience

Bring back: Training footage, Ian Waite, docking points for rule breaking, two sets of couples doing the same dances each week, proper traditional music for tango, paso, etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    All the comments about "dumbing down" are insulting to the people who look to the TV for some family entertainment on Saturday evening.

Lets face it the show has never been up there with the Royal Ballet, which is the impression you would get from reading some posts on here.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    regardless of the dancers (composition of which is pretty much the same as other years - some terrible dancers, some ok dancers that can do latin or ballroom but not both, a few with real potential) this year has really been ruined by the lack of training footage and stupid VTs. That footage allows you to really look at the relationship between pro and celeb and it's often been my favourite bit. That's how we knew how the really strong relationships affected the dance - Jill and Darren, Ramps and Karen, Alesha and Matt - and I feel that's really missing this year.

I also think they've 'glazzmatazzed' the dances - samba/salsa are totally interchangeable, often don't recognise what dance someone is doing and they all do different things every week. What was wrong with one latin/ballroom dance each week, it allowed you to compare! How can you compare Holly's QS on Saturday with Chelsee's from four weeks ago?

Get rid of: Salsa, Charleston, VTs, use of props, random breaking of the rules, use of 10 paddles before the quarter finals, James Jordan, people booing in the audience

Bring back: Training footage, Ian Waite, docking points for rule breaking, two sets of couples doing the same dances each week, proper traditional music for tango, paso, etc.

Well said Dollystanford. I agree with every word, especially the Ian word !!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    All the comments about "dumbing down" are insulting to the people who look to the TV for some family entertainment on Saturday evening.

Lets face it the show has never been up there with the Royal Ballet, which is the impression you would get from reading some posts on here.

I think the dumbing down by the producer is extremely insulting to all that watch the programme!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sorry ez, the 'dumbing down' opinion isn't meant to be elitist. I know next to nothing about the technicalities of dancing but after a couple of series I began to understand the difference between a waltz and a foxtrot, I could compare one waltz to another and appreciate the improvement and achievements of celebs who started to master both technique and presentation.

After a while I could even spot rise and fall, bad hand placement, unfinished extensions and gapping in the quickstep. Anyone who could master these details and keep me entertained at the same time was doing pretty well (although eagle-eyed readers detected that looking like Christine Bleakley also scored quite highly in the JfW household).

The problem for a lot of us is that the reduced requirements of the dances these days actually dilutes the entertainment. How often do you hear genuine criticism of dance technique from the panel? Don't you get tired of the wallpaper paste that is Alesha's/Len's/Bruno's stock in trade - 'You captured the spirit of the dance', 'you got the party started', 'Not your dance/commend you for trying' blah, blah, blah?

And in the absence of any rigorous application of even basic rules, everything blends into a bland, showbizzy gloop that has no relevance. I want to see someone do a better AT than Mark and Karen, I want to see if someone can top Natasha Kaplinsky's waltz or Rachel and Vincent doing a rumba.

I'm not looking for the Royal Ballet or for meaningful comment on 21st century Britain, I want Saturday night viewing too - but if you reduce everything to the 'just go out and have a good time and don't bother with any rules' level then, really, what's the point? The shiny, glitzy fun has to be based on something; take the basic requirements away and you've got nothing left to pin the sequins to.
  • Options
    BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry ez, the 'dumbing down' opinion isn't meant to be elitist. I know next to nothing about the technicalities of dancing but after a couple of series I began to understand the difference between a waltz and a foxtrot, I could compare one waltz to another and appreciate the improvement and achievements of celebs who started to master both technique and presentation.

After a while I could even spot rise and fall, bad hand placement, unfinished extensions and gapping in the quickstep. Anyone who could master these details and keep me entertained at the same time was doing pretty well (although eagle-eyed readers detected that looking like Christine Bleakley also scored quite highly in the JfW household).

The problem for a lot of us is that the reduced requirements of the dances these days actually dilutes the entertainment. How often do you hear genuine criticism of dance technique from the panel? Don't you get tired of the wallpaper paste that is Alesha's/Len's/Bruno's stock in trade - 'You captured the spirit of the dance', 'you got the party started', 'Not your dance/commend you for trying' blah, blah, blah?

And in the absence of any rigorous application of even basic rules, everything blends into a bland, showbizzy gloop that has no relevance. I want to see someone do a better AT than Mark and Karen, I want to see if someone can top Natasha Kaplinsky's waltz or Rachel and Vincent doing a rumba.

I'm not looking for the Royal Ballet or for meaningful comment on 21st century Britain, I want Saturday night viewing too - but if you reduce everything to the 'just go out and have a good time and don't bother with any rules' level then, really, what's the point? The shiny, glitzy fun has to be based on something; take the basic requirements away and you've got nothing left to pin the sequins to.

*** Stands up and claps ***
  • Options
    BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    regardless of the dancers (composition of which is pretty much the same as other years - some terrible dancers, some ok dancers that can do latin or ballroom but not both, a few with real potential) this year has really been ruined by the lack of training footage and stupid VTs. That footage allows you to really look at the relationship between pro and celeb and it's often been my favourite bit. That's how we knew how the really strong relationships affected the dance - Jill and Darren, Ramps and Karen, Alesha and Matt - and I feel that's really missing this year...

Dolly I think you are spot on and I've only just realised that if you don't watch ITT, then you only see the cheesy VTs. I feel really stupid for not realising this before. What are the producers thinking of doing this? :(
  • Options
    EmmersonneEmmersonne Posts: 4,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another vote for hatred of the stupid VTs :mad:
  • Options
    I heart KellyI heart Kelly Posts: 1,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HHGTTG wrote: »

I justed posted something similar on another thread

feeling like a SCD orphan these days
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 379
    Forum Member
    This forum is full of a bunch of moaners:(:(:mad::mad::mad:! If this serie is that dreadful why do you still watch it:mad::mad::mad:?

Because I like ranting- doesn't mean I don't enjoy the show! ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    I'm with you. Go back about three years before Jay Hunt got rid of Arlene and everything started going downhill. And then we got Moira Razzamatazz Ross

I think you've hit the nail on the head. Ever since Ross got her mitts on Strictly, it has gone downhill. I keep hoping that once she's gone the show will be better, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm fed up with show dancing, poor choreography, naff music choices and daft props. So disappointed with this series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have been saying that I may have to stop watching as I really have not enjoyed the series and Wembley was even worse.

I might have to just accept that SCD is no longer for me
  • Options
    SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People always say they can't stand SCD any more, it's the death of SCD etc. etc. etc. and yet you see them coming back for more. Glutton for punishment? Or Z-Factor even worse? Or...?

I don't like the VT. I hated the pros sneaking in lifts (even the 'gladiators' like Jason of all people added those unnecessary lifts in their routine), strange behaviour from Len, Brucie doing his silly spasm-dance that purports to be tap (don't even start about his singing on the show!). Yes SCD is getting more and more annoying this series, BUT...

I LOVE CHELSEE AND PASHA! I HAVE MY FIRST MAN-CRUSH IN THE FORM OF THE PERFECT MALE SPECIMEN PASHA! So I will watch, at least till they leave the show, and hopefully that'll be until the final! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unfortunately I have been saying for a long time "no more SCD, it has gone downhill too far for me" for a while now...

and Wembley was the final straw.

It's like breaking up with a girlfriend or something. Just want to cut it out altogether now. Already stopped watching ITT and it will be easy to avoid the live show on Saturday
  • Options
    Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mystic I'm quite shocked to hear that because I know what a fan you used to be of the show. :( Are you going to the tour?

I know, it pains me to say it! But I started dancing because of Strictly, and Strictly is no longer about dancing, so it's lost its sparkle for me. Even last year had redeeming points - the final 3 couples, even if the final itself was a letdown. But I was already getting sick of themed weeks, props, lack of technical progression, overmarking, lack of decent pro dances like we used to get, which made me love the show so much.

I am going to the tour, it's a tradition really now, and I'm looking forward to meeting up with friends. But I'm also going to Midnight Tango again and looking forward to it so much more! The only part of the tour that really excites me at the minute is that Ian and Natalie are dancing together, because they're a brilliant partnership and lovely people, and I've got everything crossed that they get a showdance! I have no favourites from this series, will be staring at Harry a bit because I'm of the generation who fancied him as a young teenager ( :o ) and that's about all!

I don't think anyone was giving off that impression, but the show did actually at one time reflect its title: Strictly Come Dancing. It was a ballroom and Latin American dance competition, it's now just a showdance competition every week really given how few rules there are now. I enjoyed seeing people actually learn to dance the dances as they're supposed to be, with clever choreography from the pros that didn't involve props, too many lifts or stupid themes.

Absolutely spot on :)
  • Options
    SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    unfortunately I have been saying for a long time "no more SCD, it has gone downhill too far for me" for a while now...

and Wembley was the final straw.

It's like breaking up with a girlfriend or something. Just want to cut it out altogether now. Already stopped watching ITT and it will be easy to avoid the live show on Saturday

Enjoy your autumn/winter Saturday night! I hope you don't have to resort to watching the trash that is the Z-Factor. :D
  • Options
    Caramel CrunchCaramel Crunch Posts: 4,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well said!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoy your autumn/winter Saturday night! I hope you don't have to resort to watching the trash that is the Z-Factor. :D

not only does it feel like the break up of a long standing relationship but like I have been cheated on

won't resort to z-factor though
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    puddytat wrote: »

Stick to your guns, puddytat, say it how you see it.

There are other cougars and lynxes who actually agree with you.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hi there JfW and greetings to your sofa and to Hammy, or to Hammy 2.

The saying goes "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" - but this has been ignored by the BBC in this wretchedly stupid ratings war with X-Factor. As there's no commercial advertising on BBC, the ratings shouldn't matter a jot - there are definite audiences for both shows, and floaters who prefer to operate their remote as they like as soon as the family labrador has let it go.
    The tattiness of the current Strictly shows, with those ghastly VTs, is entirely due to this ratings war to capture the floaters.

I would imagine that the people most annoyed by the deliberate goofiness would be the pro dancers themselves. Does anybody think Flavia was really happy with seashells and canons and large props for every dance while Artem and Pasha reaped praise for their choreography? The costume change was the best prop - Russell only off the floor for 4 bars .

I think we have seen a couple of outstanding dances this series - I really loved the "Swan Lake" AS of Artem, I enjoyed the Argentine Tango of Anita, despite the wrong colouring of costumes and set. And I enjoy Aliona's routines and Kristina appears to be in 7th heaven as she can finally get some decent dancing in with Jason after the car crashes of her previous partners.

Halloween was fun, but the sets in general have got too sparkly - the show is too American, and the British audience want it toned down and back to British, roast beef and yorkshire pudding.

This will not happen until there is a complete revamp of the production team, including those who instruct the cameramen to shoot feet instead of hairdos.

The BBC is not infallible - its coverage of the Shanghai Olympics was unbelievably awful.