Options

EBC (English Broadcasting Corporation) (Part 3)

Comments

• Options
    KoalaKoala Posts: 6,082
    Forum Member
    pedrok wrote: »
    It seems to have taken up to 8 days before the 'national' news caught on regarding the lack of water in Northern Ireland. I doubt it would have taken as long had this shortage had happened in Essex!

The strange thing is, it is not the UK government who is sending over large amounts of water to N.I., but the SCOTTISH government.:eek:

We Celtic races look after each other.....;)
  • Options
    pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikw wrote: »
    Do you hate the fact they retained the Ashes that much?

First time they've done it on Australian soil in a generation - it's a HUGE story.

I have no doubt it is a huge story, I don't have a problem with the coverage given to it. However, as was pointed out by Toland, there was an equally huge sporting story last summer, that received very little, if any, coverage on the main 'national' news headlines, it certainly never made the opening headlines in any broadcast.

One story involves a Scottish success, one an English success. We know what one was ignored, and what one got full coverage.
  • Options
    iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Koala wrote: »
    This is Iain's style I am afraid.:(

I simply ignore him most of the time......

FFS.

In a recent example it was you who made the argument that local should be within a 30/50 mile radius.

Based on your definition that would mean much of England would not have a local station.

I think we both know your ignoring me has precisely nothing to do with my style, and everything to do with you being too stubborn to concede that point.

Iain
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have no doubt it is a huge story, I don't have a problem with the coverage given to it. However, as was pointed out by Toland, there was an equally huge sporting story last summer, that received very little, if any, coverage on the main 'national' news headlines, it certainly never made the opening headlines in any broadcast.

One story involves a Scottish success, one an English success. We know what one was ignored, and what one got full coverage.

is the argument here that Scotland winning a test series in rugby against Argentina is as big a sporting story as England retaining the Ashes?

Really?

Iain
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iain wrote: »
    is the argument here that Scotland winning a test series in rugby against Argentina is as big a sporting story as England retaining the Ashes?

Really?

Iain

Yes! Why not?
  • Options
    Kevin1960Kevin1960 Posts: 5,613
    Forum Member
    mikw wrote: »
    Do you hate the fact they retained the Ashes that much?

Not at all. I just hate cricket.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,718
    Forum Member

Which one is of interest to the greater amount of people?

Cricket is a bigger sport than Rugby Union.

The Ashes is a competition not just a tour.

The English and Welsh cricket team cannot just be shown on local TV or radio stations like say the Scottish rugby team.

England and Wales have a far greater population than Scotland.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Really?

Iain

Of course it isn't as has been proven in my last post, that won't stop some posters making irrational arguments about it to accuse the BBC of bias.
  • Options
    KoalaKoala Posts: 6,082
    Forum Member
    Jack1 wrote: »

....and that is all that matters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The strange thing is, it is not the UK government who is sending over large amounts of water to N.I., but the SCOTTISH government.:eek:

We Celtic races look after each other.....;)

I) People from Celtic nations are not a separate race,
    2) It makes far more sense to get the water from Scotland rather than England due to geographical issues.
    3) You look after Welsh and Northern Irish students when they want to come to university in Scotland :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member

No it isn't. Have you not read my post where I listed several reasons for differing levels of coverage?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ah well. Says more about you then.

It really doesn't Pedrok, it says more about you who ignores a valid point because you haven't got a a valid response, or your too afraid to say you made a mistake.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which one is of interest to the greater amount of people?

Cricket is a bigger sport than Rugby Union.

The Ashes is a competition not just a tour.

The English and Welsh cricket team cannot just be shown on local TV or radio stations like say the Scottish rugby team.

Rubbish.

The BBC is the national broadcaster. Population doesn't come into it.

Scotland winning a test series in the southern hemisphere for the first ever time is a huge sporting story.

Strange all the St Georges flags on show, very few Welsh flags! Don't think I ever heard the BBC describe it as a victory for the English and Welsh cricket team.

In what way is cricket a bigger sport than rugby.

A test series is a compitition.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It really doesn't Pedrok, it says more about you who ignores a valid point because you haven't got a a valid response, or your too afraid to say you made a mistake.

It really does Jack1.

There is nothing in my post to suggest that the English media is racist or that I made any sort of suggestion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No it isn't. Have you not read my post where I listed several reasons for differing levels of coverage?

Yes, and they are all rubbish.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely Iain.

Wish I was like you and always right about everything....

i'm not claiming to be right about everything, so you can give that childish crap a rest for a start.

its not my fault that you made an argument that demonstrated many parts of England don't have a local radio station, going by your definition.

which is fine, but to them have the bare faced nerve to say that i'm the one being difficult is ridiculous.

and why you bother to reply to posts, when you have no intention of saying anything remotely constructive, i have no idea.

why is that?

Iain
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes! Why not?

mainly because the Scotland v Argentina test series in rugby is not a famous sporting fixture steeped in history and tradition in the same way that the Ashes is.

Iain
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

actually, despite your selective quoting, no - its not all that matters.

but is a contributing factor.

is there any reason you keep misquoting people like this? because its very transparent.

Iain
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mainly because the Scotland v Argentina test series in rugby is not a famous sporting fixture steeped in history and tradition in the same way that the Ashes is.

Iain

And once again you bring in a strawman point. England beating Australia is a big sporting story, Scotland beating Argentina is a big sporting story.
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I question why a sporting event was the top story on a day when tens of thousands of people in Northern Ireland were without water.

But perhaps that's just me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It really does Jack1.

There is nothing in my post to suggest that the English media is racist or that I made any sort of suggestion.

If that was the case, then why did you use "foreign" when referring to the coach and then go on to say they would make "a good scape goat"?

If this is just an unintended message on your part then say so and I will drop the whole thing.
  • Options
    BMoizBMoiz Posts: 1,745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I) People from Celtic nations are not a separate race,
    2) It makes far more sense to get the water from Scotland rather than England due to geographical issues.
    3) You look after Welsh and Northern Irish students when they want to come to university in Scotland :rolleyes:

Why are you arguing against the moronic faux-nationalism of the Celtic renaissance as idealised by English Victorians with a penchant for romanticising everything? He'll keep doing it because it makes him happy and sets him apart from the English barbarians.

Pedrok: Really? You really think Scotland vs Argentina is a big news story? How is your world, btw? Still having to beat back the snarling dogs of the English imperialists?

But I especially enjoy your anti-English bias that sees anything positive about England as a negative towards Scotland. Of course, whenever there's a story about Scotland you check that there's an equivalent about England, Nireland or Wales. And you post the appropriate comment... What do you mean that doesn't happen?

You clearly hate English people for being English. Why not move to Tennessee and live with the other Scottish nationalists?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mark. wrote: »
    I question why a sporting event was the top story on a day when tens of thousands of people in Northern Ireland were without water.

But perhaps that's just me.

Fair point Mark, that's not say I agree with you, shame you posted in the wrong thread. This is not example of pro-English bias, but maybe the BBC did make the wrong decision here.
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, it was pro-English.

By all intents and purposes, the English cricket team is just that - English. And if it had been tens of thousands of people in England without water, then do we honestly believe that would have been knocked off the top by a major Northern Ireland sporting achievement?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rubbish.

The BBC is the national broadcaster. Population doesn't come into it.

It has to, otherwise how would the BBC prioritise stories for a half an hour news show?

If we didn't look at population then the BAFL would be on the same level as the SPL or the EPL. :rolleyes:
    Scotland winning a test series in the southern hemisphere for the first ever time is a huge sporting story.

Yes for the people of Scotland it was, but it certainly isn't as big as the Ashes story for the UK as a whole.

Strange all the St Georges flags on show, very few Welsh flags!

This has nothing to do with the BBC.

Don't think I ever heard the BBC describe it as a victory for the English and Welsh cricket team.

That is because many people refer to it as just the English team but of course Wales are included.
    In what way is cricket a bigger sport than rugby.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Top_ten_spectator_sports_in_britain

Not a great source admittedly but Sky did a survey a few years back which found Cricket to be more popular than Rugby union. It also is the national summer sport of the UK, I accept in Wales and Scotland Rugby Union is more popular but across the UK as a whole Cricket is more popular.