Options

Best sitcoms of all-time thread:

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
Forum Member
Thought this would make for good discussion. Obviously we'll all have our own specific faves and different order. I'll list my choices:

1. Black Adder
2. Fawlty Towers
3. Seinfeld
4. Porridge
5. Red Dwarf
6. Black Books
7. I'm Alan Partridge
8. Peep Show
9. Cheers
10. The Mighty Boosh

Nearly made it: Spaced, Dads Army, Only Fools and Horses, The Brittas Empire and IT Crowd.

In terms of American ones Seinfeld is the best by a fair way, whilst Friends is extremely overrated and not much cop at all.

Comments

• Options
    fainéantfainéant Posts: 2,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Goodnight Sweetheart should be in there somewhere.
  • Options
    piranhafishpiranhafish Posts: 891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fawlty Towers for me

I particularly like Fawlty's face in "The Germans" when he sees the black doctor

So many gloriously politically incorrect moments
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,783
    Forum Member
    Some of mine would be

Friends
    Golden Girls
    Soap
    Just Good Friends
    One Foot In The Grave
    Fawlty Towers
    Absolutely Fabulous

I'm sure there are more.. can't think right now
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't disagree with any of the above; would Extras count as a sit-com? That has got some of the most excrutiatingly embarrassing moments in it that I've ever seen.
  • Options
    pegasus2pegasus2 Posts: 5,293
    Forum Member
    Rising Damp
    Porridge
    Early Doors
    Peep Show
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    1. Coupling
    2. Blackadder
    3. Seinfeld
    4. Porridge
    5. Red Dwarf
    6. Fawlty Towers
    7. Only Fools and Horses
    8. One Foot in the Grave
    9. Simpsons
    10. Cheers
  • Options
    nellieknelliek Posts: 10,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Open all hours
    Ever decreasing circles
    Just good friends
    Porridge
    Hi-de-hi
    Soap
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    I would add

Frasier
    Dads Army
    Home Improvement
  • Options
    wombat79wombat79 Posts: 1,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In no particular order:

Curb Your Enthusiasm
    Seinfeld
    The Office (UK)
    The Royle Family
    Father Ted
    Blackadder
    The Young Ones
    Peep Show
    Spaced
    One Foot in the Grave

US humour has to be top notch to get on my list (but when it is it's fantastic) - I generally find British sitcoms much sharper.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frasier
    Seinfeld
    Father Ted
    Fawlty Towers
    The Office
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    Blackadder
    Max & Paddy’s Road to Nowhere
    Police Squad
    Peep Show
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I actually rate Adder and Fawlty about even as the 'best' with Seinfeld just behind. To me Fawlty is the quintessential sitcom and it's all great, but I love every single episode of Adder and there are more of them. For me II is the best Adder series with Goes Forth following closely behind: All-time fave episodes would prob be "Great Boo's up!" ("I sit on Nathaniel! Two spikes would be an extravagance!"), "Corporal Punishment" ("Deny everything, Baldrick!" ..."You are private Baldrick, are you not?" "NO!") and "Bells" from Series II ("...its a miracle, a boy without a winkle !"). Fave Fawlty episodes/quotes: "Gourmet Night" ("these eggs taste like you laid them"), "Waldorf Salad" ("Walnuts thats a laugh. It would be easier to find a packet of sliced Hippopotamus in suitcase sauce than a walnut in this bloody kitchen") and "Basil The Rat" ("Well, of course it's a rat! You have rats in Spain, don't you - or did Franco have them all shot?")

As for Seinfeld, I always prefered it to more lauded American ones like Friends and Frasier. George and Kramer are great. My fave all-time episode of Seinfeld is "The Seven". I love it when George suggests 'Soda' for a girl's name, as the couple are looking confused, he says: "I solve problems, that's what i do". "The Marine Biologist" is great too; "The Jimmy", "The Junior Mint", "The Helllllllooooo", "The Shrinkage", "The Big Salad" are other very notable episodes. My favourite seasons are 5, 8 and 9, though they're all very good.

I also like the "Andrea Doria" where George is talking to the old man about the ship that went down and he can't believe so few people died on it when he thought it would be thousands. "It took 10 hours to sink after it hit the iceberg, it was like an old man getting into a hot bath". All of it's great and George has (nearly) all the best lines.

At it's best, whilst I thought Fools and Horses was very good at times it was too much a case of flogging a dead horse from about series 4 or so onwards for the most part, with all the specials and it's share of sub-par episodes. I just think it turned into a bit of a soap opera towards the end. It was better when Grandpa was in it and it following their 'schemes' with more detail. Just a few too many overall better shows in terms of both quantity and quality for me to puts Fools and Horse in the top 10.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ... is it just me or is The Vicar Of Dibley the single most overrated British sitcom ever to hit the screens, never found anything really funny at all about that show*

*This is presuming that people don't rate lowest common demoninator trash like A pint of Lager... highly to begin with. What Purile nonsense.
  • Options
    5th Horseman5th Horseman Posts: 10,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In no particular order:

Dad's Army
    Men Behaving Badly
    The New Statesman
    Coupling
    Red Dwarf
    The I.T. Crowd
    Blackadder
    Father Ted
    Drop The Dead Donkey

My Hero (I'm probably the only one and it's only the ones with Ardal O'Hanlon).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Father Ted nearly made my mearly made it list. Very good show, Dougal's vacant looks are priceless. I have to admit, though I've got a wee bit sick of it recently with the re-runs seemingly on all the time.
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only Fools and Horses
    The Royle Family
    Goodnight Sweetheart
    Porridge
    Rising Damp
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Black Books definitely needs more love and respect.
  • Options
    gladiator18gladiator18 Posts: 3,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    friends
  • Options
    FunkmasterTFunkmasterT Posts: 14,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My list will be mostly American, more recent, and not in any particular order...

Frasier
    Cheers
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Home Improvement
    Fresh Prince
    The Simpsons (not recently though:p)
    Coach
    The Cosby Show
    Red Dwarf
    Bewitched
  • Options
    spankyplugsspankyplugs Posts: 14,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nobody mentioned Larry Sanders yet?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dinnerladies.

I have watched every episode to death on Gold but I love it.

I don't find most American comedies funny but I did love Friends and The Golden Girls.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    Frasier
    Seinfeld
    Father Ted
    Fawlty Towers
    The Office
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    Blackadder
    Max & Paddy’s Road to Nowhere
    Police Squad
    Peep Show

Forgot to also mention Darkplace.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rule of F

my friends and I have discovered to have a fantastic sitcom you need to have an F in the title, there are some notable exceptions

my list would be

1.Blackadder
    2.Frasier
    3. Fawlty Towers
    4. Red Dwarf
    5. Father Ted
    6. Friends
    7. The big bang theory
    8. Men behaving badly
  • Options
    AGNUS_BROWNAGNUS_BROWN Posts: 757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Vicar of Dibley
    Birds of a Feather
    2 point 4 Children
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Vicar of Dibley
    Birds of a Feather
    2 point 4 Children

Birds of a feather really ??? Oh my god
  • Options
    wombat79wombat79 Posts: 1,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually rate Adder and Fawlty about even as the 'best' with Seinfeld just behind. To me Fawlty is the quintessential sitcom and it's all great, but I love every single episode of Adder and there are more of them. For me II is the best Adder series with Goes Forth following closely behind: All-time fave episodes would prob be "Great Boo's up!" ("I sit on Nathaniel! Two spikes would be an extravagance!"), "Corporal Punishment" ("Deny everything, Baldrick!" ..."You are private Baldrick, are you not?" "NO!") and "Bells" from Series II ("...its a miracle, a boy without a winkle !").

As for Seinfeld, I always prefered it to more lauded American ones like Friends and Frasier. George and Kramer are great. My fave all-time episode of Seinfeld is "The Seven". I love it when George suggests 'Soda' for a girl's name, as the couple are looking confused, he says: "I solve problems, that's what i do". "The Marine Biologist" is great too; "The Jimmy", "The Junior Mint", "The Helllllllooooo", "The Shrinkage", "The Big Salad" are other very notable episodes. My favourite seasons are 5, 8 and 9, though they're all very good.

I also like the "Andrea Doria" where George is talking to the old man about the ship that went down and he can't believe so few people died on it when he thought it would be thousands. "It took 10 hours to sink after it hit the iceberg, it was like an old man getting into a hot bath". All of it's great and George has (nearly) all the best lines.

Blackadder is an absolute classic - as well as those great quotes above I love Lord Flashheart 'Hey there Nursie, like the beard - gives me something to hang on to!' :D

As for Seinfeld - check out the Seinfeld thread in the cult forum for likeminded people. I love series 4 and 5 the best, but they're all quality really.